PDA

View Full Version : Anthropomorphic Magical Beasts?!?

Getsugaru
2011-09-16, 05:46 PM
So I was randomly flipping through the Spell Compendium, when I saw this picture:http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/spellcomp_gallery/92209.jpgIt got me thinking; we have Were Wolves, Were Rats, Were Tigers, etc. and Anthropomorphic Animals, so what would a Were/Anthropomorphic Displacer Beast be like? So I start to look around for anything similar to that, and instead found more creatures that would be fun as Anthropomorphic/Were creatures; ex. Blink Dog, Terlen, Rust Monster, Kruthiks, Magma Hurler, Phargion (Organic Melee Droidika, anyone?), etc.

So now I've come to you, the Playground, to ask: Is there such a creature and, if not, how would you stat it out? Also, what other non-animal/non-humanoids would you like to see as a Bipedal, Were/Anthropomorphic creatures?

If possible, let's try to avoid HD, unless absolutely necessary.

Pyromancer999
2011-09-16, 06:29 PM
Catgirls!....Yeah, sort of trying to figure out a meshing of animalistic and humanoid animals myself. You can always use the Mundane template from the template project, try to figure out something for yourself, or use this thing I just whipped up in 5 minutes(note: may not be perfect):

Anthromorphic

Choose one creature with the Humanoid type, referred hereon out as the humanoid, and one creature with either the Magical Beast or Animal type, referred to hereon out as the animal.

Size: Same as the Humanoid's.

Type: Type changes to Monstrous Humanoid, with the (Augmented) subtype

HD: The resulting creature has HD equal to humanoid's HD + animal's HD.

Speeds: The resulting creature has all of the speeds that both the humanoid and animal had. If both creatures have a type of speed, the resulting creature uses the higher speed of the two.

Natural attacks: The resulting creature gains all of the natural attacks of the animal, sized for a creature of its size.

Special Attacks: The resulting creature has the special attacks of the humanoid, and all special extraordinary attacks of the animal.

Special Qualities: The resulting creature has the special qualities of the humanoid, and all special extraordinary qualities of the animal.

Skills: When it comes to skill bonuses, use the higher of the humanoid's and animal's bonuses.

Abilities: Use the higher of the two's(humanoid's and animal's) when it comes to determining the resulting creature's ability scores.

CR: The resulting creature's CR is Humanoid's CR + Animal's CR if Animal was of Animal type, and Humanoid's CR + Animal's CR + 1 if the Animal's type was Magical Beast.

LA: The resulting creature's LA is Humanoid's LA + Animal's LA + 1 if Animal was of Animal type, and Humanoid's LA + Animal's LA + 2 if the Animal's type was Magical Beast.

How's this?

flabort
2011-09-16, 07:43 PM
Hmm... Minotaur is monstrous Humanoid already, can't apply the template to that... Hey, a gnoll is humanoid... Lets see... yes, it has more than one... yes, that will work well... Hmm, and a Hydra's key feature is neither a special quality, nor a special attack, and neither Ex or Su. Excellent.

Oh! Sorry, ignore the small gray text mumbling. What would happen if I selected the 12-headed Hydra to be the Magical Beast, and a Gnoll as the Humanoid? There's 14 HD between the two of them, but no mention of what happens to HD in the template you just posted.

Also, you have an incomplete sentence as part of the last

Pyromancer999
2011-09-16, 07:50 PM
Hmm... Minotaur is monstrous Humanoid already, can't apply the template to that... Hey, a gnoll is humanoid... Lets see... yes, it has more than one... yes, that will work well... Hmm, and a Hydra's key feature is neither a special quality, nor a special attack, and neither Ex or Su. Excellent.

It seems you're ignoring the intended and only good use this template has: to make catgirls!

Oh! Sorry, ignore the small gray text mumbling. What would happen if I selected the 12-headed Hydra to be the Magical Beast, and a Gnoll as the Humanoid? There's 14 HD between the two of them, but no mention of what happens to HD in the template you just posted.

HD noted. Also, remember: made in five minutes.

Also, you have an incomplete sentence as part of the last

Where?

flabort
2011-09-16, 09:44 PM
It seems you're ignoring the intended and only good use this template has: to make catgirls!

HD noted. Also, remember: made in five minutes.

:smallbiggrin: Now what happens when the humanoid only has one or zero HD? :smalltongue:
Don't worry, I'm trying to be difficult (In a silly way). I'm well aware it could be higher quality if more time was spent. :smalltongue:

Do note the OP wants to avoid HD, though, so I'd subtract some HD from the sum. Humanoid + animal - 2?

Where?

