PDA

View Full Version : Fluff for a Rakshasa

AugustNights
2011-09-16, 11:39 AM
Rakshasa.
Backwards hands.
Tiger face.
Force of extraordinarily well organized evil.
Read your thoughts.
Change their shape at will.
Native Outsider. (Insider?)
Spell-like abilities.

So, What's their story?
Where do they come from.
Why do they evil at things?
What makes them "outsiders" and not aberrations?
Where can I find more information?
What's their favorite color?

Maryring
2011-09-16, 11:45 AM
Evil creatures of oriental myth.
They come from Hindu/Buddhism.
They do evil things because they don't like piety.
They're outsiders because their role is similar to demons.
Google it. Wikia it. Ask someone versed in hinduism/buddhism.
Crimson. Like your blood.

Or did you want DnD focused answers?

AugustNights
2011-09-16, 01:30 PM
Seeing as that I am posting in the D&D 3e/3.5e/d20 section of Roleplaying Games, I figure it isn't too big of a leap to assume that I'm looking for information in relation to D&D.

Eldan
2011-09-16, 01:40 PM
As far as I can tell, there is really none, relating to D&D. I remember seeing a vague remark somewhere in Planescape that there are some on Baator and Acheron, but that's just about all.

AugustNights
2011-09-16, 04:26 PM
Huh, well that's a pity...

Analytica
2011-09-16, 04:39 PM
Eberron has lots of details. Basically, they are fiends and the opposite force to the dragon races in that setting. This has nothing to to with their mythical origins, but...

(Note also how fey in Exalted are "Raksha"; there are also connections in WoD where there are Rakshasa bloodlines, particularly monstrous vampires.)

Ason
2011-09-16, 04:57 PM
Eberron has lots of details. Basically, they are fiends and the opposite force to the dragon races in that setting. This has nothing to to with their mythical origins, but...

Bah! You beat me to the punch with the Eberron connection, though I can at least add to it by saying that the Rakshasas in that setting are generally part of the organization known as the "Lords of Dust," so that might be another source of info.

sonofzeal
2011-09-16, 05:43 PM
Rakshasa are "Outsider (native)", a very peculiar situation. As Outsiders they're spirits - their body IS their soul, as opposed to Humanoids who have a body AND a soul. They are, effectively, earthbound fiends. Oearth is their plane, in the same way that Baator belongs to the Devils and Elysium belongs to the Guardinals.

That the race attuned to this plane is "always lawful evil" may go a long way towards explaining why adventurer's lives suck so much. Of course, the Couatl are the other main native Outsiders for this plane, and they're LG, which may go a long way towards explain why there are adventurers in the first place.

ZombiePunch
2011-09-16, 06:40 PM
There's a section in Dragon 326 page 66-70 on them entitled the Ecology of the Rakshasha

Cog
2011-09-16, 06:43 PM
Rakshasa are "Outsider (native)", a very peculiar situation. As Outsiders they're spirits - their body IS their soul, as opposed to Humanoids who have a body AND a soul. They are, effectively, earthbound fiends. Oearth is their plane, in the same way that Baator belongs to the Devils and Elysium belongs to the Guardinals.

That the race attuned to this plane is "always lawful evil" may go a long way towards explaining why adventurer's lives suck so much. Of course, the Couatl are the other main native Outsiders for this plane, and they're LG, which may go a long way towards explain why there are adventurers in the first place.
Alternatively, the Couatls are why all these ancient tombs, mausoleums, and dungeons remain preserved in traps-working order for millenia upon millenia, their trove of archaeological information just waiting for the edification of those yet to come... and the Rakshasas are responsible for all the murderous hobos running around, more interested is lifting the shiny swords than laying down an excavation grid.

Arbane
2011-09-16, 07:05 PM
(Note also how fey in Exalted are "Raksha"; there are also connections in WoD where there are Rakshasa bloodlines, particularly monstrous vampires.)

There's also Raksi, the baby-eating psycho Lunar Exalted with the backwards hands.

sonofzeal
2011-09-16, 07:22 PM
Alternatively, the Couatls are why all these ancient tombs, mausoleums, and dungeons remain preserved in traps-working order for millenia upon millenia, their trove of archaeological information just waiting for the edification of those yet to come... and the Rakshasas are responsible for all the murderous hobos running around, more interested is lifting the shiny swords than laying down an excavation grid.
Point... except "murderous hobos" doesn't sound like so much of a Rakshasa thing.

