PDA

View Full Version : feat to exempt ally from AoE spells?

Venger
2011-09-15, 08:16 PM
I seem to remember a feat that you could take that would allow you to cast an AoE spell and designate an ally that was within that area as being immune to its effects but I can't find it anywhere and can't remember what it is. does anyone know what this is called?

Safety Sword
2011-09-15, 08:27 PM
Best way to do this is probably the "Mastery of Shaping" High Arcana class ability of Archmage.

You can basically leave "holes" in your spells so allies aren't affected.

Not sure of any other ways to do it. I guess there is also Shape Spell metamagic? Edit: I may have been thinking of Sculpt Spell, which doesn't actually do what you want here... it just allows you to change the type of area (cone, cylinder etc etc) your spell effect takes.

Tar Palantir
2011-09-15, 08:32 PM
There's the Sculpt Spell metamagic feat, and I recall a set of rings that let made the person wearing one immune to spells cast by the other x times a day.

Emmerask
2011-09-15, 08:34 PM
afaik its called Extraordinary spell aim, though you have to make a fairly high spellcraft check (dc 25+ spell level) which at early levels is not really doable and even at mid level will go wrong from time to time, and it takes a full round action to cast the spell if its normally a standard action.

http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1057-extraordinary-spell-aim.html

or CA p. 109

Venger
2011-09-15, 10:14 PM
afaik its called Extraordinary spell aim, though you have to make a fairly high spellcraft check (dc 25+ spell level) which at early levels is not really doable and even at mid level will go wrong from time to time, and it takes a full round action to cast the spell if its normally a standard action.

http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1057-extraordinary-spell-aim.html

or CA p. 109

yes, this is exactly the feat I was thinking of. thanks for all your help, everybody

King Atticus
2011-09-15, 10:30 PM
If you're in a good aligned party you good pick up the Purify Spell Metamagic (BoED) feat. It's a +1 (Just tack on easy metamagic to bring it back to 0) Then your spell won't do anything to good people, half damage to neutral (1/4 on successful save) and it kicks up the die type by one against evil outsiders (D6->D8, etc) not ideal if your not facing mostly evil things but it's pretty cool to throw out a fireball in the middle of a goodly town and only hurt the bad guys.

NNescio
2011-09-15, 10:36 PM
If you're in a good aligned party you good pick up the Purify Spell Metamagic (BoED) feat. It's a +1 (Just tack on easy metamagic to bring it back to 0) Then your spell won't do anything to good people, half damage to neutral (1/4 on successful save) and it kicks up the die type by one against evil outsiders (D6->D8, etc) not ideal if your not facing mostly evil things but it's pretty cool to throw out a fireball in the middle of a goodly town and only hurt the bad guys.

And for (ab)using Explosive Runes.