PDA

View Full Version : New group and new character

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-16, 06:58 PM
I finally managed to get a D&D group in my college and our first session is going to be this Sunday. So far the Dm has only said the game will start at level 1 and we will make the characters on the first session.

Despite that I want to be have at least the general idea for the character and since I don't know the optimization level or even the party composition I want to make a character that can work at any given level of optimization.

For some reason my thoughts went to the King of Smack, a build that in my opinion covers my intentions as due the modular nature of it's core powers (Claws of the Beast and Expansion) I can use it to their fullest extent if needed or be more conservative with them just enough to be effective.

The problem is that I am not sure how effective it will be from level 1 as I would be really starved for Power points and out of combat utility, so I am considering starting with a ranger level for skill points, BAB, proficiencies and track feat (for eventual multiclassing into Slayer) before hopping into Psychic warrior; but I am not sure if that is the best idea.

Another thing, I don't know what book the DM will allow (though I have access to most 3.5 books and even some Dragon Magazines) so I would also like to have another option; but I haven't thought much about it.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-16, 07:01 PM
Try to find out the details of the characters in the last campaign they played, and find out what books are allowed. Also try to find out what they're thinking of this campaign. When in doubt, play a bard or buffer caster.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-16, 07:06 PM
The thing is that we are a brand new group, we met through D&D México facebook group so I can't really now what do they expect.

Right now I am assuming all books are allowed as the DM asked to bring all books we had/could; but since Psionics (along with ToB and MoI) are the first books to be kneejerked banned.

hex0
2011-09-16, 07:16 PM
When in doubt, Ranger 1 always seems like a good place to start if you HAVE to start from level 1. You get middle HP, +1 BAB, two good saves, (6+int) x4 skills from one of the best skill lists, your WIS is probably decent so ALL your saves are covered.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-16, 07:20 PM
Ok a vote for Ranger 1, I agree that is a great way to start builds

Ernir
2011-09-16, 07:22 PM
I'd take a tier 1-2 class if I didn't know the optimization level. Like a Sorcerer, who can do anything from "I cast Fireball again!" to "Yo dawg, I heard you like Arcane Fusion...".

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-16, 07:26 PM
I am wary of level 1 casters, but I will consider it.

Alabenson
2011-09-16, 07:26 PM
I'd take a tier 1-2 class if I didn't know the optimization level. Like a Sorcerer, who can do anything from "I cast Fireball again!" to "Yo dawg, I heard you like Arcane Fusion...".

I was going to make a similar suggestion to this, but I'd go with wizard rather than sorcerer, since a wizard can alter their spell selection, and thus most of their optimization level, on a daily basis.

hex0
2011-09-16, 07:33 PM
I am wary of level 1 casters, but I will consider it.

You should be...Your spells run out quick. On the other hand Duskblades don't know many spells but have a fair amount to use early on. (and a decent frame)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-17, 09:44 AM
Does anyone else have a anything else to say? I am still not really sure if going my original plan is the best idea.

DrMike105
2011-09-17, 09:54 AM
I'm also voting for Ranger 1. It allows a nice segue into almost any non-full-caster role (melee, ranged, skilled, whatever). It even gives the requisite weapon proficiencies for most gish builds. Hard to go wrong.

BlueInc
2011-09-17, 05:23 PM
Druid 1 is powerful and core - pick up a wolf or riding dog, Entangle, and Cure Light Wounds; you'll go a long way towards protecting your party. If your party needs you, blow all your resources and save the day; if not, back off and let other people shine.

Thespianus
2011-09-18, 02:00 AM
What about an entry level Sorcadin? If you begin as a Paladin of Freedom at level 1, you can hold your own and help out a little. Then, when you know what the op-level is, you can swap over to Sorcerer and surprize everyone. ;)

Other than that, I agree with Druid 1 being a great "When in doubt"-start.

Legendairy
2011-09-18, 12:45 PM
Artificer? You have a solid Tier 1 with many options, and you can dumb down the power level a bit and just buff or if the group does end up very OP, you have the option to do the crazy dual wand blasting, and have a staff of "Look at all the meta-magic I can pour into one item...muahahaha". Or something like that.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-18, 12:51 PM
Not sure if artificer is a good idea, for start I don't know if it will be allowed and too it is too complex and I don't want to have to deal with all the book keeping.

The more I think it I am inclining more to start as a ranger and then see see if I go into Psionics or something else...