PDA

View Full Version : Need deity titles/nicknames

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-17, 12:31 AM
Starting my own pantheon, and looking for titles or alternate names of the deities for the different people of my world. Deities are:

Svidi - LG - Goddess of Honor and Justice - The Crusader, The Seraphim
Raki - NG - God of Healing - The Healer
Thorngrin - NG - Goddess of the Forests - Earth-mother, Lifegiver
Tolinn - CG - God of Songs and Poetry - Wandering Minstrel
Asti - LN - Goddess of Wisdom - ?
Simdar - LN - God of Knowledge - The Sage, Learned One
Thurid - TN - God of the Elements - Uncaring One, Master of Elements
Ratald - CN - God of Strength - The Brute, The Warrior
Hotra - LE - God of Darkness - The Shadow, Dark One
Vari - NE - Goddess of Secrets - Hidden One
Kroa - CE - God of Death and Slaughter - Undead Master

Mando Knight
2011-09-17, 12:38 AM
Seraphim is plural. You're probably looking for Seraph.

For Asti, perhaps The Oracle?

Malimar
2011-09-17, 12:51 AM
Seraphim is plural. You're probably looking for Seraph.

Unless you're using the pluralis excellentiae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluralis_excellentiae), which is a perfectly legitimate technique so long as you understand what it means.

It's a Hebrew word, so Hebrew grammar is appropriate, and the pluralis excellentiae is most commonly used to describe gods and legendary creatures. Presumably a goddess has the power of many angels, so it doesn't necessarily even make sense to describe her as just one angel.

Cespenar
2011-09-17, 12:53 AM
Trying to go with your theme, an obvious one for Asti would be The Mother/The Grandmother. And a second title, the Old One.

Concentrating on the other one titled gods:

Raki: The Preserver
Vari: The Mist
Tolinn: The Muse
Kroa: The Bloody One

GenericGuy
2011-09-17, 01:06 AM
Some alternate views of your Gods.

Svidi-LG-Goddess of Honor and Justice: the tyrant, the arrogant (typical complaints about lawful good)

Raki-NG- God of Healing: Coddler of the weak ( if you’re not strong enough to survive without magic healing what good are you?/anti magic warrior)

Thornign-NG- Goddess of the Forests- the forgotten god, the useless, the unworshiped ( maybe as civilization and technology progresses and needs more resources from nature, they begin to see her no longer as something worthy of reverence, but a tool. Think Holo from Spice and Wolf)

Tolinn-CG: the frivolous, the lay about, the privileged one (people have to work for their livelihood!)

Asti - LN – Goddess of Wisdom –The puzzle master?

Simdar - LN - God of Knowledge- the elitist, the noble lover (education was the luxury of the rich and noble, many peasants may resent the god who keeps them low on the societal totem pole.

Thurid - TN - God of the Elements-The uncaring, the cruel, the taskmaster (ancient people were pretty much at the mercy of nature and the elements, many would resent a god that gives them floods, fires, famine, and earthquakes or maybe see him as a teacher giving them challenges to overcome)

Ratald - CN - God of Strength - The Savage, the uncouth, the bully

Hotra - LE – God of Darkness-That which covers all (we live on a small marble in a sea of infinite black and darkness)

Vari - NE –Goddess of Secrets- the cowardly (who uses trickery and secrets to win battles?/ typical warrior statement), the deceiver, She who plays in the Dark, the Unseen one

Kroa - CE - God of Death and Slaughter – He who gives lasting peace, the fair judge (death comes to all, the rich and the poor, the victor eventually and the loser immediately. Death is part of life after all)

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-17, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. All of them are good (even if I don't necessarily use them). Especially GenericGuy, I hadn't considered how they would be referred to by those that oppose them.

As for Asti, I was playing with The Oracle before, but didn't think it fit for her. She is viewed as the first monk, so it would be more of She of the Enlightened Fist.

As for Svidi, she is more reluctant to take any life, since the story behind it is she killed Kroa (whose anger caused him to rise again in skeletal form).

As for Tolinn, muse usually refers to a female, and he'd be more of a beggar than a layabout.

akma
2011-09-17, 07:32 AM
Some notes about using the word Seraphim: not only it is plural, it is plural male. For single female archangel, it will be seraphit. In plural form, it will be seraphiyot. And if you want to go hebrew all the way, replace the with ha. So she could be nicknamed ha-seraphiyot.

As for nicknames:
Asti, godess of wisdom - she who understands.
Vari, godess of sectrets - she who knows, the listener in the dark.
Thurid, god of the elemants - master of four (if you use the 4 classical elemants, which I hope you don`t).

INDYSTAR188
2011-09-17, 10:10 AM
I'm in a Classic Mythology class in college right now and if you were to look up the Homeric Hymn to Demeter you might see a lot of really cool epitaphs the Ancients used for the Olympian gods. I'll try to throw a couple onto your deities as appropriate.

Thorngrin - *Giver of Bountiful Harvests*, *Bringer of Seasons*
Asti - *Lady Mother*
Thurid - *Thundering All Seeing*
Ratald - *He Who Smashes Armies*
Hotra - *He Who Holds Rule Over Many*
Vari - *The Mother Who's Decisions Cannot Be Altered*
Kroa - *The Host of Many*

There are, of course, many many more but these are the one's that come to mind that might be applied here. I hope that helps!

