PDA

View Full Version : Stunning Fist/Quivering Palm Optimization?

Dalek-K
2011-09-17, 10:12 PM
I know the monk isn't exactly what you would call a decent class ... And I understand that the unarmed swordsage is the better version but for an upcoming game I'm looking to make a fun character using only core and one of my favorite FF Tactics (ps1!) classes :D

In core is there any way to optimize a Monk, not for damage but for hitting and using stunning fist.

I will be asking the DM if things like Vow of Poverty and alternate books for monks can be used (if there are a book for a monk...)

I want to be able to zip in, use stunning fist/quivering palm on the BBEG (or some other big baddie) and then help wipe up the mooks.

I was thinking Dex and Wis would be my stats followed by Con (yeah I know... MAD).

I'm not looking to be a big damage dealer but I do want to hit and cause some stunning/death.

Flickerdart
2011-09-17, 10:28 PM
In Core? Only Ability Focus will be useful to you.

Little Brother
2011-09-17, 10:37 PM
You really can't in core. You need at least Sandstorm, DotU, I think, CompWar, and I like MoI.

Fist of the Pharaoh, Pain Touch, the other touch one, I think Saphire Fist is nice, so on. Core only is impossible to be good.

Dalek-K
2011-09-17, 10:45 PM
Yeah I've been running through core/srd and can't find anything ether... *sigh*

All I can see is getting my dex and wis as high as possible but I was hoping I was missing something

Glimbur
2011-09-17, 11:37 PM
Yeah I've been running through core/srd and can't find anything ether... *sigh*

All I can see is getting my dex and wis as high as possible but I was hoping I was missing something

As previously mentioned, Ability Focus. It's nominally a monster feat but there's no particular reason you would be unable to take it for Stunning Fist. Whether it's a good investment of a feat is a different question.

Big Fau
2011-09-17, 11:51 PM
You want to use the MiC too, since there's a magic item that increases the DC of Stunning Fist. And the Scorpion Kama and an enhancement that allows you to use Stunning Fist with a weapon instead of an Unarmed Strike.

And the Stunning Surge enhancement, for even more Stunning goodness.