PDA

View Full Version : Who's the BBEGE (Biggest Baddest Evil Guy Ever)?

Pages : 1 [2]

Wolf53226
2006-05-09, 12:02 PM
A couple more things about the Vader/Emperor debate

1) The Emperor, doesn't tend to go out and kill your family, he orders it done. Then Vader or Grand Inquisitor Tremayne, or the Hand go out and do it. The Emperor doesn't bother to get his hands dirty except in special cases like Luke. But Vader/Anakin went and killed all the trainees, whick included little kids, at the Jedi Temple, then went and systematically hunted down all the Jedi that got away from the original purge, mind you, at the Emperors request.

2) Your wrong about the rebellion attacking the 2nd Death Star to get at the Emperor, they attacked the DS because it is a fricken DS and couldn't be allowed to be complete. The way Mon Mothma says it, it is just a bonus that the Emperor is there, so it is killing two birds with one stone, and they new Vader would be there, because anything that important is overseen by him.

sun_tzu
2006-05-09, 01:30 PM
2) Your wrong about the rebellion attacking the 2nd Death Star to get at the Emperor, they attacked the DS because it is a fricken DS and couldn't be allowed to be complete. The way Mon Mothma says it, it is just a bonus that the Emperor is there, so it is killing two birds with one stone, and they new Vader would be there, because anything that important is overseen by him.

I dunno...The way I see it, the Emperor's death caued the fall from power of the Empire. The DS's destruction was a big bonus.

Wolf53226
2006-05-09, 01:59 PM
You make it sound like the Empire fell overnight because of the Emperor's death, and according to the Fiction, it took Years for the Rebellion to take Couresant (sp?), and even as of the Young Jedi, the remenents of the empire are still around and a very dangerous force, so if your reasoning is the Emperor is a BBEG because without him the empire couldn't stand, your only working with half truths. The empire survived the death of the Emperor, and the warlords that came out of it showed that there were many BBEGs in the empire doing the work of the one calling the shots.

Plus replay Mon Mothma's speech, it is obvious that the plan is they have to destroy the DS in order for the rebellion to survive, but it is most fortunate that the Emperor is also overseeing the final stages of the construction, so they can go after both. So, the target is the DS, but the hope is both.

twerk_face
2006-05-09, 02:32 PM
I don't know if this guy's exactly a BBEG, but one of the most compelling vilians I've ever encountered (read, watched, heard, etc.) is Lord Asriel, from the His Dark Materials series. I've always thought that when an author can create a villian whose motives actually make since, as opposed to someone who is juse "EVIL."

To me, the character has to make since, and actually be like a human. Not just someone who wants to "overwhelm the world in darkness." When it's hard to decide whose side your on, that's when you know the author's done his job.

felblood
2006-05-09, 04:21 PM
I nominate:

*Madness Combat's "Clown"

"You do not kill Clown,
Clown kills YOU!"

*The Mu (Does anyone else remember this overwrought FF fanfiction that managed to be both good and introduce an interesting villian?)

and
*Vecna. The god of secrets and his fallen empire make for an interesting ecuse to populate you world with anchient ruins.

Thrawn was supposed to be a genious but regularly did very stupid things. I chalk this up to an idiot author trying to write a smart character.

For the same effect replace him with River Tam. She's not technically a villian, but she's debatably evil and she knows what you're going to do and has all your skills before you realise she's there. She understands you perfectly, for a reason that's actually believable.

Sephiroth is a classic national hero's dark secret drives him insane story. Compare him to Hercules or Odepus Rex or any tragic hero of the classics. Just add a cape and a flashy hairdo. Impossibly high power levels and distinctive weapons are hallmarks of good BBEGs, but it's the humanising flaws that turn a paragon into a believable villian. Humanity is the source of realistic evil.

*Narrowly dodges long, pointless digression about man's desire to believe evil is something exotic rather than the mundane thing it is.*

Kafka is a good old fashioned madman. He is unique in that he is actually a skilled enough leader and tactician that he makes a good BBEG rather than just a minion. When in doubt, go insane. Just remember to make it a memorable kind of insanity.

