PDA

View Full Version : cheaply healing ability damage

sreservoir
2011-09-16, 05:37 PM
preferably with items, because I have only two feats to spare.

must be reusable, and preferably cheaper than 200 gp/point/day, because orbs of mental restoration are probably better than that.

alternatively, some way of getting restorations and heighten onto the beguiler spell list with at most one feat, to use mitigate suffering.

TurtleKing
2011-09-16, 05:40 PM
Well there is a very cheap method. It is called sleeping. If you rest for a night you heal 1 point of ability damage.

Psyren
2011-09-16, 05:44 PM
Take a level of Binder and bind Naberius every morning?

sreservoir
2011-09-16, 05:48 PM
Take a level of Binder and bind Naberius every morning?

right, I forgot about that ability of naberius. (although I think that's basically the most common reason binder dips get mentioned: naberius ability healing cheese.)

Psyren
2011-09-16, 06:20 PM
right, I forgot about that ability of naberius. (although I think that's basically the most common reason binder dips get mentioned: naberius ability healing cheese.)

It's not cheese; as you yourself have no doubt discovered, ability damage is annoying. It's not like you can cure the entire party of it.

sreservoir
2011-09-16, 06:51 PM
It's not cheese; as you yourself have no doubt discovered, ability damage is annoying. It's not like you can cure the entire party of it.

that's the probably-intended use. I was actually fiddling with corrupt spells and those feats in elder evils, so.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-16, 06:56 PM
Rod of Bodily Restoration, MIC. Every party should have at least one of these. In the lower levels every character should make a point of getting a Healing Belt (MIC) as well.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-16, 07:10 PM
Naberius: Sacking your Stats for fun and profit (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4124.0)

:smalltongue:

ericgrau
2011-09-16, 07:35 PM
At 6.2k total I dunno. You might never even need 20 lesser restorations and if you do you're likely to need to heal multiple people at once and for the same ability score so that then the rods only provide partial usefulness. I mean what you're saying by getting the rods is "I expect 20 fights with ability damage soon, such that I'm willing to worsen my effectiveness elsewhere in the meantime." Often that means 7 levels and 5 months of real time.

Ideally, if possible, I'd get a 25 charge wand for 2.25k or at worst comission a 50 charge wand for 4.5k. Lesser resto also handles fatigue and ray of enfeeblement, which is a minor additional bonus.

In general expendables give more bang for your limited budget. By the time you think you might get your money's worth out of the re-usable, it is once again more powerful to buy expendables and the money you lost from your decision 5 levels ago is laughably small compared to your new budget. That said the rod and orb heal a ton of damage at once and I'd get one of them (and not the other) if, say, I was in a campaign focused on armies of shadows so that I could get frequent enough uses out of it to be worth it. But in general I wouldn't.

kestrel404
2011-09-16, 07:39 PM
Bah. He's already using UMD. Buy a paladin's wand of lesser restoration: it's 750 gp.

ericgrau
2011-09-16, 07:43 PM
Actually it'd be caster level 2 for 1500 gp and paladins wands are generally not available for spells that are also cleric spells, but ya, something like that. Hunt down the rare paladin with craft wand and commission one (which then must be fully charged) or get a used cleric wand with half charges or whatever you can manage. Heck argue for a random number of charges if you have to; used wands both are perfectly reasonable and allowed in RAW.

Acanous
2011-09-16, 07:43 PM
if your party contains a wizard, trap their spellbook with a Magical Resetting Trap of Lesser Restoration.

If you get the spell cast by a paladin, it's dirt cheap. It never runs out, it's capable of fixing more than just ability damage, there's rules for trapping spellbooks, getting around the usual "Must be immobile" caveat... and it's a note to the DM: We do not enjoy ability damage, so it goes away after every fight.

deuxhero
2011-09-16, 07:54 PM
Actually it'd be caster level 2 for 1500 gp

Stop! Artificer time!

kestrel404
2011-09-16, 08:17 PM
Stop! Artificer time!

Or Archivist.

ericgrau
2011-09-16, 08:28 PM
Damn it now I got MC hammer music stuck in my head.

Grendus
2011-09-17, 06:44 PM
Stop! Artificer time!

You'd want an Archivist, actually. After an Archivist learns it from a paladin scroll, it's a first level Archivist spell, so they can craft a wand of it for 750. An Artificer can't replicate that because technically Lesser Restoration is a second level Archivist spell... the only spells on their base spell list are cleric spells.

Zaq
2011-09-17, 08:55 PM
Check this out. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189716&highlight=microguide)

If you do nothing else, you can grab a Restful Candle and a few potions/scrolls/wands of Healthful Rest. If you really start cranking it, though . . .

kestrel404
2011-09-18, 06:18 AM
Oh my, I'd never noticed the Mind over body feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#mindOverBody) before. That's very nice!

deuxhero
2011-09-18, 10:31 AM
You'd want an Archivist, actually. After an Archivist learns it from a paladin scroll, it's a first level Archivist spell, so they can craft a wand of it for 750. An Artificer can't replicate that because technically Lesser Restoration is a second level Archivist spell... the only spells on their base spell list are cleric spells.

Artificer can't pull from the Paladin list directly and bypass the minimum CL=2 issue?

deuxhero
2011-09-18, 10:32 AM
Oh my, I'd never noticed the Mind over body feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#mindOverBody) before. That's very nice!

Of course, the wording makes it have no effect if you're con drained... Indeed, you actually get penalized for having it.