CR: The resulting creature's CR is Humanoid's CR + Animal's CR if Animal was of Animal type, and Humanoid's CR + Animal's CR + 1

LA: The resulting creature's LA is Humanoid's LA + Animal's LA + 1 if Animal was of Animal type, and Humanoid's LA + Animal's LA + 2

You forgot "Otherwise". In both of those. Also, my comment was supposed to be horribly Ironic due to being an incomplete sentence.

Pyromancer999
2011-09-16, 10:20 PM
:smallbiggrin: Now what happens when the humanoid only has one or zero HD? :smalltongue:
Don't worry, I'm trying to be difficult (In a silly way). I'm well aware it could be higher quality if more time was spent. :smalltongue:

There's a reason there's an at least +1 LA. That's to account for the 0-1 HD races, and also to reflect the power-up this provides.

Do note the OP wants to avoid HD, though, so I'd subtract some HD from the sum. Humanoid + animal - 2?

Wants to avoid HD? Where?

You forgot "Otherwise". In both of those. Also, my comment was supposed to be horribly Ironic due to being an incomplete sentence.

I never forget words! Except for sometimes. And there's no otherwise needed. It just provides for the respective CR and LA modifications depending on type of the animal bit.

flabort
2011-09-17, 12:14 PM
At the bottom of his first post, he stated "If possible, lets try to avoid HD, unless absolutely necessary"

:smallconfused: "...And Humanoids LA + Animals LA +2..." When? When it's a magical beast? When it's the animal type (Can't be, because the other option is, but...)? When it's the Humanoid type?
That sentence would look better as "The resulting creature's LA is equal to the Humanoid's LA + the Animal's + 1, and an additional +1 if the animal is originally a Magical Beast", though. :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Pyromancer999
2011-09-17, 01:30 PM
At the bottom of his first post, he stated "If possible, lets try to avoid HD, unless absolutely necessary"

:smallconfused: "...And Humanoids LA + Animals LA +2..." When? When it's a magical beast? When it's the animal type (Can't be, because the other option is, but...)? When it's the Humanoid type?
That sentence would look better as "The resulting creature's LA is equal to the Humanoid's LA + the Animal's + 1, and an additional +1 if the animal is originally a Magical Beast", though. :smallwink: :smalltongue:

That's all true. Still, HD is hard to avoid, and is usually necesary for mutual understanding.

Getsugaru
2011-09-17, 09:21 PM
May have found an answer to my own question on the Anthropomorphic side, but the "Were" side is still unfilled. Please look over the find (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71532).

flabort
2011-09-18, 12:17 AM
with that template you found, my personal favorite MB is pretty sweet. This is what a 5-headed hydra looks like after going through that template:
(I tried to rewrite the special head loosing rules to be shorter, but say the same thing. I don't think it worked)
Size/type: Large Monstrous Humanoid (Augmented Magical Beast)
Hit Dice: 2d8+8 (17 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Speed 30', swim 20'
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), Touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+11
Attack: 5 bites +6 (1d8+5)
Full attack: 5 bites +6 (1d8+5) + wielded weapon(s)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Fast healing 15, Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +2, Swim +4
Feats: Combat Reflexes
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: usually neutral
Advancement: By Class level
Level Adjustment: +3

Languages: Common, Hydra. Bonus Language: Terran, Sylvan, Gnoll

Anthropomorphic hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge that round.

An anthropomorphic Hydra can be killed by either killing it's body, or cutting off all it's heads. To sever a head, an opponent must declare a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon, before making an attack roll, and then proceed to deal damage equal to one fifth the anthropomorphic hydra's normal hitpoint total. This sunder attack normally provokes an attack of opportunity, although a foe with Improved Sunder, or one who readies an action to attack when the anthropomorphic hydra bites at him does not. When a head is cut off, it deals damage to half the head's hp, or 1/10th the anthropomorphic hydra's normal hp total. The stump then seals itself to prevent further blood loss. The anthropomorphic hydra can no longer attack with that head, but takes no further penalties.

Each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. an anthropomorphic hydra may never have more than 10 heads at one time, and any beyond the original number of 5 wither and fall off within a day. To prevent this, 5 points of fire or acid damage must be dealt to the stump (Touch attack to hit) before the new heads appear. A flaming weapon (or similar effect) deals it's damage to the stumps automatically in the same hit that severs the heads. fire or acid damage from an area attack may burn multiple stumps in addition to hurting the anthropomorphic hydra's body. It does not die until all it's heads have been cut off, and seared by acid or fire.