In point of reference, the only other Native Outsiders in any book I'm aware of are the Triton (CR 2), Janni (CR 4), planetouched, and templated monsters or other creatures that gained the Outsider type through other means, like class levels. Rakshasa and Couatls are pretty much it, as far as powerful native outsiders. Strange no later books added any, but what can you do?

LoneStarNorth
2011-09-16, 07:26 PM
In my campaign, there were only three rakshasas in the world (each a different variant). They were the offspring of a succubus and a weretiger.

If you don't want to use the real-world mythological roots, just make up something cool.

Quietus
2011-09-16, 07:53 PM

I love this.

Acanous
2011-09-16, 07:54 PM
in a game I play in, Rakshasas are an order of assassins, informants, and seducers in the employ of Asmodeus.
They frequently clash with Dopplegangers.

Alleran
2011-09-16, 08:42 PM
Bah! You beat me to the punch with the Eberron connection, though I can at least add to it by saying that the Rakshasas in that setting are generally part of the organization known as the "Lords of Dust," so that might be another source of info.
Though the real big daddy Rakshasa Rajahs are, I think, called "Overlord" rather than an outsider or similar.

Dalek-K
2011-09-16, 08:46 PM
I believe in 4e they are described as being an evil Deva.

Basically if the Deva was evil in life, when he "dies" he is reborn as a Rakshasa and vice versa ... or something like that...

sonofzeal
2011-09-16, 08:52 PM
Though the real big daddy Rakshasa Rajahs are, I think, called "Overlord" rather than an outsider or similar.
They still have the Outsider type. Even deities have the Outsider type.

Alleran
2011-09-16, 09:42 PM
They still have the Outsider type. Even deities have the Outsider type.
Having checked, you are indeed correct. "Overlord" appears to be their race rather than their actual type.

Mauther
2011-09-16, 10:05 PM
I believe MM3 or MM4 has some variant breeds. An assasin breed based of jaguars, and a necromancer based of albino tigers. There's some background in those monster descriptions.

Deimess
2011-09-16, 10:45 PM
This is from the D&D wiki, listing where you can find more about rakshasas. Most have already been mentioned.

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 edition (2003-2007)

The rakshasa appears in the revised Monster Manual for this edition (2003).

The Zakya rakshasa for the Eberron campaign setting appeared in the Eberron Campaign Setting (2004).

The Ak'chazar rakshasa and the Naztharune rakshasa appeared in Monster Manual III (2004).[6]

The rakshasa is further detailed in Dragon #326 (December 2004), in "The Ecology of the Rakshasa."[7]

The rakshasa overlords for the Eberron setting appeared in Dragon #337 (November 2005).

The Naityan rakshasa appeared in the Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords (2006).[

In my campaign, 3 very powerful rakshasa created an artifact (2 died in its creation) that the players need. They are certainly not the only ones though.

By RAW, they are equal to if not more evil than demons (and sometimes considered a type of demon). Since they are a major part of my campaign, I also found their lack of fluff disturbing.

Plus, is it Rakshasa or Raksasha? I found both all over the place.

AugustNights
2011-09-16, 11:14 PM
Plus, is it Rakshasa or Raksasha? I found both all over the place.

Rakshasa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) for purposes of the D&D creature.

Interesting stuff's being posted.
Thank you posters of interesting stuff.

Alleran
2011-09-17, 12:52 AM
Since they are a major part of my campaign, I also found their lack of fluff disturbing.
They have erased most of the references to them from not just history books, but even the out-of-game rulebooks. :smallcool:

