PDA

View Full Version : The White Mage (3.5 E6 base class, PEACH)

Gnorman
2011-09-16, 02:22 AM
The White Mage

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3779/cleric.jpg

HD: d6
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Spellcraft
Skill Points: 2 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Spellcasting, Archetype, Turn Undead|5|4|-|-

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Lesser Archetype Power|6|5|-|-

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Sacred Secrets|6|6|3|-

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Moderate Archetype Power|6|6|4|-

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Faithful Strike|6|6|5|3

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Greater Archetype Power, Capstone SLA|6|6|6|4[/table]

Class Abilities

Proficiencies: A White Mage is proficient with light armor and simple weapons. He does not suffer from arcane failure while in light armor, though he suffers normally from all other kinds of armor and shields.

Spellcasting: A White Mage casts arcane spells from a specialized list, which is included below. A White Mage need not prepare spells ahead of time - he may spontaneously cast any spell on his list from the appropriate slot. He still requires eight hours of rest to refresh his spells. His sole casting stat is Wisdom, which dictates both the DC of his spells and his bonus spells. To cast a spell, a White Mage must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the level of spell in question.

Archetype: At 1st level, a White Mage chooses an archetype from the following list, each of which conveys a certain set of advantages and abilities. Once chosen, this cannot be changed or reversed. Each archetype has a Lesser power, a Moderate power, a Greater power, and a Capstone SLA associated with it, which the White Mage receives at the levels noted above. Each archetype also adds bonus spells known to the White Mage's list, which are listed below.

Turn Undead: A White Mage may turn undead as a cleric of his level. He may do so a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.

Lesser Archetype Power: At 2nd level, a White Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Sacred Secrets: At 3rd level, a White Mage gains an untyped +2 bonus to both Heal and Knowledge (religion).

Moderate Archetype Power: At 4th level, a White Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Faithful Strike: At 5th level, a White Mage's attacks are considered to be good-aligned for the purpose of penetrating damage reduction.

Greater Archetype Power: At 6th level, a White Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Capstone SLA: At 6th level, a White Mage gains the ability to cast a particular spell as an SLA 1/day, as appropriate for his archetype. His caster level is equal to his hit dice, and the DC of the spell, if applicable, is equal to 10 + 1/2 his hit dice + his Wisdom modifier.

White Mage Spell List:
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Flare, Guidance, Know Direction, Light, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic, Resistance, Virtue
1: Bless, Blessed Aim (SpC), Conviction (SpC), Cure Light Wounds, Detect Alignment, Divine Favor, Faith Healing (SpC), Impede (CC), Mark of Judgment (PHBII), Light of Lunia (SpC), Protection from Alignment, Ray of Hope (SpC), Remove Fear, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Summon Monster I (non-evil creatures only), Vision of Glory (SpC)
2: Aid, Benediction (CC), Conduit of Life (CC), Consecrate, Cure Moderate Wounds, Deific Vengeance (SpC), Delay Poison, Divine Insight (SpC), Divine Protection (SpC), Execration (CC), Glorious Rainment (BoED), Light of Mercuria (SpC), Lesser Restoration, Make Whole, Mark of Doom (PHBII), Summon Monster II (non-evil creatures only), Zone of Truth
3: Mass Aid, Awaken Sin (SpC), Mass Conviction (SpC), Cure Serious Wounds, Daylight, Dispel Magic, Divine Retaliation (PHBII), Grace (SpC), Holy Storm (SpC), Lesser Visage of the Deity (SpC), Light of Venya (SpC), Magic Circle Against Alignment, Prayer, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Searing Light, Stars of Arvandor (BoED), Summon Monster III (non-evil creatures only), Wall of Light (SpC)

Archetypes

Champion
http://img.booru.org/Grognard//images/3/c90a3b4e70045b45f1e034d46fdf90363a3185b3.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Divine Sacrifice (SpC), Lionheart (SpC)
2: Checkmate's Light (SpC), Zeal (SpC)
3: Knight's Move (SpC), Righteous Fury (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Divine Power or Recitation (SpC)

Lesser Archetype Power: A champion is proficient with medium and heavy armor, and may ignore any arcane spell failure while wearing them.
Moderate Archetype Power: A champion gains a +2 sacred bonus on attack and damage rolls against evil outsiders and undead.
Greater Archetype Power Anytime a champion casts a spell that gives himself or an ally a bonus to attack, increase the amount of that bonus by one.

Exorcist
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/80452.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Handfire (MoF), Vision of Heaven (BoE)
2: Manifestation of the Deity (CS), Light of Faith (CC)
3: Demon Dirge (SpC), Light of Wisdom (CC)
Capstone SLA: Dimensional Anchor or Dismissal

Lesser Archetype Power: An exorcist may turn outsiders when using his turn undead ability.
Moderate Archetype Power: An exorcist becomes immune to charm, compulsion, and possession.
Greater Archetype Power An exorcist may use the Greater Turning power of the Sun domain three times per day - in addition, this ability may be used against evil outsiders, but instead of being destroyed, they are dismissed.

Healer
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cd_gallery/81352.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Healer's Vision (CS), Lesser Vigor (SpC)
2: Close Wounds (SpC), Healing Lorecall (SpC)
3: Mass Lesser Vigor (SpC), Vigor (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Death Ward or Restoration

Lesser Archetype Power: Anytime a healer grants fast healing with a spell, increase the amount granted by one.
Moderate Archetype Power: Dying allies within thirty feet of a healer lose hit points at half the normal rate (one every two rounds), and have twice the normal chance of stabilizing (20%).
Greater Archetype Power: Three times per day, a healer may cast a [healing] spell that is automatically empowered without increasing the casting time or the slot used.

Mystic
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75077.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Divine Inspiration (BoED), Twilight Luck (BoED)
2: Ayailla's Radiant Burst (BoED), Luminous Armor (BoED)
3: Celestial Aspect (BoED), Hammer of Righteousness (BoED)
Capstone SLA: Diamond Spray (BoED) or Summon Hound Archon (SpC)

Lesser Archetype Power: A mystic qualifies for exalted feats even if his alignment is not exalted, or even good, and may use Sanctified spells no matter what his alignment is. In addition, he gains a bonus to overcome spell resistance against evil opponents equal to the number of exalted feats he possesses (to a maximum of +5).
Moderate Archetype Power: A mystic always rolls the lowest possible result when determining the sacrificial component of Sanctified spells, and longer needs to adhere to the abstinence component.
Greater Archetype Power A mystic gains a pair of angelic wings that allow him to fly at his base land speed, with good maneuverability.

Oracle
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cd_gallery/81343.jpg

1: Omen of Peril (CD), Lore of the Gods (CC)
2: Augury, Chain of Eyes (SpC)
3: Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Divination
Capstone SLA: Discern Lies or Scrying

Lesser Archetype Power: An oracle gains Spot and Listen as class skills, and receives a +4 insight bonus to both skills.
Moderate Archetype Power: An oracle always has the maximum chance for a correct answer on spells like Augury or Divination.
Greater Archetype Power: All divination spells cast by an oracle are automatically extended, and the oracle is always considered to have at least firsthand knowledge of whatever target he chooses when using his Scrying SLA.

Morph Bark
2011-09-16, 11:25 AM
It gains quite a lot of Turn Undead uses straight off the bat at level 1... maybe you should make it more scaling, like start with 3 + Cha mod and have it increase by 1 every class level, or simply grant the Extra Turning feat at level 4 as a bonus feat to fill up the dead level.

Gnorman
2011-09-17, 12:26 AM
It gains quite a lot of Turn Undead uses straight off the bat at level 1... maybe you should make it more scaling, like start with 3 + Cha mod and have it increase by 1 every class level, or simply grant the Extra Turning feat at level 4 as a bonus feat to fill up the dead level.

That was a very bad typo! 3 + Cha was what I intended, will fix ASAP!

Gnorman
2011-09-19, 02:00 AM
White Mage is no longer in progress, thank you for your patience. Now ready for review.

nonsi
2011-09-19, 02:52 AM
Fist of all, great work.
With so many years of homebrewing, it's really hard to come up with something that feels really fresh and inspiring.
This is the first time I've seen classes that would make me regard an E6 campaign as something I'd really love taking part of.

Just 2 questions that come to mind now:
1. Are you done with spellcasters (hope not, there's still a lot of ground to cover).
2. What about noncasters ?

Gnorman
2011-09-19, 04:23 AM
Fist of all, great work.
With so many years of homebrewing, it's really hard to come up with something that feels really fresh and inspiring.
This is the first time I've seen classes that would make me regard an E6 campaign as something I'd really love taking part of.

Just 2 questions that come to mind now:
1. Are you done with spellcasters (hope not, there's still a lot of ground to cover).
2. What about noncasters ?

Thanks!

As to your questions:

1. I have almost finished all of the spellcasting classes for my series. We have the Blue Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215876) (still in progress), the Black Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215165), the Green Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215432), the Red Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215306), and the White Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215538).

2. Noncasters will come later - I will begin work next on the five planned combat classes.

Renchard
2011-10-21, 09:49 AM
Re: Exorcist

Dismissal seems an obvious choice for capstone SLA. Did you decide against that due to redundancy with the Greater Archetype power?

Hecore
2011-10-21, 10:57 AM
Re: Exorcist

Dismissal seems an obvious choice for capstone SLA. Did you decide against that due to redundancy with the Greater Archetype power?

This was also kind of my thought -- but both Dimensional Anchor and Dismissal seem limited compared to the other capstones. Have you considered Dispel Evil? It's theme appropriate and is likely to be used on a daily basis.

Gnorman
2011-10-23, 06:07 AM
This was also kind of my thought -- but both Dimensional Anchor and Dismissal seem limited compared to the other capstones. Have you considered Dispel Evil? It's theme appropriate and is likely to be used on a daily basis.

But it's also a level 5 spell, which I'd like to keep out of reach. Dimensional Anchor was a decision made on a "well, what's the most annoying thing about evil outsiders - their ability to teleport away" kind of reasoning.

Ziegander
2011-10-23, 04:55 PM
Alicorn Lance is most certainly not in the Spell Compendium. I'd never heard of it, so I did some searching. It's from a Silver Marches Web Enhancement that has to be downloaded from an obscure wizards.com link. It sounds like a great spell, but I'd remove it from the spell list because it is so very obscure.

Gnorman
2011-10-23, 08:18 PM
Alicorn Lance is most certainly not in the Spell Compendium. I'd never heard of it, so I did some searching. It's from a Silver Marches Web Enhancement that has to be downloaded from an obscure wizards.com link. It sounds like a great spell, but I'd remove it from the spell list because it is so very obscure.

Fair enough.