PDA

View Full Version : Report Inappropriate Ads Here

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Giant
2011-09-16, 07:22 AM
This thread is for the reporting of inappropriate or objectionable ads that have appeared in one of the two forum ad boxes.

Ads served by the Project Wonderful (https://www.projectwonderful.com/?tag=13985) company are not individually approved by us before they appear on the site. Our ad box has been set to reject ads that contain content that is not in line with our regular standards, which means that nothing "NFSW" should appear. It is possible that some ads may be misrepresented by their owners, however, and might slip past the radar and be displayed as a result. If you see an ad that is objectionable in content, please report it on this thread. If we are aware of a bad ad, we can specifically block it from appearing again.

When making a report, please include the following pieces of information:

1.) Date and time ad was visible:
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World):
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box):
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic):

Please note that if you see that there is already a report for a given ad, it is not necessary to make another; we're not able to act faster because more than one person reported. Also, please avoid general discussion of the ad boxes. Any post that is not a report will be deleted so that we can keep it easy for us to see for actual reports.

After an administrator has examined the report and acted to block the ad (or chosen not to block, if the ad was acceptable after all), your post will be edited to reflect the results. Thank you for your help.

Edited in by Roland St. Jude:

Given that people have asked for blocks for things as harmless as depicting two people kissing, I need everyone to explain WHY they think an ad is objectionable, no matter how obvious it may seem to them.

Artemis97
2011-09-21, 08:21 PM
Okay, I'm not certain if this one is strictly against the rules, but it honestly looks fishy to me, and I'm not going to risk clicking to find out if it's a legitimate offer or not.

It's 9:18 PM EST, USA, top ad. And I included a picture for convenience's sake. Worth a thousand words, right?

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9284/badbannerad.png

The Giant
2011-09-21, 11:14 PM
Okay, I'm not certain if this one is strictly against the rules, but it honestly looks fishy to me, and I'm not going to risk clicking to find out if it's a legitimate offer or not.

It's 9:18 PM EST, USA, top ad. And I included a picture for convenience's sake. Worth a thousand words, right?

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9284/badbannerad.png

Ad blocked.

And please, no double reporting or chatter about reported ads. That just makes it harder to find legitimate reports. All other posts will be deleted.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-25, 09:51 PM
The current Ad in (apparently) all the regions seems be against the rule, here is a relevant screenshot

Taken at 9:31 GMT -6
Top Box
The ad is for a webcomic that isn't pg-13

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/Dusk_eclipse/BadAd.png

The Giant
2011-09-26, 04:44 PM
Ad blocked, but the bidder has been contacted and informed that a less objectionable banner would be permitted, as the site itself is far less racy than the name suggests.

flabort
2011-09-28, 11:05 AM
I might be getting uptight over nothing, but

1) 10:00 Sept 28 (GMT-6)
2) Canada
3) Top box
4) people.... kissing. Something called Snow by night. just... kissing. yuck. not something younger (Or just non-matured (mentally)) members would want to see.

It may be within the realms of permissible, in all reality, but I don't think it is.

Edit: wrong date. changed.

The Giant
2011-09-28, 03:58 PM
No action taken. An image of two people kissing is well within bounds, and as pointed out by the creator, it isn't an image of two people kissing anyway.

Surrealistik
2011-10-13, 01:55 PM
1.) October 13th, 3:00 PM EST

2.) Canada

3.) Top.

4.)

A quick google search of Only4Gamers makes the company and its site appear extremely dubious. Potential scam site (or at the very least fringing on illegality):

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=127065&highlight=game+tester

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080110193507AApHmqy

Only4Gamers was around previously as Game Tester Guide, under which name it was likewise regarded suspiciously:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/09/why_game_tester_guide_sucks_in.php

Roland St. Jude
2011-10-13, 02:05 PM

2.) Canada

3.) Top.

4.)

A quick google search of Only4Gamers makes the company and its site appear extremely dubious. Potential scam site (or at the very least fringing on illegality):

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=127065&highlight=game+tester

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080110193507AApHmqy

Only4Gamers was around previously as Game Tester Guide, under which name it was likewise regarded suspiciously:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/09/why_game_tester_guide_sucks_in.php
You probably want to give the information asked for in the first post to make it easier to deal with now and track down later, if need be.

4.) Brief description of objectionable content:

Surrealistik
2011-10-14, 09:43 AM
You probably want to give the information asked for in the first post to make it easier to deal with now and track down later, if need be.

Didn't I provide that information?

Fiery Diamond
2011-10-14, 07:56 PM
Didn't I provide that information?

You didn't provide number 4. You just talked about what it (apparently, I have to assume since you didn't actually say) linked to. Nothing about the actual add.

Surrealistik
2011-10-14, 09:26 PM
You didn't provide number 4. You just talked about what it (apparently, I have to assume since you didn't actually say) linked to. Nothing about the actual add.

The links were there to provide some insight on what is objectionable about the company (and by extension its ads) as implied by the preceding statements.

The Giant
2011-10-25, 06:30 AM

2.) Canada

3.) Top.

4.) (Probable scam site)

Advertiser blocked.

John Cribati
2011-10-25, 07:09 AM
October 25, 2011

8AM EST

New York

Possible scam site.

The Giant
2011-10-25, 07:21 AM
October 25, 2011

8AM EST

New York

Possible scam site.

First, all reports should include enough of a description that I can identify them on a list of 20+ currently active bids in the event that I was not online at that time. There is no way for me to search by exact time to see what ad was displayed.

Second, assuming you are referring to the weight loss ads, advertiser has been blocked. I can't say whether or not the end products are scams (or even if they exist), but investigation reveals that the site actually linked by the ad is nothing but a series of ads for other products disguised as reviews in an attempt to earn clicks. No thanks.

Zherog
2011-10-28, 03:55 PM
I don't see any links in that post having to do with "sun." I suspect you have spyware/malware on your computer. I would very strongly recommend you start a new thread in Random Banter about your issue, because the folks there will be able to help you by pointing out several useful (and free) anti-spyware programs that you can use to clean your PC and get rid of whatever has hijacked your browser.

Also, I believe this thread is intended solely for the Project Wonderful ads.

Elm11
2011-10-29, 04:32 AM
29 October 8:30pm (East Australian time)

Rest of the world (Australia)

Top Box

The first frame in the photo is objectionable, seeming to have no purpose other than to be sexually suggestive.

Whether the site itself is even vaguely related, I'm not sure. I just find it mildly uncomfortable and a little too risque for this forum.

happyturtle
2011-10-29, 07:06 AM
{SCRUBBED}

The Giant: Thanks, but please don't repost the ad images for free. If they want their image to appear on the site, they need to pay for it.

The Giant
2011-10-30, 04:32 AM
No action taken. The characters aren't actually doing anything sexual (they're just standing there) and are wearing clothing that they could wear on the street; only the placement of the camera is even remotely suggestive. So that makes it a textbook example of Male Gaze, but not something inherently objectionable.

Also, please include the NAME of the ad in your reports. As in, the text that appears next to the picture.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-30, 12:13 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Oct 20th, 2011, 1:10 PM EST
2.) Region: USA
3.) Location of ad: Top
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Purported medical product (http://www.visionwithoutglasses.com/?hop=oar76) regarding vision, labeled "Sharpen your Vision" in red that appears rather scammy (http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/bates.html).

Edit: Also of note, the advertised page makes use of tactics such as the "Wait, don't leave yet" style of pop-ups.

The Giant
2011-10-30, 02:04 PM
Advertiser blocked.

Mystic Muse
2011-11-04, 10:26 PM
1. November 4th, 11:20 PM EST

2. USA

3. Top box

4. It's called Twice Blessed. The content that seemed objectionable to me was the first panel saying "Perverted Paladins" with an image of a guy leering at a woman's cleavage.

So far, there doesn't appear to be anything in the comic itself that would be board inappropriate. The worst thing was a euphemism.

happyturtle
2011-11-20, 09:34 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Nov 21, 2011 2.30am GMT
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Europe, USA, RoW
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): bottom
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad text: "Warning! Before you play any game, click here!" Link goes to "Game Copy Wizard", which seems to be a scam site. The page says that its software was ranked #1 by New York Times, CNN etc, but a quick google site search shows that neither NYT nor CNN have ever mentioned it. I didn't bother checking the other claims.

Cealocanth
2011-11-20, 10:08 PM
November 20th, 8:05 PM

USA (Colorado, Mountain Time)

Bottom Box

The add itself gives off all the objectionable warnings that says that clicking the link may result in the downloading of a virus or other harmful software, or possibly leading the clicker to a scam. Signs: "exclamation point symbol" "Click Here" and the lack of any other information besides a reference to the word "games" and the link.

BladeofObliviom
2011-11-20, 10:56 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Sunday, Nov. 20th, 2011; 8:29 PM, GMT -6.
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom Box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The Ad leads to a site that advertises an incredibly suspicious product that claims to circumvent copy protection on both PC and Console games, copying them. In addition to the premise being very probably illegal or at least against the terms of service of most EULAs, the site seems to be a scam according to at least one source. (http://sinfonicapr.com/game-copy-wizard-review-youll-never-ruin-a-disc-again/)

Further, it seems to have several shockingly specific domains (http://game-copy-wizard-review.net/) carrying reviews (http://gamecopywizardexposed.com/) that claim (http://gamecopywizardscam.org/) it works perfectly and usually encourage the reader to buy the product. In any case, it seems absurdly suspicious.

EDIT: Oh, whoops. Didn't see that someone had beaten me to it. Still, I'll leave mine up because it has citations.

