PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Arcane Duelist PC Gen

TyphoonJetson
2011-09-16, 11:52 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if you might have some advice for a burnt-out old GM!

I’m finally being allowed a chance to play after years of running games, and it occurs to me I’m not really sure how to make a decent character (I can get away with alot of fudging when making the BBEG :smallwink:).

I would like tips on a Bard Arcane Duelist melee build. I’ve never played a Bard before and I have read Treantmonks guide, but would like some advice on the newer material (UM, UC, etc.)

Pathfinder Core, APG, UM, UC and anything to do with Ustalev is permitable. The party consists of a Barbarian, Cleric and Sorcerer. Ill most likely end up being the Barbarians flanking buddy.

Starting at 1st level.

20pt Attribute buy.

What would be good feats for the first few levels? I kind of like the idea of Mobility and Vital Strike.

Also, is Dimensional Agility/ Dimensional Assault a good idea for Bard? They get Dimension Door fairly late in the game.

Thanks for any help!

Caphi
2011-09-16, 12:15 PM
Some thoughts:

Don't do Mobility or Vital Strike. It sounds likely that you and the barbarian are going to open by closing or charging, surround one guy, and beat on him until he's dead. Bring a greatsword or falchion instead. Remember that bards in Pathfinder can maintain inspire courage and heroics while fighting (but it takes up your swift actions).

For similar reasons, Spring Attack and variants aren't good (but dimension door is).

At level 4, a bard can learn mirror image. Make it happen. It'll save you an awful lot of getting hit.

You already know what kind of spells are good for shutting down enemies. Keep a few of them handy. You will certainly need dispels and defense strippers against flying, invisibility, etc.

I would advise you not to forget that you are still a bard, and you can use a portion of your skills and spells for things like sneaking, gathering information, getting around, or being the diplomat.

TyphoonJetson
2011-09-16, 01:31 PM
Any suggestions on feats to utilize the Bard weapons? I was trying to avoid dipping into Fighter since the campaign progression will be slow.

motionmatrix
2011-09-16, 02:16 PM
Arcane Strike is pretty much perfect for you.

You may consider a spiked chain, it will cost you a feat, but you get a 10ft. threat range and can still do the flanking with the barbarian tactic.

And since you are going to be in the thick of melee, giving enemies a reason not to come near you is great since you have fewer hit points.

I would still use the Mirror Image advice given above at the same time, for the times they decide you are still worth getting next to.

You are a bard, you are not the big damage dealer, but all about options.

Krazzman
2011-09-16, 02:56 PM
IF you play with Traits: Take Family Heirloom Nagashi. 1d10 18-20x3(?) with Slashing and Piercing and Breach.

Powerattack and Dodge are probably good choices for the Start. (Dodge not sooo much) Else: go with Falchion and Half Orc.

The rest is done via Arcane Duelist Archetype.

Have a nice Day,
Krazzman