Iago and Satan are manipulators modivated by petty jelousy and pride. They are spiteful, sneaky and invincable. They work through proxies and thus can't be harmed directly. In DnD careful warding from divination is a must. The fact that Iago and the Devil can compete shows that power level alone doesn't make a villian memorable. He's got to have personality--a hateable personality.

sun_tzu
2006-05-09, 05:13 PM
Not necessarilly hateable. I didn't hate the final foe of "Tex Murphy: Overseer" (not saying the name, because it's a detective game and I don't want to make it a spoiler), but he was a fantastic villain. Like Ozymondias, it's debateable wether he is evil...But you have to stop him, and you feel sorry for him as you do.

Jarl
2006-05-19, 01:08 AM
Baby turn around,
And let me see that sexy body go
Bump bump bump (yeah)
Emperor Paul Muad'Dib Atreides.
*ahem*
He's a religious fanatic drug dealer who kills 60(?) billion people to prove that he's good, steals the throne of the rightful emperor, kills his intended heir, and marries his daughter. His followers eventually try to kill him. He uses his son as his eyes to kill a man. He names his Daughter "Spoils of War". He has a freaky, semi-incestuous relationship with his mother and sister. He cheats on his wife and is the result of an ancient prophecy gone horribly, horribly, horribly wrong.

-Anything I forgot?

DMgrinder
2006-05-19, 01:34 AM
I think this was mentioned before but this guy is awesome.

Enter Hannibal Lector

I did a book report on this guy and failed, because the teacher thought it was too (and I quote) "Evil" >:(

I did the ftftftftftftftft thing to, oh so well. ;)

Skyserpent
2006-05-19, 02:10 AM
Darth Vader.

End of Story

turkishproverb
2006-05-19, 02:17 AM
You make it sound like the Empire fell overnight because of the Emperor's death, and according to the Fiction, it took Years for the Rebellion to take Couresant (sp?), and even as of the Young Jedi, the remenents of the empire are still around and a very dangerous force, so if your reasoning is the Emperor is a BBEG because without him the empire couldn't stand, your only working with half truths. The empire survived the death of the Emperor, and the warlords that came out of it showed that there were many BBEGs in the empire doing the work of the one calling the shots.

Very accurate. INcidentlally, by the New Jedi Order era, (if you like using it) the New Republic has become so lazy and self indulgent that the good guys are forced to work with the Imperial remnant to stop the threat of the Uzzun Vong.

I don't particularly care how artfully done it was. Even if they afterwards took out his heart and made a mobile out of it with his arteries and lungs and then made origami out of the flesh from his back, even if they then painted him red, tied bells and ribons to his naughty bits, shaved his left eyebrow, framed his body and sold it as post-impresionist invisionist modern art. he still died from a stab wound.

Ah, it's about someone's work being an art. Like how someone can comment on the artfulness of a ballet or play in a basketball game, so was Thrawn commenting on the artfullness of his bodyguards betrayal.

Thrawn was an art collector and appriciated beauty in all its forms. He repeatedly commented about art throughout the Heir to the Empire trilogy of books.

And Dying like he did doesn't neccisarrily remove you from the ranks of greatest BBEG's. Its how you live, not how you die. Thrawn wasn't a warrior. He was a leader.

He took the empire from the brink of total collapse, and nearly succeeded in retaking corescant, and restored the empire to controlling 3/4 of the galaxy.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-19, 02:30 AM
Essentially, Thrawn's how the Rommel fanboys among history and wargame buffs perceive their favorite General. Only with Rommel there's actual history to show that he was semi-competent at best, as opposed to just terminally unlucky: Thrawn actually was that much of a strategic and tactical genius.

And as long as we're discussing Thrawn and the NJO, let's give Gideon Pellaeon some props in the BBELieutenant category. He may not do a whole lot on his own, but when all's said and done, he's the last man standing.

Also, a certain webcomic that updated tonight reminded me of how very much I love nearly every villain from the Metal Gear games, especially Revolver Ocelot.

