PDA

View Full Version : Megadungeon Five (IC)

Malimar
2011-09-17, 09:26 PM
Travelling from far and wide for their own varying reasons, Tynd (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329600) (Tyndmyr), Ix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329277) (Varil), Xerxes Phivix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=328538) (Jinx1016), and Pierre de Frappé (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=328314) (Smokin Red) have found themselves in the great city of Endeesy. It can't compare in magnificence, wealth, or amenities to the other capitols of the world. It offers only two things: first, almost anyone can find a way to fit in in this city of misfits; and second, even keeping the king's peace is almost beyond the military's ability, so non-violent offenses that might be crimes in other nations are overlooked here. So Endeesy, like its predecessor the Disreputable City, has naturally become a hub for pirates, smugglers, and adventurers alike.

But Endeesy has even more to offer than even the Disreputable City did in its heyday, for the lands north of the city are peppered with unexplored caves and ruins both ancient and recent, filled with fruits ripe for the plucking by those adventurers brave enough to seek them out.

That's where you come in, finding yourselves in the grand Adventurer's Guildhall. Barely more than an oversized tavern, really, the draw of the Adventurer's Guild for adventurers is that here one may encounter like-minded adventurers with whom to form a team, and then one may consult the corkboard by the door for a myriad of opportunities. (The draw for everyone else is, of course, that one may post a bounty on the bulletin board and eventually it will be done, if the reward is high enough.)

Currently posted on the corkboard, there is a map:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6177/6154305240_341811c5aa_b.jpg
(the map is labeled "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS MAP, IT IS PROVIDED AS A COURTESY TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS")

...and a number of notes (in no particular order; spoilers'd only because they take up a lot of text space):

By order of Terek, Second of His Name, King of Gus, Vice-Admiral of the Dread Fleet, Ninth Count Rogan, and Emperor of the Mongrelfolk:
The king desires, to be brought before him for marriage, the most beautiful woman to be found in the all the reaches of the cosmos, whomsoever she may be.
The reward to any man who brings such a woman to the King shall earn the eternal gratitude of the kingdom and ten thousand platinum coins, or some equivalent favour.
Addendum from the Dowager Queen:
This woman must additionally be clever, competent, capable of defending herself in battle, and should preferably bring an alliance to some powerful nation.
If these conditions are met, the queen will see to it that he who completes this task shall have his greatest desire fulfilled to the greatest extent of possibility.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6020/5940730603_27740416c3_b.jpg

Sir Peph of the Kingsguard offers a bounty to any who would explore the ruins of Mat~sya and the Disreputable City on the slopes of Mount Dis. Somewhere, deep within the ruins, is rumoured to lie the tomb of Gus Dreadworm, bloodthirsty pirate king of legend.
Return with specific instructions, or preferably a map, and Sir Peph will part with his +1 cutlass and ten thousand gold.

Sir Randolph of the Kingsguard offers the following standing bounties:
1,000 gold for the head or plate and horns of a brass dragon.
1,500 gold for the head or horns and frill of a silver dragon.
2,000 gold for the head or horns of a copper dragon.
2,500 gold for the head or crest of a bronze dragon.
7,500 gold for the head or barbels of a gold dragon.
Juvenile or younger dragons shall earn half the listed bounty, while old and older dragons shall earn twice the listed bounty.
Additionally:
500 gold for the head of a metallic half-dragon of any race.
250 gold for the head of an individual of any race partially descended from a metallic dragon.
750 gold for the head of any Dragonborn of Bahamut, who are always metallic.
Moreover:
2,500 gold for a live chromatic half-dragon individual of any race.
1,250 gold for a live individual of any race partially descended from a chromatic dragon.

By order of Terek, Second of His Name, King of Gus, Vice-Admiral of the Dread Fleet, Ninth Count Rogan, and Emperor of the Mongrelfolk:
As befits a state of war between two nations, the king offers a standing bounty for the destruction, capture, or other removal from engineer hands, of any engineer-controlled submarine.
This shall earn a captain a letter of marque and official status as a privateer for the kingdom of Gus, with all the rights and responsibilities due thereto. Additionally, a reward of 1,500 platinum coins per submarine shall be granted.
Additionally, engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, captured while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 25 platinum coins per captive.
The heads of engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, killed while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 10 platinum coins per head.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/5940730773_9752efdb9f_b.jpg

As many may already be aware, the countryside has been plagued by foul and fiendish beasts, issuing forth from the caves and mines of Mount Dis. As a protector of the Realm, I feel it my duty to investigate, but other duties keep me occupied between N.D.C. and the Omorashi border. As such, I issue the following bounties:
> For concrete, verifiable information regarding the ultimate source of the infestation: 2,500 gold
> For a detailed map leading from the surface to the ultimate source of the infestation: 5,000 gold
> For the temporary or permanent stoppage of the infestation, by any means: 50,000 gold
Bounty posted by Sir Nakazawa of the Kingsguard
Additionally, Sir Ravenwood of the Kingsguard
offers gold for detailed maps of the complete
cave system, for other use. A copy of a map
for each level or section shall be rewarded
with 1,000 gold pieces.

