PDA

View Full Version : ECL of a Marruspawn Abomination

Silver Night
2011-09-15, 01:17 AM
What do you think the ECL of a Marruspawn Abomination (Sandstorm) would be?

It's got good HP, saves, and BAB and a few decent SLAs (including one that's pretty powerful against anything that doesn't have a good fort save). Also some fairly heavy duty ability mods and some nice (ex) and (Su) abilities.

It's 20 HD, though. I'm not sure that it stacks up so well against many 20th level regular PCs. I'm thinking somewhere in the 22-25 ECL range, but I'm not sure - I don't have a lot of experience rating these kinds of things.

BillyBobJoe
2011-09-15, 02:11 AM
The abomination is pratically a diety, and I'm fairly certain that it is a unique creature, making it unsuitable for players.

Silver Night
2011-09-15, 03:44 AM
If you check it out, it's really neither. It has a touch of divinity, which is mostly just max hp per hd and fast healing. The entry said there is one known but there may be others. It's certainly not a pushover, but if you compare it to an early-20s level PC, I don't think it's really overpowered. It doesn't have spell casting (other than a few SLAs) and it doesn't have a lot of versatility.

Certainly it's powerful, but a lot of its power is in things that are less relevant at that high a level (DR, fast healing, its SLAs) because (as a PC) most things you run into have ways around a lot of that stuff or high resistances to it.

Anyway, whether it is a suitable option for characters wasn't the question. What its ECL would be if it were was the question.

DeAnno
2011-09-15, 04:54 AM
If you got to rearrange its feats and skills as you liked, it has the chops to play at ECL 20 alongside Tier 1&2 characters, but certainly wouldn't outshine them. Basically, its a bulky tank with a nice AoE save or die, some good stats, nice senses with Blindsight/True Seeing, and a grab bag of other junk. Your typical melee support for high OP parties (Frenzied Berzerker Charger Shock Trooper/Chain Tripper 30 foot reach Thicket etc) isn't really much more or less competent, and will benefit similarly from a lot of casters buffing and supporting it.

It has a goofy-weird full attack though, I'll give it that. Iterative attacks with a Claw and a secondary Bite at a relative +2 bonus? I can't understand how that's happening, but Multiattack definitely doesn't even do some of that.

Anyways, fair high OP ECL: 20; WotC ECL: 34.

Silver Night
2011-09-15, 12:25 PM
Yeah, seems like the full attack might be a typo or something.