Mando Knight
2011-11-20, 10:57 PM
November 20th, 8:05 PM

USA (Colorado, Mountain Time)

Bottom Box

The add itself gives off all the objectionable warnings that says that clicking the link may result in the downloading of a virus or other harmful software, or possibly leading the clicker to a scam. Signs: "exclamation point symbol" "Click Here" and the lack of any other information besides a reference to the word "games" and the link.

The ad in question further links to a product intended to bypass copy protection on digital media...

Snowbody
2011-11-20, 11:20 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The Ad leads to a site that advertises an incredibly suspicious product that claims to circumvent copy protection on both PC and Console games, copying them. In addition to the premise being very probably illegal or at least against the terms of service of most EULAs, the site seems to be a scam according to at least one source. (http://sinfonicapr.com/game-copy-wizard-review-youll-never-ruin-a-disc-again/)

Blade, the "sinfonicapr" link also links to malware now. Hacked?

The Giant
2011-11-21, 12:24 AM
Advertiser blocked.

Temotei
2011-11-21, 02:36 AM
1.) November 21st, 1:28 a.m. Central Standard Time (GMT -6:00)

2.) USA

3.) Bottom Box

4.) Objectionable language was used. It looks like a warning sign with a big "WARNING!" at the beginning. After the offensive language, it references illuminati.

The Giant
2011-11-21, 03:00 AM
Advertiser blocked.

Kuma Da
2011-11-28, 09:35 AM

9:23, November 28, 2011

USA

Bottom box

4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic):

Advertisement banner not objectionable at all. Good production values, clean lines, etc. Site that banner links to is massively skeevy. It's framed like one of those "work-at-home-mom-makes-$40,000-in-a-week" banners, and is at the very least a pyramidal marketing scheme, if not seething with viruses. When you try to leave the page, it does one of those "do you really, really wanna leave" pop-ups. The site claims to be selling a subscription service to a compendium of information on how to instantly get hired to make bajillions of dollars testing video games that you wanted to play anyway, and is so enthusiastic about how easy this is as long as you pay them money for it.

While there may technically be some legitimate advice being offered here, the whole setup reeks of scam.

Douglas
2011-11-28, 11:29 AM

Advertisement banner not objectionable at all. Good production values, clean lines, etc. Site that banner links to is massively skeevy. It's framed like one of those "work-at-home-mom-makes-$40,000-in-a-week" banners, and is at the very least a pyramidal marketing scheme, if not seething with viruses. When you try to leave the page, it does one of those "do you really, really wanna leave" pop-ups. The site claims to be selling a subscription service to a compendium of information on how to instantly get hired to make bajillions of dollars testing video games that you wanted to play anyway, and is so enthusiastic about how easy this is as long as you pay them money for it.

While there may technically be some legitimate advice being offered here, the whole setup reeks of scam.
While you explained very well why the ad is objectionable, this doesn't describe the ad itself to help identify which ad it is.

Assuming it's still showing the same one (it seems to match with the "make bajillions testing video games" but with the rest of the description I don't want to click on it to check), it says "BECOME A GAME TESTER" and has a close-up of a face that would fit right in a Final Fantasy game on the right.

The Giant
2011-11-28, 02:04 PM
Advertiser blocked.

And yes, a physical description of the ad itself (not the site the ad links to) is required. Color, text, description of images. Oftentimes, by the time I see an ad report, the advertiser has been outbid and it is not possible to search the bidders for "what was active at 9:23 AM," though I wish it was. I then need to dig through the list of Outbid Bids to find it, and there are usually 20-30 of those at any one time.

Kuma Da
2011-11-30, 02:27 AM
Thank you, douglas and Giant. That was exactly the ad I meant.

I think the face was actually from a final fantasy game, since the site had a lot of screen-caps from big budget releases to try and shore up its claims. I'm glad it's been blocked.

Zherog
2011-11-30, 12:09 PM

12:10pm EDT

US

Top box

Text of the ad is "Free iPhone 4s." A quick click on the link and the site appears to be one of those scam survey sites that keeps you filling out surveys while dangling the "carrot" just out of your reach.

Snowbody
2011-11-30, 12:14 PM
The "free iphone" ad links to:
http://value.snapdailydeals.net/SplashPage.aspx?g=2daf4f2add2444be89fa1d05969c3176&nm=01ygdrc6urxbax&s=55628&se=52

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-30, 06:00 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 30th November 2011, 23:50 (GMT+1)
2.) Region: Europe
3.) Location of ad: Top box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content: It's an ad for war-gamers.com, subtitled "What Happens When There's Nothing To Do In The Greatest Military In The World...", with two stick-figures talking. The objectionable content is a big nipple (as confirmed by the dialogue between the other characters) walking around the stick-figures. While I'm personally just weirded out and not offended, I am not certain that big nipple is SFW.
Weirdest thing I've written this month, enough Internet for me... until December in 5 minutes.

Jeriah
2011-11-30, 06:22 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 30th November 2011, 18:21 (GMT-5)
2.) Region: US
3.) Location of ad: Top box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content:
It's an ad for war-gamers.com, subtitled "What Happens When There's Nothing To Do In The Greatest Military In The World...", with two stick-figures talking. The objectionable content is a big nipple (as confirmed by the dialogue between the other characters) walking around the stick-figures. While I'm personally just weirded out and not offended, I am not certain that big nipple is SFW.Well, I found it disturbing and rather offensive.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-11-30, 06:34 PM
I'm not entirely sure if the ad is objectionable, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry? The way it seems to attempt to look like some official part of the forum makes me worried.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: November 30th, 6:30 PM Eastern
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad is titled "Our Top Recommended Download" and is made of three boxes of three colors, the scheme matching that used by this very site. It also states "This is the perfect free alternative to microsoft office." Again, it may not actually be objectionable, and isn't NSFW, but the way it attempts to appear official is unsettling.

Siosilvar
2011-11-30, 06:38 PM
I'm not entirely sure if the ad is objectionable, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry? The way it seems to attempt to look like some official part of the forum makes me worried.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: November 30th, 6:30 PM Eastern
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad is titled "Our Top Recommended Download" and is made of three boxes of three colors, the scheme matching that used by this very site. It also states "This is the perfect free alternative to microsoft office." Again, it may not actually be objectionable, and isn't NSFW, but the way it attempts to appear official is unsettling.

The link goes to a site that triggers a warning on my browser and attempts to present itself as the openoffice.org site. This is a scam site, no question about it.

EDIT: It also attempts to install malware on your computer.

The Giant
2011-11-30, 06:54 PM
Text of the ad is "Free iPhone 4s." A quick click on the link and the site appears to be one of those scam survey sites that keeps you filling out surveys while dangling the "carrot" just out of your reach.

Advertiser blocked.

It's an ad for war-gamers.com, subtitled "What Happens When There's Nothing To Do In The Greatest Military In The World...", with two stick-figures talking. The objectionable content is a big nipple (as confirmed by the dialogue between the other characters) walking around the stick-figures. While I'm personally just weirded out and not offended, I am not certain that big nipple is SFW.

Ad rejected, but advertiser has not been blocked. I will send a message permitting them to bid with a less NSFW ad.

Ad is titled "Our Top Recommended Download" and is made of three boxes of three colors, the scheme matching that used by this very site. It also states "This is the perfect free alternative to microsoft office." Again, it may not actually be objectionable, and isn't NSFW, but the way it attempts to appear official is unsettling.

Advertiser blocked (but more for being a scam site than because they tried to match my color scheme).

Loki_42
2011-12-07, 05:24 PM
Date and Time ad was visible: December 7th, 5:19 PM, Eastern
Region: USA and Europe
Location of ad: Bottom Box
Brief description: This ad may not actually be objectionable, but it's giving off scammy signals. The text reads "Like making gifs and watching videos? Get 100 dollars for watching this video" and shows a seemingly unrelated picture of a person standing in a kitchen. Like I said, just getting scammy vibes.

The Giant
2011-12-07, 05:39 PM
I checked it out and it seems legit; the money is not for watching videos, but for doing actual work converting them. It leads to a tumblr account where the guy (pictured in the ad) runs a contest where he asks people to convert his YouTube stuff into animated gifs. He picks the best one and pays them for it. Sort of weird, but I don't get any inherent malware or scam signals.

Unless someone can give me more specific info that leads to this being an outright scam of some kind (or a dangerous site), I'm going to let it slide.

Maxios
2011-12-12, 11:26 AM
Date and Time ad was visible: December 12th, 8:24 AM, Pacific
Region: USA
Location of ad: Bottom Box
Brief description: Shows a drawing of a man chasing three women in bikinis with his tongue out. To the right is a man holding a dog saying "And dogs are the ones who need leashes?"

Edit: I've looked at the site the ad leads to, and it's a relatively SFW webcomic.

The Giant
2011-12-15, 05:10 PM
Sexist (both ways), but no action taken.

Yuki Akuma
2011-12-16, 09:27 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 16th Dexember, 14:26 GMT
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Europe
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): An ad for the webcomic "Greg" which involves a pair of adventurers and a Medusa. In the first panel, the Medusa mentions that she's naked from head to toe, and in the next, the two adventurers are staring at her (as statues).

The Giant
2011-12-17, 01:28 AM
I can't find this bid in my data from PW, so unfortunately no action taken. If it comes back, I reserve the right to block it depending on my own view of the ad.

But I will say that reporting every ad with a potential sexual innuendo or reference is not the intended purpose of this thread. The joke being mentioned doesn't sound like it would be out of place in OOTS itself, depending on the framing of the panels and the artwork. I think a joke that amounts to, "Hey, sometimes men like to look at naked women," is just about as tame a sexual reference as you can manage, as long as the image didn't actually depict any naked women in it.

