PDA

View Full Version : Drow Swordsage.

Umaril
2011-09-17, 06:17 PM
Can someone help me with fixing my character sheet, I'm not sure what my stats should be at for level 2 (not the level 2 that let's you pick stronger maneuvers). Also I'm using a newer character sheet version.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-17, 06:24 PM
I'm a bit confused on what you mean but I'll take a shot.

Minimum, your ECL (Effective Character Level) is 3. Level Adjustment 2 from Drow and 1 level of Swordsage. Your character cannnot be any lower than ECL 3.

Now, if your 2nd level Swordsage, then your ECL would be 4. Treat it just like you were a 2nd level Human Swordsage (but with Drow Racial Features).

I would definitely look into LA buy-off. It can be found in the SRD or Unearthed Arcana.

Jude_H
2011-09-17, 06:38 PM
Do you mean class level 2 or ECL 2?
Because there's no such thing as an ECL 2 Drow, unless you're using something funky like the Drow monster class, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) which might be a part of your confusion.

You should allocate stats according to the schools you want to specialize in. You should typically decide on schools based on concept.

Shadow Hand and Desert Wind are Wisdom-based.
Tiger Claw, Setting Sun, Diamond Mind and Stone Dragon are strength based.
Shadow Hand and Setting Sun have secondary dexterity focuses, which can also synergize with two-weapon Tiger Claw maneuvers.

Regardless of primary attribute, you should probably crank Constitution as high as possible. That will help the Swordsage's lowish HP and Fortitude saves (Drow LA and racial mods won't help either of those), as well as any Concentration checks made for Diamond Mind abilities.

Umaril
2011-09-17, 07:47 PM
Thanks I've been tring to make sense of The Tome of Battle but it just gives me headaches. Sorry I didn't post that clearer, my character's level is two but he's not a level 2 swordsage until level 32 according to The tome of battle. And my character has been missing a lot is that mostly unlucky roles, my stats not being right, or playing a swordsage in an older version of d&d? Thanks again.

Jude_H
2011-09-17, 07:58 PM
Sorry I didn't post that clearer, my character's level is two but he's not a level 2 swordsage until level 32 according to The tome of battle. And my character has been missing a lot is that mostly unlucky roles, my stats not being right, or playing a swordsage in an older version of d&d? Thanks again.
I don't understand this.

Could you post your build (classes/feats/maneuvers), stats and relevant gear?
You haven't told us anything yet, so it's really hard to say what the problem is.

elonin
2011-09-17, 08:24 PM
Thanks I've been tring to make sense of The Tome of Battle but it just gives me headaches. Sorry I didn't post that clearer, my character's level is two but he's not a level 2 swordsage until level 32 according to The tome of battle. And my character has been missing a lot is that mostly unlucky roles, my stats not being right, or playing a swordsage in an older version of d&d? Thanks again.

I'm right there with you. I don't have the book and what I've seen online is confusing.

Umaril
2011-09-17, 08:26 PM
Strength 13 mod 1
Dex 13 mod 1
Con 10 mod 0
Intelligence 12 mod 1
Wisdom 9 mod -1
Char 10 mod 0

Big Fau
2011-09-17, 08:28 PM
Strength 13 mod 1
Dex 13 mod 1
Con 10 mod 0
Intelligence 12 mod 1
Wisdom 9 mod -1
Char 10 mod 0

With stats like that, you really can't get away with Swordsage. Ask your DM for a reroll. According to the PHB, you are entitled to one due to low stats.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-17, 08:29 PM
Okay, I think I may know what he is trying to say...

At 2nd class level, he still only has access to 1st level maneuvers. He doesn't get access to 2nd level maneuvers and stances until he hits 3rd level, and he wants to know which maneuver and which stance to pick up.

However, if he wants to know what he might want to pick up, he might wish to provide such information as:

* What he is planning on doing with his character (flanking striker, denial of space, utility, boxman lite...)

* What he already has in the way of stances and maneuvers

* What his long-term plans are for the character

Quite bluntly, between the level adjustment and the abysmal stats (if you take those to mean after the Drow modifications), I don't have much hope for the character. But at least, being a swordsage, he's not completely hopeless.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-17, 08:30 PM

Wait what? Why do you have to take 30 levels of something else first?

Are you starting with two class levels, or is your Effective Character Level 2?

Umaril
2011-09-17, 08:42 PM
darn 4 page character sheet.

AC 14 leather armor = 10 plus 3 armor and 1 dex

total 1 2 3 4 ability magic misc
fort 0 0
reflex 3 2 1
will 1 2 -1

Weapon att bonus Damage crit range type size
2 handed scimitar) 1 1d10 18-20/x2 5 s/p L

for the next part it was easier to keep on a word document with the stat pluses and effects in it.

(Desert wind: Burning Blade: Boost---Deal extra 1d6 fire + 1/initiator level (1)
Distacting Ember: Boost--- Fire elemental appears, flanks enemy)
( Diamond Mind:)
(Setting sun: Mighty throw: Strike--- Throw enemy up to 10 ft.)(Step of the wind: Stance--- ignore difficult terrain, gain bonus against foes in such terrain
(Shadow hand: Clinging shadow strike: Stike---enemy suffers 20% miss on attacks (2)
Shadow blade Technique: Strike---Roll 2 attacks lower one deals bonus cold damage)(3)
(Stone dragon: Charging Minotaur: Strike--- charging bull rush, deals damage, oppertunity attacks ignored.)(4)

Umaril
2011-09-18, 02:50 PM
Sorry I was posting from my phone and it auto corrected I meant level 3 not 32.

Jude_H
2011-09-18, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't have high hopes for that character. Swordsages aren't the most robust; they don't deal with LA very well unless it comes with sizable con, dexterity or wisdom boosts. All of those are very low on your character.

It's surprising to me that you've played with the character enough to notice the low numbers, but that the character hasn't croaked in any fights yet.

If you want to keep this character alive, you might do well to get out of close combat, lurk around in shadows, and strike at things from a distance. Poisoned ranged attacks (darts, crossbow bolts) don't rely on your abilities for their DCs, so they could give you something useful to do until leveling up.

I'd suggest building toward Artificer. It's a class that doesn't rely on rolled stats, that can provide competent party support through its casting and which can build items to make your character more competent at any role that you might want to take.