Sir Bill of the Kingsguard seeks a worthy mount:
Some flying beast,
alive and unharmed,
large enough to comfortably carry a full-grown man,
young and intelligent enough to tame,
healthy enough to live for quite some time
The quality of the beast shall determine the amount of the reward.

Seeking the following effects, in any form – spell, scroll, wand, wish or limited wish, or miscellaneous:
Animate Object and Permanency
Stone to Flesh
Awaken Construct
See Pumayyaton the Sculptor. Rewards include a powerful elephant statuette, a taciturn yet loyal Dread Guard, a snarky yet effective sword, or elegant custom-crafted statuary.

GLADIATORS WANTED
SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
PROVE YOUR METTLE
EARN FABULOUS PRIZES
ENTERTAIN THE CROWD
INQUIRE AT THE SAINT AROSSI TEMPLE OF KORD AND ARENA COMPLEX
NO ENTRY FEE

CREATURES WANTED
WE NEED LIVE, DANGEROUS BEASTS
TO CHALLENGE ENTRANTS IN THE ARENA
REWARD FOR EACH MONSTER
INQUIRE AT THE SAINT AROSSI TEMPLE OF KORD AND ARENA COMPLEX

REWARD:
Information sought leading to the whereabouts of a band of evil adventurers who broke into the monastery on Perch Hill, terrorized the monks, and murdered Prior Trakis, a paladin of the faith. See Abbot Waxter at the Monastery with any information.
Be on the lookout for a group consisting of:
> an orc-descended man, in possession of a horse
> an engineer man
> an Omorashi human woman
> three additional human or elf men
Be warned: these individuals are armed and extremely dangerous. They may be in league with an evil erinyes devil – this creature is very powerful and should not be engaged without proper training. They may also be in possession of copies of several volumes of the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil – if found, these books should not be read and may be returned to the Monastery for an additional reward.
Authorized by Pelor’s Archbishop of Shell, Jov Sauart

Lord Yuz-Perry, First Viscount Noodleton, seeks Aid for his Township:
The Don’t Drink This River, also called the Poison River, has been foul and fetid since the Colonization of Gus, hence the River’s Name. However, in the past few Months, the Horribleness has seen a marked Increase. A Man can no longer venture within a Mile of the River without becoming nauseated. Crops have begun to wither and die on the Stalk. Even Wells accessing Groundwater far from the River have become tainted and unpotable. Moreover, perhaps unrelatedly, Serfs and their Livestock have begun to vanish from their Fields, even in broad Daylight. (warning: wrackspawn demons)
Anyone who can venture to the Source of the River and render its Water fit for Consumption shall earn the undying Gratitude of the House of Yuz-Perry, as well as a Grant of Land and may choose among the Viscount’s many Daughters and Sons for their Hand in Marriage.
The King endorses this undertaking, and has ordered one thousand platinum coins laid in escrow, to be awarded to whomsoever achieves this task to the satisfaction of the Viscount Noodleton.

Interested parties seek copies of any volumes from the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil. Bring these documents to the temple of Quasxthe; ask for Viblet Kewne. The reward shall be 1,000 gold pieces per volume.

Please help us,
Our brother Oaen discovered an ancient tomb west of Serpent Pass and, seeking to make a name for himself, ventured to explore it. He has not returned.
Please, find Oaen if he still lives. If he does not, tell us what became of him, and return to us our family’s ancestral greatsword Steak Knife.
Find us at the inn of the Laughing Nymph
Signed,
Raihel and Isaiella Cjoss

The proprietors of the Tiv-Beckett Cold-Iron Mine seek adventurers to clean out the primary mine system, which remains infested with monstrously huge centipedes and other vermin. The source of these creatures has been found and eliminated, but some vermin remain to terrorize our workers.

We shall pay
one copper piece for the remains of any centipede of less than 2’ length;
one silver piece for the remains of any centipede between 2’ and 8’ length;
one gold piece for the remains of any centipede of greater than 8’ length.

Additionally, we have struck ancient ruins of an underground civilization in our digging. We offer no reward for exploring these ruins, but adventurous types may choose to investigate nonetheless.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/6093042499_5c3c311b9e_z.jpg

Becoming a Member of the Adventurer’s Guild carries a flat fee of 25gp. Among other benefits, Members get a 50% discount on rooms, food, and drinks at the Guild, and may request rescue party insurance for each mission they undertake.

A member of the Adventurer’s Guild may become a Journeyman if he finds and returns one of the five Journeyman’s Keys, hidden somewhere in the caves and dungeons of Mount Dis. Among other benefits, Journeymen get free room and food at the Guild, and receive a 10% discount at participating adventurer supply stores.

A Journeyman may become a Guild Master upon completion of some special quest for the Guild Masters. Among other benefits, the discount at participating adventurer supply stores increases to 20% for a Master.