Porthos
2011-12-17, 01:37 AM
I can't find this bid in my data from PW, so unfortunately no action taken. If it comes back, I reserve the right to block it depending on my own view of the ad.

So you don't have to wait 'till it appears again, the webad is a resized to fit in a banner ad sized window of this comic (http://gregcomic.com/2011/08/25/spoof-the-adventures-of-gregorius/).

(DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated in any way shape or form with Greg)

The Giant
2011-12-17, 02:28 AM
Yeah, OK, then. Having seen it now, I have to reiterate my verdict on the previous ad of, "Sexist, but no action taken."

Eledragon
2011-12-25, 07:48 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 4:46 PM, 12/25
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Banner labeled "Switchblade Goddess by Lucy A. Snyder" and has a review which says "Snyder injects this edgy urban fantasy with an erotic charge"

Zherog
2011-12-25, 07:52 PM
And... what's objectionable about it?

It links to an Amazon page for a novel named, oddly enough, "Switchblade Goddess" by an author named Lucy Snider. The novel is published by a reputable fantasy paperback publisher (Del Rey).

Eledragon
2011-12-25, 07:53 PM
I merely thought mentioning "erotic charge" might be against the forum rules.

Acanous
2011-12-25, 11:32 PM
Methinks maybe there should be some definition in the opening post about what constitutes inappropriate.
Obviously, Malware, Scam sites, offensive language and nudity (Shown, not implied) are appropriate reasons for taking down an ad, but things like the medusa gag shouldn't bear mention.

The Giant
2011-12-26, 04:39 PM
I merely thought mentioning "erotic charge" might be against the forum rules.

It's not. No action taken.

happyturtle
2012-01-02, 03:00 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan 2, 12
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Guilded Age - animated ad

NerfTW
2012-01-02, 06:58 PM
One would think the phrase "Become a huge douche" would also be offensive.

The Giant
2012-01-02, 08:33 PM
I don't care so much about the "huge douche" line, but animation is not allowed. Bid canceled, but the advertiser has not been blocked from bidding again with a non-animated ad.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-01-04, 07:57 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 7:54 PM, January 4, 2012

2:) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA

3:) 3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom

4:) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): See for yourself.

SCRUBBED. Please describe the content, don't give the advertiser a free second view of their ad.

The Giant
2012-01-04, 08:08 PM
Bid canceled, per our "No discussion of religions" rule.

Cristo Meyers
2012-01-05, 03:16 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 01/05/2012 2:13 pm

3:) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top

4:) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Death of the Mobile?" It's an ad for a "Free presentation" about the mobile market/stock market. Most likely a scam site.

Circle of Life
2012-01-05, 03:26 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 01/05/2012 2:13 pm

4:) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Death of the Mobile?" It's an ad for a "Free presentation" about the mobile market/stock market. Most likely a scam site.As an addendum to the above, the site also creates a pop-up prompt when you try to leave in an attempt to redirect you to the site.

The Giant
2012-01-05, 04:45 PM
Advertiser blocked.

Artemis97
2012-01-05, 10:02 PM
1) 10PM EST, 1/5/2012
2) USA
3) Bottom Box
4) "Farmville Champ" offering fast level up, green with orange text. It looks like one of those gold-farming type schemes.

The Giant
2012-01-06, 01:32 AM
After some research, I've determined that it's not a "gold-farming"-type scheme, but rather a strategy guide PDF for FarmVille that is being sold. As far as I can tell, that doesn't violate any of our policies, so no action taken.

Cristo Meyers
2012-01-15, 05:52 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 01/15/2012 4:50 pm

4:) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Thompson Cigar" It's an ad for a cigar shop.

Roland St. Jude
2012-01-16, 10:39 AM
...And please, no double reporting or chatter about reported ads. That just makes it harder to find legitimate reports. All other posts will be deleted.

Sheriff: Double report and chatter posts deleted.

Silverraptor
2012-01-17, 02:28 AM
1) Date and Time ad was visible: 1/16/12; 11:22 pm

2) Region: USA

3) Location: Bottom

4) Description: Starcraft 2 Secrets. Being a starcraft 2 player, I clicked to satisfy my curiosity. My scam radar was going off like crazy when the words "100% legal" and "Won't get banned" was plastered on every wall, floor, ceiling, counter-tops, and toliets of this website.

Ceric
2012-01-17, 01:36 PM
1) Date and Time ad was visible: 10:30 PST (18:30 GMT), Jan 17th 2012
3) Location: Bottom
4) Description: A zombie pulling a woman's string bikini (...or possibly just a string...) with its teeth. Text is "The Zombie Years".

Dimonite
2012-01-17, 06:56 PM
1) Date and time ad was visible: 01/17/2012 5:53 pm

2) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA

3) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): bottom

4) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "The Zombie Years". Depicts a zombie removing, with its teeth, a bikini bottom/panties from a woman who is clearly nude, although the chest and face are not shown. Upon further examination, the comic itself contains a (rather cartoony) depiction of a nude woman a few issues in.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-17, 10:26 PM
1) Date and time ad was visible: 01/17/2012 5:53 pm

2) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA

3) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): bottom

4) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): In addition to above, the comic is riddled with graphic profanity and a fair amount of artistically rendered gore.

The Giant
2012-01-18, 02:28 AM
Tobacco ad: No action taken. Tobacco is legal, and the site doesn't sell to minors. Weird, but not inappropriate.

Starcraft II ad: This seems to be another PDF strategy guide, similar to the Farmville site. No action taken.

Zombie Years ad: The ad was not really SFW anyway, but the site itself features a lot of graphic material. Advertiser blocked.

Aron Times
2012-01-18, 03:55 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: January 18, 2012
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): This is an obvious scam, selling something that is freely available. It claims that Starcraft pros don't like the author sharing his secrets when in reality most pros freely share information with others through legitimate sites like TeamLiquid.net.

Jimorian
2012-01-18, 04:06 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: January 18, 2012
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): This is an obvious scam, selling something that is freely available. It claims that Starcraft pros don't like the author sharing his secrets when in reality most pros freely share information with others through legitimate sites like TeamLiquid.net.

Read the post above yours.

The Giant
2012-01-18, 04:11 PM
Your definition of a "scam" is not the same as mine. There's no evidence that the site is harmful or in any way not delivering what it promises (that is, to sell a specific book with given information in it). If they have a PDF book that they want to sell, that is legal, even if the material is available elsewhere. There are a lot of how-to books on the market despite there being free internet resources that can tell you much the same information.

Bottom line, I'm not going to take the time to review the accuracy of their marketing copy for possible misstatements. I'm not the Better Business Bureau. The site is physically safe to visit, unless someone has information that I don't. Whether people want to buy the product listed is their own business.

And please don't report ads that I made a ruling on in the post before. The only reason to bring up an ad I've already cleared is if you have new information, such as if the site was flagged for malware by your computer.

Koury
2012-01-26, 11:31 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: January 26, 2012
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad for "The Lydian Option." Text bubble in the left hand image includes two curse words.

The Giant
2012-01-26, 11:55 AM
Bid canceled, but the advertiser has been told he can rebid with a different image that doesn't feature swearing.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-27, 03:49 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 1/27/2012, 2:47 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Mild swear, "ass." Not sure if that's worth reporting, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry in that regard. Features a guy literally kicking his own rear end.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-02, 03:30 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 2nd of February 2:28 PM GMT -6
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the World
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top Box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Reads Get paid to click, looks like possibly spamor fishing site.

Image Scrubbed. As mentioned before, please describe the content and don't post the image. We don't want to give the advertiser more views of their ad.

Surrealistik
2012-02-02, 06:12 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Feb 2nd 6:11 PM GMT -5
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Canada
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Link to probable scam site not unlike every other prior ad featured on this site about becoming a game tester:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110222124628AA5qVpb

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/becomeagametester.com

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-02-08, 12:50 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Feb 8th 2:50 PM GMT +9
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the World (South Korea)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Blue ad, Bingo Cabin, No deposit required, Play now. Hover text says "Play Today and Get $20 Free!!!"

Looks like a gambling site. Not sure if this is allowed. If so allowed, never mind.

Hazzardevil
2012-02-22, 01:37 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 22nd of Febuary, 18:10 GMT
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box):Top Box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): It is a website that sells accounts at certain levels or will level up your characters for you in Star Wars; The Old Republic for Real Money.

Serpentine
2012-02-22, 02:59 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 22nd of Febuary, 18:10 GMT
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): It is a website that sells accounts at certain levels or will level up your characters for you in Star Wars; The Old Republic for Real Money.Supplementary: appears to just give you walkthroughs and guides that allow you to level up fast, rather than selling accounts, but also comes up with that "Are you SURE you want to leave this page?" message thing when you try to close the tab.

The Giant
2012-02-22, 03:51 PM
Yeah, like the FarmVille one from a while ago, this seems to just be an overpriced, overhyped digital strategy guide. The window keeping you from clicking off is really annoying, but not actually illegal (it's not like one of those where it tells you that you have a virus or something). So no action taken unless someone has more evidence.

I didn't catch the two reports before that one and I can't find them now, so if they come back, anyone who wants to report them again, can.

Gensh
2012-03-03, 03:50 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 3/3/12, 3:46 EST
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Anime girl in NSFW bikini; links to coolpicsbro.com

Mystic Muse
2012-03-03, 03:50 PM
1.) Date and Time the ad was visible 3:45 PM EST
2.) Region USA
3.) Location of Ad Top box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content An anime girl in a really tight bathing suit. The link leads to a site with a bunch of seemingly random pictures, a few of which seemed to be Not Safe for work.

