PDA

View Full Version : Hide in Plain Sight

noparlpf
2011-09-18, 01:16 PM
So how exactly does this ability work? Does it allow you to hide while observed, or does it allow you to hide without cover or concealment? This was an argument we had the other day when the guy with HiPS couldn't hide because the trolls were watching him, even though he had cover, and I thought that was backwards.
Yes, I do realise there are a few different version for different classes/critters.

Greenish
2011-09-18, 01:21 PM
HiPS allows you to hide while being observed (occasionally with other conditions, such as natural terrain or close proximity to a shadow). Some versions also allow you to hide without cover, while others do not.

TehLivingDeath
2011-09-18, 01:25 PM
Like you said, depends on the class. I think all classes/templates that grant HiPS state what you need to be close to, overriding the need for cover or concealment. Shadowdancer and Assassin only need to be close to a shadow (doesn't matter if they're being observed) and Ranger needs to be in a natural enviroment (Camouflage eliminates the need for concealment earlier).

noparlpf
2011-09-18, 01:28 PM
So was I right? I think the character in question had the Dark template, so it was HiPS except when in areas of sunlight or the daylight spell. We were in a shadowy dungeon room at the time.

Curmudgeon
2011-09-18, 01:28 PM
Hide in Plain Sight is the name for around a dozen abilities with somewhat different characteristics. All versions of HiPS let you make a Hide check while being observed (assuming they're not nullified by some environmental condition, like sunlight or lack of natural terrain), no matter how watchfully. Generally the Supernatural versions also let you skip the normal cover/concealment requirement to Hide, and the Extraordinary versions do not. Since there are so many HiPSs, read each one carefully because only some of them will offer what you want.

So was I right? I think the character in question had the Dark template, so it was HiPS except when in areas of sunlight or the daylight spell. We were in a shadowy dungeon room at the time.
If the shadows provided minimum necessary concealment (at least 20% miss chance for all attacks) then the Dark Creature template would have allowed a Hide check while the character was being watched. (You're wrong about there being cover, though.) If the shadows weren't deep enough to provide concealment, then no, the Dark Creature template HiPS wouldn't be adequate to allow a Hide check.

Greenish
2011-09-18, 01:44 PM
If the shadows weren't deep enough to provide concealment, then no, the Dark Creature template HiPS wouldn't be adequate to allow a Hide check.Doesn't that depend on which version of the template you're using?

Curmudgeon
2011-09-18, 02:43 PM
Doesn't that depend on which version of the template you're using?
Yes, but the general version (Tome of Magic) is the default. (The Faerūn-only version in Cormyr: The Tearing Of The Weave is fairly obscure.) Since the OP mentioned cover, which is only necessary with an Extraordinary version of Hide in Plain Sight, that makes the C:TTotW Dark Creature version rather unlikely.