PDA

View Full Version : [PF] DMing an Alchemist: how strict with supplies?

evillemming
2011-09-16, 01:17 PM
So in my campaign (currently a 3rd level party), we have a character that just multi-classed into Alchemist. I was reading over the class in the SRD, and it says that vials and such are assumed to be like a spell component pouch.

So what I was wondering, if anyone had experience with the class and how your DM (or you as the DM) handled the alchemist character's supplies? Did you require him to spend time and money in town refilling vials, regents, etc? Did you require him to keep track of how many bombs he could make (aside from the 3+int bonus, what I am referring to is how many actual vials he has)? And so forth. Or do you just assume he has that all on him, even if the party has been in the wild for days or weeks?

A nit-picky DM could make this class a bookkeeping nightmare, but a too lax one could make it silly. I am trying to find a happy medium.

Any thoughts?

Larpus
2011-09-16, 01:48 PM
Well, extract vials can always be re-used, so it's not completely ridiculous to go on for weeks without restocking; as for bombs, they're said to be small, so I see little problem with the Alchemist having a ridiculous number of them (also, if you want to be a bit more realistic about it, allow him to use other things, like wood, leather and the such as makeshift bombs).

As for how to handle it, it's just like handling a caster's component pouch, just make him throw some money whenever you think it's appropriate so he's purchasing his ingredients without giving much mind as to what exactly he buys. If the party happens to be going on a long trip just assume he made the appropriate preparations and bought multiple components so he doesn't run out midways.

These minor things like component pouches and the such are just for flavor, doesn't really make or break anyone mechanically (other than the standard "you've been stripped from every possession" scenario), so I wouldn't penalize anyone over it, even when it makes no sense, as that would be the same as say that in the middle of battle the Barbarian had to desperately take a poop (since he didn't say before that he went to the bathroom) and now can only move half his speed.

deuxhero
2011-09-16, 01:58 PM
Have him use monster parts as components. Say they have no value to anyone but him. This is esp valid if he has ranks in survival.

Given the class abilities are alreddy very reminiscent of The Witcher, just take it one step further.

Eshi
2011-09-16, 02:01 PM
There's a 3rd party alchemist archetype, Herbalist, that's based on foraging nature for making extracts and such. Disregarding that, it's not unreasonable to assume that an average alchemist has enough understand of his class abilities to forage the same components for long treks through wilderness. But I kinda like being nit picky so I bought ~10 glass vials at character creation to be used for my extracts. For the love of god do not treat bombs the same way. :smalleek:

evillemming
2011-09-16, 02:29 PM
Some good ideas, thanks! Yeah I really do not want to burden the player or make the class any less fun, it is a game afterall lol. I do see how I can incorporate maybe a little realism though. I'll probably just have him throw some silver at the old halfling witch that runs the apoc. shop whenever they are in town. I like playing her anyway, lol.

I also forgot to have him get a formula book... or can he use his spellbook from his Magus levels to write both types of magic in it?

... that is a good question on its own, can a multi-classed caster write different types of spells/formula in a single book?

Larpus
2011-09-16, 02:44 PM
Not sure if it's covered by RAW anywhere, but I'd say that yes, he can with no problem, it's not like it's an overpowered decision anyway, the only difference between a spellbook and a formulae book is that formulaes are written differently and all that (to me sounds like a bit of unneeded fluff, but ok, not like an Alchemist couldn't keep both).

subject42
2011-09-16, 02:59 PM
As long as he isn't trying to use the components for anything outside of making bombs, infusions, mutagens, and the like, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's like spell components. You don't make the wizard keep track of them until he attempts to craft a stockade wall out of an infinite supply of bat guano.

deuxhero
2011-09-16, 07:55 PM
Or feed the party on cream pies.