PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Synthesist Monk Build taking advantage of Feral Combat Training.. Thoughts?

Dakaar
2011-09-17, 12:20 AM
Hey Folks, worked up a rough draft of a character. The only for-sure gear would be an amulet of the mighty fists to make a natural attack stronger.
Half elf (for extra 1/4 evolution per level)

Synthesist 8
Flowing Monk 2 http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/f

Monk1/Syn/Monk/SynX

7str (-1)
7dex (-1)
11con (-1)
20wis (+1)
15cha (+1)
13int (+1)

Half elf: +2 evolution points
Level based stat increases: wis, wis

Level 1: Monk1:
Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Redirection

Level 2: Synthesist1:
Eidolon, Bipedal (for reach)

Level 3: Monk2:
Unbalancing Counter,Evasion, Feral Combat Training (bite)

level4-8: Synthesist2-6
Shielded Meld
Weapon Focus (bite)
Improved Natural Attack (bite)

Evolutions(13 points) (Level 6 synth):

Bite(1),Bite(1), Trip(2), Poison(2+2 [con dmg]), Improved Damage(1)(bite), Large(4)

eidolon Ability score increase to str

Stats:

Base Large Biped Synthesist Form:
28 str, 13dex, 17 con, 14int, 23wis,16cha

AC: -1 Size,+6wis,+8 natural eidolon,1dex = 24AC naked unbuffed

BAB: +7

Attack Routine:

Flurry: +16/+16/+11

Bite Damage:
2d8+14 when large

Attack Routine with Enlarge Person:

Flurry:
15/15/10
4d6+15 when enlarge person'd

Combat:

up to 3 free Trips a round, CMB on trip: 18.
poison on each hit: DC 16 1d4 con damage (probably should work on getting better eidolon con here for this)

When missed in combat, make a free trip attack at +2 CMB
When making an AOO, enemies are flat footed when hit: Reflex DC 20 to negate

Since there is only 1 natural attack, can spend evo points from here on out maximizing stats and damage on the one attack

XenoGeno
2011-09-17, 01:25 AM
Now to start, I'm no expert, so I may be wrong about a few things.

Level 8

Summoner Synthesist 5
Flowing Monk 2

...Where's the missing level?

Biped Form:

+6 nat ac
2str,1 con from ability increase
increase wisdom to 22 from levelup/cha 17?
+6 ac from monk
attack routine of (base) +4/+4/-1 for bites

Okay, a couple of problems. One, the eidolon doesn't get +6 natural armor bonus until level 7. Two, a monk can't flurry with natural weapons, only unarmed strike and monk weapons. Three, natural attacks don't have iterative attacks. They can each be used once in a full attack routine. If you want multiple bite attacks, you're going to have to spend evolution points on multiple heads, and a bite attack for each. Which brings me to...

Eidolon Stats(9 pts):
Large(4), Trip(2),Bite (again),Poison(bite)
At level 5, you only have 8 points. I'm going to assume you meant level 6 earlier. You still face problems in that Large and Poison are unavailable, you would need to be 8 and 7, respectively. If you want this idea to work, you should take the quadruped form, and pounce, trip, head x2, bite x2. It'll get you three attacks at the end of the charge, and you can trip, but I don't know if it'll be very effective. If you just like the idea of a monk/synthesist multiclass, I would take the quadruped form, and spend points on pounce, flight, energy attacks, and then the last four points on various stat boosts. If your GM is insistent on using the FAQ, then you'll need the arms evolution for spell-casting, but it's not strictly RAW, so you can probably get away with it.

For the record, I'm not very familiar with Pathfinder outside of the summoner class, so I can't really comment on the monk or feat stuff. Sorry.

Dakaar
2011-09-17, 10:16 AM
Yeah Sorry X) I posted that kinda late. Will try to fix it up.. I'm guess the experiment is to see if a 2 level monk dip makes a "chomper" build significantly stronger.

Im gonna assume that a Synthesist dip/Paladin X with smite and some extra attacks probably does significantly better.

9mm
2011-09-17, 10:50 AM
Yeah Sorry X) I posted that kinda late. Will try to fix it up.. I'm guess the experiment is to see if a 2 level monk dip makes a "chomper" build significantly stronger.

Im gonna assume that a Synthesist dip/Paladin X with smite and some extra attacks probably does significantly better.

Paladin 2 is pretty much the only synthesis dip that is considered "worth it" at the moment.

Dakaar
2011-09-17, 11:05 AM
Fixed my original post, need to get more attacks blag

Dakaar
2011-09-17, 11:08 AM
Paladin 2 is pretty much the only synthesis dip that is considered "worth it" at the moment.

What sort of eidolon build would you use with this?

9mm
2011-09-17, 02:29 PM
What sort of eidolon build would you use with this?

Any will work, but probably pouncer, as the main benefit is adding your casting stat to damage, then boosting your saves and some extra healing.