Iamyourking
2011-09-17, 01:19 AM
There was actually a thread about this way back in 2009, which both myself and the always knowledgeable Tygre contributed to. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134039). I included mine here, but I suggest reading the thread for other ideas; Tygre especially makes excellent points.
I've always envisioned them as being allies with the devils, living in Hell. Kind of like the Kytons, their maharaja is allowed some degree of autonomy; although they live in Hell only at Asmodeus' whim. Of course, being truly lawful beings, neither side is likely to break the contract and they live in relative harmony. Their primary base of operations is a huge palace-fortress in Maladomini, where their leaders play politics with Baalzebul and his court, but most of them live in the city of Dis.
They have a caste system, but they themselves are only the upper class; various servants and slaves fill the lower castes. Their innate spellcasting ability means that all the castes make use of it in some way; the lowest Rakshasas are the craftsmen who make magic items while the warrior caste is mostly gishes of various kinds and the nobles and priests are all powerful sorcerers. Their Baatezu allies look down on them for the lack of social mobility they display, there is virtually no limit to how high a suffiently cunning and powerful devil can rise while Rakshasas are stuck in their castes. The castes certainly have vicious internal politics with the members jockying for position within them, but there is no way to become a higher caste.
Unsuprisingly, they are tied closely to cats and most rakshasas keep them as pets. A strong enough pedigree cat can be a powerful status symbol, similar to owning a fancy car, and one of the favorite pastimes of the idle rich is breeding and displaying cats. The most distinguished and skilled warriors may be allowed to join the elite corps of Fiendish Dire Tiger mounted knights; all of their steeds are bred by the Maharaja and for him to grant one to a warrior is a huge honor. There are other stables that keep and breed big cats, both as guardians and cavalry mounts, but those that can carry an armored warrior are rare and much sought after.
Rakshasa warriors occasionly serve as auxiliaries in the Blood War and have been quite succesful in doing so. The individual wealth of each warrior, along with the innate magic in their society, means that each of them are well equipped; favoring ornate fluted armor and a tulwar/shield combo. All of them are proficient in the use of bows, but don't often get to use them in battle due to the prevalence and height advantage of erinyes archers. Mages of all kinds are common, but the powerful ones generally disdain combat and will not participate. The majority of the warriors use their magic for selfbuffing, the dedicated mages tend to favor firey evocations that can be used without fear of harming their allies. Occasionely they prepare electricity spells for counterspelling, since demons are immune to it while devils have no resistence, but it is difficult to earn prestige when, if you are doing your job right, nothing happens. The tiger knights all have extremely good gear and have distinguished themselves many times with their assaults; they have an intense rivalry with the Infernal Charge that both Duke Abigor and Rajah Varna allow to continue as it propells both units to try harder. The nightmares that the Infernal Charge ride are faster and respond better to commands, while their narzugon riders are superior horsemen; but the sheer havoc that dozens of sonic lances followed by rampaging tigers can cause is truly something. The elite infantry are Warblades who fight with their trademark two-bladed swords, their mastery of Iron Heart has few equals.

sonofzeal
2011-09-17, 04:14 AM
Except that completely disregards what little we actually know about them - namely, that they're native to the Material plane, so neither Baator or the Abyss.

If anything, they're a competitor against both sides of the Blood War, holding out their domain (Oerth) against encroachment from both sides. Their vested interest in the Blood War continuing might bring them into temporary alliance with one side or the other - if demons looked poised to overrun Baator, then the Rakshasa might willingly cooperate with Devils. But such cooperation would be short-lived and fragile, and rife with manipulation and edging for the upper hand. Like Russia and the Allies during WW2, both sides would know it's only a matter of time.

I see Rakshasa as less evil than either Demons or Devils though (note that they don't have the "evil" subtype). They're still evil, but less philosophically so. They're utterly ruthless but don't give a fig about evil for its own sake, and see that as a major failing of the Devils and a sign of their own superiority. They're "evil", not "vile".

Not that they're entirely human in their perspective. As creatures of almost pure magic, their superiority complex (a common enough trait among D&D villains) borders on the psychotic. With DR 15 and SR 27 and stat bonuses across the board, they revel in their own immortality, and the trivial ease with which they manipulate mortals with Change Shape and Detect Thoughts. A typical Rakshasa is almost physiologically incapable of seeing any mortal as a peer, even a lesser peer. We are like animals to them. They might admire a human's actions, but only in the way a human might admire a dog's. You could never hope to negotiate with a Rakshasa as an equal, only to be thrown a bone from time to time if you've shown proper deference. Even Devils are easier to negotiate with than Rakshasas.

AugustNights
2011-09-17, 12:49 PM
Even more awesome information.

I have a quandary, and it is this.
In the worlds-setting things that I create I have set the role of Fey to be the "Outsiders" of the (Material Plane).
That is to say that Fey behave like Outsiders, with the body-soul, deal, and work on the Prime Material Plane and the Shadow Plane, and have a significant role in the blood war (I have also included the Seven Mounting Heavens and the Elysium, and Split Angels from Archons, creating an effective 5-6 point war, where the entities of Law and Chaos, for the most part refrain from joining...Long story short, Fey work to keep the war going, as long as the outside planes are at war, they remain the rulers of the Prime Material and Shadow Planes, which is where mortals and mortal souls exist, and everyone wants a piece of that action for some reason or another...)
Would it be inappropriate to change the Rakshasa to Fey (or lump them in with them) most likely from the shadow plane, or would Aberration be more accurate, as that they could be the contorted souls of Saints/Ascended Monks and the like. (Interesting that Monks can become Native Outsiders as well).