Members of all levels must pay dues of 5gp per month.

<Wizards, Sorcerers, and other Wielders of the arcane Arts, or any One seeking to become Such: consider joining the Mage’s Guild. Apprenticeship in the Guild is 50gp plus 10gp per Month. Benefits include a Room at the Guild, Access to all Lectures by Guild Teachers, Access to the vending Machine for material Components, and Access to Training and Meditation Rooms.>*

* (this message is written in the Draconic language)

Bounties may range from the unambiguously good to the rankly evil, offer rewards ranging from piddling to riches beyond your wildest dreams, and mount challenges ranging from child's play to downright unachievable. None of these factors necessarily correlates with any of the others.

Not every location you visit necessarily contains anything of value. Not all creatures you encounter will necessarily pose a challenge appropriate to your power, or even be hostile. Areas cleared of creatures will not necessarily remain cleared for long.

This is an organic world, with many options and correspondingly many risks. How you choose to respond is up to you.

(OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206967))

(Please include your character's name at or near the top of every post.)

jinx1016
2011-09-17, 10:17 PM
xerxes

xerxes turns to his companions, with a half grin.I see a few things I like on this here board. specifically the 14th, 15th, and 16th notes. he turns back to the board and points to the 14th note. 'specially this one bout finding evil books and somesuch. should be fun.

Malimar
2011-09-17, 10:21 PM
DM
(In the future, you can just roll things yourself, if you'd like. Worst that happens is it's not relevant and I ignore it.)

Xerxes rolls Decipher Script on the second posting: [roll0]
It's not any language he's familiar with, and he's pretty sure it's not any language he's encountered before at all. It may just be a code.

Then the same for the antepenultimate one, but without the inspiration point (because you can't use it on the same skill twice in one day): [roll1]
He's pretty sure this one is a code. He recognizes the alphabet as that of an ancient form of Common, but he's pretty sure the language of the words themselves don't match the alphabet. It's probably coded Common.

Varil
2011-09-17, 11:06 PM
Ix rubbed his head, glad to be indoors and out of the sunlight.

He half-listened as the man called Xerxes spoke, something about notes. He glanced over the board, wondering again why he'd agreed to follow the group he was with now.

Not thinking straight lately.

Frowning as he read the notes, he motioned to the twelfth one, "If this note is any indicator, anyone who has already managed to acquire part of this 'Encyclopedia of Evil' is likely to have powerful allies. I do not know about you, but I suspect battling a devil is far beyond my means."

Reading the other entries, he continued, "I agree that the fifteenth and sixteenth entries sound intriguing, the sixteenth in particular. I'm curious about the mention of ancient ruins."

Smokin Red
2011-09-18, 05:50 AM
Pierre put his drink back on the table. He had just started to get to know these people, but at least they provided a decent conversation. They were not the usual brutes who were found among the adventurers.
An he really valued some politeness and education.

"Well," he looked up to the men at the board, "I'm really not that keen to make my living as an exterminator. Those Vermin always seem to manage to ignore my charming personality.
Same goes for going into an ancient tomb, it is nearly sure, that there are undead. On the other hand, helping a damsel in distress would be appealing."
He then looked thoughtful at the last proposed note, "Those books could be interesting, but Ix has a point, even if you would assume, you could deal with devils, instead of fighting them."

I think we should perhaps wait some, but I will follow the group, but against mindless foes, I will be more of a liability, than everything else :smallredface:

jinx1016
2011-09-18, 01:03 PM
xerxes

no one agrees with me, what a surprise. don't know why I bother

I suggested those three because from where I stand, they seem least likely to get us killed. but by all means if death isn't a deal-breaker, we can try one of the other ones.Xerxes lets out an exasperated sigh. does anyone have a different idea?

Smokin Red
2011-09-18, 01:29 PM
Pierre

The gnome put on his most disarming smile.
"Woah, slowly here my friend. I am certainly not interested in confonting death anytime soon. I simply wanted to throw in some considerations.
I am as new to those parts here as you, and I prefer a, let's say, more cautious approach.
And as I said, your suggestion with the books would appeal to me."

Varil
2011-09-18, 08:15 PM
Ix considered a moment before speaking, "Well, if we have little agreement about these missions, maybe we should ask around town for work closer to our talents? While we do so, we can also inquire about these books. We may get lucky and learn something valuable."

He points to the last notice, the one about the Mage's guild, "It's beyond my financial means for now, but perhaps we could investigate that as well? If nothing else, a place of arcane learning could be good for information."

jinx1016
2011-09-18, 09:11 PM
xerxes

xerxes pauses from a moment to consider his options.

going off alone will most likely get me killed
Don't think I would enjoy being killed
gonna have to see where this goes

"that suggestion sounds reasonable to me"

Smokin Red
2011-09-19, 02:48 AM
Pierre, meanwhile taking a closer look at the board, responds:

"Quite so, I considered that too. On the other hand, a membership in the Adventurer's Guild works would have its benefits too." *pointing at the part with the 'rescue clause'*
"But as I wasn't decided yet and I'm willing to spend the fifty coins either way, I'm open to suggestions."

jinx1016
2011-09-19, 04:09 AM
xerxes

xerxes crosses his arms in front of his chest, and replies somewhat sheepishly.