The Giant
2012-03-03, 03:53 PM
Already seen and banned by me.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-04, 05:20 PM
1.) Date and Time the ad was visible 4:20 PM CST
2.) Region USA
4.) Brief description of objectionable content Webcomic with some objectionable content.

Shades of Gray
2012-03-04, 05:23 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 5:20 EST, March 4th, 2012
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad for the webcomic "Hatefarm" featuring a scantily clad goth chick. Many strips of that comic are NSFW.

The Giant
2012-03-04, 05:58 PM
The very first page that link brings me to featured NSFW material. So, advertiser blocked.

Gryffon
2012-03-06, 09:30 AM
1.) Date and Time the ad was visible 9:28 EST
2.) Region USA
4.) Brief description of objectionable content Banner ad contains images of scantily clad women, not particularly appropriate for work. Directs to lolclicks.net

The Giant
2012-03-08, 11:17 PM
As near as I can tell, the banner is worse than the site itself. Weird.

Anyway, bid canceled. If the advertiser wants to try again with a less NSFW ad, they can. If they return with the same or worse banner, report it again and I'll block them entirely.

Hazzardevil
2012-03-11, 04:08 AM
1.) Date and Time the ad was visible 09:07 GMT
2.) Region Europe
4.) Brief description of objectionable content Banner ad claims to to let you play some sort of Tribal Wars-esque MMO, instead it directs you to a website that claims you have won something. Does this everytime.

happyturtle
2012-03-11, 04:24 AM
2.) Region Europe
4.) Brief description of objectionable content Banner ad claims to to let you play some sort of Tribal Wars-esque MMO, instead it directs you to a website that claims you have won something. Does this everytime.

Ad wording for identification purposes: "You think you can beat me! I doubt it - I'm the best there is"

Boci
2012-03-11, 12:23 PM
2.) Region Europe

The ad also provoked a "Maliscious URL Blocked" from my avast.

The Giant
2012-03-12, 02:37 PM
OK, I apparently missed this one and now I can't find it in PW's system. It's possible that they were booted from PW altogether if they were advertising like that on other sites too. If it shows up again, please report it again and I'll block it then.

Lyndworm
2012-03-16, 06:19 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 16th, 6:19 AM (Central Time/GMT -6).
2.) Region: USA.
3.) Location of ad: Bottom box.
4.) Brief description of objectionable content: The ad itself, though far from offensive to me, personally, references modern religion. It features a flying swaddled baby in red on a pink background, with purple lettering in the foreground indicating SUPER BABY JESUS while the baby himself proclaims "it's a comic with jokes too." The site seems completely legitimate and otherwise SFW.

Snowbody
2012-03-26, 10:30 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 11:00 PM EDT
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "TKT 10 Years" with a Godzilla head. Comic is not PG-13 according to http://belfrycomics.net/ent/1803

The Giant
2012-03-27, 01:36 PM
The line is not PG-13 or not PG-13, it's SFW or NSFW. As in, can it be viewed on a monitor in such a way that someone looking over your shoulder will see something that will get you fired. TKT features a lot of foul language and rubber monster figurines beating each other up. It's not NSFW, as far as I can tell.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 08:11 PM
1) Date and time ad was visible: 6:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -7)
3) Location of Ad: Top Box
4) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad is talking about erotic Harry Potter Fanfiction. I am sitting in my college's library, so I'm not going to visit the actual site.

Lyndworm
2012-03-27, 09:07 PM
For clarity's sake, I'm a reader of the webcomic discussed above. The site itself has little to no NSFW material, either in text or image.

Douglas
2012-03-27, 09:08 PM
1) Date and time ad was visible: 6:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -7)
4) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad is talking about erotic Harry Potter Fanfiction. I am sitting in my college's library, so I'm not going to visit the actual site.
If you are referring to the ad currently up with the "This gets awesome a few pages in, stick around" quote, or one of the few others I've seen for the same site (a webcomic called Wizard School), you're misinterpreting the quote in a way that is not warranted based on the site's actual content. The webcomic is not erotic. One early sequence heads in that direction, but stops far short of getting explicit, and that approach has not yet been repeated.

If you're talking about some other ad, then I don't think I've seen it.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-27, 11:19 PM
If you are referring to the ad currently up with the "This gets awesome a few pages in, stick around" quote, or one of the few others I've seen for the same site (a webcomic called Wizard School)...Hmm, no, I don't think he is. I'm seeing the Harry Potter thing, too.

Lyndworm
2012-03-27, 11:33 PM
I read both comics, and they are two separate entities (though neither site nor either ad gives any cause for alarm, in my opinion).

The Giant
2012-03-27, 11:35 PM
OK, I've found the ad in question (which is no longer displaying but still has an active bid). I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction, just a comic in which someone says they write that, which is far tamer. So, no action taken.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-28, 12:26 AM
I'll admit, I didn't check out the link; I was just saying that he wasn't alone in seeing it.

The Glyphstone
2012-04-06, 09:42 AM
1) Date and time ad was visible: 10:40 AM EST (GMT -5), April 6th 2012.
4) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Large banner with the text "Atheist? You're not alone." Mouseover text ""You're not alone. Atheism is becoming more popular." Clear violation of the board's Inappropriate Topics.

Lycan 01
2012-04-06, 09:44 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 9:42 PM (-5 GMT) on April 6, 2012.
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top box.
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad has words "ATHEIST? You're not alone." This is quite certainly a violation of GitP's rules about religious content.

Ursus the Grim
2012-04-06, 09:52 AM
1) Date and time ad was visible: 10:40 AM EST (GMT -5), April 6th 2012.
4) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Large banner with the text "Atheist? You're not alone." Mouseover text ""You're not alone. Atheism is becoming more popular." Clear violation of the board's Inappropriate Topics.

Supplementary information

The link leads you to an Amazon.com listing for "The God Delusion". While no one should be offended by the presence of Atheists, the mere description of the book is more than offensive to a large number of people.

Saposhiente
2012-04-09, 12:28 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: While I'm posting this (hooray for timestamp conveniently located at the top left)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Says that you can "Become a baby, retain your adult knowledge," presumably to make skeptical viewers go ಠ_ಠ and check out the obvious scam site; is actually selling an unrelated novel.

Jimorian
2012-04-09, 02:21 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: While I'm posting this (hooray for timestamp conveniently located at the top left)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Says that you can "Become a baby, retain your adult knowledge," presumably to make skeptical viewers go ಠ_ಠ and check out the obvious scam site; is actually selling an unrelated novel.

No, the ad simply reflects the sci-fi concept of the novel. Somebody whose life is so miserable that they use the service being "offered" in the ad we see.

The Giant
2012-04-09, 06:16 AM
Baby ad is be fine; selling a novel is not an "obvious scam" no matter how weird the ad campaign for it us.

Atheism ad is canceled; advertiser has not been blocked because it's the same person as the baby ad (which says to me that they are capable of running ads that do not violate our policies). I've contacted them regarding our policies on religion, so if the atheism ad shows up again, please report it and the advertiser will be permanently blocked.

TheCountAlucard
2012-04-27, 08:31 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 8:29 PM.
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Shows a picture of a wizardy-looking fellow, a d20, and "Why Playing D&D is Better Than Being an ***hole."

Also, something from the site linked keeps trying to run some sort of software. :smalleek:

Squark
2012-05-03, 02:53 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 2:52 PM US Central Time
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Advertisement for Sandra and Woo. Comic itself is fine, but the use of the term "Religious Nutjobs" is almost certainly a violation of forum policy.

The Giant
2012-05-04, 01:40 AM
OK, bid canceled. I sent a message to the artist saying that she could re-bid as long as her new ad doesn't feature religion in any way.

Sorry it was displayed for so long; for some reason, my email notification on posts to this thread didn't alert me right away.

Roland St. Jude
2012-05-04, 12:10 PM
Sheriff: Please don't report ads that have already been reported. Also, please don't conduct other chatter in this thread.

happyturtle
2012-05-10, 12:24 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: May 5, 2012, 6:22 AM GMT
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Likely scam. "Complete Newbie makes $161.58 in one hour flat! Watch Now!"

The Giant
2012-05-10, 04:50 AM
Ad blocked, advertiser banned.

Eledragon
2012-05-23, 07:35 PM
1.) Date and Time the ad was visible 5:34 P.M. GMT-8
2.) Region USA
3.) Location of Ad Top bar
4.) Brief description of objectionable content contains explicit content, titled "Banished" on a space-ey background.

Castaras
2012-05-23, 07:44 PM
What questionable content? The only thing is a pissed off woman who's been involved in an explosion of some kind.

The Bushranger
2012-05-23, 07:52 PM
If you consider that "explict", I have some bad news for you...

The Giant
2012-05-23, 08:08 PM
A little cleavage on a character is not "explicit content." No action taken.

Agent 451
2012-05-27, 02:49 PM
1.) Date and Time the ad was visible 1:46 P.M. Mountain Time UTC-7
2.) Region Canada
4.) Brief description of objectionable content: Mousing over add creates a small text block saying "Click to get stoned."

NerfTW
2012-05-27, 03:36 PM
1.) Date and Time the ad was visible 1:46 P.M. Mountain Time UTC-7
2.) Region Canada
4.) Brief description of objectionable content: Mousing over add creates a small text block saying "Click to get stoned."

