PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Oracle: What's a Star Child?!?

Drelua
2011-09-18, 06:56 PM
I've never played a caster, and I'm trying to start now with an oracle in an upcoming gestalt game. I really liked the look of the heavens, but then I got to their capstone:
Final Revelation: Upon achieving 20th level, your rapport with the heavens grants you perfect harmony with the universe. You receive a bonus on all saving throws equal to your Charisma modifier. You automatically stabilize if you are below 0 hit points, are immune to fear effects, and automatically confirm all critical hits. Should you die, you are reborn 3 days later in the form of a star child, who matures over the course of 7 days (treat as the reincarnate spell).
What's a star child, and what do they mean you mature over the course of seven days? Do you start as a baby, then grow up really quickly with the negative levels from reincarnation? If so, where do you appear?

I googled it and couldn't find any answers, so am I missing something or is this stuff just up to the DM? Seems to me that a star child might just be fluff, but I can't find any explanation. :smallfurious:

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 07:33 PM
Searched the Paizo website for it, and the best I got was a forum thread there about the same question. Consensus was it's just a free Reincarnate spell with a weird duration and unexplained fluff. No developer/Paizo admin commentary on the thread, tho.

Drelua
2011-09-18, 07:37 PM
I was afraid of that. I guess I'll have to talk about the maturing-over-seven-days thing with my DM.

Ravens_cry
2011-09-18, 07:41 PM
When I think of Star Child, I think of this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_%28novel%29)
Unfortunately, I know of no statistics for such.

Jude_H
2011-09-18, 08:21 PM
I think it means to switch systems (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9036.phtml) and run with it.

navar100
2011-09-18, 09:23 PM
I thought it meant there was a "star child" creature or template in a bestiary book, perhaps yet to be published, which you become but as an NPC. You "died", so you have to make a new character, but your character is really still alive but transformed.

Drelua
2011-09-18, 09:32 PM
I thought it meant there was a "star child" creature or template in a bestiary book, perhaps yet to be published, which you become but as an NPC. You "died", so you have to make a new character, but your character is really still alive but transformed.

I figured there was a template somewhere too, but there isn't, and the APG came out quite a while ago, so if they did that it would probably be in the errata, but it isn't. Must be pure fluff that was just really badly explained.

JackRackham
2011-09-18, 09:43 PM
Pulling this out of my butt: A star child is not born to a human mother (you don't mature in a womb or pass through a vagina). I picture it as a beam of light out in the wilderness somewhere (born of the stars, under the stars, with the stars as the only witnesses...whatever) and a child/baby appearing (hopefully somewhere w/o wolves). You then grow to adult person size and maturity over seven days. That's my interpretation.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-09-19, 04:37 AM
You come back as a member of the rock band KISS?

Alternatively you appear as a half human-alien baby Starchild Skull (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starchild_skull)

Eldariel
2011-09-19, 04:52 AM
You probably turn blue and get a horn on your head.

Xtomjames
2011-09-19, 06:03 AM
A star-child isn't a race, rather it means you reincarnate back into yourself. You treat it as a reincarnate but with the specifics of being a "star child". You don't get to roll for which thing you reincarnate into.

It's sort of like the Star Archon reincarnating into a Shield Archon.

BlueInc
2011-09-19, 08:13 AM
Personally, I think it should resolve similar to Geno from Super Mario RPG.

However, they're probably referencing the tale of Desna (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Desna), a star goddess whose avatar fell to earth and was nursed by a blind human child.

Mustard
2011-09-19, 11:44 AM
I interpret it as just a fluff title.