Alternatively, the anthropomorphic hydra may be killed by dropping it to or below -10 hp, but because it possesses fast healing, this is difficult to do. Any attacks that is not (or cannot be) directed at a head affects it's body.

Targeted magical effects cannot sever it's heads (and must be directed at the body) unless they deal slashing damage and could be used to make sunder attempts.

Fast healing (Ex)
Each round, an anthropomorphic hydra heals 15 damage to itself.

Skills:
Anthropomorphic 5-headed Hydra's have a +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks, and a +4 racial bonus on any swim checks to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can always choose to take 10 on a swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Obviously a 12-headed hydra would be stronger, and nicer, but would have a higher CR/LA.
This only has 2 HD + 3 LA, or ECL 5, which is lower than it's CR 7, making it nicer for players than DMs. :smallamused: Sure, only 3 hp to slice off a head, but once you start taking class levels, that goes up. I'm going to pester every DM I can to see if I can have this as my race.

It might get lumped with the other cheese, though. I think it's a nice smoked white cheddar. Much better than that Pun-Pun limburger. :smallwink:

Pyromancer999
2011-09-18, 12:32 AM
with that template you found, my personal favorite MB is pretty sweet. This is what a 5-headed hydra looks like after going through that template:
(I tried to rewrite the special head loosing rules to be shorter, but say the same thing. I don't think it worked)
Size/type: Large Monstrous Humanoid (Augmented Magical Beast)
Hit Dice: 2d8+8 (17 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Speed 30', swim 20'
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), Touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+11
Attack: 5 bites +6 (1d8+5)
Full attack: 5 bites +6 (1d8+5) + wielded weapon(s)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Fast healing 15, Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +2, Swim +4
Feats: Combat Reflexes
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: usually neutral
Advancement: By Class level
Level Adjustment: +3

Languages: Common, Hydra. Bonus Language: Terran, Sylvan, Gnoll

Anthropomorphic hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge that round.

An anthropomorphic Hydra can be killed by either killing it's body, or cutting off all it's heads. To sever a head, an opponent must declare a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon, before making an attack roll, and then proceed to deal damage equal to one fifth the anthropomorphic hydra's normal hitpoint total. This sunder attack normally provokes an attack of opportunity, although a foe with Improved Sunder, or one who readies an action to attack when the anthropomorphic hydra bites at him does not. When a head is cut off, it deals damage to half the head's hp, or 1/10th the anthropomorphic hydra's normal hp total. The stump then seals itself to prevent further blood loss. The anthropomorphic hydra can no longer attack with that head, but takes no further penalties.

Each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. an anthropomorphic hydra may never have more than 10 heads at one time, and any beyond the original number of 5 wither and fall off within a day. To prevent this, 5 points of fire or acid damage must be dealt to the stump (Touch attack to hit) before the new heads appear. A flaming weapon (or similar effect) deals it's damage to the stumps automatically in the same hit that severs the heads. fire or acid damage from an area attack may burn multiple stumps in addition to hurting the anthropomorphic hydra's body. It does not die until all it's heads have been cut off, and seared by acid or fire.

Alternatively, the anthropomorphic hydra may be killed by dropping it to or below -10 hp, but because it possesses fast healing, this is difficult to do. Any attacks that is not (or cannot be) directed at a head affects it's body.

Targeted magical effects cannot sever it's heads (and must be directed at the body) unless they deal slashing damage and could be used to make sunder attempts.

Fast healing (Ex)
Each round, an anthropomorphic hydra heals 15 damage to itself.

Skills:
Anthropomorphic 5-headed Hydra's have a +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks, and a +4 racial bonus on any swim checks to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can always choose to take 10 on a swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Obviously a 12-headed hydra would be stronger, and nicer, but would have a higher CR/LA.
This only has 2 HD + 3 LA, or ECL 5, which is lower than it's CR 7, making it nicer for players than DMs. :smallamused: Sure, only 3 hp to slice off a head, but once you start taking class levels, that goes up. I'm going to pester every DM I can to see if I can have this as my race.

It might get lumped with the other cheese, though. I think it's a nice smoked white cheddar. Much better than that Pun-Pun limburger. :smallwink:

This makes me think that I'm not getting my intended point across. Perhaps I should change the CR and LA to read equal to "resulting creature's HD", instead of x+y. Which would probably result in the LA for your creature being 7 or so.

flabort
2011-09-18, 12:44 AM
Oh, sorry pyromancer.
I meant the template in the link the OP just posted.

Not your combination template, although it's pretty cool.

So if I used the gnoll/hydra combo on your template, the CR would be ~8 right now, and LA -. But with the template the OP found, which only takes one creature into account, the CR is 7.