It's referring to the Medusa in the ad changing the adventurers to stone. Not drug use.

Agent 451
2012-05-27, 04:00 PM
Yeah I get that. The comic it links to is pretty suggestive on it's own though.

The Giant
2012-05-27, 04:27 PM
This ad has already been reviewed and found acceptable. No action taken.

ThirdEmperor
2012-05-31, 05:34 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: GMT-5 5:31 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad for a comic called Character Development, included a rather crude and immature punch-line that might be considered against forum rules.

Shades of Gray
2012-06-03, 11:42 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: EST (GMT-4)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad for a comic called Character Development, mentioning the torture of a man's genitals. Other ads I've seen for that comic seem fine.

Boci
2012-06-12, 11:40 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: EST (GMT+0) 17:30
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The web comic "misfile". Whilst the picture itself should be okay, the plot involves a pot smoking angel and references several known figures from the Bible such as Gabriel. However since this is not apparent from the ad itself I am unsure whether or not this is a problem. Figured I'd report it and find out.

TheLaughingMan
2012-06-12, 12:05 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The web comic "misfile". Whilst the picture itself should be okay, the plot involves a pot smoking angel and references several known figures from the Bible such as Gabriel. However since this is not apparent from the ad itself I am unsure whether or not this is a problem. Figured I'd report it and find out.

Seems fine to me. (If memory serves), the actual content uses angels without making much of any comment on religious stuffs.

jojolagger
2012-06-12, 12:06 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: EST (GMT+0) 17:30
I've actually read that webcomic. It doesn't really focus on either the religious figures or pot smoking. (In fact, it completely glosses over most religious implications of angels.)
As a quick note, Also seeing the add here in canada.

NineThePuma
2012-06-12, 12:12 PM
/me pops up to report the Misfile ad for completely different reasons.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: EST (GMT-7) 09:58
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USE
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Involves two scantily clad teens laying on one another. As a frequent reader I know the comic isn't pornographic, but I'm not sure that Missi's outfit is quite appropriate for the board.

For the religious angle, while there ARE mentions of figures from the bible, the comic has almost nothing to do with religion, and a number of the names just happen to be used. The pot smoking angel is a major character, but he gets lot of flack for said pot smoking.

Elder Tsofu
2012-06-12, 12:18 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Involves two scantily clad teens laying on one another.

Wanted to add that they're wearing swimsuits.

Roland St. Jude
2012-06-12, 05:12 PM
Sheriff: Please stop reporting the same ad. Once it's been brought to The Giant's attention, he can look at it and decide. The re-reporting and commentary is not necessary.

The Giant
2012-06-22, 11:04 AM
I can't bar an advertiser who is not currently advertising, and I'm not going to spend the time to maintain a list of people who I may bar if they ever advertise again. If they do advertise again, though, feel free to raise your objection at that time and I'll make a decision then.

Boci
2012-06-23, 04:36 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: EST (GMT+0) 23:37
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The web comic "misfile" is being advertised with the same banner it was using when I initially reported it.

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-23, 04:40 PM
Sheriff: Please stop reporting the same ad. Once it's been brought to The Giant's attention, he can look at it and decide. The re-reporting and commentary is not necessary.

Is this really such a hard concept?

Worira
2012-06-23, 04:43 PM
Is this really such a hard concept?

Well you see:

If they do advertise again, though, feel free to raise your objection at that time and I'll make a decision then.

Douglas
2012-06-23, 07:08 PM
Well you see:
Yes, but that was in reply to a different report (about Wizard School, complaining about it going too far towards rape for a joke) which apparently has been deleted since then.

The Giant
2012-06-24, 02:16 PM
Yes, the comment to re-report was in response to a now-deleted report (which I wish hadn't been deleted, for precisely this reason).

As for Misfile, I will send them a note asking them to use a less risque banner.

Douglas
2012-06-25, 08:47 AM
Speaking of that deleted report, the advertiser in question is up again.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: June 25, 9:32 am Eastern time
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The web comic Wizard School includes one page that the previous reporter feels treats rape in an inappropriate manner. The page in question is here (http://www.meetmyminion.com/?p=1704). The comic in general also features a lot of foul language. I don't know if these issues really merit blocking the ad, but now you can make the decision.

Snowbody
2012-07-03, 08:53 PM
2012-07-03, 9:48 PM EDT
USA
Bottom
"Gesshoku". Translating the Japanese, "your source for dom/sub, gay, and lesbian goods" -- which is somewhat misleading, the site actually just sells Japanese-inspired clothing, only some of which has vulgar Japanese words.

Mr. Moon
2012-07-04, 09:00 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:55 AM GMT-8, 4/7/'12
2.) Region: Canada
3.) Location of ad: Bottom
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad itself is a sloppy MSPaint collage of pictures of TOTES RIPPED male and female midsections that uses the same thumbnail three times because apparently the guy who made it was too lazy to spend more than three seconds on Google Images. It features centrally a mouse hovering over the word "here" and is declares to have the truth about "SIX PACK ABS." While circumspect in itself, actually clicking the link takes you to some Amazon store for 3D glasses (which was quite disappointing.)

The Underlord
2012-07-04, 03:51 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:55 AM GMT-8, 4/7/'12
2.) Region: Canada
3.) Location of ad: Bottom
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad itself is a sloppy MSPaint collage of pictures of TOTES RIPPED male and female midsections that uses the same thumbnail three times because apparently the guy who made it was too lazy to spend more than three seconds on Google Images. It features centrally a mouse hovering over the word "here" and is declares to have the truth about "SIX PACK ABS." While circumspect in itself, actually clicking the link takes you to some Amazon store for 3D glasses (which was quite disappointing.)
Note I am also seeing this ad in the US at 3:51 PM GMT -5.

MCerberus
2012-07-05, 09:54 AM
1) July 5 9:49 central
2) US
3) Bottom box
4) Ad contains the usual 'WARNING ACT NOW' hyperbole, and links to a site whose domain speaks for itself as a scam. Additionally, the text on the page linked in the ad has text that fits into 'what the professionals don't want you to know! "Free"!' archetype.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-07-05, 07:37 PM
Odd looking ad, looks "scamish."

1. July 6, 9:30+9 GMT (Seoul, ROK)
2. Rest of the World
3. Bottom Box
4. Ad description: WARNING!!! Backlinks are the Currency of SEO! With a Red Button stating "Act Now!"

The ad itself goes on how to get their "Blog Post Cheat Sheet," apparantly techniques to get more people to read your blog posts?

Not sure if this is not allowed, as there is no nudity, over-the-top violence or the usual no-nos, but it reads like a "Buy our Mailing Lists" how-to spam and scam. :smallannoyed:

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-07-05, 07:41 PM
Wow! Never had to post a double before!

1. July 6, 2012, 9:40a.m. +9GMT (Seoul ROK)
2. Rest of the World
3. Top Box
4. Buy Game CD Keys. Forget the Price, Enjoy the Game.

Yeah, I don't think that's legal. Oh, the Backlinks ad disappeared a moment after I posted, and this one went up, so...

The Underlord
2012-07-06, 02:32 PM
Wow! Never had to post a double before!

1. July 6, 2012, 9:40a.m. +9GMT (Seoul ROK)
2. Rest of the World
3. Top Box
4. Buy Game CD Keys. Forget the Price, Enjoy the Game.

Yeah, I don't think that's legal. Oh, the Backlinks ad disappeared a moment after I posted, and this one went up, so...

I am seeing this one in the U.S too at 2:32 GMT -5

The Giant
2012-07-06, 06:28 PM
OK, Game CD keys is just flat-out banned for probably-illegal content.

The "Backlinks" ad is also banned. Shady, at best.

The other ads that have been reported have withdrawn their bids, so I can't take action against them. If they reappear, please report them again.

Also, please do not delete your reports on this thread for any reason--even if I decide not to take action. It makes it very difficult to figure out the chain of events and leads to duplicate reports.

ThirdEmperor
2012-07-16, 10:04 PM
1. July 16th, GMT-5 9:59
2. U.S.
3. Top box.
4. It's an ad for an pornographic e-book. Fairly self-explanatory.

Othesemo
2012-07-16, 10:17 PM
1. July 16th, GMT-5 9:59
2. U.S.
3. Top box.
4. It's an ad for an pornographic e-book. Fairly self-explanatory.

Title is 'Casual (Sex) Friday.'

The Giant
2012-07-17, 01:04 AM
Advertiser blocked.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-07-24, 03:40 AM
1. July 23, 10:30p.m.
2. U.S. (Hawaii)
3. Top box.
4. LootCrate: Epic Geek and Gamer Swag

Kind of odd ad. Looking at the site, it is a subscription service to buy $40 worth of "geek snd gamer" stuff for $13+ $6 shipping and handing. Kind of like Woot.com? Not sure, seems kind of scammish to me.

Not my decision to make, I'll leave it up to the Giant and his capable staff to make the call.

Snowbody
2012-07-25, 07:07 PM
1. July 25, 8:06p.m. edt
2. U.S.
3. Top box.
4. Wizard School -- hasn't this been previously banned for trivializing rape?

The Giant
2012-07-26, 10:06 AM
4. Wizard School -- hasn't this been previously banned for trivializing rape?

No, it wasn't. While that strip was in terrible taste and certainly reduces my personal opinion of the comic as a whole, I'm not going to police the entire internet. It's not porn, or a scam; the ads themselves are completely tame. I'm not going to block them permanently for one mistake, anymore than we ban users for one bad post.

If that sort of content becomes the norm, or the comic slips into NSFW territory, I will likely change my mind.

pendell
2012-08-26, 02:29 PM
Time: 26 AUG 2012 15:20 Eastern Time.