"I mean, you must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do!"

Shalashaska in a nutshell.

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-05-19, 03:39 AM
Nerd: The last days of foxhound one right? Craptacular art, but the content is a riot. :D

Cybren
2006-05-19, 03:59 AM
Who's the BBEGE?
Clearly the Dungeon Master (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dndc-dungeon_master.jpg)

Splendor
2006-05-19, 06:03 AM
Bad guys....
Empire Palpatine: darth vader was his errand boy.
Thrawn... I was rooting for him to win.
Farscapes Scorpius, hands down a great bad guy.
Elaith Craulnober from forgotten realms books.
The Master from Dr Who.
Magneto.
Agent Smith.
Mayor from Buffy.
Kahn.
Moriarty.
Victor Kruger/The Kurgan.
Kerrigan from Starcraft.
Peter Wiggins.
Joseph Mengele.
Adelai Niska, Jubal Early.

The best bad guys are the ones you kinda like, and can understand why they are doing what they do, even if you don't agree with it.

Magnus_Samma
2006-05-19, 10:33 AM
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHNNNNN!!!!!

*shot*

Telonius
2006-05-19, 10:45 AM
Not particularly a "movie" baddie, but Flagg from various books of Stephen King (The Stand, Dark Tower series, Eyes of the Dragon).

Democratus
2006-05-19, 11:44 AM
Essentially, Thrawn's how the Rommel fanboys among history and wargame buffs perceive their favorite General. Only with Rommel there's actual history to show that he was semi-competent at best, as opposed to just terminally unlucky: Thrawn actually was that much of a strategic and tactical genius.

Thrawn wasn't actually anything. He's fictional.

Rommel was real and quite a bit more than just lucky. His exploits and victories spanned both world wars. His writings on warfare and campaigns are studied to this day at West Point.

Calling Thrawn superior to Rommel is much like calling Superman superior to Ramses the Great. Meaningless.

Vistanibard
2006-05-19, 11:55 AM
I have used some pretty decent villains for WOD things I have done, a lot from the Neil Gaiman Mythos. Sorry none of these are D&D but I havn’t had a chance to run one of those yet.

Thessaly from The Sandman Comics as a Methuselah Tremere Regent is SCARY
Kreia from KOTOR 2 as a Tzimitze Bishop was also quite nice.
Mr World and Mr. Town from American Gods were used as Dauntains/Technocracy in a Changeling game.
Grima Wormtounge was also used during a Vampire game as a Nosferatu Seneschal , he had almost no power himself but managed to turn the court against the PC’s when he began to get scared of them
Grand Admiral Thrawn as a Redcap Changling General. All the smarts plus the ability to eat you.

Speaking of the Bard Aaron the Moor was much more CE then Iago, even if a bit less motivated.

Aaron “ If one good deed in all my life I did, I do repent it from my very soul.”

And Though I think Thrawn is the most efficient…for pure evil? The emperor. Why? Two words.

Bevel Lemelisk

The guy who designed the Death Star. Every time one of his inventions would fail in any way palpitine would find a horrible way to kill him (Immersed in molten metal, eaten alive by insects) have a clone ready, and using advanced dark side mojo would bring him back to life with the memory of his horribly painful death.

Mr Croup
2006-05-19, 12:10 PM
Speaking of the Bard Aaron the Moor was much more CE then Iago, even if a bit less motivated.

Aaron “ If one good deed in all my life I did, I do repent it from my very soul.”

Most definitely. Aaron has always been the most blatant and unabashedly evil character from Shakespeare.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2006-05-19, 12:29 PM

Oh, sure, Aaron's Eeeeeevil, but Iago's evil with style, which is what really counts as far as being a BBEG goes. Aaron may be a badder bad guy, but Iago's got panache.

On a completely different note: I'd like to renominate Jon Irenicus of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn fame. I play the game again every now and again, and he still gives me the shivers.

