PDA

View Full Version : Turn/Rebuke attempts?

Icestorm245
2011-09-15, 05:34 PM
So I just made a character, Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Duskblade 5. I really like the flavour of the devotion feats but I'll find myself running out of them too fast. Is there a way for a CN Barbarian/Duskblade to gain turn/rebuke attempts through feats or perhaps a class with full BaB? All paladin variants are out of the question, due to the neutral in the alignment. Perhaps a PrC?

AdalKar
2011-09-15, 06:22 PM
The Death Delver (Heroes of Horror, p.93) comes to mind, but it doesn't give you a BAB at the first level, but the prereqs are easy (you have Concentration and Know(Religion) as a class skill) and it gives you Rebuke Undead (which I think you can use for Devotion Feats) at first level and some Divine Casting on top of it.
The second level gives you Immunity to fear if you like to do a two level dip.

I don't have more ideas right now, sorry. :smallredface:

But some others will help you out more for sure. :smallwink:

dextercorvia
2011-09-15, 10:02 PM
The feat Divine Channeler from Dragon #305 gives you one turn/rebuke undead attempt, but it requires another feat as a prereq, so unless you want to blow 3 feats on it to pick up Extra Turning, too, or can stack nightsticks, you are probably just better off taking the devotion feat a second or third time.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-15, 10:12 PM
Cloistered Cleric dip? Nets you two Devotion bonus feats, a Domain ability of choice, and your full and complete allotment of turn attempts per day!

But wait, there's more! If you order now, you ALSO get free access to any cleric use-activated items. Check out this Wand of Divine Power, for example. One shot, and you've effectively got a full BAB!

Order yours today!

Zaq
2011-09-15, 10:15 PM
Yeah, just sucking it up and taking the Cleric dip is probably the easiest way. Cleric's a damn good dip, too, so really, unless you're trying to qualify for something with your BAB ASAP, it's usually worth it in the long run.

deuxhero
2011-09-15, 10:30 PM
Suddenly! Nightsticks! Hundreds of them!

Yeah, if you don't want to sacrifice levels, magic items seem a good bet.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-15, 10:59 PM
Cloistered Cleric dip? Nets you two Devotion bonus feats, a Domain ability of choice, and your full and complete allotment of turn attempts per day!

But wait, there's more! If you order now, you ALSO get free access to any cleric use-activated items. Check out this Wand of Divine Power, for example. One shot, and you've effectively got a full BAB!

Order yours today!

Wait, since when did Cloistered Cleric get Bonus Devotion feats? :smallconfused: I'm confused. Explain please?

MeeposFire
2011-09-15, 11:01 PM
Wait, since when did Cloistered Cleric get Bonus Devotion feats? :smallconfused: I'm confused. Explain please?

You can trade a domain for its related domain feat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-15, 11:19 PM
You can trade a domain for its related domain feat.

To enlarge:

You get three domains with Cloistered Cleric... but the 1st level spells are rarely worth bothering with. So you chose one domain for the granted domain ability (something like Luck for a free re-roll), then you get Knowledge Devotion for a boost to damage, and another devotion feat depending on what you need. For example, Travel, if you're doing a lot of Skirmish.

Since you already have Pouncebarian, you won't need Travel, but pick a Devotion feat you like, and do the domain swap!

MeeposFire
2011-09-16, 12:43 AM
The problem with taking knowledge devotion is that without the knowledge domain cloistered cleric no longer gives all knowledges as class skills (it specifies in the description that you get all knowledge skills due to the knowledge domain). This won't affect all characters but for many that will hurt their knowledge devotion checks in the future.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-16, 12:56 AM
The problem with taking knowledge devotion is that without the knowledge domain cloistered cleric no longer gives all knowledges as class skills (it specifies in the description that you get all knowledge skills due to the knowledge domain). This won't affect all characters but for many that will hurt their knowledge devotion checks in the future.True, but Knowledge Devotion affecting just one type of critter is still more powerful than having access to things you don't have the skill points to blow on...

MeeposFire
2011-09-16, 12:58 AM
True, but Knowledge Devotion affecting just one type of critter is still more powerful than having access to things you don't have the skill points to blow on...

I just figured it was worth mentioning considering cloistered cleric is a strange bird in that it lists all knowledge skills in the description but it isn't from the class.

tyckspoon
2011-09-16, 01:04 AM
The problem with taking knowledge devotion is that without the knowledge domain cloistered cleric no longer gives all knowledges as class skills (it specifies in the description that you get all knowledge skills due to the knowledge domain). This won't affect all characters but for many that will hurt their knowledge devotion checks in the future.

