PDA

View Full Version : Spell-Like Abilities: Which Would You Have?

Getsugaru
2011-09-15, 06:48 PM
So I was randomly flipping through books when I stumbled upon a creature with a 0-level spell as a constant Spell-Like Ability and 3 as at will (think it was either a 0 or a 1st). That got me thinking, if you could have any one 0-level spell as a constant and three 0-1st level as an at will, what would they be?

I'll go first.
Constant=Prestidigitation (Yes, I know it's a cliché, but it's all I could think of...)
At Will#1=Mage Armor
At Will#2=Shield
At Will#3=True Strike

Another I'd love to have if possible would be Summon Instrument (I get up to a high place, possibly through fly, cast the spell. Piano[s] rain from the sky.):smallamused:

Blisstake
2011-09-15, 06:55 PM
Doesn't summon instrument specify that the instrument in question can't be larger than something you'd be able to carry?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-15, 07:06 PM
Doesn't summon instrument specify that the instrument in question can't be larger than something you'd be able to carry?

It has to be a handheld one, specifically.

I'm guessing he got that incorrect ruling from a joke in Murphy's Law.

Drelua
2011-09-15, 07:12 PM
Does the cantrip have to be passive? If not, having mage hand active all the time would be awesome, and being able to create water on someone's head would be a great prank. level 1 spells; feather fal (just for some awesome skydiving), cure light, and...hmm...probably sleep, but maybe an attack spell (probably inflict light or magic missile) or disguise self, hard to say.

Kosjsjach
2011-09-15, 07:21 PM
Constant: Prestidigitation (no reason not to).
1st at-will: Comprehend Languages
2nd at-will: Scholar's Touch (Races of Destiny)
3rd at-will: not sure. Maybe CLW (you didn't specify arcane spells), or Disguise Self... Charm Person would be hella useful if I could reliably pull it off, but I don't have much confidence in my IRL charisma...

Jack_Simth
2011-09-15, 07:33 PM
Some things depend on effective caster level and effective save DC; things measured in rounds/level are pretty useless at caster level 1, for instance, and if the save DC is 11, a success rate under 50% isn't so useful. However, if Sanctuary gets a save DC of 21, a normal 95% success rate is awesome.

Other things, of course, are useful irrespective of caster level (when they're at-will) - Lesser Vigor, Lesser Restoration (Paladin 1 - diseases in D&D work via ability damage; you can avoid all the issues with being sick, and be remarkably effective at treating the symptoms of diseases, even though you can't get rid of them), and some effect for self-defense (Magic Missile, maybe, although Charm Person is a very good self-defense effect as well, if the save DC is non-negligible)

As for a constant effect? Cure minor wounds (fast healing 1; you very quickly recover from anything that doesn't kill you outright).

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-15, 08:59 PM
As for a constant effect? Cure minor wounds (fast healing 1; you very quickly recover from anything that doesn't kill you outright).

Oh....oh the cheapness. The completely legitimate, Dread Necro+Tomb-Tainted Soulesque cheapness...:smallbiggrin:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-15, 09:15 PM
Constant: Mending (for repairing)
At-Will:
Unseen Servant (for helping)
Enlarge Person (for carrying things)
Guidance of the Avatar (for building)

"Aren't you boys a little young to be building a rollercoaster?"
"Why yes, yes we are."

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-15, 09:19 PM
Constant: Mending (for repairing)
At-Will:
Unseen Servant (for helping)
Enlarge Person (for carrying things)
Guidance of the Avatar (for building)

"Aren't you boys a little young to be building a rollercoaster?"
"Why yes, yes we are."

*spits out soda that I was drinking* I'm sorry, what?

...one Google search later...

Okay, as I thought. Guidance of the avatar is not a 1st level spell. The world makes sense again.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-15, 09:30 PM
Constant: Guidance (+1 to every attack roll, saving throw, and skill check forever)
At-Will:
Improvisation
Rhino's Rush
Benign Transposition

Yes, those choices are that good.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-15, 09:36 PM
Constant: Guidance (+1 to every attack roll, saving throw, and skill check forever)
At-Will:
Improvisation
Rhino's Rush
Benign Transposition

Yes, those choices are that good.
Just a note: Improvisation does *nothing* if you have a caster level of 1 (no minimum one clause, and you can only use a number of luck points equal to half your caster level).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-15, 09:36 PM
*spits out soda that I was drinking* I'm sorry, what?

...one Google search later...

Okay, as I thought. Guidance of the avatar is not a 1st level spell. The world makes sense again.

Oh, it's 2nd level? Aw. Alright, just regular Guidance.

Flickerdart
2011-09-15, 09:39 PM
At-will PW:P is probably the most powerful weapon in the world. Just sayin'.

Silva Stormrage
2011-09-15, 09:44 PM
Constant: Cure Minor Wounds

At Will:
1: Scholar's Touch
2: Charm Person
3: Invisibility Swift

Permanent Invisibility (Swift action every round)
Able to read all books forever
Charming people is awesome. (One thing to note though, do people realize that they were charmed? I was never sure on that.)

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-09-15, 09:52 PM
Constant: Cure Minor Wounds

At Will:
1: Scholar's Touch
2: Charm Person
3: Invisibility Swift

Permanent Invisibility (Swift action every round)
Able to read all books forever
Charming people is awesome. (One thing to note though, do people realize that they were charmed? I was never sure on that.)

This is my list except I would switch out charm person for Power Word: Pain.

Also what monster is this? It sounds interesting.

MikolasTheAngry
2011-09-15, 10:05 PM
Constant: Ghost sound. I can have it make NO noise when I don't need to make sound, but otherwise? I sound as loud as me +4 people if I want. Great for making yourself seem larger-than-life when necessary. You can also play your own soundtrack! Pranks, too.

At Will:

1 - Prestidigitation. It's just fun. Also, now every meal is surf 'n' turf!

2 - Dancing Lights. See above two for general reasons.

3 - Obscuring Mist. Or some other similar fog-generating spell if there's one that's bigger. Too lazy to browse books.

Now I'm a one-man horror show!

Silva Stormrage
2011-09-15, 10:25 PM
This is my list except I would switch out charm person for Power Word: Pain.

Also what monster is this? It sounds interesting.

Monster? what are you talking about? :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2011-09-15, 10:26 PM
This monster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxpBcg_iZM).

Winds
2011-09-15, 10:43 PM
Constant effect: Cure Minor
At-will #1: Create Water
At-will #2 Create Food
At-will #3 Endure Elements

So, heal at any time. Create clean food and water. And never feel discomfort in extreme conditions. Not only do you become self-sufficient, you become an incredibly good guy to have near in an emergency.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-09-15, 10:45 PM

So I was randomly flipping through books when I stumbled upon a creature with a 0-level spell as a constant Spell-Like Ability and 3 as at will (think it was either a 0 or a 1st).

That monster.

Larpus
2011-09-15, 11:21 PM
Let's see...

Constant: Prestidigitation
At will #1: Minor Image
At will #2: Disguise Self
At will #3: Either Mending or Charm Person

Silva Stormrage
2011-09-15, 11:34 PM
That monster.

Oh I see, I thought you were referring to my post.