PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use "Sorcery and Steam?"

Barbarian MD
2011-09-18, 12:50 PM
Legends and Lairs: Sorcery and Steam (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=498&it=1) is a third party book from Fantasy Flight Games. In it, it has rules for clockwork and steam powered armors. I picked up a copy because one of my characters is in a never-ending quest for MORE POWER, and having steam-powered armor seemed like the perfect fit, regardless of material cost.

Has anyone ever used this supplement? How well do the rules for steam powered armor work? Did you run into any major flaws?

AugustNights
2011-09-18, 03:33 PM
I read through the book, but found it largely inappropriate for the sort of games I run, preferring to simply re-flavor Artificiers or use Lappy9000's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114229) Engineer class for those sort of things. I did pilfer a few items from the book however. Specifically the Spring-saw, Injector, Far-reaching Gauntlet, Ogre-Ale, and Utility Dagger.

Madcrafter
2011-09-18, 03:36 PM
Never used them, but just looked over the section on steam armour. Nothing seemed to stand out as particularly unbalanced, though some of the addons seemed a little on the cheap side. Definitely interesting, and makes me want to stick a giant suit of steam armour in a treasure hoard sometime.

You should make sure it makes sense for the world, but it seems you think it would fit the flavour you are looking for (as opposed to the magitech of the artificer)

flumphy
2011-09-18, 03:52 PM
I've used it in one campaign. Maybe it was just our particular party or our level of optimization, but for us it actually seemed somewhat underpowered compared to the regular old non-mechanical options. Especially when casters got involved. In a world with steam technology, it feels kind of wonky when the PCs don't have much of a motivation to actually use it.

It's fun and flavorful, though. I definitely wouldn't recommend against it if you're interested in it, since my group may just have been "doing it wrong."

Dalek-K
2011-09-18, 04:08 PM
Please tell me steam armor means some sort of iron man suit... :D

flumphy
2011-09-18, 04:31 PM
Please tell me steam armor means some sort of iron man suit... :D

There's a steam-powered suit in there, yes, although, again, what can be done with first-party sources with custom magic item creation would probably get you a closer approximation of Iron Man.

I'd actually reccommend Dragonmech instead for that kind of thing. Sorcery and Steam is mostly steampunk.