"That sounds like a worthwhile option as well, but I don't have 25 spare gold to spend right now, sad as that may be."

Smokin Red
2011-09-19, 04:23 AM
Pierre

"Like I said, I'm willing to spend the money for one of those." And noticeable lower he adds: "It should come in useful sooner or later."
Then, cheerful again, turning to the silent pair, "What would be your opinion in that matter? The Adventurer's or the Arcane?"

Varil
2011-09-19, 07:03 AM
Ix shrugged, "If you're going to purchase membership, it's your choice on how to spend your coin."

Ix considers for a moment, "Although...if we're considering memberships, what about this?" Ix pointed at the Adventurer's Guild posting, "As I said, I'm new here, but maybe we should consider trying to hunt for these keys? While we're asking around about the other postings, we should also consider bringing them up. I can't afford guild membership now in any case, but if these keys are guarded it could be a source of income, as well as long-term benefits."

"...of course, if the keys are guarded it could also mean the end of us too, but that looks to be the case with most of these posts. We should ask someone if we all need to bring the keys individually or if we can submit them as a group, though."

Ah, I just remembered...while I don't think we're likely to end up dealing with them now, I just wanted to point out that Beguiler's aren't really helpless against mindless things such as vermin and undead. Your illusions should still work, provided the creatures rely on sight. A clever silent image can absolutely wreck something that isn't smart enough to know better, or at least confuse it enough for your team to wreck it.

Also : don't we have a fourth? Where'd he go? Maybe he's just busy, but I hope we didn't get cut down a member before we even got started!

Tyndmyr
2011-09-19, 08:49 AM
Tynd

OOC: Didn't realize we'd started already. No worries, definitely here now!

Decipher Script on first encoded note:[roll0]

"I also agree on the starting out on the easier tasks. Death seems...rather undesireable. I do have adequate funds to join either guild, but I'm not certain I'd like to start out spending so much money so soonly. Might I suggest we consider the centipedes? It's not the richest of rewards, 'tis true, but I feel as though a few bugs will pose us little enough threat, and we might do best to warm up with something manageable."

Smokin Red
2011-09-19, 08:53 AM
Pierre smiled smoothly.
"Yes, those keys would be certainly interesting." After a moment of consideration he adds "I will see if I can get some infomation anout it."

He then looks (and asks) around if someone can tell him how the things with the keys work. If you have to be a member already to take this test and if they count for a group or only for an individual

[roll0] <- hope that's right (Cha is not my forte, I rely on the spells for that ;))

I think the thrid one is there, but seems to wait if there is an evil group starting, the fighter/lizardfolk waits for the okay of the dm

Malimar
2011-09-19, 10:03 AM
DM
Tynd is pretty sure the note is just a simple substitution code. There are a limited number of common one- (a, I) and two- (in, if, it, of, at, or, to, we, a few others) -letter words in Common, so that's probably a good place to start.

Pierre asks the bartender, a gruff, be-moustached retired adventurer. The bartender helpfully tells him, "One key per person. Find a key if you're not already a member, you can pay the 25gp and get bumped straight up to journeyman."

Smokin Red
2011-09-19, 11:49 AM
Pierre

"...'kay, seems we need one key per person." He passes the information to the others. "Now, perhaps I just purchase membership of the Mage's Guild, at least they have a library. We still need info, don't we?
Or else, we could just go hunting vermin," he briefly shudders, "but perhaps we should look around here if we can't find some damage sp.., uhm, I mean melee skill and muscle..."

Sorry, for miscounting...
also: damn, natural twenty - for nearly nothing :smallannoyed:
and: thanks for the reminder about the images, but I think vermin are mostly scent-oriented :smallfrown: - undead on the other hand, I simply don't know

Malimar
2011-09-19, 09:13 PM
Sorry, for miscounting...
also: damn, natural twenty - for nearly nothing :smallannoyed:

Natural twenty bumped the time it took from 1d4+1 hours down to a minute or two. (Actually, it being the kind of question where you'd get an answer from the first person you ask is what bumped the time down. But we can pretend it was the 20. There's not all that much information about it. Oh yeah, other than something I just remembered...)

The bartender also happens to mention that the questmaster has a magic box he uses to send the Journeyman's Keys randomly to hiding places underground within a number of miles of Mount Dis.

jinx1016
2011-09-20, 12:44 AM
xerxes

xerxes listens for a minute then perks up as he has an epiphany.

"The tiv-beckett cold iron mine is near mount dis. look at the map it's right here just south a bit". He points to the middle of the map. we may be able to kill two birds with one stone. He lets out a sigh of resignation I know its not very glamorous and honestly that pay scale looks insultingly meager, the mine is probably owned by some greedy bastard elves. but it's a start, and it's better than sitting in here all day".

