PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder newbie seeking advice

newfrickinshow
2011-09-14, 11:11 PM
Right now I am making up a character for an upcoming Pathfinder game and would like to see if I can get some help from those with some actual experience. Right now the party has a cleric and a fighter so I've called the arcane role and wondered if anybody had any tips for what works and what doesn't in Pathfinder.

I am leaning towards a halfling sorcerer with the fey bloodline. Part of me would rather go Draconic and work towards the Dragon Disciple prestige class, part of me wants to multi-class rogue and work towards the Arcane Trickster PC.

Since I'm not all that familiar with the game system I would appreciate any and all advice you would be willing to give.

Togath
2011-09-14, 11:24 PM
3.5 material can be used with pathfinder,
in fact there is little difference between the two.
So if you have played 3.5 dnd then you know most of the pathfinder rules. I really don't get why so many people think pathfinder is a different game system from dnd. There are a few changes(feats every 2 levels instead of 3, a special ac against things such as trip, but it is still essentially the same game)

On topic; it really hard to make a bad sorcerer, as they're pretty dang powerful, even with the nerfs pathfinder added to them, so it's probably easier to just go with a concept that sounds fun.

edit, from the sounds it sounds like you have played 3.5 before, correct?, if so most tips for 3.5 sorcs work just fine for pathfinder ones as well.

newfrickinshow
2011-09-14, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I have played 3.5. The GM is limiting us to the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and Advanced Players Guide. Part of the problem is despite almost 20 years of D&D, I've never played a wizard or sorcerer (primary arcane spellcaster). Since I've never really played it I've never looked into it and have to decide on my theme and am having trouble coming up with it since my mind has been conditioned to think from a melee perspective. So I thought some with more arcane experience good give me a good build concept ideas or build concepts.

Curious
2011-09-14, 11:41 PM
Sorceror.
Nerfs.

What is this I don't even.

Togath
2011-09-14, 11:46 PM
I meant mainly that they don't have fell drain, fell frighten, fell animate, or metamagic reducers in pf.

edit; for concepts, a witch could be good, they have fewer spells, and relie more on their hex abilties, they are about the same power level as a wizard or sorcerer, but are easier to play.