PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Factotum Help

mooseofshadows
2011-09-16, 09:13 AM
I'm playing a Pathfinder game, but one player wanted to play a factotum because of how cool the concept of the class is. She's done really well with role-playing the concept, but she's always had a lot of trouble making this type of character effective in combat. Any tips? We're at level 6 now. The party is generally low on money for the moment and she's unable to really buy anything, but when she can, what should she be looking for?

If pathfinder makes factotums generally less effective for some reason, what can I do to help her? I'm half-tempted to move "Cunning Brilliance" up to a progression, like she can use 1/day at level 6 then 2/day at level 12 and 3/day at level 19. Possibly lower the inspiration cost. I know this seems insane, but this player probably wouldn't make the most of it anyway.

Enterti
2011-09-16, 09:26 AM
I'm playing a Pathfinder game, but one player wanted to play a factotum because of how cool the concept of the class is. She's done really well with role-playing the concept, but she's always had a lot of trouble making this type of character effective in combat. Any tips? We're at level 6 now. The party is generally low on money for the moment and she's unable to really buy anything, but when she can, what should she be looking for?

If pathfinder makes factotums generally less effective for some reason, what can I do to help her? I'm half-tempted to move "Cunning Brilliance" up to a progression, like she can use 1/day at level 6 then 2/day at level 12 and 3/day at level 19. Possibly lower the inspiration cost. I know this seems insane, but this player probably wouldn't make the most of it anyway.

So long as you allow access to font of inspiration she should be set. Factotum is a tier 3 class and so long as she doesn't really screw up building it she will be able to do something during every encounter/challenge.

stainboy
2011-09-16, 11:09 AM
What's her build like? What SLAs does she prepare? Does she have UMD maxed, and if so what consumables does she carry? Does she use combat maneuvers? Is she a creature type other than Humanoid?

You probably don't need to change the class, just give her some pointers on how to use her options better. But to figure out what she can improve we need to know what she does now.

Frosty
2011-09-16, 11:20 AM
Also, Vital Strike is the new Manyshot. Factotums get to buy extra standard actions in c ombat, so remember to abuse that!

kenjigoku
2011-09-16, 11:22 AM
I make the times per day stuff rounds per day similar to the barbarian. Other thank that it is still a solid class if you allow the Font of Inspiration feat.

shadow_archmagi
2011-09-16, 11:29 AM
Remember that inspiration points are per encounter, which means you can and should blow through them. Also remember that when you add your INT, it's in addition to whatever is already there, so feel free to very cunningly hit your enemy with a huge battleax.

I forget whether Grapple/Bull Rush/Trip counts as valid for Brains over Brawn; if so, do it like crazy.

stainboy
2011-09-16, 12:00 PM
In 3.5: Trip and Bull Rush yes, Disarm and Grapple no.

In PF: Brains over Brawn probably should work on CMB, but it doesn't unless your conversion changes it.