PDA

View Full Version : Wicker Man based adventure (not the remake)

Mauther
2011-09-16, 03:23 PM
I'm looking at making an extended encounter based on the old Wicker Man movie (Christopher Lee not Nicholas Cage). But the flick itself while great with suspense is more than a little lite on action. Also, many of the tricks in the film depend on the protagonist being alone, so a team puts a crimp in that. Plus, when the worshipers decide to make the sacrifice, its easier when he's an unarmed bobby vs an 8th level pyromancer.

Any body want to venture into this mess, or able to point to a source of something similar. Obviously the end combat will have to include the titular monster.

Analytica
2011-09-16, 04:35 PM
I would like the opposite approach, really. A group of low-level druids (one multiclassed with aristocrat and looking really hot :smallredface:) try to enact the steps to an important ritual that will allow the crops to grow again. This involves subtly getting a Vow of Chastity paladin NPC to the place where he must be sacrificed, without him realizing it... :smallbiggrin:

But back on topic; maybe the PCs need to find the paladin, but hear from his squire that he is out investigating something. They retrace his steps, fight low-level druids and fey along the way trying to cover up the tracks, and end up at the sacrifice ceremony. There, they need to take out the druid leader before the paladin has burnt to death, i.e. there is a time limit to that battle.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-16, 05:05 PM
The remake? So, no bees then?:smallfrown:

The Glyphstone
2011-09-16, 05:06 PM
Or bear suits?

Dr.Epic
2011-09-16, 05:54 PM
Or bear suits?

I don't know about bear suits. Those would be kind of...unBEARable.:smallwink:

comicshorse
2011-09-16, 08:55 PM
I'm looking at making an extended encounter based on the old Wicker Man movie (Christopher Lee not Nicholas Cage). But the flick itself while great with suspense is more than a little lite on action. Also, many of the tricks in the film depend on the protagonist being alone, so a team puts a crimp in that. Plus, when the worshipers decide to make the sacrifice, its easier when he's an unarmed bobby vs an 8th level pyromancer.

Any body want to venture into this mess, or able to point to a source of something similar. Obviously the end combat will have to include the titular monster.

Huh, Monster ?

Mauther
2011-09-16, 10:01 PM
a wickerman is also a druidic construct from the Fiend Folio

mafddawg
2011-09-17, 05:50 AM
I don't know about bear suits. Those would be kind of...unBEARable.:smallwink:

Ugh, bear puns, those are always so ... ursinine.

The Glyphstone
2011-09-17, 08:05 AM

They do have a tendency to polarize threads quickly.

OT...yeah,I got nothing. Sadly, I've never seen the Christopher Lee version.

hangedman1984
2011-09-18, 11:43 PM
Sadly, I've never seen the Christopher Lee version.

BLASPHEMY!! I demand you rectify this immediately

Dr.Epic
2011-09-19, 06:26 AM

Just be glad they weren't a bear warrior, otherwise at level 10 these puns would be dire.:smallwink:

BlueInc
2011-09-21, 03:04 PM
I would like the opposite approach, really. A group of low-level druids (one multiclassed with aristocrat and looking really hot :smallredface:) try to enact the steps to an important ritual that will allow the crops to grow again. This involves subtly getting a Vow of Chastity paladin NPC to the place where he must be sacrificed, without him realizing it... :smallbiggrin:

I actually second this. Seems like a cool departure from "find out what the evil cult is up to" trope.

Tengu_temp
2011-09-21, 04:37 PM
Why not base it on a remake? Combat encounters with giant bees would work great for adding a bit more action to the story.