PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Can a Centaur (synthesist) use a lance to make a charge as if he were mounted?

Dakaar
2011-09-17, 06:17 PM
As the title says,

Can a Bipedal creature with arms wielding a lance, make a "mounted charge" ?

I looked at the centaur entry and it didnt specifically say.

Infernalbargain
2011-09-17, 07:52 PM
Nope, you aren't mounted.

shadow_archmagi
2011-09-17, 07:55 PM
Nope, you aren't mounted.

He is if he is riding another centaur

Urpriest
2011-09-17, 08:00 PM
In 3.5, yes, centaurs deal double damage with a lance on a charge as if mounted, this is stated in their Combat entry. In Pathfinder you would have to check the updated statblock.

Coidzor
2011-09-17, 08:34 PM
As the title says,

Can a Bipedal creature with arms wielding a lance, make a "mounted charge" ?

I looked at the centaur entry and it didnt specifically say.

Centaurs are not bipedal. Bipedal means one has two legs. Centaurs are quadrupeds.

Bariaurs are explicitly called out as getting to make a mounted charge due to their centaur-like build, I had thought centaurs had a similar entry, but it's a very common house rule to fix that oversight if it was left out of the basic centaur but put in for the bariaur.

Dakaar
2011-09-17, 09:54 PM
Centaurs are not bipedal. Bipedal means one has two legs. Centaurs are quadrupeds.

Bariaurs are explicitly called out as getting to make a mounted charge due to their centaur-like build, I had thought centaurs had a similar entry, but it's a very common house rule to fix that oversight if it was left out of the basic centaur but put in for the bariaur.

Err yes. Sorry, Quadraped! Thanks. Yes its not in the centaur explicitly.

Runestar
2011-09-17, 10:10 PM
Races of faerun does state they can. Whether this rule is considered canon in Pathfinder...

MeeposFire
2011-09-17, 10:32 PM
If you are talking about making your eidolon to look like a centaur it won't work by RAW since centaurs only get mounted charging due to the description saying so. Even though it would make sense to allow mounted charging with a centaur looking eidolon by RAW it lacks that ability.

Dakaar
2011-09-17, 10:53 PM
Well OK, let me ask this then :)

I have a quadruped synthesist, with an extra pair of arms.

I have mounted combat, spirited charge.

How can I get this bonus -- can I mount something else?

Also, if I pounce, spirited charge says ".. with a melee weapon" so does that mean I dont do double damage on natural attacks?

shadow_archmagi
2011-09-17, 10:58 PM

Sure. Just ride a gryphon.

Runestar
2011-09-17, 11:43 PM

Also, if I pounce, spirited charge says ".. with a melee weapon" so does that mean I dont do double damage on natural attacks?

To be more specific, races of faerun states a centaur may take the spirited charge feat without having to meet the prereqs (so no need for mounted combat) and apply the feat's benefits to its own melee attacks. So this would allow it to charge and use spirited charge on its own natural attacks. :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2011-09-18, 09:06 AM

Natural Attacks are usually melee weapons: do you have ranged natural attacks?

grarrrg
2011-09-18, 09:34 AM
Is he a Centaur with levels in Summoner (Synth)?
Is he a _____ with levels in Summoner (Synth), and his Eidolon-Form is a Biped with Extra Legs?
Is he a _____ with levels in Summoner (Synth), and his Eidolon-Form is a Quadruped with Extra Arms?

First off, the Synthesist is a little broken (both the 'good' way AND the 'bad' way). What of 'you' still counts? What is replaced by the Eidolon-Form? Lot's of gray areas.

Secondly, going by implied RAW, if you are a Centaur with levels in Summoner, you would need to be at least level 8 before you could use your Eidolon-Form, as the Eidolon cannot be smaller than your base size, and a Centaur counts as Large for most purposes.