PDA

View Full Version : Get Down on the Floor and Do the Century Worm: Let's Read the Fiend Folio

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-16, 01:34 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/fieldfolio_med.jpg

The Fiend Folio is an odd book. It was being written right as the transition from 3.0 to 3.5 was underway, and as a result a lot of the material from 3.5 was incorporated into it. Really the only remnants of the 3.0 are DR and the construct rules, but it is still the only D&D book to my knowledge that has both 3.0 and 3.5 rules in it. It is also an odd book, however, because it has some truly weird monsters in it, ranging from the Senmurv (goofy) to the Century Worm (the hell?!).

So, anyway, I'll be reading through this A-Z, every monster individually. I'll run each monster through Vorpal's CR calculator, completely ripping off LOTRfan's Let's Read of the MM2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187046), which is what made me interested in this in the first place. I'll note the small conversions done to bring it fully up to 3.5 when necessary. Also, I'll cover the three PrCs and the grafts in the back of the book at some point. I'm going to update at least every Friday with one monster, starting today, but I might post other updates somewhat more erratically.

The CR Calculator
#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5.
4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if its got a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR

Monsters
Abrian
Abyssal Ghoul
Ahuizotl (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11863262&postcount=8)
Aoa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11900588&postcount=13)

---

Abrian

http://www.wizards.com/leaving.asp?url=/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50155.jpg&origin=dnd_ag_20030409a

The abrian appropriately set the tone for the rest of the book by being sentient, Abyssal, usually evil ostriches. Abrian's also have creepy little withered humanoid arms. They hunt in packs and occasionally trade with travelers who must just be incredibly jaded by that point. What exactly they hunt is never brought up, but given that they live on the Abyss it's probably not a TV dinner.

The abrian also apparently have hooked, razor-sharp beaks, or at least so the description says. The one in the picture looks like he would need to headbutt you to do any damage.

CR

The abrian is listed as CR 1, which I would agree with. They're fast, they have a dazing attack, and they're even one of the very few monsters with sonic resistance, but they can't really do enough damage to do more than harass a party. They get nastier as you put more of them together, but they're still not incredibly dangerous.

Doing the math, it comes out as a solid 2. Huh. The sonic resistance is a bit wonky, given how situationally useful it actually is, especially at the levels you'll be facing these at.

HP: [2 HD] 13/4.5 (+2.9)

AC: 15 (+1)

Special Attacks: Shriek, Augmented Critical (+1.5)

Special Qualities: Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Sonic Resistance 10 (+1)

Bonus Feats: None (+0)

Total: 2.1

LA

Yes, these things have an LA. It's actually relatively reasonable at LA +1 and 2 Magical Beast HD. They get a good move speed, some okay physical ability score bonuses (but a hit to Int), a racial Spot bonus for some bizarre reason, and some other minor stuff. Their arms can only carry half-weight as a normal humanoids, but that's apparently the only restriction.

I have no idea how you would actually play one of these just going on the information given, but it would certainly be entertaining.

---

Abyssal Ghoul

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090818020260/magickverse/images/2/2c/Abyssal_Ghoul.jpg

These guys are literally ghouls, but with a bit of Abyssal magic-power-thing-stuff shoved into them. That's the fluff. I thought you were better than this, Fiend Folio. There is a small side note mentioning that in the Forgotten Realms, they follow the drow goddess Kiaransalee, but I have no idea who that is. Evil, I'm guessing.

CR

Getting past the disappointing fluff, these strike me as nasty. They have good sneaking skills, they have a very good SA, and they can drain Wisdom on a pin (they have Improved Grab). They seem made for sneaky hit-and-run attacks. They're listed as CR 10, but I'm guessing they're going to end up higher than that.

They work out as CR 11, but I'd say they could be moved up another point if used to the full extent of their abilities.

HP: [16 HD] 104/6 (+17.3)

AC: 27 (+3)

Special Attacks: Disease, improved grab, sneak attack +5d6, Wisdom drain 1d6 (+4)

Special Qualities: Acid resistance 20, blindsight 90 ft., cold resistance 20, deathwatch, electricity immunity, fire resistance 20, SR 20, uncanny dodge, undead traits (+10)

Bonus Feat: None (+0)

Total: 11.4

---

And that's it for today.

Allanimal
2011-09-16, 02:02 AM
I loved the MM2 thread, so I look forward to this one as well.

Eldan
2011-09-16, 02:50 AM
Interesting.

Just a few notes:
Abrians were around in Planescape already I think (or at least some very similiar ostrich monster), they probably had a bit more fluff there.