-Blue

Ing
2006-05-19, 12:35 PM
Baby turn around,
And let me see that sexy body go
Bump bump bump (yeah)
Emperor Paul Muad'Dib Atreides.
*ahem*
He's a religious fanatic drug dealer who kills 60(?) billion people to prove that he's good, steals the throne of the rightful emperor, kills his intended heir, and marries his daughter. His followers eventually try to kill him. He uses his son as his eyes to kill a man. He names his Daughter "Spoils of War". He has a freaky, semi-incestuous relationship with his mother and sister. He cheats on his wife and is the result of an ancient prophecy gone horribly, horribly, horribly wrong.

-Anything I forgot?

well he was intended to be a religious hero image...but out of context i guess u can say that he seems N instead of G.

Palpatine, everything up till the NJO was stated by him he was the first move, the phatom menace. Thawn, New Empirer, etc were just part of his legacy. Where would Thawn had been if he met Palpatine, who knows, but he wouldn't be the BBEG we know, regardless of how much ya love em. up until his final death he was still the cause of it all, acting from the shadows...all the rest were LBEG and false BBEG acting as a cover for the real BBEG

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-19, 02:11 PM
Nerd: The last days of foxhound one right? Craptacular art, but the content is a riot. :D
Yep. If there's one thing I love about that comic, it's that Chris knows his limitations and doesn't even try to draw for crap. Gives time for more hilarious Ocelot/Mantis dialogue.

Democratus: yeah, that wasn't the best thought-out post on my part. It just always irritates me to see all this insane supergeniusness attributed to Rommel by fans (look up the Hearts of Iron II forum on paradoxplaza, for examples among the wargamer community...) and more influential and innovative leaders like Guderian largely ignored. This never really had much to do with Star Wars, except for the parallels between the Third Reich and the Galactic Empire, and what I perceive as Zahn's decision to base his BBEG on the romanticized version of Rommel.

I've rambled again. Just ignore my commentary on the subject; it's basically irrelevant to the topic.

Jarl
2006-05-19, 11:40 PM
Remembered another one: Admired Hitler and... I think it was Napolean... was it Napolean? Yes. Paul admired Hitler and Napolean's abilities to kill so may people with such weak weapons.

-Or was it Stalin? I think it was Stalin.

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-05-19, 11:44 PM
On a completely different note: I'd like to renominate Jon Irenicus of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn fame. I play the game again every now and again, and he still gives me the shivers.

-Blue

"You know what you want. It is you, after all, who has brought us to the dream. Nothing is real--yet."

"You will suffer! You will all suffer!"

"Life... is strength. This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live, you affect your world.
"This woman lives, and has strength of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her children to war, but she has presevered.
"And now, she is dead."

DMgrinder
2006-05-20, 12:45 AM
Adelai Niska, Jubal Early.

Firefly. So good. Ultimatly doomed to cancelation because of said goodness.

SlyJohnny
2006-05-20, 02:21 AM
John Travoltas character, Deacon, in the movie Broken Arrow.

Pritchard: "Where's Deacon? Maybe the son of a bitch is dead."

Deacon: *walks in from the sunrise* "What a terrible thing to say!"

Oh, and the german guy from the first Die Hard.

I second the vote for The Operative, too. And Jubal Early. I just love evil badasses that can quote literary texts and philosophy :)

sun_tzu
2006-05-20, 08:42 AM
I asked my sister for BBEGE suggestions today. She came up with Archie, from the Chocolate War. Small scale, sure...But damn. *shudder*

Telonius
2006-05-20, 08:53 AM
I asked my sister for BBEGE suggestions today. She came up with Archie, from the Chocolate War. Small scale, sure...But damn. *shudder*

Whoah. Hadn't thought of him in years. For manipulative vileness, though... yeah, that's a good one.

McDeath
2006-05-20, 08:58 AM
Niska was ultimately beaten by the crew, as was Early..the Operative has too much of a conscience...Peter Wiggin ultimately saved lives...I really think this is best done by categories of evil.
Chaotic Evil: the Joker. Every time I read about this guy, he scares me.

Neutral Evil: Hans from Die Hard. He doesn't get to do much evilness, but his urbane lack of morality sets the bar for intelligent villains.

Lawful Evil: I'm torn between Palpatine and Magneto, I really am. On the one hand, we have one of the greatest SF villains ever, and on the other, a villain who has remined nteresting as a character for decades with his philosophy, morality and vision.

Honorable Mentions: Apocalypse, Sinister, Galactus, Mr. Tiny, Desann, Darth Maul (on atmosphere, and ignoring the rest of the film), Abaddon, Night Haunter.

Ing
2006-05-20, 11:10 AM
Niska was ultimately beaten by the crew, as was Early..the Operative has too much of a conscience...Peter Wiggin ultimately saved lives...I really think this is best done by categories of evil.
Chaotic Evil: the Joker. Every time I read about this guy, he scares me.

Neutral Evil: Hans from Die Hard. He doesn't get to do much evilness, but his urbane lack of morality sets the bar for intelligent villains.

Lawful Evil: I'm torn between Palpatine and Magneto, I really am. On the one hand, we have one of the greatest SF villains ever, and on the other, a villain who has remined nteresting as a character for decades with his philosophy, morality and vision.

Honorable Mentions: Apocalypse, Sinister, Galactus, Mr. Tiny, Desann, Darth Maul (on atmosphere, and ignoring the rest of the film), Abaddon, Night Haunter.

problem is that Magneto is (modernly) considered Neutral. he does evil things, but he's not irresonable and believes he's doing the necessary evil, (iE destroying the opposition to his people). he's willing to do nicer things with less extream measures if he thinks it'll work after all.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-20, 12:44 PM
Niska was ultimately beaten by the crew, as was Early..the Operative has too much of a conscience...
This is all true. There was never a villain - well, a villain with a face, the Alliance as an entity doesn't count - that the good guys didn't beat on Firefly. Then again, I think that might be a Western thing.

Which reminds me: if we're nominating Hans Gruber, let's put in any villain every played by Alan Rickman, just for being awesomely played.

But back to these guys: Niska was amusing for being a nastily evil, torturing bastard that looks like someboady's sweet old Russian grandpa. Jubal Early is gullible and surprisingly vulnerable to psychological warfare, but still great for intelligent intimidation factor. The Operative...well, I just like to use him as an example in alignment arguments. He's Lawful Evil in D&D terms, but he uses Evil in the service of Law, as opposed to the other way around. But, like most BBELieutenants - and The Operative is a lieutenant - there's some level of vileness that disgusts even him.

Oh, and he monologues too much. Do not monologue in front of a Joss Whedon protagonist unless you want your trachea broken.

Ing
2006-05-20, 01:29 PM
the Hands of Blue were i think the ultimite villian...whether we will actually see any of them.......

evil
emotionless
unstopable (they can melt you)

BBEG (big blue evil guys)

Blackdrop
2006-05-20, 01:44 PM
Video Games: Kefka- Everybody else tries to take over/destroy the world. He did. and Shaped it to his vision.
Literature: Ariakas and Verminaard from Dragonlance. Come on striking people down you magic from a top a dragon qualfies as whicked awesome.
T.V.: Joker- No reason really needed.
Movies: Imotep from the Mummy (1 and 2)

ultimacrom
2006-05-20, 07:30 PM
Having just read about 90% of this thread, I feel the urge to add to it, if for no other reason than I am seeking recognition of having absolutely nothing to do today.
He's been mentioned, but I have to back Flagg for BBBEG if for no other reason than he spanned so much of King's writing. Check out the article on wikipedia if, you're curious. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Flagg
Also, while I suspect this will cause more laughs than anything, I wonder why nobody has mentioned one Lord Voldemort at this point. He's so evil nobody is willing to say his name years after he is supposedly dead. That's gotta count for something.

Edit: Somebody mentioned the idea of a half-fiend terrasque. While the idea has already been shot down, it struck me as Sin from FFX.

sun_tzu
2006-05-21, 03:56 AM
To be honest, the whole "nobody dares utter Voldemort's name" always struck me as proof that wizards, by and large, are wimps. I mean, Godwin's Law aside, we're not afraid to say Hitler's name (and Voldemort seems to pretty much be his more badass equivalent)...

Ing
2006-05-21, 01:05 PM
Remembered another one: Admired Hitler and... I think it was Napolean... was it Napolean? Yes. Paul admired Hitler and Napolean's abilities to kill so may people with such weak weapons.

-Or was it Stalin? I think it was Stalin.

i think that was a commentary on how we villify ruthless murders in our own time period but respect and admire them as tacticians and leaders when they're historical...

examples include: Alexander the great, Napoleon, Ceaser, Atillia, Ghangus, even in many modern day Stalin and Mussalini, Andrew Jackson, people who might be seen as murdering dictators and sociopaths if they were contamporary are admired for their war abilities when historical...

SilveryCord
2006-05-21, 01:15 PM
I like creepy villians who could kill you in a heartbeat, but like to beat around the bush and give you a chance to survive (If you figure out whatever trap they've set for you...)

Namely, Samara/Sadako from The Ring/Ringu. Either one could probably go on a rampage and kill almost everyone on the planet, but they'd rather just make an evil videotape that gives you 7 days to survive.

(Movie/cartoon villians also count for this, specifically the ones that always give the protaganist long speeches about their plan)

Coming soon: SilveryCord's d20 Modern The Ring Campaign :)

Scorpina
2006-05-21, 01:27 PM
Edit: Somebody mentioned the idea of a half-fiend terrasque. While the idea has already been shot down, it struck me as Sin from FFX.

Sin is really more of a giant...construct...type...thing... :-/

Jothki
2006-05-21, 02:53 PM
Sin is really more of a giant...construct...type...thing... :-/

Not really a construct. It's an Aeon, but I don't know what that would translate to in D&D terms. It is artificial, but it springs into existance whole instead of actually being built.

SilveryCord
2006-05-21, 03:20 PM
If you're reading this post, expect tons of Final Fantasy X spoilers. TONS of them.

The Sin you *fight* is some kind of fish-elemental combined with a blitzball player. "Sin" is just any Aeon that Yu Yevon is summoning. Although it seems to be a rather generic definition, it's very true, since Yu-chan is just in a trance, summoning one Aeon.

But yeah, I'd say the Sin you fight is some kind of dinosaur-fish-elemental-fiend-demon-professional blitzball player-thing. You can't really define it by using any monster in the monster manual :/
(Especially since the Tarrasque is a land animal, while it is shown in FF-X that Sin MUCH prefers the water to anything else. Even if he can fly/walk.)

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-21, 04:51 PM
Not really a construct. It's an Aeon, but I don't know what that would translate to in D&D terms. It is artificial, but it springs into existance whole instead of actually being built.
In D&D, it would be the result of a (really big) Conjuration(Creation) effect, or possibly Conjuration(Summoning) or (Calling) if it exists somewhere else before this Yu Yevon bloke calls it.

Note: I have never played FFX past the first dungeon. Even then Tidus got annoying. But as I understand it, Summoner magic in that game works like the summon version of a Planar Ally or Gate spell from D&D, only more limited to specific creatures. So that'd be (Calling).

Hmm...more thoughts on villains...how about Exdeath? There was a man (tree...demon...thing) that didn't mess around with all this angsty "misunderstood" crap. If he'd wanted to do that, he'd have picked a different name. Also, he sucked large chunks of the overworld into a yawning black abyss just 'cause he could. That's a villain.

Gilgamesh from FFV is also a great lieutenant, albeit with a fatal flaw of careless reading. "Wait...isn't this the best sword?" He also endeared himself to me with his cameo in FVIII by kicking the crap out of both Seifer and Ultimecia-Griever.

WhiteKnight777
2006-05-22, 02:41 AM
I must chime in to agree with Jon Irenicus as a definite candidate... A tragic villain, one you can't help but pity even as you strike him down. Basically, he would have been a good person, but for Bodhi. If you like him, I reccomend you download the mod The Longer Road. you can get it at
http://www.spellholdstudios.com/. It allows you to get Irenicus in your party after SOA, and there are multiple endings, depending on how you interact with him. the dialogue is EXTREMELY extensive and (in my opinion) very well written.

As for other villians, I have to renominate Dr. Doom. Amazing powers, a razor sharp intellect, and absolute determination. not to mention time travel

Dervag
2006-05-22, 04:17 AM
Dr. Doom is definitely a contender, against any competition. In the Marvel comics setting, he has actually conquered the world on several occasions; basically no lone force on Earth feels safe taking him on without a fair amount of backup; and Dr. Doom's archenemies, the Fantastic Four, have been forced to rely on his help on numerous occasions.

TimeWizard
2006-05-22, 10:59 AM
*spoiler*
Sin is disqualified as the BBEGE because Jecht-as-Sin isn't concious of what it's doing. I'm not entirely sure if Yu-Yevon is either.

Jothki
2006-05-22, 03:20 PM
Note: I have never played FFX past the first dungeon. Even then Tidus got annoying. But as I understand it, Summoner magic in that game works like the summon version of a Planar Ally or Gate spell from D&D, only more limited to specific creatures. So that'd be (Calling).

Not quite. The summoned Aeon is slightly different for each summoner. I think that an Aeon is actually created by both a Fayth and a Summoner, with the Fayth supplying the basic form and the Summoner filling in some of the details.

Oddly enough, Aeons seem to produce pyreflies when they are defeated, and when they are finally killed, so that means that they have some real basis beyond simply being a temporary creation. I didn't manage to make it to the end of FFX-2, which might have an explanation.

Caelestion
2006-05-22, 05:58 PM
Vader's first appearance in SW4 ranks as one of the better screen entrances for many years :)
I stand in awe of Palpatine's manipulation, particularly in SW3.
Magneto is by far the best villain in comic films (but then that's probably because I really like Sir Ian McKellen). His escape sequence ranks as the most cool escape ever!

sumobrother
2007-02-06, 07:29 PM
Biggest baddest evil guy ever eh? hmm.... is say Shin Akuma just because he's just so damm powerful and evil.

draconic_swine
2007-02-07, 10:11 AM
**WHEEL OF TIME SPOILERS AHEAD**

I'm gonna have to give a shout out to Ishamael/Moridin from The Wheel Of Time. He's one of the most powerful users of the One Power; the only person who can currently use the True Power; is the chief lieutenant and has the backing of the Dark One (who has ressurected him once and likely would do so again); he is a master manipulator of people; has so many plans layered within players within contingencies, with virtually every eventuality planned out; ruthlessly plays both sides against one another; has two (or is it three? I cant't remember) of the other Forsaken's souls, getting total obidience from them; even the other Forsaken are terrified of him; he has manipulated world events in no small way for the past three thousand years; is insane; you never have any idea what he is going to to; has spies everywhere; has the ultimate command of all the Shadowspawn armies; and the whole flaming eyes and mouth when he was still Ishamael was pretty freaky. Have I missed anything? I believe he fulfills just about every requirement to be a BBEG. Just about the only flaw in his resume is that he was killed once.

Saph
2007-02-07, 10:35 AM
Luca Blight from Suikoden II.

Tough, strong, a good strategist, crown prince and effective ruler of the largest nation in the area . . . and a complete psychopath. Perfect example of the Chaotic Evil alignment, revels in killing, especially massacres. You go up against him several times and have to run each time. Finally you manage to ambush him with a small army on your side. You outnumber him about ten to one, so you'd think you'd win . . .

Luca turns out to be damn near impossible to kill. It's like he hates you so much that he just refuses to die as long as you're still standing. Your troops fill him with arrows from a distance, but this doesn't kill him. So you attack him with a party of characters. It's a tough fight, but eventually he goes down - but this doesn't kill him. He gets away and you have to chase him and attack with a second party of characters. You deal out an insane amount of damage to him and he goes down again - and gets up and knocks you out of the way. This time, you lead what's left of your characters into battle yourself, fight an incredibly hard fight against him, and finally hack him down. But this STILL doesn't kill him. He gets away, your troops hunt for him, find him, and fill him with arrows yet again. AND THAT STILL DOESN'T KILL HIM! At last you have to duel him yourself, and he FINALLY goes down.