What: Arrive at Giant in the Playground. Before I can log in, screen blanks up and fills with a popup. "Congratulations, giantitp visitor! You have been selected to take a survey!" A wav file with a female announcer announces this in the background.

I close the URL without touching it. I feared malware. I suppose it's technically possible this popup is malware on my own machine, but more likely it's an ad from Projectwonderful. I'm not sure if there's a policy about full-screen popup ads with audio, but I find it irritating. I would prefer a simply banner ad.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Giant
2012-08-26, 03:26 PM
This is definitely not something from Project Wonderful. They don't serve popups at all, and they don't serve ads with audio at all. It's one of the primary reasons I chose them as an ad service in the first place.

This is probably going to be something on your own computer, or possibly something from another website you visited that hijacked the name of the next site you typed in, or something. It's not from us.

Is anyone else having this problem? If they have had it—ever—please report it now.

pendell
2012-08-26, 04:33 PM
I just finished an Malwarebytes scan with a freshly updated database; no anomalies were detected. So it's probably not malware on my computer.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Douglas
2012-08-26, 04:51 PM
Check your browser extensions, plugins, etc. A recent thread in Friendly Banter discovered that as a potential avenue for adware that the usual scanners apparently don't check, though the adware extension in that case was turning text into ad links instead of producing popups.

Edit: This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251412) is the thread I'm referring to.

The Giant
2012-08-26, 05:01 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of possible avenues for something like this. Unless this is something that becomes widely reported, it's not coming from our server. If it was a PW ad, it would affect every single person who came to the site from a given region of the world while it was active.

Rawhide
2012-08-26, 06:28 PM
Yeah, no, that's not how Project Wonderful works. All Project Wonderful does, is to serve an image and a URL.

Most likely, there is something on your PC that is hijacking the page and inserting the popup, but it is also possible it is happening between the server and your computer.

This isn't related to Project Wonderful. If you want help tracking it down, start a new thread in Friendly Banter.

pendell
2012-08-27, 07:58 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'll see what I can do.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 12:42 PM
2012-08-29 1:40 PM EDT
USA
Bottom
These "discount magazine subscription" sites have a horrible reputation for taking people's money and not actually buying the subscription. People have to fight with customer service for months to get them to actually start the subscription, and in many cases, the money just disappears. The website looks clunky and amateurish and has no history. I think it has a high probability of being a scam.

The Giant
2012-08-29, 06:55 PM
There's no malware or pop-ups on the website, and no one has reported specific instances of being scammed in any way. I'm not going to start blocking advertisers because they have "clunky and amateurish" website design, or because some other people in the same category may have terrible customer service. I'm not the Internet Police.

If someone has a specific claim against THIS website, I'll reconsider.

gooddragon1
2012-09-04, 04:57 PM
2012-08-29 09:55 PM GMT
USA
"I can't explain why it feels so good to be a gangster."

Gangs generally conjure images of criminal activity. The site itself looks okay but I think it would be better if they picked a different slogan.

horngeek
2012-09-30, 03:14 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:11 (GMT+10)
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the World
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Inappropriate joke made, ad is for a webcomic called Character Development.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-01, 09:54 AM
To clarify, the joke was about "stretched and distorted" genitals, after the character was sent to a torture dimension. Reported before, but we were told to let you know if it came up again.

Eldan
2012-10-06, 08:25 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6.10.2012, 15:24, GMT +1 (or time of post)
2.) Region: Europe
3.) Location of ad: Top
4.) Brief description of objectionable content: Banner has the slogan "Stronger! Taller! Bustier!" and links to a site called ZZZ comics, which seems to be pornographic from a quick look.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-06, 08:52 AM
t is pornographic in nature, as it sells adult graphic novels.

Rawhide
2012-10-06, 11:30 AM
This has been dealt with by Mr & Mrs Giant and hopefully should not return.

Janus
2012-10-12, 05:55 PM
October 12, 2012- 5:54 PM CST
USA
Top box
Uses the site's :smallamused: smiley, which I'm assuming is illegal. On a lesser note, it looks like it was slapped together in MSPaint in about 5 minutes.

TuggyNE
2012-10-12, 06:09 PM
USA
Top box
Uses the site's :smallamused: smiley, which I'm assuming is illegal. On a lesser note, it looks like it was slapped together in MSPaint in about 5 minutes.

Oddly, it links back to the site. Not sure what's up with that. :smallconfused:

Triscuitable
2012-10-12, 06:11 PM
USA
Top box

It's a joke made by one of our fellow playgrounders. It's doing no harm, and it's something of a loop-vertisement, seeing as it links back to the forums anyways. Nice going, Archonic_Energy. :smallwink:

TechnoScrabble
2012-10-12, 06:28 PM
It's a joke made by one of our fellow playgrounders. It's doing no harm, and it's something of a loop-vertisement, seeing as it links back to the forums anyways. Nice going, Archonic_Energy. :smallwink:

I have one thing to say about it, though:

CCCOOOOOOMMMIIIICCCC SAAAAAAAAAANNNSSSSS!!!

Other than that, it doesn't appear harmful.

Janus
2012-10-12, 06:34 PM
Ah, gotcha. I didn't bother clicking the link.
Didn't know about the joke, either. Just doing my part, yo. :smallsmile:

Lawful Gooooooooooooood!!! *flies away*

Mutant Sheep
2012-10-12, 07:39 PM
Even more needless clarification, its about the Meetup. And it has alt text. And a thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258248) IBF *stab*

Justyn
2012-10-14, 03:43 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 1:34am, Pacific Standard time (-8GMT)
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): United States
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Advertisement to quote: "Tweet & Enter to Win a FREE 55'' TV & MHL Kit!"
Screencapture:
http://i46.tinypic.com/11ae73n.jpg

Rawhide
2012-10-14, 04:00 AM
And what exactly is supposed to be the problem with it?

Justyn
2012-10-14, 04:18 AM
And what exactly is supposed to be the problem with it?

I was under the impression that advertisements like this were against against the rules, partly because Rich blocked a similar ad at the start of the thread. Also, ads like this tend to be either phishing scams or attempts to secure lists of email addresses to sell rather than real contests as far as I'm able to tell.

Rawhide
2012-10-14, 09:03 AM
I was under the impression that advertisements like this were against against the rules, partly because Rich blocked a similar ad at the start of the thread. Also, ads like this tend to be either phishing scams or attempts to secure lists of email addresses to sell rather than real contests as far as I'm able to tell.

Only if it actually is a phishing attempt. If that's what you think an advertisment is, please include the reason in the report. I've looked at it and can't find any evidence that it's not legitimate, if anyone else has some further info, feel free to report it again.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-18, 02:17 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 20:13, 18/10/12
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): It's a website about making stitched mug, things. One of the examples contains the word "Bollocks", which is a swear word in Britain, not certain about America. It's about as bad as "piss". I don't personally have an issue with it, just thought I should bring it up.

ericgrau
2012-10-18, 09:45 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 10/18/2012 9:36 GMT-5
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): bottom box
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Test & Keep a Free iPad 3". An attempt to grab your e-mail, phone number and address for spamming purposes, plus completing 11 offers in exchange for a chance to win various prizes. On page 2 (I put in a bogus e-mail to see) they're even open about that goal. They ask for the spam info first of course since often these offers fail to work so people just give up. So next I tried a fake address to get to the offers, checked a few boxes and... blank screen. Man at least give me the run around a bit longer so I feel like I had a chance.

Togath
2012-10-31, 12:44 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 10:41pm / 22:41
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad is for a site labeled "jade's den", which according to it's description has something to do with "furrys" which seems like an inappropriate topic.

NineThePuma
2012-10-31, 12:50 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 10:41pm / 22:41
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad is for a site labeled "jade's den", which according to it's description has something to do with "furrys" which seems like an inappropriate topic.

Research has shown that the site is a PG15 information hub that aims to provide information safely, without the usual crop of, ah, NSFW material.

It does possess an affiliated "adults only" branch, but that is a separate site that is clearly labeled as such and only linked once, as far as I can tell.

The adults only branch has a banner to prevent entry by the underage. Not that it would stop kids who want in, but hey.

Togath
2012-10-31, 01:39 AM
Research has shown that the site is a PG15 information hub that aims to provide information safely, without the usual crop of, ah, NSFW material.

It does possess an affiliated "adults only" branch, but that is a separate site that is clearly labeled as such and only linked once, as far as I can tell.

The adults only branch has a banner to prevent entry by the underage. Not that it would stop kids who want in, but hey.

you do have a point about the main site, though it's link to the second site could be problematic.

silverwolfer
2012-11-25, 12:04 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible:11/25 9:02 am
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad is called giants girl, while not all that bad, it does seem to lean pretty hard on soft core porn presentation for female bodies.

http://www.giantgirladventures.com/comics/iss2pg25

As far as I got before I decided was not safe to view at work.

The Giant
2012-11-25, 05:00 PM
I think I'm going to have to fall back on my tried-and-true "I don't police the internet" defense here. It's a comic strip, with a tangible story (written by a woman) and no actual nudity. The ad itself is entirely harmless.

Do I personally find the artwork tasteless in its shame-free exploitation of the female body? Yes. Is it up to my forum readers to draw their own conclusions about such, should they choose to click on it? Yes.

Domochevsky
2012-12-16, 09:40 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 17.12.12 / 03:37 / GMT+1

4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad is for a Minecraft server called "PlebCraft". The objectionable part is that it's touting big on the banner that the server is "CRACKED". (Whatever way that would actually look like) I suspect this to be at least questionable, if not illegal.