Abyssal ghouls could work very well for Orcus, or Doresain, the King of Ghouls, who was formerly a servant of Orcus. Kiaransalee is the goddess who stole Orcus' layer while he was dead.

Zonugal
2011-09-16, 02:52 AM
Another aspect of Abrians is that they can operate like Raptors from Jurassic Park. Opening doors, planning flanking maneuvers, ect...

A lot of options open up for deadly, vile ostrichs.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-16, 12:05 PM
Interesting.

Just a few notes:
Abrians were around in Planescape already I think (or at least some very similiar ostrich monster), they probably had a bit more fluff there.

Huh. I'll look around and see if I can find anything, although currently I only have the 2E Fiend Folio for older D&D stuff.

Abyssal ghouls could work very well for Orcus, or Doresain, the King of Ghouls, who was formerly a servant of Orcus. Kiaransalee is the goddess who stole Orcus' layer while he was dead.

I knew I was forgetting something. There is a little line in the same sidebar mentioning that if you have the Book of Vile Darkness, Abyssal Ghouls make good minions for the King of Ghouls.

Another aspect of Abrians is that they can operate like Raptors from Jurassic Park. Opening doors, planning flanking maneuvers, ect...

A lot of options open up for deadly, vile ostrichs.

If you can find a door to use out on the Abyssal plains, I salute you. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-09-16, 12:31 PM
Plenty of them, I'd think. The plane of a thousand portals has untold numbers of fortified cities and portals, after all.

Hmm. I'll write that down as an adventure idea. Abrian raid on Broken Reach. They can easily gain a few class levels, after all.

Runestar
2011-09-16, 07:56 PM
Fiend folio is a bit of a conundrum, in that while it does use the new 3.5 monster creation rules, it still relied on 3e's faulty rules for determining cr. This usually results in monsters with a glut of SLAs, and those with tons of HD (and little else) getting inflated crs.

It is worth noting that fiendish codex has revised the crs of some of the fiends in fiend folio. The klurichir for instance, had its cr slashed from 25 to 17! :smalleek:

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-17, 03:39 AM
It is worth noting that fiendish codex has revised the crs of some of the fiends in fiend folio. The klurichir for instance, had its cr slashed from 25 to 17! :smalleek:

Oh, yeah, that's right. Thanks for reminding me. I'll use those when I get to the fiends.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and do the next monster.

---

Ahuizotl

http://www.wizards.com/leaving.asp?url=/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50071.jpg&origin=dnd_ag_20030409a

The ahuizotl is the first monster in the book to be based off of a real one from legend. In Aztec mythology, they were dog/monkey-like creatures with a hand on the end of their tail who lived in the water, and enjoyed eating teeth, nails, and eyes.

This is... almost exactly how they are described in the Fiend Folio. Score one for D&D writers getting their mythology right.

Oh, wait, no, I actually forgot about the fact they can mimic voices in the Fiend Folio and speak Common, and use these abilities to lure their prey to the water. Abilities not ascribed to them in anything I've read. If someone can show me an example of a mythological creature from D&D where they didn't screw up at least one tiny little detail, I will eat a computer.

So, yeah, aberration (in both senses) that lives in the water and snatches people with it's freaky tail-hand to eat. No moral quandaries to see here, just have the party murder it and on move on with their day.

CR

The ahuizotl is listed as CR 6, but I would take it down a peg. It can be threatening, but looking at some of the other CR 6 monsters, it looks a little lackluster. The mimicry ability can, as usual, probably be used for some nastiness. They can also blind people (for whatever reason) on a successful crit, which can be nasty if this thing gets thrown at you before you hit level 6 and get remove blindness/deafness. Drowning is also an option, but not a very good one if there's more than one person around.

Works out to CR 5, which seems appropriate.

HP: [7 HD] 45/5 (+9)

AC: 17 (+1)

Special Attacks: Blinding strike, drowning, improved grab (+3)

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., voice mimicry (+1)

Total: 4.7

The_Snark
2011-09-17, 04:21 AM
This is... almost exactly how they are described in the Fiend Folio. Score one for D&D writers getting their mythology right.

Oh, wait, no, I actually forgot about the fact they can mimic voices in the Fiend Folio and speak Common, and use these abilities to lure their prey to the water. Abilities not ascribed to them in anything I've read. If someone can show me an example of a mythological creature from D&D where they didn't screw up at least one tiny little detail, I will eat a computer.

Actually…

"When it was annoyed - had caught no one, had drowned none of us commoners - then was heard as if a small child wept. And he who heard it thought perhaps a child wept, perhaps a baby, perhaps an abandoned one. Moved by this, he went there to look for it. So there he fell into the hands of the auítzotl, there it drowned him…"

Sounds like mimicry to me (even if it's not quite at the level of human speech). I've no idea how reliable the source is, since it's Wikipedia quoting another webpage which itself quotes a 16th-century Spanish missionary/ethnographer, but at the very least it wasn't invented out of thin air by the D&D writers.

Aharon
2011-09-17, 04:47 AM
Also, the blinding on crit makes sense if you consider that, not unlike a certain hamster, it likes going for the eyes :smallsmile:

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-17, 05:25 AM
Actually…

Sounds like mimicry to me (even if it's not quite at the level of human speech). I've no idea how reliable the source is, since it's Wikipedia quoting another webpage which itself quotes a 16th-century Spanish missionary/ethnographer, but at the very least it wasn't invented out of thin air by the D&D writers.

...too late to edit out that part about eating my computer?

Also, the blinding on crit makes sense if you consider that, not unlike a certain hamster, it likes going for the eyes :smallsmile:

Well, yeah, but it likes eating eyes. It wouldn't scratch them out, because that's less food. And I hope it's not plucking them out, because remove blindness/deafness can't actually fix that.

Aharon
2011-09-17, 05:45 AM
YMMV, but the text seems to imply exactly that to me:

If an ahuizotl scores a critical hit with its tail hand or its bite, the victim becomes blinded permanently. (italics by me.)

I think that's supposed to mean it plucks/bites out the eyes. Of course, one more clarifying sentence ("This completely removes the eyes so they can't be restored by Remove Blindness/Deafness" or "This does damage to the eyes that can't be restored by natural means, only by spells.") would have been helpful.

But I only wanted to get out my lame Boo-joke anyway, so please continue :smalltongue:

Great idea btw, I liked the similar read-throughs for other MMs very much.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-23, 01:48 AM
Aoa

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50114.jpg

The aoa are born from "friction" of the Positive and Negative Energy Planes, which strikes me as kind of odd. I always thought the Great Wheel was more of a metaphor, but they apparently literally touch. Anyway, they're counterparts to the strangely named energons, xag-yas and xeg-yis, which I can't take a more in-depth look at since I don't have the Planar Handbook. They reflect energy where the energons create.

They look like big floating blobs of mercury that constantly have orbs breaking off, floating around, and then reattaching, which is pretty cool. They hang out in the Ethereal and Astral planes, looking for magic to reflect.

Aoa come in two varieties (Droplets and Spheres), apparently just broken up by how big they are. They're apparently pretty harmless usually, but can be incredibly annoying to a spellcaster.

CR

These things were made for when the Wizard's player has just slept with the DM's girlfriend. They can dispel magic and they can reflect every spell that allows SR and can't beat their high resistance. They also have some pretty good resistances.

Or at least, Droplets, the lesser variety can. They're listed as CR 3, and they have a whopping SR of 22, which means that a level-appropriate spellcaster is going to be in serious trouble against them. You can summon them with summon monster IV, which is good if you want to annoy enemy spellcasters.

The Spheres, on the other hand, are listed as CR 15. Their SR is a whole three points above their lesser cousin, at 25. That is considerably less impressive, and a level appropriate caster can probably reliably get around that. They also literally improve on almost nothing but HP, actually losing a bit of AC.

Droplets work out to CR 4, which seems appropriate, at least against spellcasters. A melee character would have a much easier time of it.

Spheres work out to CR 12, but as mentioned, I wouldn't even bother. If you do use them, at the very least add 10 or so to their SR so they can harass casters better.

Droplet

HP: [3 HD] 22/4.5 (+4.9)

AC: 22 (+2)

Special Attacks: Dispelling touch (+1)

Special Qualities: DR 5/magic, outsider traits, reflective spell resistance 22, cold/fire/electricity/sonic resistance 20, spell-like abilities (+5)

Total: 4.3 (4)

Sphere

HP: [13 HD] 149/5.5 (+27.1)

AC: 20 (+2)

Special Attacks: Dispelling touch, reflective pulse (+2)

Special Qualities: DR 10/magic, outsider traits, reflective spell
resistance 25, cold/fire/electricity/sonic resistance 20, spell-like abilities, split (+6)

Total: 12.4 (12)

faceroll
2011-09-23, 02:06 AM
I REALLY like abyssal ghouls. Nasty monsters, creepy, suitably threatening for their CR. But I like ghouls as monsters in general. Fiend Folio is one of my favorite monster books.