PDA

View Full Version : Question about Eldritch Blasts

MammonAzrael
2011-09-14, 05:27 PM
Since this hasn't gotten any responses in the Simple Q&A thread, I think it might need it's own:

When applying both a blast shape and an eldritch essence to a warlock's eldritch blast, you use the higher of the two spell levels to determine the equivalent spell level of that blast.

Does that mean if I apply both Beshadowed Blast and Eldritch Doom to my eldritch blast, the equivalent spell level would be 8, so the saving throw DC to avoid being blinding would be 18 + CHA mod? Basically, do high-level blast shapes increase the save DC of low-level eldritch essences?

Quietus
2011-09-14, 05:52 PM
Since this hasn't gotten any responses in the Simple Q&A thread, I think it might need it's own:

When applying both a blast shape and an eldritch essence to a warlock's eldritch blast, you use the higher of the two spell levels to determine the equivalent spell level of that blast.

Does that mean if I apply both Beshadowed Blast and Eldritch Doom to my eldritch blast, the equivalent spell level would be 8, so the saving throw DC to avoid being blinding would be 18 + CHA mod? Basically, do high-level blast shapes increase the save DC of low-level eldritch essences?

Not only that, but does your blast as a whole not use either 1/2 warlock level or 1/2 caster level as its effective spell level? And if so, does that replace the level for lower-level effects?

dextercorvia
2011-09-14, 05:59 PM
Not only that, but does your blast as a whole not use either 1/2 warlock level or 1/2 caster level as its effective spell level? And if so, does that replace the level for lower-level effects?

I believe that was errata'd out so that you could actually apply meta-SLA feats to EB.

@OP: That is correct.

MammonAzrael
2011-09-14, 06:02 PM

Eldritch Blast was errata'd (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a). It's level doesn't scale, it's a 1st level spell unless modified.

I believe that was errata'd out so that you could actually apply meta-SLA feats to EB.

@OP: That is correct.

*nod*

Xtomjames
2011-09-14, 06:04 PM
First off Eldritch Blast does not grant a saving throw, except in cases where the character gets a saving throw as resulting action caused by the eldritch blast or where it says specifically otherwise. A creature immune to the affect takes damage normally unless they're immune to eldritch blast in whole.

Saving DC for things like Sickening blast is 10+Eldritch Blast level (which is either half the caster level, or the level of an eldritch essence or blast shape which ever is higher) you do not add charisma.

**This is pre-errata**

Post Errata: I'm not sure if you do add your Charisma after the errata since your Eldritch Blast DC for certain invocations would be much lower and rather nurfed.

MammonAzrael
2011-09-14, 06:10 PM
First off Eldritch Blast does not grant a saving throw, except in cases where the character gets a saving throw as resulting action caused by the eldritch blast or where it says specifically otherwise. A creature immune to the affect takes damage normally unless they're immune to eldritch blast in whole.

Yes, I know. Which is why I quite clear in my question that Beshadowed Blast was being applied.

Saving DC for things like Sickening blast is 10+Eldritch Blast level (which is either half the caster level, or the level of an eldritch essence or blast shape which ever is higher) you do not add charisma.

I have no idea where you are getting this. Edritch Blast is an Invocation, as are Blast Shapes and Eldritch Essences. Page 7 clearly states that the DC for an invocation's save is 10 + equivalent spell level + Cha Mod. No where does it mention caster level (which is very different from spell level).

dextercorvia
2011-09-14, 06:13 PM
Yes, I know. Which is why I quite clear in my question that Beshadowed Blast was being applied.

I have no idea where you are getting this. Edritch Blast is an Invocation, as are Blast Shapes and Eldritch Essences. Page 7 clearly states that the DC for an invocation's save is 10 + equivalent spell level + Cha Mod. No where does it mention caster level (which is very different from spell level).

EB is not an invocation. However, shapes and essences are, and they would apply any time you were forcing a saving throw, so you add Cha.

MammonAzrael
2011-09-14, 06:15 PM
EB is not an invocation. However, shapes and essences are, and they would apply any time you were forcing a saving throw, so you add Cha.

Pre-errat this is true (Com. Aracne 8). However, post-errata:

Change “An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell
whose level is equal to one-half the warlock’s class
level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st
and a maximum of 9th when the warlock reaches 18th
level or higher” to “An eldritch blast is the equivalent
of a 1st-level spell. If you apply a blast shape or eldritch
essence invocation to your eldritch blast (see page 130),
your eldritch blast uses the level equivalent of the shape
or essence.”
Any other references to eldritch blast being something
other than the equivalent of a 1st-level spell should be
disregarded.
Any other references claiming that eldritch blast is not
an invocation should be disregarded.

dextercorvia
2011-09-14, 06:22 PM
Pre-errat this is true (Com. Aracne 8). However, post-errata:

Then you are fine. I didn't remember that bit at the end of the errata.