Castaras
2012-12-17, 08:47 AM
Just to add to Domochevsky's report: had a look at the site, it gives out cracked clients for minecraft (ones you don't have to pay for) and does something to do with allowing you to add advertisements or something to it.

Either way, very reprehensible and not legal.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-12-23, 06:23 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 12/23/2012 20:19 (+9UCT)
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the World (Asia, specifically South Korea)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Get out of the Friendzone ...and INTO her pants! Watch this Video to Find Out How.

I chose not to watch the video, but those types of sites tend to be dodgy at best, and illegal at worst.

Elemental
2012-12-23, 08:05 AM
Just to add on to what Surfing HalfOrc has reported, it is also showing up here in Australia. Not sure if that needs to be said, but I just thought I'd mention it.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-12-30, 07:33 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: December 30th, 7:30 AM (Eastern)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Turn EVERY small email into... $60-$95 DAILY." Reeks of being a scam, especially the website, which does the tried-and-true "open up a dialogue box asking you not to leave when you try to close it," which is almost never a good sign.

The Giant
2012-12-31, 06:52 AM
The ad is for a Minecraft server called "PlebCraft". The objectionable part is that it's touting big on the banner that the server is "CRACKED". (Whatever way that would actually look like) I suspect this to be at least questionable, if not illegal.

Advertiser banned.

"Turn EVERY small email into... $60-$95 DAILY." Reeks of being a scam, especially the website, which does the tried-and-true "open up a dialogue box asking you not to leave when you try to close it," which is almost never a good sign.

Advertiser banned.

Get out of the Friendzone ...and INTO her pants! Watch this Video to Find Out How.

I can't seem to find this one in my list; if anyone sees it again, they can report it and I'll shut it down then.

The Giant
2013-01-04, 02:13 PM
I just banned an advertiser who may have been the one Surfing Half-Orc reported, but may have been a wholly different (and equally objectionable) one.

NineThePuma
2013-01-06, 05:04 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 1/6/2013, 5AM EST
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Want to have a better day? Click here and win a new ipad"

Spoilered below is the terms and conditions for winning:
THE FOLLOWING IS A SUMMARY OF PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS. SEE TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR COMPLETE DETAILS. Members are being accepted subject to the following Program Requirements: 1) Must be a legal US resident; 2) must be at least 18 years old or older; 3) must have a valid email and shipping address; 4) Eligible members can receive the incentive gift package by completing two reward offers from each of the Silver and Gold reward offer page options and nine reward offers from the Platinum reward offer page options and refer 3 friends to do the same. Various types of reward offers are available. Completion of reward offers most often requires a purchase or filing a credit application and being accepted for a financial product such as a credit card or consumer loan. The following link illustrates a Representative Sample of reward offers by group along with monetary and non-monetary obligations. Failure to submit accurate registration information will result in loss of eligibility. This promotion is administered solely by this website. This promotion is not available in all states. Please read the Terms and Conditions for complete program details. Your information will be shared with our marketing partners. Please read the Privacy Policy for more details.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-06, 03:14 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 1/6/2013, 12pM pst
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): top
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Dead guy with hole in head and blood everywhere

Domochevsky
2013-01-06, 05:33 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 1/6/2013, 12pM pst
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): top
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Dead guy with hole in head and blood everywhere

Also visible in Canada and the rest of the world. Kinda graphic.

The Giant
2013-01-06, 06:23 PM
Unicorn ad canceled, but I told the creator they could re-bid with a different ad.

Couldn't find the "Win an iPad!" ad.

Heliomance
2013-01-06, 09:21 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 7/1/13, 2.20 am
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): 465 dollars in 4 hours? No way! Click here!

Reeks of being a scam.

oblivion6
2013-01-06, 09:49 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 7/1/13, 2.20 am
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): 465 dollars in 4 hours? No way! Click here!

Reeks of being a scam.

Agreed. Also seen in North America.

Alabenson
2013-01-09, 06:18 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 1/9/13, 6:15 pm
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): WIN AN iPhone 5 Free!

Takes you to a typical "fill out a survey and register for our sponsors" site. Reeks of being a scam.

The Giant
2013-01-10, 02:05 AM
Advertiser blocked.

willpell
2013-01-10, 02:10 AM
Unicorn ad canceled, but I told the creator they could re-bid with a different ad.

Aw, I liked that one.

The Giant
2013-01-10, 02:13 AM
Please don't respond to this thread with anything but reports.

I have it set to notify me of responses to the thread, but the board software only does so for the first such response. Therefore, I have to come here and read every response that gets left in order to "reactivate" the notification, in case there's ever a really offensive ad that needs to be dealt with right away.

MikelaC1
2013-01-16, 06:47 PM
The stretched genitals ad is back.

Douglas
2013-01-16, 07:04 PM
Filling out the details on that one:
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 16, 2013, 7:01 pm
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Canada and Rest of the World
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad for webcomic called Character Development. It includes a four panel mini comic, and the punchline in the final panel mentions genitals.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-01-17, 03:31 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 17, 2013, 5:30 pm (GMT +9)
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the World (South Korea)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Hey You Girl! Yes, You! Stop Moaning about Getting Your Ex Back. Do Something About It. Click Here Now.
Also a Picture of Uncle Sam in the "I Want You" pose.

Looks like one of those shady "buy our program to get dates." I reported a similar one a few weeks back.

willpell
2013-01-17, 04:51 AM
[QUOTE=The Giant;11858149]
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 3:49 am (Central), January 17, 2013
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "The End of Youtube: Click to watch video". Not sure if it's objectionable per se, but I find it suspicious. It should be checked by someone with good security.

Lea Plath
2013-01-17, 06:44 AM
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Canada and Rest of the World
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad for webcomic called Character Development. It includes a four panel mini comic, and the punchline in the final panel mentions genitals.

I've seen it too.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 17, 2013, 11:44 AM

Serpentine
2013-01-17, 06:49 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 17, 2013, 9:50 PM
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top (comic), Bottom (Hey you girl)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): I'm seeing both of these ads at the moment. The "Get your ex back" one appears to be an ad for an (extremely dodgy-looking) self-help book.

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-17, 06:59 AM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "The End of Youtube: Click to watch video". Not sure if it's objectionable per se, but I find it suspicious. It should be checked by someone with good security.

It links to a youtube video of someone complaining about youtube's dark future.

The Giant
2013-01-17, 02:26 PM

Ad canceled. Advertiser has been contacted and told they could run a different (less objectionable) ad in the future.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 17, 2013, 5:30 pm (GMT +9)
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Hey You Girl! Yes, You! Stop Moaning about Getting Your Ex Back. Do Something About It. Click Here Now.
Also a Picture of Uncle Sam in the "I Want You" pose.

Ad canceled. Advertiser blocked.

I watched some of this, and it basically amounts to a pitch for an IndieGoGo drive to fund a new type of video content creation whatchamacallit, to prevent said "dark future." I don't think there's anything shady going on, unless someone has additional evidence.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-01-17, 04:44 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 18, 2013, 6:35 am (GMT +9)
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top and Bottom
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Not sure if this one is legal or not: World 8-4, a Minecraft Server.

I don't play Minecraft, so I don't know the difference between Legal and Shady servers. If this is legit, sorry for the false alarm.

The Giant
2013-01-17, 05:06 PM
I likewise know little, but it looks legitimate. If anyone has specific reason to think otherwise, feel free to say so. Otherwise, I'll let it stand.

TuggyNE
2013-01-18, 07:01 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 2013-01-18T15:57 GMT-8
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Some site called the "T-Shirt Bordello", with some ... vague innuendo.

Jimorian
2013-01-18, 07:12 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 2013-01-18T15:57 GMT-8
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Some site called the "T-Shirt Bordello", with some ... vague innuendo.

I don't see anything remotely NSFW or even mildly sexual. Unless you're referring to the "Trek yourself before you wreck yourself" which refers to a popular song with the line "Check yourself before you wreck yourself". Same goes for all the shirts on the site itself despite their slogan of "The place for dirty laundry" they keep everything clean and appropriate for public wearing.

TuggyNE
2013-01-18, 08:01 PM
I don't see anything remotely NSFW or even mildly sexual. Unless you're referring to the "Trek yourself before you wreck yourself" which refers to a popular song with the line "Check yourself before you wreck yourself". Same goes for all the shirts on the site itself despite their slogan of "The place for dirty laundry" they keep everything clean and appropriate for public wearing.

OK, maybe it's just weirdly tasteless. It still kinda bugs me though....

Hbgplayer
2013-01-22, 04:40 AM
1.Date/Time Visible: 01:30 PST (-8 gmt) 1/22/13
2.Region; California
3.Top/Bottom Box: Top Box
4.Objectionable Content: An Ad for an Asian Dating website, possibly a scam from the look of the ad; I didn't follow it to find out.

SiuiS
2013-01-22, 08:34 AM
Asiandating site looks legitimate actually. They have a mobile site and a few clicks aroun makes it feel creepy but not Scammy. No more of a scam than any other dating site at least.

oblivion6
2013-01-25, 11:01 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: January 25th/7:55 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Scrolling over the ad gave me a pop up that said "click here to get stoned" or something along those lines. Needless to say I didn't follow the link to confirm it was the ad. I don't trust my current firewall enough to do that.