I hope it's not actually owned by elves, I don't need that crap in my life, that's why i left in the first place.

Smokin Red
2011-09-20, 04:49 AM
Pierre sighed.

"Okay, I was nearly convinced, it would go this way. And I understand the urge to get started somewhere. But, what about that Warrior I mentioned?"
He looked around.
"Do you think anybody here would do?"

Pierre starts to walk around looking for big, weapon-wielding types, who could be interested in accompanying them.

Meanwhile he changes plans, and looks where he can purchase membership for the Adventurer's Guild. And after handling the paperwork, he asks his counterpart about the keys.
"You know, about those keys, do I really have to stumble over them by sheer chance? Or is there a possibility to get a hint or two where and what to look for?"
I'm not sure if I am supposed to roll anything here. So, I left it to Malimar.

Anything new from the lizardfolk?

Justyn
2011-09-20, 07:58 AM
Zalkess

Zalkess looked over the notices for what had to have been the fourth time that day, jabbing the cork absentmindedly with his right index finger's claw.

Bounty for Engineer ships, notice from the Mages' Guild, notice from the Adventurers' Guild, some bastard offering a bounty on metallic dragons, bounty on giant bugs.

Same crap as was here before he had lunch. Zalkess shrugs; guess he'll have to join a group instead of forging a legend alone... at least for now.

Sighing and turning to his right to leave, he overhears a voice through a lull in the din of the room.

"But, what about that Warrior I mentioned? ...Do you think anybody here would do?"

Zalkess stopped. "How... auspicious." He muttered to himself as he turned to where he heard the voice; a small group sitting at a table with one of their number walking away. He makes the decision to approach and introduce himself.

"Greetings," he says with a formal bow. "I am... Zalkess," It's getting too easy to omit his family name. "I could not help but overhear your conversation; and I believe I may be of assistance."

And that's where I'll leave this for now; I need to need to get to sleep. Also, if I slip into past-tense, it's only because I'm used to a more formal style of writing.

Varil
2011-09-21, 12:47 AM
Ix

"Hm? Assistance? I assume, then, that you're looking for work too?" Ix motioned half-heartedly at the job notices.

"If so, then yes, I suspect you would be helpful. My name is Ix. We had some dissent, but I believe we've agreed on the mission at the mines for now."

Assuming we're all more-or-less agreed, I propose we all head to the mines, if only in the name of getting on to the whole adventure part of the deal:smallwink:.

DM : Provided everyone else agrees that that's the plan, Ix will head to the mines.

jinx1016
2011-09-21, 03:56 AM
xerxes

xerxes walks over to the lizardman and claps him on the shoulder.

perfect. he looks like he can fight all day. finally some good news today.

greetings meatshiel......erm zalakess. my name is xerxes, and your presence, preferably in front of me, would be most welcome. xerxes heads towards the door. unless anyone needs to shop before we leave, I would suggest we head out now, before someone beats us to it.

Smokin Red
2011-09-21, 11:21 AM
Pierre

After getting his membership, Pierre hurried to catch the rest of the party before leaving.

"Hey, hey what's up with the rush so suddenly? Short and short legged here..."
He stopped abrupt.
"Oh! Good day to you scaly giant sir, my name is Pierre de Frappé, a pleasure to meet you, I'm sure."
He can not quite keep his eyes away from the precious stones, but at least he tries.

It is okay, for me too, to head to the mines.

Malimar
2011-09-22, 05:12 PM
DM
Tiv-Beckett is a fairly standard mongrelfolk surname. So it's most likely not elf-owned.

The bartender shrugs. "The keys are completely randomized. All five are somewhere within ten or twenty miles of the peak of Mount Dis, probably. Unless something's picked one up and carried 'em off."

So the party heads off to the northwest gate of the city! It's a moist, foggy morning.

10 miles, one estimates about a 5-hour trip on foot at a decent pace, at least with a short person involved. So the party walks for several hours, presumably getting to know one another more, or else walking in sullen silence. Even in the fairly thick fog, the wide, partially cobbled road is easy to follow.

The trip is uneventful for the first several hours.
Zalkess: [roll0]
Tynd: [roll1]
Ix: [roll2]
Xerxes: [roll3]
Pierre: [roll4]

About 3 or 4 hours into the trip, Zalkess hears a flapping, as of large bats or birds approaching in the fog.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-23, 02:51 PM
Tyndmyr trails along with the rest of the group, his eyes still intent on a copy of the code he's made. His endless scribblings are interrupted by the occasional burst of profanity.

Varil
2011-09-23, 03:06 PM
Ix rides his Noble Riding Donkeytm, trying to ignore his growing headache, which had returned when the group stepped back outside.

I guess I'm allergic to fresh air. Great.

So, uh. Which of us remembered to ask around about how dangerous the roads are? Anyone? Ok, well...maybe they're just...you know...geese. Or some other, perfectly safe, mundane bird!

