PDA

View Full Version : A bard that plays with fire?

Accordion Twome
2011-09-17, 12:18 PM
Hello play-grounders
I'm Dming a group and one of them is wanting to become some kind of pyromancer but the thing is he is a 7 bard/2 dragon disciple.

So is there any thing that I can help him with?
like allowing him to get fire spells or give him some dynamite?

Thanks for the advice:smallsmile:.

Coidzor
2011-09-17, 12:24 PM
Well, for his 11th level he can probably take sublime chord and get access to 4th level bard and 4th level sorc/wizard spells, which would afford some fire spells of one sort or another.

Bards don't really get the spell slots for blasting things with fire though... :/

I believe the Frostburn supplement (AKA It's COLD Outside) has the Stormsinger Prestige Class which lets one let fly with bardic music created lightning blasts that deal damage based on the perform check. If you have access you might consider adapting that to something more fiery. The pryokineticist may be of interest to him if you allow spellcasting to count for the pre-reqs, but isn't that great beyond the dip for a touch-attack fire whip for a melee type.

Talya
2011-09-17, 12:26 PM
Skip dragon disciple, and instead go with the Dragonfire Inspiration feat, which lets you grant your inspire courage bonus as +Xd6 fire damage for the whole party. Hell, become dragonborn if you still want the dragon flavor...that gives you dragonblooded for free...

Inferno
2011-09-17, 01:15 PM
Have your player take a look at Dragonfire Adept if class changing is possible.

But as you sounded like this is an already made (and I assume in play) character, Pyrokineticist should be easy enough to qualify for with a dip in Wilder or something. I like the image of a slightly draconic bard Wild Surging and burning things with control flames.
Not optimal by any means, but cool.:smallcool:

Flickerdart
2011-09-17, 01:24 PM
I second Sublime Chord, if only for Flame Whips (SpC): your hands turn into whips, and each is a touch attack for 6d6 fire damage, plus however many d6es your Dragonfire Inspiration adds.

flabort
2011-09-17, 05:48 PM
In addition to using the Perform skill, you can entertain people with sleight of hand, tumbling, tightrope walking, and spells (especially illusions).
Emphasis mine.

Not what you're looking for, but might this be why he's wanting to become some sort of Pyromaniac? I mean, Pyromancer?

It's too bad a Dragon Disciple's breath weapon is 1/day. I don't know what else he might like to take to give him real fire powers, but illusions can look like fire. And he's likely got those already, if he's a bard.

Unfortunately, lower level illusions don't deal actual damage. Not fire damage, nothing. Unless you metamagic it into an illusion-version of the Locate City Bomb (Which, as others have pointed out, doesn't work), which wouldn't get as much range as Locate City.

Bah, I'm not much help here. Or anywhere. Alchemists fire might be nice until he can get enough levels in whatever he chooses to be an effective pyromancer...

Randomguy
2011-09-17, 05:55 PM
Take the dragon breath feat and you can use your breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds. Your DM might rule that you need to actually be a full halfdragon though, instead of just having a once per day breath weapon. This only works if your breath weapon does fire damage, though.

Psyren
2011-09-17, 06:03 PM
Skip dragon disciple, and instead go with the Dragonfire Inspiration feat, which lets you grant your inspire courage bonus as +Xd6 fire damage for the whole party. Hell, become dragonborn if you still want the dragon flavor...that gives you dragonblooded for free...

This! You sing fire! What more could you want?

Randomguy
2011-09-17, 08:38 PM
If you take a level in seeker of the song, you get burning melody, which lets you spend one use of bardic music to shoot out a cone of flames and also gives your party fire resistance as long as you keep playing. It doesn't have spellcasting though.

You need to have heard a seeker of the song use his ability though, and have skill focus preform and a lot of ranks in knowledge (arcana).

There's also sublime chord. You learn 3 fourth level spells from the sorcerer list when you join the class and gain some lvl 4 spell slots, so you can pick fire orb or something, but it you need skill ranks in proffession (astrologer) and high ranks in listen, knowledge (arcana) and spellcraft.

CyMage
2011-09-17, 11:59 PM

+1 to this. Your medium of choice becomes fire...

hex0
2011-09-18, 03:42 PM
Why take Dragon Disciple when you can take the Draconic Heritage feats? Also, Elemenatal Savant.