Douglas
2013-01-25, 11:10 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: January 25th/7:55 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Scrolling over the ad gave me a pop up that said "click here to get stoned" or something along those lines. Needless to say I didn't follow the link to confirm it was the ad. I don't trust my current firewall enough to do that.
That sounds like the top box ad, not bottom, and it's for a webcomic. The "get stoned" line is a joke referring to the petrification by a medusa shown in the ad. This specific ad has been reported before, both for "stoned" and for a nudity reference, and was judged to be ok.

Edit: And it got swapped out moments after I posted.

oblivion6
2013-01-25, 11:20 PM
That sounds like the top box ad, not bottom, and it's for a webcomic. The "get stoned" line is a joke referring to the petrification by a medusa shown in the ad. This specific ad has been reported before, both for "stoned" and for a nudity reference, and was judged to be ok.

Edit: And it got swapped out moments after I posted.

Alright, I have noticed that ad up there many many times in the past but had never gotten the pop up before. My computer was lagging at the time so I guess that explains why it showed up for the bottom box.

Thanatos 51-50
2013-01-26, 09:15 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 26 January 2013, 0913 AM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad states "Does she want to be just friends? FIND OUT WHY! Click here!" Brief click-through confirms it's one of those about "The friend zone", and, more candidly, about getting women to sleep with you, and the portal asks for a name and an e-mail address. It's just enough to set my scam-alarm off.

Fragenstein
2013-01-30, 08:00 AM
Alright, I have noticed that ad up there many many times in the past but had never gotten the pop up before. My computer was lagging at the time so I guess that explains why it showed up for the bottom box.

Regardless, it still seems to violate the 'Flaming' rules:

•Posting insults or slurs based on anyone's race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, or sexual orientation is a Permanent Infraction (see below).

Depicting men as being unable to control their urges has drawn consequences in the past in these forums.

The Giant
2013-01-30, 05:19 PM
Regardless, it still seems to violate the 'Flaming' rules:

•Posting insults or slurs based on anyone's race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, or sexual orientation is a Permanent Infraction (see below).

Depicting men as being unable to control their urges has drawn consequences in the past in these forums.

Strictly speaking, advertisers are not under the exact same set of rules that posters are. While we do judge ads for their content—and often reject them based upon it—we do not necessarily draw the lines in the same place.

Further, let's not discuss whether an ad is appropriate or not here. Just report it and leave it to me to decide.

I will check into the other reports and post again.

McDouggal
2013-01-31, 06:30 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:30 EST
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Attention: Gamers in large red text. Offering free online backup, according to the add. Set off my scam alarm. I haven't gone to the website.

Othesemo
2013-01-31, 06:37 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:30 EST
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Attention: Gamers in large red text. Offering free online backup, according to the add. Set off my scam alarm. I haven't gone to the website.

Following the ad leads to a site (mypcbackup.com) which appears to legitimately offer pc backup services.

ericgrau
2013-02-01, 12:46 PM
Following the ad leads to a site (mypcbackup.com) which appears to legitimately offer pc backup services.

197 reviews:
http://reviewopedia.com/workathome/mypcbackup-com-reviews-legit-or-scam/
Around 50% or more of the reviewers complained about shoddy quality, difficulty canceling, adware and charging the credit card after the free trial against user wishes. Difficulty canceling was the biggest complaint.

There are accusations that even many of the 5 star reviews are fake, the other 50%, and when I read them many of them did seem to be worded like ads. I don't think real people could ever write comments like that and they are all way too similar to each other. Probably paid to put a feature list in their own words.

oblivion6
2013-02-01, 05:10 PM
Now that same site is advertising "Free $500 Gamestop giftcards." That really sounds like a scam to me.

Douglas
2013-02-01, 05:51 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 5:47 pm Eastern time, February 1, 2013
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Attention: Gamers Get a FREE $500 GameStop gift card". Investigating the site (branddealonline.com), their privacy policy includes a clause that you specifically authorize and consent to them bombarding you with third party telemarketing, and the terms and conditions to redeem the offer require getting numerous "sponsor action points" and referring friends.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-01, 07:07 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:06 pm Central, February 1, 2013
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Attention: Gamers Get a FREE $500 GameStop gift card".

Seems extremely scammy to me.

The Giant
2013-02-01, 07:29 PM
Advertiser blocked.

inuyasha
2013-03-01, 06:00 PM
I dont know if this is innapropriate or not but i actually have 2 things
1. This might be malware on my computer or something buut.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: pretty much all the time
3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): in the text in posts
4.) keeps appearing as a link to random sites to buy things like tablets, toys, clothes, and i think i saw *cough* womens clothing *cough* and when i put my cursor over it it says it's from solid savings
one example here https://www.hyundaiusa.com/?cid=sem&k_clickid=2917c0fe-96d1-2149-9373-000013224765
another one http://i.trkjmp.com/click?v=VVM6MzM4Nzk6MTA5Njpib251czo4NDFlZjg0YTVmNT FiZmQ4Y2M2MjIzNmFjMjJlN2EwMjp6LTEzODMtMTQ5MDIxOmFs dC5naWFudGl0cC5jb206MzM5OTc6ZGFkMDNhN2YzZmU3YmI5Yz ViYzY0NjU3NzhkOWFiNDk
it always redirects me to something random like this but it says solidsavings :p

and also i dont know where this is supposed to go but in the homebrew section of the forums there are 2 (2?) bots posting links to free video hosting sites for movies and for also political news from other countries n such
an example from today:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273891

Zherog
2013-03-01, 06:08 PM
For your first issue, it's Malware on your PC. A program like MalwareBytes or Spybot Search and Destroy will help you get rid of it. If you need help, start a thread in Friendly Banter - lots of folks there will be quick to give you the links and advice you need.

For the second, report the first post in the thread by clicking the red triangle in the bottom left corner of the post.

Serpentine
2013-03-01, 10:28 PM
I've had the first one. You have to go through your plug-ins and delete any that you didn't put in.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-03-06, 08:27 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 6, 2013 525PM (PST, GMT-8)
2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Northwest USA
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Slackstack, Take a Break, Relax". Shows under-clothed women.

Porthos
2013-03-06, 08:29 PM
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Slackstack, Take a Break, Relax". Shows under-clothed women.

Further Information:

3) Region: USA, Canada, Europe, and Rest of the World are all seeing this ad.

Tavar
1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 6th, 2013, 8:26 EST
4.)What appear to be two women, pictured only from the stomach down, in underwear/thongs. Both thongs are in the process of being taken off. The add says it is for Slackstack.com

Thormag

It's on all regions.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-03-06, 08:31 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 16, 2013, 7:29 pm
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Slackstack Take a break, relax. No idea what they sell, if anything, but the image is NSFW (two girls undressing each other)

Grey Wolf

Roland St. Jude
2013-03-06, 09:26 PM
Sheriff: Please stop with the minute-by-minute updates. It makes considerable extra work for Rich, who has to review them all to see if this is regarding multiple ads or just a single ad.

Please note that if you see that there is already a report for a given ad, it is not necessary to make another; we're not able to act faster because more than one person reported.

Also, please avoid general discussion of the ad boxes. Any post that is not a report will be deleted so that we can keep it easy for us to see for actual reports.

I've left the first several that were submitted more or less simultaneously, but there were another eight or so that pretty much just piled on and several that didn't say anything beyond "oh you beat me to it" or "eww!" Don't do that.

Starwulf
2013-03-08, 11:39 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 8th, 2013, 11:38 pm, EST
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Drugcraft. Seems awfully inappropriate to be advertising a version of minecraft that is focused on Drugs. May just be me being overly sensitive, but I wouldn't want my oldest daughter stumbling across that if she got on my computer.(To be clear, it's a minecraft private server(from what I can tell) called Drugcraft)

Flame of Anor
2013-03-09, 01:01 AM
March 9, 2013, 12:00 AM CST
USA
Bottom box
Drugcraft (as above)

The Giant
2013-03-09, 07:40 PM
Advertiser blocked.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-03-12, 06:52 PM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 13th, 2013, 0849, +9GMT
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Free Video Game Trading 99gamers Check it out. Text superimposed over new and current popular video game titles.

I didn't click on the ad, as they are usually scams/spams/malware. But generally when you see the words Free Video Games, you know they are iffy at best, and illegal at worst.

oblivion6
2013-03-12, 07:09 PM
It is visible in the U.S as well.

Bovine Colonel
2013-03-12, 08:22 PM
I tried opening the 99gamers ad and at first glance it doesn't seem all that bad. It appears to be a service by which you can sell old video games and purchase used ones from others using virtual currency. The ad doesn't refer to "free video games", it refers to "free video game trading." As in, the trading service is free but the video games aren't.

Also, the very few people who went on the site and rated it on Web of Trust gave it a perfect score for what that's worth.

Worira
2013-03-12, 08:23 PM
As far as I can tell for a quick look, it seems to be on the level. It's just a site that helps people trade their used games.

Oh, also visible in Canada.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-03-22, 05:11 AM
1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 22th, 2013, 7:07pm, +9 GMT
4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Attention Gamers! Want free games and prepaid game codes? <website redacted> Just Follow Our Stream, and Be There When We Are Live For a Chance to Win!

Yeah, that just scream "SCAM" to me. I've been wrong before, but I don't think so this time...

NM020110
2013-04-10, 01:08 PM
Visible: Time of Posting
Region: USA
Description: "Cardboard Crack<br>A Webcomic About the World's Most Addictive Game"; This is a fairly blatant reference to an illegal drug, noted to be innapropriate for this forum.

The Giant
2013-04-10, 02:59 PM
Yeah, no. It's a common slang terminology for Magic: The Gathering cards, and there's nothing about the comic being advertised that is even slightly about illegal drugs. No action taken.