PDA

View Full Version : Full-round

Gotterdammerung
2011-09-18, 05:07 PM
Where, if anywhere, do the rules state that using a full round action like enlarge person or a summoning spell takes from the start of your turn to the start of your next turn?

I've never been able to actually find that rule.

It might not exist, so i am asking for help looking for it.

If it doesn't exist that would make it an interpretation of the rules and not an actual rule.

And i have always found that interpretation a little off.

I mean wouldnt the spell listing say "combat round" for duration if they meant for it to last from the beginning of one turn to the next?

Doesn't a persons turn represent what he does in with his 6 seconds of time?

When a person full attacks he uses up his full 6 seconds with a potential flurry of attacks but manages to confine it all into his little turn.

Why should full round actions be any different?

Morquard
2011-09-18, 05:11 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#castingTime

"A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed."

olentu
2011-09-18, 05:13 PM
As I recall it is actually that the spells with a casting time of one round that do that. I believe that the PHB page 174 under casting time is where the information is located.

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 05:13 PM
Casting Time

Most spells have a casting time of 1 standard action. Others take 1 round or more, while a few require only a free action.

A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.

A spell that takes 1 minute to cast comes into effect just before your turn 1 minute later (and for each of those 10 rounds, you are casting a spell as a full-round action, just as noted above for 1-round casting times). These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails.

When you begin a spell that takes 1 round or longer to cast, you must continue the concentration from the current round to just before your turn in the next round (at least). If you lose concentration before the casting is complete, you lose the spell.

Relevant excerpts bolded.
1 Round cast time is not the same as Full-round cast time. Enlarge Person, Summon Monster, and Sleep use the former; they take your turn (the full-round action used) and then can still be interrupted until immediately before your next turn. A full-round casting time, such as a Sorcerer using metamagic, does indeed only use your personal initiative part of the round, just as a full-attack does.

King Atticus
2011-09-19, 02:02 AM
As an alternative I read somewhere that you can start casting a spell with a full round casting time as a standard action that carries over to the next turn taking up a standard action in that round as well.

Ex: move ->start casting [next round] complete casting->move

Does anyone know where I found this? I was looking for it as a related answer to this thread...and now I seem to have lost it. :smallredface:

candycorn
2011-09-19, 02:40 AM
Look in the SRD, under combat. Under action types, there's "Start/Complete a Full-Round Action". That's the rule you're looking for.

King Atticus
2011-09-19, 02:50 AM
Look in the SRD, under combat. Under action types, there's "Start/Complete a Full-Round Action". That's the rule you're looking for.

That's the one...thanks.

Douglas
2011-09-19, 08:14 AM
The big distinction to note here is that "full round action" and "1 round" are not the same thing. If something takes a full round action, you spend both your move and standard actions on it and it happens immediately during your turn. If something takes 1 round, you spend your actions on it and it happens at the start of your next turn. Only the "1 round" stuff gets the start-of-next-turn treatment.