Smokin Red
2011-09-23, 05:54 PM
Pierre whistles a happy song, as they walk down the road. Everything was perfectly fine.Mundane! Great idea!

jinx1016
2011-09-23, 06:51 PM
xerxes walks along with the group, fighting the urge to rush ahead.

i'm so bored

another few hundred feet pass by.

are we even close yet?

a few years seem to pass...

I hope hes not gonna whistle the whole way...

anyone know any good pig recipes?

where the hell did that come from? I must be hungrier than I thought!

Justyn
2011-09-23, 07:10 PM
Zalkess stopped mid stride, cocking his head to the side.

"Does anyone else hear that?"

He swung his halberd into a more battle ready position in both hands, and called out. "Better safe than sorry: to arms, and close ranks!"

If it can be done at this point, I'll be reading an action to set my halberd against a charge.
OOC: I'm going to assume I was able to get changed before we left.

Varil
2011-09-23, 07:23 PM
Ix

"Hm?"

Ix glanced around, listening. I don't...no matter. At worst he's wrong.

Ix hops off his Noble Riding Donkey(tm), drawing his crossbow "just in case".

jinx1016
2011-09-23, 07:41 PM
xerxes notices the commotion and decides to draw his longbow and pull an arrow from his quiver.

I don't hear or see anything, what in the nine hells is he talking about? I hope there's somethign out there, it would help with the boredom.

erm, whats all the fuss about?

Smokin Red
2011-09-23, 08:00 PM
Pierre, totally aware of everything while whistling (:smallbiggrin:), stops it and mutters: "Better safe than sorry!"
Than he hides in the fog and readies his crossbow.Always assumed he can do so.
[roll0]

Malimar
2011-09-24, 02:36 PM
DM
Pierre drops to a crouch, hiding super-effectively in the fog! (Visibility is low: creatures more than 5 feet away have concealment (20% miss chance).) He doesn't even need to hide behind anything, though there are scattered boulders and trees that he can hide behind, so it works either way.

Everyone is now made aware that something is going on! As of two (maybe more, maybe less, but probably approximately two) large bats or birds. And by "large" I mean "Tiny", which is still on the large side for your average bat or bird.

Initiative
Pierre: [roll0]
Xerxes: [roll1]
Ix: [roll2]
Tynd: [roll3]
Zalkess: [roll4]
Creature 1: 9
Creature 2: 23

Initiative order is Tynd, one of the creatures, Xerxes, Ix, Zalkess, Pierre, the other creature. You don't need to post in that order, that's just the order in which I will resolve your actions.

Zalkess heard the creatures far enough away that you're able to prepare yourselves, so the things use up what might otherwise have been a surprise round getting close enough to the party that battle will be met in the next round. The creatures are close enough to see, but only barely: all you can really make out are flapping wings and what might be elongated beaks.

,,,,,,,o,f,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,f,,|,,,,
,|,,,,,,....,,,,,,,,
,,.......Z......,,,.
........TXI.........
.........P,d,.......
,,,,,,,,|,,,,,,o,,,,
o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

, - grass
. - road
(grass and road are mechanically identical)
| - tree
o - boulder
f - flapping thing
P - Pierre
X - Xerxes
I - Ix
T - Tynd
Z - Zalkess
d - Ix's Noble Riding Donkey(tm)

jinx1016
2011-09-24, 02:52 PM
Xerxes moves away from the group and lets an arrow fly at the oncoming fliers!

actions
move 15ft to the right of the party.

shoot at closest flier that is not currently engaged in melee with anyone. if that's not possible then just closest flier.

attack roll (using cunning insight)
[roll0] confirmation roll if needed [roll1]

attack roll if flier is engaged in melee
[roll2] confirmation roll if needed [roll3]

miss chance 21-100 is a hit 1-20 is a miss
[roll4]

damage roll
[roll5] if critical [roll6]

knowledge check to identify what we are fighting
knowledge nature [roll7]

Varil
2011-09-24, 03:25 PM
Ix'll pop off a shot at whichever creature is closest. If one closes to melee he'll use a 5' step to get clear, preferably sticking close to his donkey, who clearly needs a name before Noble Riding Donkey(tm) gets too old.

Attack Roll : [roll0]
Concealment Roll(1-20 hit) : [roll1]
Damage Roll : [roll2]

In case of critical : [roll3] [roll4]

Varil
2011-09-24, 03:27 PM
Erm. Oops. Obviously the concealment(1-20 hit) isn't right, but I was shooting to "roll low" so I guess that's a miss.

Justyn
2011-09-24, 10:54 PM
Zalkess keeps the point of his polearm trained at the approaching enemies, looking for an opportunity to run one through.

I'm not reading an action here; I'm just stating that I'll be posting my actions after the "thing" that I'm guessing is a stirge acts. Not metagaming, just noting that calling it a "thing" is a bit on the awkward side.