You do still get the default Cleric knowledges, and Knowledge Devotion itself lets you add another one as a class skill. Arcana/Religion/Planes + whatever you feel like (probably either Nature for coverage of 6 monster Types or Local if your DM really likes class-leveled humanoids instead of monsters) is decent coverage of most of the significant types. Bigger problem with the suggestion here is just that OP's current build doesn't have enough skillpoints to use it well unless he's ok with not having any other skills.

Thespianus
2011-09-16, 02:23 AM

If you're absolutely focused on getting the knowledges, can't you take Knowledge Devotion, Travel Devotion and the Knowledge Domain? ie, you take Knowledge Domain "twice", trading one of them for Knowledge Devotion?

Sure, you "waste" one domain, but you get all Knowledges as class skills. (And, you get to keep Detect Secret Doors as a first level spell. ;) )

Darrin
2011-09-16, 05:45 AM
The feat Divine Channeler from Dragon #305 gives you one turn/rebuke undead attempt, but it requires another feat as a prereq, so unless you want to blow 3 feats on it to pick up Extra Turning, too, or can stack nightsticks, you are probably just better off taking the devotion feat a second or third time.

First, get 8 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes). Use Planar Substitution levels if need be. Find a touchstone item and take the Planar Touchstone feat. Then read up on the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook p. 166).

Second, take a gander at the Sun domain power in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting (the one published by WotC). Now flip to the front of the book and check the publication date... yes, the date after the one in the 3.5 PHB. So the Sun domain in DLCS supercedes the PHB version.

Voila! One feat, turn undead as a cleric. Enjoy.

dextercorvia
2011-09-16, 09:24 AM
First, get 8 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes). Use Planar Substitution levels if need be. Find a touchstone item and take the Planar Touchstone feat. Then read up on the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook p. 166).

Second, take a gander at the Sun domain power in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting (the one published by WotC). Now flip to the front of the book and check the publication date... yes, the date after the one in the 3.5 PHB. So the Sun domain in DLCS supercedes the PHB version.

Voila! One feat, turn undead as a cleric. Enjoy.

I thought that Primary source overrides publication date, unless it was (like RC) stated to be an update.

Darrin
2011-09-16, 09:58 AM
I thought that Primary source overrides publication date, unless it was (like RC) stated to be an update.

*shrug* I should have backed off on the "superceding" argument, which is stretching the rules a bit too far. However, the Catalogues of Enlightenment don't particularly care which domain or cosmology you're referencing... there is no worship/deity requirement, and it's an extraplanar repository of anything that could conceivably be found in any other alternate prime material plane. It all really boils down to "check with the DM".

But if Primary source *always* overrides a sourcebook... why even bother printing a new Sun domain in DLCS? (Perhaps I should look deeper into some primary/sourcebook hiccups, but the only thing I can think of at the moment is retconning featherfall as an immediate action.)

dextercorvia
2011-09-16, 11:09 AM
*shrug* I should have backed off on the "superceding" argument, which is stretching the rules a bit too far. However, the Catalogues of Enlightenment don't particularly care which domain or cosmology you're referencing... there is no worship/deity requirement, and it's an extraplanar repository of anything that could conceivably be found in any other alternate prime material plane. It all really boils down to "check with the DM".

But if Primary source *always* overrides a sourcebook... why even bother printing a new Sun domain in DLCS? (Perhaps I should look deeper into some primary/sourcebook hiccups, but the only thing I can think of at the moment is retconning featherfall as an immediate action.)

It's a neat trick. Another example is the rule for quickened spells. Both state that they are changing the rule in the PHB. If DLCS has a similar line, then you are absolutely correct. Either way, it could work in enough campaigns to make it worth mentioning.

Darth Stabber
2011-09-16, 03:26 PM
Dread Necromancer? It gets rebuke, and you have and an at-will negative energy touch, not powerful, but if you become undead it rocks.

AmberVael
2011-09-16, 04:32 PM
If you dip Cloistered Cleric for turn attempts, I might suggest your one non-feat'd domain be the domain that gives you Extra Turning (can't remember which one, though I think it is either Undeath or Planning). Seems like it'd be handy, after all.

sreservoir
2011-09-16, 04:37 PM
undeath. planning is extend spell, though, which is nice, too.