PDA

View Full Version : BESM 4E Hybrid?

Strormer
2011-09-15, 10:46 AM
So, I'm looking into playing BESM for the first time because my wife is not very interested in DND, but she's ok with BESM as she's played it before. I've never touched BESM so I picked up two books to look over. BESM d20 and BESM 3rd edition. The d20 seems like a poorly done expansion for 3.0/modern games so I tossed that, but as I was looking over BESM3 I couldn't help but think that BESM is the perfect game for a system like 4th edition. The powers and roles and everything simplify gameplay, while fluff is the defining difference between any classes of similar roles.
My question is this, does anyone know if work has already been done on a BESM mod for 4th edition or even just an anime themed 4e? I'm planning on making the game similar to Disgaea, if anyone knows that franchise, and I really feel 4e would fit better, but I'm not prepared to homebrew the entire setting as I still don't know 4e as well as I would like.
Thanks for any help. If I don't catch anyone on this forum then I'll move this to the 4th edition forum. Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2011-09-15, 01:12 PM
Vanilla DND 4e already works very well for Disgaea. It just requires a very liberal approach to race refluffing.

Strormer
2011-09-15, 01:58 PM
Yeah, and that's more or less what I was thinking, but I wanted to allow for other players to branch out into other animes if they wanted. Really, I'm looking to see if something very BESM-ish exists for 4e already or if I'll need to homebrew it.

Prime32
2011-09-15, 02:35 PM
I'd suggest Mutants & Masterminds, a point-based system derived from d20.

It's like BESM but pretty much better all-around. It works very well for "anime" games, even without using the Mecha & Manga supplement.

Mando Knight
2011-09-16, 01:34 PM
My experience with BESM and 4e says that they're two completely different animals. BESM 3rd is a point-buy system where you can purchase essentially any ability you want, while 4e is very much built from the ground up as a class/level system.

J.Gellert
2011-09-16, 01:41 PM
I'd suggest Mutants & Masterminds, a point-based system derived from d20.

It's like BESM but pretty much better all-around. It works very well for "anime" games, even without using the Mecha & Manga supplement.

I second that, we've long played such games in our group.