PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Gunslinger Melee?

Yeturs
2011-09-18, 09:32 AM
So then. Im looking for a cool idea behind a gunslinger melee buildy thing. Basically, i want a sword in one hand and a pistol in my other. It would be cool if i could weave these attacks together in a unique and powerful way (Other then a full attack, that is.)

Anyway, ideas? Feats i should look out for, or PRCs, or good class combos (I was thinking of dipping samurai, actually. does not seem to powerful though)? Third party and home brew is probably ok, but sticking to the SRD would be nice.

Also, i would like to avoid mage-y classes if i can. I want a gish, but replace all your gishy magics with my BFG.

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, and if i sound stupid, remember im new to pathfinder, go easy!

Retech
2011-09-18, 09:35 AM
Not sure about the validity of this build, but perhaps Magus with a one level dip in Wizard (spellslinger)?

Though possibly not RAW, the Magus goes fighty with a sword in one hand and shoots spells out of a gun with the other.

I am currently on for only a few minutes, but I'll be back later when I have time to check the rules.

Yeturs
2011-09-18, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the hasty reply!

I didnt mention it, but i would like to avoid magic if i can. I know its super awesome and whatever (Im always the party wizard or equivalent) but i want to get away from it in this build. Im editing that in to my OP, sorry i forgot to mention it!

grarrrg
2011-09-18, 09:54 AM
So then. Im looking for a cool idea behind a gunslinger melee buildy thing. Basically, i want a sword in one hand and a pistol in my other. It would be cool if i could weave these attacks together in a unique and powerful way (Other then a full attack, that is.)

My first thought upon reading "Gunslinger Melee" was MONK DIP!
Seriously, hear me out.

A Gunslingers main stats are Dex and Wis.
A Monk gets Wis-to-AC, add in your Dex bonus and your AC (AND Touch-AC) will be huge.
A Monk can make Unarmed attacks with his Feet, leaving your hands free for your gun(s).
A Monk can get Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat, again making use of your high Dex.
Oh, and you can pretend that you are this guy:
http://www.projectbag.com/cowboy_bebop/pics/misc/session5/pierrot_spike01.jpg

Anything close to you gets kicked in the face, anything farther away gets shot in the face.
Recommend Deft Shootist Deed so that reloading and shooting do not provoke AoO's.

Yeturs
2011-09-18, 10:00 AM
Very interesting grarrrg...

Assuming you were my DM, would you allow any way to add pistols (or a specific one or whatever) to my monk flurry weapons?

The a short sword in my off hand...

Beautiful, thanks.

Any other things i should watch out for? Feats, skill tricks (assuming those exist?) or a better pairing you can think of?

grarrrg
2011-09-18, 10:10 AM
Very interesting grarrrg...

Assuming you were my DM, would you allow any way to add pistols (or a specific one or whatever) to my monk flurry weapons?

Any other things i should watch out for? Feats, skill tricks (assuming those exist?) or a better pairing you can think of?

The Zen Archer Monk Archetype can Flurry with a Bow, but this LARGELY depends on DM interpretation. There are a LOT of bow/crossbow related feats/abilities that now work with firearms, but Paizo has yet to fully update/decline if they do so.

I will admit that I have not fully explored the idea of "Gun-Fu", I'm just presenting options.

Since you aren't wearing armor, get a Monk's Robe. You count as +5 levels for AC bonus and Unarmed damage.

I'd recommend at least 2 levels of Monk for the second Bonus Feat and Evasion (you have awesome Dex+Ref save USE IT!).
And at least 5 levels of Gunslinger for Dex-to-Damage.

After that, just decide if you want to be a Gunslinger that kicks people sometimes, or a Monk that shoots people sometimes.

Cieyrin
2011-09-18, 12:18 PM
The Zen Archer Monk Archetype can Flurry with a Bow, but this LARGELY depends on DM interpretation. There are a LOT of bow/crossbow related feats/abilities that now work with firearms, but Paizo has yet to fully update/decline if they do so.

I will admit that I have not fully explored the idea of "Gun-Fu", I'm just presenting options.

Since you aren't wearing armor, get a Monk's Robe. You count as +5 levels for AC bonus and Unarmed damage.

I'd recommend at least 2 levels of Monk for the second Bonus Feat and Evasion (you have awesome Dex+Ref save USE IT!).
And at least 5 levels of Gunslinger for Dex-to-Damage.

After that, just decide if you want to be a Gunslinger that kicks people sometimes, or a Monk that shoots people sometimes.

This is definitely a good path to pursue, especially since it keeps a hand open so you can reload. Also, Deflect Arrows works on bullets, which Monk has an easy path into. The Snap Shot chain can help extend your effective reach to give you decent battlefield control (15' inclusive reach with my gun? Score!). Grappling and finishing with a bullet to the face may also be decent, though the rules are a bit unclear on the effective size of firearms, though I'd think pistols are considered light. If nothing else, a coat or pistol dagger should be, if a normal pistol or larger aren't. Several styles can also be useful, like Crane, Mantis or Panther or one of the elemental styles. Plenty of interesting paths to pursue.