PDA

View Full Version : Dread Witch

Tvtyrant
2011-09-14, 11:59 PM
One of the abilities of the dread witch puzzles me; Fearful Empowerment states directly that you can empower a summon monster with the fear tag. It then states that people "targeted by a spell modified by Fearful Empowerment must make a will save." When are you targeted by a summoned monster? When it appears, when it attacks, when it dies?

Safety Sword
2011-09-15, 12:39 AM
One of the abilities of the dread witch puzzles me; Fearful Empowerment states directly that you can empower a summon monster with the fear tag. It then states that people "targeted by a spell modified by Fearful Empowerment must make a will save." When are you targeted by a summoned monster? When it appears, when it attacks, when it dies?

It would make more sense if you fearfully empowered a summoned creatures attacks... or a direct spell attack.

Surely it's not both..

Thanks Tvtyrant, now I'm confused too. :smallwink:

Tvtyrant
2011-09-15, 12:44 AM
It would make more sense if you fearfully empowered a summoned creatures attacks... or a direct spell attack.

Surely it's not both..

Thanks Tvtyrant, now I'm confused too. :smallwink:

Welkies ^^

I'm hoping for every attack to deliver a fear effect, since then I can create something with 5 attacks and have it panic someone.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-15, 12:56 AM
Welkies ^^

I'm hoping for every attack to deliver a fear effect, since then I can create something with 5 attacks and have it panic someone.

As a GM, I'd rule that either a) anyone witnessing the conjuration of the monster appearing out of thin air makes the will save at that time, or b) you can do it, but it has no effect, since the spell does not target anyone.

Try doing it with a Fell Frighten Kelgore's Grave Mist...

Tvtyrant
2011-09-15, 01:01 AM
Try doing it with a Fell Frighten Kelgore's Grave Mist...

And truly be Scarecrow :P "My fear gas will turn your life into an endless nightmare, Batman!"

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-15, 01:04 AM
And truly be Scarecrow :P "My fear gas will turn your life into an endless nightmare, Batman!"

There's better ways to apply it, but that seems to be the most logical if you're trying to be an accurate portrayal of that character.

Aura of Terror, for example. Plus Fell Frighten, plus Fearful Empowerment = panic anything nearby without needing any further actions.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-15, 01:09 AM
Is Aura of Terror a spell? Because Dread Witch only blasts through fear immunity on spells.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-15, 08:59 AM
You then need a dread pirate to hit them and make those fear effects last forever!

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-15, 11:08 AM
Is Aura of Terror a spell? Because Dread Witch only blasts through fear immunity on spells.

It's a 6th level Sorc/Wiz spell in SpC. If you don't have an aura, then it gives you one. If you've got one, it makes it scarier. Either way, there's a spell involved, and it makes you scarier.

Safety Sword
2011-09-15, 05:31 PM
It's a 6th level Sorc/Wiz spell in SpC. If you don't have an aura, then it gives you one. If you've got one, it makes it scarier. Either way, there's a spell involved, and it makes you scarier.

To be honest, anyone with 6th Level spells can be pretty damned scary in any case.

Oh, I see...

:smallwink: