PDA

View Full Version : ki blast

dhusarra
2011-09-15, 04:50 PM
one friend of mine want to take ki blast feat from PHII.the question is that blast don't have saving throw and spell resistance?cause is force damage.

tyckspoon
2011-09-15, 04:54 PM
Feat doesn't say it has those properties, so it doesn't have those properties. The kind of damage it does is irrelevant to determining a saving throw or Spell Resistance, if any.

dhusarra
2011-09-15, 05:10 PM
it says a ki orb of force effect.i think that for force effect don't need to roll saving throws or spell resistance.

Prime32
2011-09-15, 05:27 PM
it says a ki orb of force effect.i think that for force effect don't need to roll saving throws or spell resistance.No, being made of force has nothing to do with it. Magic missile allows Spell Resistance in fact.

You don't have to roll Spell Resistance because it's not a spell. Nothing requires a saving throw unless one is mentioned; it's a ranged touch attack, enemies don't get saving throws against the ranger's arrows.

And if you're worried about the feat being overpowered, don't be - it uses the character's whole turn and the range + damage aren't that great. Scorching ray, for instance, does more damage and requires less actions... five levels earlier.

tyckspoon
2011-09-15, 05:27 PM
Force.. really doesn't have anything to do with it. Force spells are often SR: No, but it's not an inherent part of the [Force] description; it's because whoever wrote those spells thought SR shouldn't apply. Likewise Force spells often don't offer saves, but that's just because Force spells usually aren't effects where a save makes sense; you could write a Force-typed fireball, and it would have Reflex save for half.

Ki Blast has no save and no SR check not because it's a force effect, but because:
It's a feat. Feats are Extraordinary unless marked otherwise. Ki Blast is not marked otherwise, and so it's an Extraordinary ability, which are not subject to Spell Resistance.
It has no save because no save is called for in the ability. Simple enough (as a general rule, a special ability will have one point of failure- either an attack roll or a save from the opponent. Ki Blast requires you to make an attack roll, and so it has no save.)