Reason I would change it, is that I don't like "Outsider" as title for ancestrally creatures native to the material plane. Planetouched make sense, as Native Outsiders as that their born within the material plane, but of the ancestral heritage to those from beyond. My games tend to assume that the names of creatures are given from a prime material plane, human dominant, common-speaking, perspective.

Being fond of the Buddhist entity of Mara and his several daughters, I think I may work with something like that. Rakshasi replacing Rakshasa...more reading is called for...

Seffbasilisk
2011-09-17, 04:13 PM
There's a Demon Prince in Dragon Magazine that was released in one of the early D&D games, his main lieutenants are known as the Hollow Rajahs. They're Rakshasas with other animal heads.

In Hindu lore, they cannot be slain by conventional means, and anything but a blessed crossbow bolt they reincarnate from.

In most of the old texts on them, they're compulsive gamblers, and while they may be deceptive on almost everything else, they always honor their debts. Rakshasas would gamble for other people's bodies. It's said they drink the blood and eat the flesh of defeated foes.

I'm playing a Rakshasa Sorcerer/Mindbender/Incantatrix in my IRL game currently, so I read up on them a bit.

I really like the compulsive gambler bit, it adds a deliciously chaotic feel to an otherwise rigidly lawful character.

*.*.*.*
2011-09-17, 04:53 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it is speculated that Rakshasa are descendants of Arcanololths. In retrospect, it does make sense.

mootoall
2011-09-17, 05:07 PM
Well the standard D&D universe names everything in terms of the Great Wheel, where Outsiders come from the outer planes.

Zonugal
2011-09-17, 06:12 PM
I always remember this demotivational picture...

http://mrpa.2295723.n2.nabble.com/file/n5946636/Rakshasas.jpg

Zaq
2011-09-17, 11:10 PM
I always remember this demotivational picture...

[snip]

While that's a really good picture, it bothers me to no end that the rakshasa's thumb is on the right side (which is to say the wrong side for a rakshasa), and it makes me sad that I'm letting a relatively trivial detail bother me like that.

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-17, 11:32 PM
Is that picture really supposed to be a Rakshasa though? I mean it could just be a tiger-man of some sort. I don't know what comic or whatever it comes from.

Darthteej
2011-09-18, 12:48 AM
I don't think it's supposed to be a Rakshasha...

Zonugal
2011-09-18, 04:19 PM
While that's a really good picture, it bothers me to no end that the rakshasa's thumb is on the right side (which is to say the wrong side for a rakshasa), and it makes me sad that I'm letting a relatively trivial detail bother me like that.

Oh don't worry, there is one ready for such a response...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/ArcherYiZe/rakshasa2.jpg

Andorax
2011-09-19, 01:18 PM
Another source, if you can get your hands on it. Before Pathfinder was a campaign setting, it was a replacement for the Dungeon/Dragon magazines (and particularly the much-loved Adventure Paths).

Pathfinder #9 (Escape from Old Korvosa) has the Pathfinder-universe take on Rakshasas, and it's definately a worthy read. Also includes a new type of Rakshasa (the Maharajah, a CR 18 terror). I once fully HD-advanced one of these, plus a few tweaks, as a variety of Eberron Rakshasa Rajah.

Yanagi
2011-09-19, 03:18 PM
I tend to juggle D&D Rakshasas and bits and pieces of their starting point in Hindu mythology. In particular, their role as the primary adversaries in the epic, Ramayana...virtually all of the bad guys are shapeshifting highly-magical LE people (the tiger thing is an add on)...and the primary antagonists, Ravana and his family, provide a great jumping off points for conceptualizing D&D Rakshasas with their weird mix of ruthlessness, family loyalty, skewed honor, and general mystique.

My own "take" on this has been to have D&D Rakshasas have a racial mythology that traces back to the island of Lanka--not the actual (Sri) Lanka of the epic, but something more like a demiplane--and have an inverted (and slightly less specific) version of the Ramayana. In turn, the various clans trace their lineages back to the royal personages...Ravana and his family...and have their own discrete philosophies, motives, and abilities correspondingly.