PDA

View Full Version : Referring to the ad banners (Forum rules question)

Bucky
2011-09-17, 01:38 AM
The forum rules on advertising do not seem to address the new ads on the site. It's possible to echo the smaller adbox in a forum post by linking to the same host server:

(IMG)http://www.projectwonderful.com/nojs.php?id=58283&type=1 (/IMG) (replacing the (s with [s)
If you include this in your post, it will update itself whenever the ad banner changes.

Doing so appears to conform to all the forum rules... at least right now. However, the current rules do not handle dynamic content well because the ad may change at some time after you make your post, to something inappropriate.

Would posting the linked image, as an image rather than a link, violate the forum rules? Again, please note that this image will always be one that is displayed somewhere else on the page.

Worira
2011-09-17, 02:21 AM
I would think the dynamic content wouldn't really be a problem here, since any potential inappropriate content would be removed as quickly as possible and would be visible to users anyway. That said, I'm not a mod, and I may be completely wrong.

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-17, 06:00 AM
I can't see any reason why you would actually do that, though. :smallconfused:

Elder Tsofu
2011-09-17, 06:13 AM
Please Don't
These are offenses that will not typically result in an Infraction or banning upon the first offense, thus being issued as Warnings. However, repeated or flagrant violations will eventually result in an Infraction. In some cases a Mod may edit a post or post an in thread message saying "Please don't do that," or (more likely) issue you a Warning under the "Please Don't" category. Please Don't offenses have a 3-month expiration, and are worth 25 points when issued as an Infraction.

Posting Oversized Images
Giant pictures that stretch the screen are a bane to people trying to read the boards. Please link to files larger than 400pixels wide, or 500kb, rather than coding them into the post. You may also post images that exceed the width limit under a Spoiler tag along with a note that it is a large image. Please note that images under spoilers still load every time someone views the thread, so large file sizes are still a concern.

Posting Copyrighted Content
Posting any copyrighted material without permission of the copyright holder is against the rules. Likewise, please do not link to copyrighted material being hosted elsewhere without the rights-holder's permission. Posts containing such content will be edited to remove that content. In particular, posts containing copyrighted material from game books that are not designated Open Gaming Content (OGC) will be edited to remove the copyrighted portions. As an example, mentioning a specific rule item or general mechanic, or explaining in general how it functions, does not violate this rule. However, posting an entire stat block for a monster or an entire character class would. OGC is published under the Open Gaming License. OGC may be reproduced in full, as per the terms of that license. Please keep in mind that material under the d20 License may not be OGC. When in doubt, refer to the primary source to see if there is a copy of the OGL included. Note that any content in the System Reference Document (SRD) can be reproduced as well.

Just posting some bits from the rules that might be seen as relevant.

NerfTW
2011-09-17, 11:50 AM
Why would you even feel the need to do that in the first place, though?

Second, the answer is pretty obvious. You are not a paying advertiser. You have to follow the rules as laid out still, regardless of the presences of the ad banner above. The ad banners do not suddenly allow you to make an exception to the rules on dynamic images or posting links to commercial sites. The biggest reason would be that you would then be able to not only continue advertising a site that's no longer paying, you could also be hosting those dynamic images on another server that has whatever you want on it. It would require the mods to personally check every post you make like that.

Eloel
2011-09-17, 03:02 PM
Why would you even feel the need to do that in the first place, though?

Second, the answer is pretty obvious. You are not a paying advertiser. You have to follow the rules as laid out still, regardless of the presences of the ad banner above. The ad banners do not suddenly allow you to make an exception to the rules on dynamic images or posting links to commercial sites. The biggest reason would be that you would then be able to not only continue advertising a site that's no longer paying, you could also be hosting those dynamic images on another server that has whatever you want on it. It would require the mods to personally check every post you make like that.

As far as I'm aware, he's talking about putting the ad at the bottom of the site (and only that, as it is) into his signatures or posts or whatever. It'll be the exact same as that ad, so there isn't anything to be checked.

Still, no advice on my part though, this is strictly mod business.

The Giant
2011-09-18, 01:38 PM
Please do not do this. If Project Wonderful sees that my site is displaying the ad in more places than I added the proper code to, they may shut down my account while they figure out hat's going on. I appreciate the attempt to get more views for each ad, but I don't want to do anything that messes with their protocols and procedures.

Further, all message board rules for advertising in your signature still apply, same as always...even if that ad is the same one that is being put on the site elsewhere. The presence of a paying ad doesn't give anyone a pass to use their account for commercial advertising, even on behalf of another company.