PDA

View Full Version : One handed fighting

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-18, 02:33 PM
Are there any other feats that support the concept of fighting with a weapon in only one hand except einhander? I can't remember any and I'm trying to find them all.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-18, 02:39 PM
Not feats but most of the maneuvers from Tome of Battle care little if you use them one handed or two handed.
Besides the Diamond Mind discipline fits rather well thematically with one handed weapons.

Curious
2011-09-18, 02:40 PM
Assuming PF is up for grabs, Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/pel-s-lab/dervish-dance) isn't terrible for certain character builds.

Seerow
2011-09-18, 02:43 PM
Outside of homebrew, it really is a very undersupported archtype, unfortunately. Come to think of it, even in homebrew most people don't spend much time on it. Alas.

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-18, 02:43 PM
Oh, I know that maneuvers can generally make the concept not suck, but that's not what I'm looking for at the moment. And the concept uses a rapier, so Dervish Dance doesn't work.

EDIT: This is actually for a homebrew project. :smallbiggrin:

Curious
2011-09-18, 02:46 PM
Oh, I know that maneuvers can generally make the concept not suck, but that's not what I'm looking for at the moment. And the concept uses a rapier, so Dervish Dance doesn't work.

EDIT: This is actually for a homebrew project. :smallbiggrin:

Eh, it would be pretty easy to refluff a scimitar as a rapier, or vice versa.

Seerow
2011-09-18, 02:47 PM
There is one other feat, I forget which book, but it was a cloak fighting style. A quick glance at the feat list says Combat Cloak Expert is the best place to look, but that doesn't sound quite right to me.

And since you did just mention you are interested in homebrew, may I point you towards my rebalanced weapon style feats? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199946

Most relevant for what you're looking for is this:
Einhander [Style] [Fighter]
Benefit: When attacking with a one handed weapon held in one hand, and no other weapons, you gain +1 to hit and Armor Class per 4 points of base attack bonus you possess, plus an additional bonus to damage equal to your dexterity modifier. Apply double the bonus to hit as a bonus to any combat maneuvers made while wielding a one handed weapon in one hand.
Special: You may not use this feat in conjunction with reach weapons unless you have taken the Adaptable Fighter feat.

Parry and Riposte [Style] [Fighter]
Prerequisite: Einhander, BAB+3
Benefit: When attacking with a single one handed weapon held in one hand, you can choose to take a -4 penalty to all attack rolls to have a chance to parry any melee attack made against you. Any time an enemy in melee makes an attack roll against you, you can make an opposing attack roll at your highest bonus (with the -4 penalty), if your roll is higher, the attack misses. If you beat the opponent's roll by at least 5, you may take an attack of opportunity against the opponent.

Special: If you have a weapon or shield in your offhand that is granting a bonus to armor class that you did not attack with this turn, you may add that bonus to all attack rolls made to parry. Additionally, you may not use this feat in conjunction with reach weapons unless you have taken the Adaptable Fighter feat.

Flashy Offensive [Style] [Fighter]
Prerequisite: Einhander, BAB+6
Benefit: When attacking with a single one handed weapon held in one hand, you can feint as an attack option during a full round attack. Additionally, when you use Power Attack with a one handed weapon in one hand, you can gain +1d6 damage for every 2 points of BAB sacrificed.
Special: You may not use this feat in conjunction with reach weapons unless you have taken the Adaptable Fighter feat.

But the styles were made with each other in mind as a mutual balance point, to make THFing require more investment to become awesome, and to allow the other styles to shine if given a similar level of investment.

Greenish
2011-09-18, 02:50 PM
Dragon compendium has another feat for the 1-hander-and-free-hand concept, but it has a whole bunch of prerequisites and only gives a bit of AC.

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-18, 02:53 PM
Those are all rather nice feats, except I already gave the class a source of bonus damage, a dodge bonus, and the ability to parry attacks. But thanks.

Are there any other feats, homebrew or otherwise to support the concept?

EDIT: Ack, I don't have any of the Dragon Material.

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 02:55 PM
Einhander is the only feat I can recall that specifically needs one weapon + open hand (and the 'benefits' of it don't justify the feat even then.) Otherwise the closest you get is things that still work ok with just one weapon; the character would still be better off doing something with that free hand, but he won't be useless if he doesn't.

hex0
2011-09-18, 02:57 PM
Not a feat, but Duelist gets a boost from it.

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-18, 02:58 PM
Yeah, this class is already a bit of a mix between duelist and swashbucker.

Curious
2011-09-18, 03:01 PM
Oh, wait here's another one for one-handed: Aldori Dueling Mastery (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/feats/combat-feats/aldori-dueling-mastery).

Although the prerequisites are rather harsh, the feat itself isn't too bad, assuming you nix the feat tax of having to get EWP.

Optimator
2011-09-18, 03:02 PM
Snowflake Wardance

Seerow
2011-09-18, 03:03 PM
Those are all rather nice feats, except I already gave the class a source of bonus damage, a dodge bonus, and the ability to parry attacks. But thanks.

Are there any other feats, homebrew or otherwise to support the concept?

EDIT: Ack, I don't have any of the Dragon Material.

Well out of curiosity what exactly are you looking for? Feats for a specific character? More options to add on to a new duelist class you're working on?

Because if you're looking for new options/class features, posting up the full class and asking for feedback is the best way to get some new ideas in. If you're looking for feats, consider that since you have all you could want for your combat style coming from your class, you can be investing those feats into other areas.

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-18, 03:05 PM
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything when looking for ideas. And it's likely that I'll be posting the class sometime today or tomorrow.

gorfnab
2011-09-18, 10:30 PM
Not necessarily feats, but here are two "Swashbuckler" style builds I've toyed with recently that both fight with a one-handed weapon and nothing in the offhand. Hopefully you can find a little inspiration from these.

Human
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Human
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - EWP Broadblade Shortword (pre-errata version) B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Deadly Defense
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Duelist
12. Duelist - Combat Reflexes
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Karmic Strike, Improved Combat Expertise, or Snap Kick
19. Duelist - B: Deflect Arrows
20. Duelist

If you can't get or don't want EWP: Broadblade Shortsword, move Combat Reflexes to 3rd level and add Snap Kick (best option) or Improved Combat Expertise (decent option) to 12th level

Zaq
2011-09-18, 11:44 PM
Snowflake Wardance

Snowflake Wardance says that it applies to "any slashing melee weapon you wield in one hand," and forbids using a shield . . . but it doesn't say that you can't use a slashing melee weapon in each hand. It works just as well with TWF as it does with an einhander style.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-19, 12:18 AM
Assuming 3.P there is an interesting one I have been working on. Vital Strike from Pathfinder has you roll the initial attack (without modifiers) twice. Combining this with the Fighter ability Overpowering Strike and some ToB swift action abilities you can do quadruple your weapons normal damage (boosted by size modifiers where possible) and double the modifier damage. The issue is that this actually works better with a two-handed weapon, but if you can get one handed mods to it then it might work out.

Darrin
2011-09-19, 07:14 AM
There is one other feat, I forget which book, but it was a cloak fighting style. A quick glance at the feat list says Combat Cloak Expert is the best place to look, but that doesn't sound quite right to me.

Cloak Dance (XPH/SRD) is a much better feat, but doesn't actually require either a cloak or an unoccupied hand, although you can fluff it that way.

Seerow
2011-09-19, 09:08 AM
Cloak Dance (XPH/SRD) is a much better feat, but doesn't actually require either a cloak or an unoccupied hand, although you can fluff it that way.

Then it's not what I was thinking about, though I can't remember the actual name of it. Basically it let you use a cloak as a shield and gave a bonus in a couple of maneuvers, as long as you had an empty hand.

Darrin
2011-09-19, 09:29 AM
Then it's not what I was thinking about, though I can't remember the actual name of it. Basically it let you use a cloak as a shield and gave a bonus in a couple of maneuvers, as long as you had an empty hand.

I thought you were referring to the Combat Cloak Expert tactical feat from PHBII (p. 93). Like most tactical feats, none of the options it offers are all that particularly effective.

Jude_H
2011-09-19, 09:46 AM
Maybe Gnome Battle Cloak proficiency? You don't really need it to use a battle cloak, but it gives shield bonuses and a +4 to disarm checks while using it (which really only puts it even with a two-handed weapon, but for a 5gp garment, that's not too bad).