Just a note, I have a terminal case of crappy wi-fi, and I tend to be a night owl, so if I don't post in the day time... that's why.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-25, 09:35 AM
Tynd (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329600) snaps around, stepping five feet directly away from the party, then fires his heavy crossbow at the closest creature.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Concealment roll(1-4 is a miss): [roll]1d20[roll]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Tyndmyr
2011-09-25, 09:37 AM
Posted again to correct fail concealment roll.

Concealment roll(1-4 is a miss): [roll0]

Malimar
2011-09-25, 11:24 AM
First Part Of Round
Tynd takes a step, then pegs the nearest flapping thing with a crossbow bolt. It shrieks and crumples to the ground.

Creature 1 flies directly at Zalkess. It looks like somebody cross-bred a mosquito with two bats and painted it orange. Which, considering the frequency with which A Wizard Did It, may even be what happened. It does indeed look something like this:http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG237.jpgHalberd isn't a reach weapon, so no attack of opportunity, and the stirge just goes right for Zalkess with its proboscis pointed directly at his heart. It's a critical threat, and a critical hit. That would be terrible news, if it weren't just attaching itself to Zalkess. It latches itself firmly to the lizardman's chest.

Xerxes identifies the things as not animals at all. Switching the roll out for Knowledge(arcana), he identifies it as a stirge, a mosquito-like monster that likes to drink blood. Then he moves east. One stirge is on the ground, and one is grappling Zalkess. [roll0] {1 is bad, 2 is good} Xerxes hits Zalkess, who takes 5 damage from his comrade's arrow!

But lucky for Zalkess, Ix misses entirely in the fog and doesn't even need to make a chance-of-hitting-ally-because-his-target-is-grappling roll!

Now Zalkess is up. Also Pierre. And creature 2, but creature 2 is unconscious. (Making me split the round into two halves can slow things down a lot; I wouldn't recommend making too much of a habit of it.)

,,,,,,,o,*,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|,,,,
,|,,,,,,..f.,,,,,,,,
,,.......Z......,,,.
.......T..I...X.....
.........P,d,.......
,,,,,,,,|,,,,,,o,,,,
o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

f - stirge
* - unconscious stirge

Smokin Red
2011-09-25, 11:28 AM
Pierre follows the lead "Okay, you're more the 'shoot first, ask questions later' kind of guys...", and shoots at the nearest hostile not in melee.

Afterwards he takes a 5-ft.-step away from the nearest enemy and tries to hide again.
FAIL! I'm going to do the 2 again, sorry :smallredface:
1d20+2

[roll=Concealment (1-20=miss)]1d100

[roll3] ([roll4])

[roll5] :smallamused:

Smokin Red
2011-09-25, 11:31 AM
Next try:
[roll0]
[roll1] (1-20=miss)
Gnaa, useless!
Aargh, just realized, that I have been ninja'd. Should I change my action?

Varil
2011-09-25, 03:54 PM
Ix eyes the halberd in Zalkess's hands.

Probably can't use that so close.

Ix draws his dagger with his off-hand and offers it to Zalkess, if he wants to try and use it to get the thing off.

Not sure on the rules for handing off objects to grappled characters. If this isn't possible...probably still best that Ix doesn't take any pot-shots right now.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-25, 04:44 PM
Tynd grins as his bolt strikes true, then flips out another, loading it into his crossbow as he looks on with some concern at the one biting his new acquaintance.

Justyn
2011-09-25, 07:02 PM
OOC: I just want to check: are the stirges here identical to the ones in the monster manual? Because if they are, the one that is grappling me would have provoked an attack of opportunity from doing so, as the ones there lack Improved Grapple. Unless it's doing that "faux-grapple" thing they have, in which case, never mind.

Justyn
2011-09-25, 09:53 PM
Zalkess

Zalkess drops his halberd, and tries to dig into the offending Stirge with his claws.

Anyhow... Attacking with both of my natural weapons, if I'm reading the rules correctly, since the pair of claws are my default primary weapon right now, I get my full strength to hit and damage; if not then only the modifier changes, rather than having any effect on the die roll; hence why I'm showing what the numbers generated are rather than just the results.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

I can't really think of a description right now, so I'll just post actions to keep the game moving.

Justyn
2011-09-25, 09:54 PM
Forgive me for the triple post, but I forgot one. :smallfrown:

[roll0]

Smokin Red
2011-09-26, 08:01 AM
Pierre
Okay, as nobody says different, I'll keep to my posted actions above. Not, that I would do any good in other ways. :(
I'm no help in a grapple against them, and the one on the ground I didn't hit.

The following is my next round.
After hurting the ground with his well-aimed bolt, Pierre retreats some more (10 Ft.) to the east, and tries to hide again.
Then he reloads his crossbow.

[roll0]
If I do something stupid, or can do something in a more productive way, please tell me.

Malimar
2011-09-29, 11:55 AM
DM
Zalkess, uh, does a natural attack damage while grappling, which, uh, works. He claws the stirge into pieces, and tosses it aside.

Pierre does indeed miss! But there are no hostiles that aren't in melee, so that works.

