PDA

View Full Version : Decipher Script

Minwaabi
2011-09-16, 01:02 AM
I don't think I quite understand this skill. What exactly is it used for? For example, how is this skill different than comprehend languages (except you have to make a DC check here where the spell is automatic)? I know the PHB says you can decipher old <stuff>, but how often does that come up? The main reason why I ask is I am wondering if it is an important skill for a wizard to have (or even useful - and if so, useful for what?).

Thanks,
Minwaabi

NNescio
2011-09-16, 01:08 AM
I don't think I quite understand this skill. What exactly is it used for? For example, how is this skill different than comprehend languages (except you have to make a DC check here where the spell is automatic)? I know the PHB says you can decipher old <stuff>, but how often does that come up? The main reason why I ask is I am wondering if it is an important skill for a wizard to have (or even useful - and if so, useful for what?).

Thanks,
Minwaabi

Well, you can also decipher incomplete messages, and possibly code as well. In my experience, it doesn't come up that often to make it worth it.

Decipher Script is a bit nice for skillmonkeys who want the synergy bonus to UMD, but that's a nonissue for Wizards.

It could also be useful for Indiana-Jonesque campaigns if your DM decides to 'soft-nerf' Divination spells like Comprehend Languages (i.e. by using incomplete messages and having it return overtly literal interpretations.) The latter is kinda in bad form though.

Calanon
2011-09-16, 01:29 AM
I usually use Decipher script for "text of arcane origin" which mean things like...

WELL deactivating magically inclined traps, learning spells from a foreign spellbook (I can't speak Infernal, I use decipher script to take the time to see if after time i can decipher it) or something like that

I want to one day use a mini game with that skill as being actually important...
The secret to planning a game like that... Even Vecna doesn't know that secret...

Seharvepernfan
2011-09-16, 04:05 AM
It's basically a skill for finding patterns, meanings, and symbolism. Most DMs don't bother with creating problems that it can solve though.

Complete adventurer adds a good new use for it: making and breaking codes/ciphers. I assume a guy could code his spellbook if he wanted to.

Pigkappa
2011-09-16, 05:26 AM
The original purpose, i.e. "finding patterns, meanings, and symbolism", is awful. When something is required to advance the plot, rolling a d20 to see if your character gets it is really bad.