PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 RAW - is it possible to notice if a character is non-proficent?

deuxhero
2011-09-18, 03:27 PM
Random question: Is there anything that RAW let's a character tell say... someone holding a luckblade for re-rolls (or is wearing 0 ACP armor/shield) over an actual short sword combatant (before they start turning you into a chicken)? Watching the numbers doesn't count because they haven't attacked yet.

RAMS DMing would say spot check, which would be significantly lower check for someone who is proficient, could tell, but RAW?

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 03:33 PM
Fluffwise, I'd just tell appropriately martial characters that they can tell (although 0-ACP armors are also, fluffily, comfortable enough that you can basically wear them like clothing, so I don't think I'd mention that one unless somebody was really curious about it.) Rules-wise, you'd want either a Martial Lore check or a Sense Motive check, as an expansion of the 'Assess an Opponent' function for Sense Motive.. I don't think there's an explicit RAW function that will tell you that information, 'tho.

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-18, 04:37 PM
I would allow someone to figure that out without seeing the person actually wielding the weapon.