PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Themed Sorcerer (Pathfinder)

togapika
2011-09-16, 11:16 PM
So I'm building a sorcerer with the Marid bloodline from Ultimate Magic, and my DM is letting me spend a feat to get a familiar so I can have a parrot familiar. I'm looking for more ways to make him pirate themed without sacrificing power.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-16, 11:32 PM
Be on a boat always. Otherwise, how are you a pirate?

deuxhero
2011-09-16, 11:42 PM
and my DM is letting me spend a feat to get a familiar so I can have a parrot familiar.

Do PF Sorcs not get one by default?

As for pirateyness, fireball+wooden ship/sail=fun (Fun?).

togapika
2011-09-16, 11:50 PM
Do PF Sorcs not get one by default?

Only if they take a specific bloodline :(

elvengunner69
2011-09-16, 11:58 PM
Shouldn't a pirate really just be a rogue/thief that likes longer swords and lives on a boat?

Blisstake
2011-09-16, 11:58 PM
Craft Wondrous Item to make magic peg-legs and eye patches.

Edit:
Shouldn't a pirate really just be a rogue/thief that likes longer swords and lives on a boat?

Sure, if you aren't very creative. He isn't going for a historically accurate pirate or anything.

togapika
2011-09-17, 12:10 AM
Sure, if you aren't very creative. He isn't going for a historically accurate pirate or anything.

Exactly! Mayhaps a magic eye patch that lets me see fine along with darkvision or something

Stone Heart
2011-09-17, 12:23 AM
I would advise carrying a pistol even if you never use it, you can fluff yourself as using the gun to aim your spells without actually using it. You might also consider using the pistol.

It could also be a good way of tricking people, they might think your spells come from the gun, and try to disarm you, oh look even without it bam they just got blasted.

togapika
2011-09-17, 12:27 AM
No guns in the game... Might wear some type of saber or something just for the look, even if I don't use it.

ZombiePunch
2011-09-17, 12:33 AM
Make it a wand? Could be magic missile or scorching ray?
Are 3.5 feats allowed? Ship's mage Stormwrack pg. 93

Inferno
2011-09-17, 01:33 AM
Don't forget a hat, the bigger and more ridiculously plumed the better.

Togath
2011-09-17, 02:07 AM
A head slot item refluffed as a magic bandana, maybe some sort of magic cutlass, I think there's also a magic eyepatch in MiC that gives either see invisibility or darkvision, depending on which eye you put it over, if your dm allows 3.5 it may be a good item to try to obtain.

Starbuck_II
2011-09-17, 01:29 PM
No guns in the game... Might wear some type of saber or something just for the look, even if I don't use it.

When you say Pirate?
Do you mean pirate speaking?
Perferring rum to tea?
Believing, "i don't think rules should apply to me. i am constantly breaking them/asking people to bend them for me. "
"high affinity for danger/risk. hate feeling safe or comfortable"
"Long coats: I feel like a confident, appealing pirate in a long coat"
A big hat?
Knowing secrets about things--drinking in dives--take all you can, give nothing back!
love of the ocean?

Sing this song lately?
http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nfld/10/pirate.htm

Lord.Sorasen
2011-09-17, 03:47 PM
Be on a boat always. Otherwise, how are you a pirate?

Would your DM let you refluff the mount spell to summon a large land-boat?

How serious is your campaign going to be? Because one simple idea is to tell people that you're a pirate who focuses on the Arghcane. That's the most terrible idea I can think of.

I feel like a majority of your flavor is going to come directly from your roleplaying.

BlueInc
2011-09-17, 05:32 PM
1. Profession (Pirate).

2. Perform (Drunken Sing-Along).

3. Give people pieces of paper with color-coded messages.
-Black means you're going to kill them.
-Red means you love them.
-White means you have a business proposition for them.
-Green means you think someone is following them.
-Half red and half white is for...certain ladies of the night.
-Etc.

4. Subscribe to an obscure set of rules guidelines.

5. Spiked gauntlet refluffed as hook hand.

togapika
2011-09-17, 05:48 PM
"high affinity for danger/risk. hate feeling safe or comfortable"
"Long coats: I feel like a confident, appealing pirate in a long coat"
A big hat?
Knowing secrets about things--drinking in dives--take all you can, give nothing back!
love of the ocean?

Stuff like this.

Randomguy
2011-09-17, 05:49 PM
See if you can get a ring of water walking or water breathing re-fluffed as an earring, since pirates believed earrings would stop them from drowning, or something like that.

Get a treasure chest of holding.

Get a long, thin iron barrel, put it on wheels, fill it with cannonballs and get a ring of telekinesis to launch them.

For practicality if you actually ARE a pirate, than stay away from ship-unfriendly spells like fireball and get spells that control the weather, like obscuring mist.

Togath
2011-09-17, 07:30 PM
There actually is a treasure chest of holding in the arms & equipment guide, hold 1 ton/2000lb of items if I remember right, might have been less(I can't remember the exact amount), but it was still pretty good for carrying things.

Talya
2011-09-19, 06:10 AM
Arrrr. What ye be needin' is two magic eyepatches. Then ye describe yer familiar as a "Seeing Eye Parrot," savvy?

Doorhandle
2011-09-19, 07:45 AM
Make them opaque on one side and transparent on the eye side.

"Yes, well, I'm not actually blind... or left handed."