PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt War Weaver

alastordracul
2011-09-14, 06:08 PM
My DM wants me to play a healer. After some research I thought the War Weaver would make a fun healer/buffer. We are starting at 20th level. So far I am going Sorcerer6/War Weaver5/Spellguard of Silverymoon5/X and Cleric20. My race of choice so far is an aasimar. For healing I am taking Touch of Healing for utility healing and Mastery of Day and Night for basic healing. Flaws are open and I am able to take Sanctum Spell. Not sure what I should take for the last 4 levels. I am also thinking about learning Giant Size so I can buff our front line. I know the spell says personal but because it raised AC I can cast it as a touch spell via Spellguard.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-14, 10:43 PM
I'm counting 6 levels on the first side there, looking for things to cap off with?

Why Spellguard5? You do realize that there's no advantage after the first level dip that lets you cast Personal spells as Touch.

Personally, if it's going to be a 'balls to the wall' type campaign, here's what you can do:

Sorc6/War Weaver5/Legacy Champion5/Spellguard of Silverymoon1/Sorcerer3//Spontaneous Cloistered Cleric17/Sovereign Speaker3

Why? Simple:

Legacy Champion advances War Weaver, which means, among other things, the maximum spell level that can go into the weave, as well as number of spells that can be stored in it, both go up.

Congratulations, you can dump 9th level spells into the Weave, if you so chose. Have a nice day.

Oh, it gets better. Take a look at the Spontaneous Divine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) variant. Notice where it says 'you automatically know all domain spells'. Highlight this.

Now then, Soverign Speaker loses a single caster level... and gives you an extra domain every level.

So you start off with three domains... Knowledge and two others. Then you tack on an extra 3. THAT, my friend, is flexibility. If you can't cast it as a Sorcerer, odds are you can through some domain or another.

Some domains to look for:

Healing. While normally sub-par, at least you get all your healing spells, including Heal and Regenerate.

Liberation domain from the SRD nets you a whole bunch of 'fix it' spells. VERY handy. Also nets you Mind Blank and Greater Dispel Magic.

Plant. Entangle is one of the best 1st level spells in the game. Barkskin gives a natural armor bonus that explicitly stacks with other natural armor bonuses. Wall of Thorns is 'no save, no SR, just plain fail'. Plus your GM might let you use your rebuke/command plants to power divine feats.

Travel. So bub, where do ya wanna go? Seriously, this lets you play Party Taxi Cab.

Trickery. Time Stop and PaO both in one shot. What's not to like?

War. Magic Vestments, Blade Barrier, and Divine Power are all very lulz-worthy. Moreso when you are casting and persisting Divine Power on the whole party.

Darkness. Armor of Darkness is a hell of a lot of fun. It's a major Deflection bonus to AC, that caps out at +8!

Repose. Death Ward is the reason you cite for taking it. Slay Living and Destruction make you lethal in combat.

Douglas
2011-09-14, 11:28 PM
Why Spellguard5? You do realize that there's no advantage after the first level dip that lets you cast Personal spells as Touch.
That ability comes at level 4, actually, and the 5th level gives a caster level boost.

Legacy Champion advances War Weaver, which means, among other things, the maximum spell level that can go into the weave, as well as number of spells that can be stored in it, both go up.

Congratulations, you can dump 9th level spells into the Weave, if you so chose. Have a nice day.
An excellent option for a high-op game, though cheesy enough you should check with your DM whether he'll allow it.

If Sanctum Spell is allowed in a sufficiently noteworthy way to be worth mentioning, why aren't you using it to qualify early? Sorc 4 with Sanctum Spell can technically cast spells that count as 3rd level and can satisfy the prereqs for War Weaver. Sorcerer 4/War Weaver 5/Legacy Champion 5/Spellguard of Silverymoon 4 on the arcane side gets everything you need for up to 9th level personal spells going through the tapestry. For the final 2 levels, Archmage for Mastery of Shaping and any other High Arcana you like the look of is a good option.

Joshinthemosh
2011-09-14, 11:31 PM
I have always felt that a War Weaver Abjurant Champion would be quite a nice build, if for no other reason than a Shield spell thru the weave that gives a +8 or +9 to AC to everyone sounds awesome. And the whole good hit die, free quicken etc

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-14, 11:41 PM
I have always felt that a War Weaver Abjurant Champion would be quite a nice build, if for no other reason than a Shield spell thru the weave that gives a +8 or +9 to AC to everyone sounds awesome. And the whole good hit die, free quicken etc

If Legacy Champion is prohibited, this isn't a bad option. Make sure to pick up the Abjuration spell... from BoED was it... that gives armor bonus to AC as well. Unless your GM lets you apply the AbChamp bonus to Mage Armor, even though technically he shouldn't.

Free quicken any abjuration spell of 3rd or lower is a lot of fun. Would've been more fun with... let's all say it together... Legacy Champion. Auto-quicken up to 6th level spells and you've got Quickened Greater Dispel Magic for spam-happy dispels. Alas...

Wait a... HOLD THE PHONES!!!

Let's re-read Swift Abjuration again. Do you know what it doesn't mention? Any reference to arcane spell.

This means you can also auto-quicken Divine Abjuration spells of 3rd level or lower.

Same thing in Extended Abjuration.

This makes AbChamp a whole lot nicer for a gestalt build...

Joshinthemosh
2011-09-15, 11:10 AM
If Legacy Champion is prohibited, this isn't a bad option. Make sure to pick up the Abjuration spell... from BoED was it... that gives armor bonus to AC as well. Unless your GM lets you apply the AbChamp bonus to Mage Armor, even though technically he shouldn't.

Free quicken any abjuration spell of 3rd or lower is a lot of fun. Would've been more fun with... let's all say it together... Legacy Champion. Auto-quicken up to 6th level spells and you've got Quickened Greater Dispel Magic for spam-happy dispels. Alas...

Wait a... HOLD THE PHONES!!!

Let's re-read Swift Abjuration again. Do you know what it doesn't mention? Any reference to arcane spell.

This means you can also auto-quicken Divine Abjuration spells of 3rd level or lower.

Same thing in Extended Abjuration.

This makes AbChamp a whole lot nicer for a gestalt build...

Emphasis mine. Yep. I've been planning a gesalt War Weaver/Abjurant Champion for awhile now. You can see why :smallcool:

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-15, 11:12 AM
Warning though, the exalted abjuration spells can't be cast by a sorcerer, becuse they are not allowed to have nice things. You will have to use the cleric side.