Infernalbargain
2011-09-18, 02:05 AM
Starting my own pantheon, and looking for titles or alternate names of the deities for the different people of my world. Deities are:

Svidi - The Law
Raki - The Rejuvenation
Thorngrin - The Endurance
Tolinn - The Muse
Asti - The Inspiration
Simdar - The Source
Thurid - The Foundation
Ratald - The Champion
Hotra - The Curtain
Vari - The Silence
Kroa - The Loss

I aimed for viewing them in terms of their manifestations.

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-18, 05:16 AM
Perhaps if I give descriptions of how they are most commonly viewed it will help others generate names.

Svidi - This female appears of young age with long golden hair. She wears plate armor of gold with six golden wings coming from the back of it. On her right arm is a large shield with a symbol of scales on it. At her left hip, her sword is chained to its sheath. On her head sits a helm that only covers her eyes and the top of the head, with small wings on the top (for those that saw digimon, something akin to what angewomon had).

Raki - This man looks a bit older as he walks with his heavier armor. On his back sits his shield with a symbol of a chalice, and a mace at his hip. His hands hold a golden chalice, laced with gems, and constantly full of water. Those who drink from this chalice are healed of any affliction.

Thorngrin - Dressed in leathers, this elf is the pinnacle of beauty. Her bow is slung across her back with a quiver full of arrows. Her body is lithe, favoring agility over strength or stamina. At her side sits her trusted bear.

Tolinn - This halfling has a smile on his face, a lute in hand, and a song in his heart. His trusty rapier sits at his side, but he would rather sway his enemy with words and song than with his foil.

Asti - This human woman looks to be in the middle of her years, but her wisdom is that of the eldest elves. She keeps her hair short, and wears only tricivara or habit robes and a rope for a belt. She has no weapons and only a waterskin for possessions.

Simdar - This dwarf proudly portrays his gray beard and balding head. He wears robes of white with an image of an open book on the front. His trusty staff serves as his walking stick as he holds a book or two in his other hand.

Thurid - This human holds no emotions on his face. He wears brown robes with no symbols or embroidery on them. In his hand is his trusted spear, and at his call are the elements.

Ratald - This orc is a paragon of his species. He is tall, strong, and scarred all over his body. He wears only the minimum of cloth, and holds his might axe, the head of a boulder and shaft of a tree.

Hotra - This robed figure looks to be of a similar build to that of a human. He is known to have a morningstar, but it seems to be produced from nowhere. Other than that, not much is known of his appearance.

Vari - This gnome a playful smirk on her face. She keeps her dagger at her side, but prefers to trick her opponents through illusions and misleading.

Kroa - This is a unique god. His body is that of a more feral humanoid, such as an orc or a troll, but due to his skeletal framework it is hard to tell what he once was. His tattered remains of his armor cover little of his body, and in his hands is his scythe of bone.

Bonus if you can guess what classes each are (most should be easy).

Xuc Xac
2011-09-18, 05:16 AM
I'm in a Classic Mythology class in college right now and if you were to look up the Homeric Hymn to Demeter you might see a lot of really cool epitaphs the Ancients used for the Olympian gods.

The Olympians are a great example of how to give fantasy gods some depth and personality. Too many fantasy settings have these bland gods that are basically just a name and a cleric spell domain or two.

Poseidon isn't just "the God of the Sea, worshiped by sailors and ignored by everyone who isn't on a boat". He's the god of the sea, and horses, and earthquakes, and everything else big and powerful that rumbles when it moves. In a modern setting, he'd probably be the god of diesel earth-moving equipment and rock & roll drummers.

Speaking of music, Apollo is the god of music. He's also the god of healing. And the god of plagues. And the sun. And prophecy. And archery. Apollo has a lot of hobbies.

Hermes is the god of messengers, wanderers, homeless bums, and thieves as well as the guards who watch for them. He's also the god of magic and alchemy. He's the god of adventurers in general and rogues and mages in particular.

Compared to that "god of healing" or "god of war" just seems kind of bland and one-dimensional. Spread those domains around a bit and don't worry too much about carefully sorting them according to the Dewey Decimal System.

tribble
2011-09-18, 11:42 PM

Asti could be made into a god of light as well. I think the celts had a god of light and wisdom, but if they didn't it works well. Call her the lightbringer. Kroa could be named the butcher, the devourer, something like that. Tolinn could be called the wanderer. Raki could be made into a goddess of motherhood as well, with the whole nurturing thing, call her the mother. Vari or Simdar could be called the keeper.

deuxhero
2011-09-19, 12:19 AM
Why does Vari have a known name?

GoblinArchmage
2011-09-19, 02:05 AM
Raki: The Grail Bearer

Asti: The Enlightened One. I was also going to suggest "The Sage," but Simdar already has that.

Hotra: The Blind Man

Vari: The Hoarder of Arcana, Lady of the Lost

Kroa: The Harvester/The Farmer (less obvious than "The Reaper"), The Slayer, The Corpse, The Antithesis of Thorngrin