He wins out as a BBEG for me, just because of the "OMFG why won't you DIE?" feeling.

- Saph

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-07, 01:07 PM
Pre-MMX sequels out the wazoo Vile.
Holy crap.
Dude is directly responsible for the death of your best friend, who dies so you have a chance against him--furthermore, he's a pushover without his Ride Armor. Sort of makes it worse that way.
In MMX3, he's resurrected--still sort of novel at that point in the series--and he goes to positively insane lengths just to kill you, personally. He disobeys orders from the man that rebuilt him. He uses strategically hidden teleporters to force you into a factory he's waiting for you in.
He sets the entire damn place to self-destruct, with him in it or not.

daggaz
2007-02-07, 02:55 PM
Iago, for being cold-blooded, effective, and playing the devils best trick to a T.

But if we are going with scary, monster type bad guys, then definitely:

GED's SHADOW

EvilElitest
2007-02-07, 03:03 PM
Ok i have a whole list here
Western Comics books, i will have to say the Joker. I liked him better without the backstory, but still he was freaking scary. I view him as a metaphor of the worst kind of madness, taking something ment for joy (clowns) and turning it to evil
Manga- Light from DeathNote. The fact that he i also a main character makes him scary. And he belives what he is doing it right.
From Anime i will say zolf Kimblee, from Full Metal Alchemist. Sence he have blow thing up with his hands he does not belive in human souls, inculding his own. Just watch the dam thing. Second place is Barry the Copper, with his line "Because i can." when asked why he kills people.
From Full Metal Alchemist (both novel and Anime) Pride (in the Anime) or Wrath (in hte manga) is a great villian. He seems to be the perfect leader of the nation, but is a ruthless genoside loveing kid ass swordsmen. Can't say more. Greed is just awsome.
From movie series The orginal Darth Vader, from the orginal films. James Earls Jones (who sponsered my school's theator, very nice man) is such a good actor.
Best Book classic, series Sauron, nuff said. And he got being by a dog that could not possible be beaten by Sauron (Prophecy)
Best Fantasy Villian (single book The Demon Dracel From the Demon Awakens. Very scary
Best Real life villlian still alive Charlie Manson. Scary. Or Micheal Jackson. If you are a boy 18 or down, you will know fear from MJ
Best Dead Real life Villian, Stalin, i think he killed 23 million people, i always lose count.
Best Webcomic Villian Kore
Best Order of the Stick villian (it is it own catagory) Nale. Miko is catching up though
Best movie villian, BrickTop from Snatch. Feeds people to pigs, yikes.
Best non fanstasy fiction villian Hannibal Lecter
Best best selling villian, Voldemort
Best Anti Hero Artimis Fowl, in the first book at least
Best Arch Rivil, Artimis Enterai
Best Trator villian, Mentog or what his name from Erogon. Morzan's son
Best Pity villian Gollum.
Best Honor Villian, the slicer from FMA
Most disturbing villian, Envy from FMA
Best Video game villian, Joh Irencus from BGII. I hate him so much
Best sadist Villian, Goblin Slayer
Best literary villain(s) goes to Sang-Drax and his dragonsnake brethren from Death's Gate. Nothing like goading six entire planes and five races apiece into warring with another, just to feed off the hate that it brings.
Most pathetic Villian Jason. he is so lame, I mean he is a man in a ski mask with a machete. O so scary.
Most metoker villian Freddy Kauger
Most over used villan Jack the Ripper
Most nasty Villan Daven from something postive. Does he count as a villian?
Most intriging villian, Mithos from Tales of Sephonia
Most side-switching villian, Kratos
Most come back villian, Ganon
Most Villian who we wished have more backstory, Shadow Link,
Most normal villian, Mr. Scrooge
I need to go to school but i could do more
From,
EE

Tengu
2007-02-07, 03:59 PM
Thread Necromancy!
http://www.storycrafter.com/sgfx/1773/necromancer.jpg