,,,,,,,o,*,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|,,,,
,|,,,,,,..*.,,,,,,,,
,,.......Z......,,,.
.......T..I...X.....
.........P,d,.......
,,,,,,,,|,,,,,,o,,,,
o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You all gain 60 experience.

Varil
2011-09-29, 12:29 PM
Ix

"Well. What unpleasant little creatures. Are you alright, Zalkess? Shall we press on?"

jinx1016
2011-09-29, 01:51 PM
xerxes

yeah, erm, I'm um, sorry about that. here. xerxes pulls out a small vial of liquid. drink this.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-29, 02:26 PM
Tynd snaps up his loaded crossbow, and looks disappointedly at the lack of targets before shouldering it and resuming the slow plod onward.

Smokin Red
2011-09-29, 02:45 PM
Pierre takes a breath, obviously relieved.
"Well, that went better than I thought."

Pierre will follow the group to the mine or the city, he just don't want to stay alone in the wilderness / on the street.

Varil
2011-09-29, 11:45 PM
Just for clarification, Ix is willing to proceed assuming the group agrees.

Justyn
2011-09-30, 05:57 AM
Pulling the last bit of the ruined bloodsucker from his flesh, Zalkess dropped it unceremoniously to the ground, still twitching, before stomping on it a few times for good measure.

Turning toward the approching elf, Zalkess waved his hand at him. "Ah, thank you, Xerxes, but I don't think tha... " His eyes finally spotted the bolt sticking out of his thigh, and he tilted his head down towards it. "...t... How did I not notice that?"

Zalkess made a hissing noise and rolled his eyes. "Hold that thought, I need to get this out, or else that might just cause my flesh to heal up around the..." He looks over the group. "...bolt, given none of you are holding a bow, but I've seen you all holding crossbows."

Eyeing at the bolt pierced through his armor, he continued. "Judging by the hole in the metal, this is an armor piercing head, so I just need to pull the thing out straight, and I can pull the whole thing out without any further injury. And..." Zalkess kneeled down on his other leg and tapped the shaft of the a few times with a grimace. "Yeah, it doesn't feel like it hit anything else besides the muscle."

He took a deep breath in though his nose. "Alright, let's get this over with." Zalkess reached down and wrapped his fingers around the shaft, and exhaled. With a grunt, he started to slowly pull the bolt out of his leg, and, after a few seconds, he finally pulls it free. Checking it to make sure he hadn't left the head in his limb, and finding it still attached, he offers it to Xerxes.

"That actually hurt less than I thought it would. I imagine that that was a healing potion you were offering me a moment ago?"

Here's a nice long post to make the game nicer... Also, I wanted to make up for the fact that I've been more concerned with catching up with the episodes of One Piece that I've missed, and replaying EarthBound. :smallsigh:

jinx1016
2011-09-30, 01:53 PM
xerxes looks around at his companions. well, if everyone's ok, let's continue forward. he begins walking down the road again.

Malimar
2011-10-06, 03:14 PM
DM
The group concludes that the creatures, being naked beasts, have nothing of value, and thus continues on its way!

After the better part of another uneventful hour, they arrive at the mine. Well, at a large, squat building. The front of the building has a sign declaring it "TIV-BECKETT COLD IRON MINE HEADQUARTERS", and there's an old mongrelman sitting in a rocking chair on the porch. Behind the building to the right, dust-covered workers bustle purposefully.

Smokin Red
2011-10-08, 07:18 AM
Pierre approaches the old man and bows slightly.
"Ey up, sir! My name is Pierre de Frappé, and my companions and I are here for the exterminator job. Would you be so kind and give us some clues about it?"

Malimar
2011-10-09, 12:05 PM
DM
The old mongrelman puffs on his pipe, then responds to Pierre: "Well, a month or two ago, the miners started gettin' et by centipedes. We pulled 'em out, put out a call for adventurers. Some of 'em found this crazy drow guy, beat him up, and brought him back to the palace dungeon. Drow guy had been breeding the bugs. Still bunches of critters to kill left in there, though."

jinx1016
2011-10-09, 12:48 PM
Xerxes

do you perhaps have a map of the mines that we can examine or borrow? I don't like the idea of getting lost down there.

who in their right mind breeds centipedes? disgusting.

Smokin Red
2011-10-09, 12:55 PM
Pierre
"Oh yes, a map would be very helpful." He pauses briefly.
"Have there been any other adventurers entering the mine since the drow has been removed from the premises?"

Varil
2011-10-09, 07:53 PM
Ix quietly listened while his companions spoke to the man.

Drow? Odd, what would one of those be doing here?

Tyndmyr
2011-10-10, 12:25 PM
Tynd shrugged. Drow were strange creatures, who knew what the guy was up to? Less danger in the extermination job? Win/win.

Smokin Red
2011-10-14, 08:54 AM
Pierre
Perhaps the old guy hadn't the keenest ears anymore...
"Would you perhaps have a map of the mine? And are there any other adventurers currently inside?" he asks again, significantly louder this time.