PDA

View Full Version : Boots of Speed vs... ?

Icestorm245
2011-09-18, 07:32 PM
The title pretty much explains itself... I want to know if there is a better way to obtain haste without having an arcane spellcaster or cleric with the travel domain in the group. The character is fighter 6/rogue 2 going into an adapted Musketeer PrC from the D20 Past book.

Flickerdart
2011-09-18, 07:36 PM
If you're after the extra attack, a Speed weapon is a better investment (+3 bonus) because it doesn't run out.

There's also a Speed enhancement for armour (reverse-engineer it from the Mithral Full Plate of Speed) that works the same as the boots, but saves you a slot.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-18, 07:49 PM
There's also Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (Spell Compendium) for the extra attack if you have a regular Cleric.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-18, 07:53 PM
There's also Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (Spell Compendium) for the extra attack if you have a regular Cleric.

Question regarding that spell, say I cast it while 2 out of 4 allies are within the range of the spell. Next round, those 2 allies leave the area and the other 2 allies enter. Which allies gain the effects? The first 2, the second 2 or all 4?

Icestorm245
2011-09-18, 07:56 PM
Well that's a bit expensive, and we're playing in a campaign where money is not easily come by at all. My equipment right now is a shocking elven thinblade, +2 chain shirt (dex and int based fighter), and I just got enough money for the boots (6000), as opposed to the weapon, which is 18000. How would I go about reverse enginneering something?

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 07:57 PM
Which allies gain the effects?

Strictly speaking? None. The second 2 weren't in range at time of casting, which means they weren't Targets of the spell and cannot receive its benefits- all of the Targets have to be set when you cast it. The first 2 will benefit if they step back within range, because the spell is active on them, but because no spell effect can happen further away than the spell's Range they get no benefit if they wander too far away from you (many DMs will ignore this, because it is both a slightly obscure rule and because it prevents some spells from functioning how they were intended to because the writer forgot the rule too.)

How would I go about reverse enginneering something?

Subtract the cost of the standard properties, whatever's left must be the cost of the bit you're interested in. Mithral Full Plate costs 10,500 GP, +1 enhancement on armor is 1,000; therefore the 'of Speed' property on armor makes up the other 15,000. Then you have to get your DM to rule on whether that's a flat +GP cost or if it's a plus-equivalent- in this case, it could be either because that's the same price as a +3 property would have (and either way the Boots are cheaper.)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-18, 08:05 PM
Strictly speaking? None. The second 2 weren't in range at time of casting, which means they weren't Targets of the spell and cannot receive its benefits- all of the Targets have to be set when you cast it. The first 2 will benefit if they step back within range, because the spell is active on them, but because no spell effect can happen further away than the spell's Range they get no benefit if they wander too far away from you (many DMs will ignore this, because it is both a slightly obscure rule and because it prevents some spells from functioning how they were intended to because the writer forgot the rule too.)

Its a 30 ft. burst centered on you that auto-targets "allies". I forget where I read it, but you are counted as an "ally" for effects you create unless the effect specifically excludes yourself so casting it would give it to yourself automatically. I think it was somewhere in ToB with White Raven maneuvre's targeting allies saying you can target yourself as well.

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 08:12 PM
Its a 30 ft. burst centered on you that auto-targets "allies". I forget where I read it, but you are counted as an "ally" for effects you create unless the effect specifically excludes yourself so casting it would give it to yourself automatically. I think it was somewhere in ToB with White Raven maneuvre's targeting allies saying you can target yourself as well.

The targeting is only done once, when you cast it. If it was checked continuously, it wouldn't be a Targeted spell- it'd be written as an Emanation, centered on you, and the spell text itself would say something like "all allies within the area of this emanation gain (insert buffs here.)" Hence those 2 guys who were too far away at time of casting don't get the benefit, because they weren't valid targets at the time you chose the targets. And yes, you are your own ally (barring balance-rulings on certain effects), but that doesn't have any relevance to the question you asked.

Flickerdart
2011-09-18, 08:13 PM
How would I go about reverse enginneering something?
Look at the cost. A suit of plate is 1500, then 150 for masterwork, 9,000 for mithral, another 1,000 for +1. This together is 11,650, and the genuine article costs 26,500. Thus the property itself is a flat +14,850, as 15,850 doesn't match up to a +X modifier (though it IS pretty close).

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 08:13 PM
Look at the cost. A suit of plate is 1500, then 150 for masterwork, 9,000 for mithral, another 1,000 for +1. This together is 11,650, and the genuine article costs 26,500. Thus the property itself is a flat +14,850, as 15,850 doesn't match up to a +X modifier (though it IS pretty close).

Masterwork costs are subsumed in the cost of the special material.

Flickerdart
2011-09-18, 08:15 PM
Masterwork costs are subsumed in the cost of the special material.
They are? Derp. That makes it a +3 mod on the armour too (though that's still a whole lot cheaper than Speed).

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-18, 08:15 PM
The targeting is only done once, when you cast it. If it was checked continuously, it wouldn't be a Targeted spell- it'd be written as an Emanation, centered on you, and the spell text itself would say something like "all allies within the area of this emanation gain (insert buffs here.)" Hence those 2 guys who were too far away at time of casting don't get the benefit, because they weren't valid targets at the time you chose the targets. And yes, you are your own ally (barring balance-rulings on certain effects), but that doesn't have any relevance to the question you asked.

Oh no, I know but I read your post saying you wouldn't be included in the spells effect even though your in the effect area at casting. The rest of your response answered my question nicely.

Keld Denar
2011-09-18, 09:00 PM
MIC has a "speed" enchantment for armor as well. It function identical to that of Boots of Speed, just on a different slot and only 3/day. Its a flat +X gold, though, so it doesn't get rediculously expensive when you add other properties like the Speed weapon enhancement does.

deuxhero
2011-09-18, 09:05 PM
I want to know if there is a better way to obtain haste without having an arcane spellcaster or cleric with the travel domain in the group. .

Have a Bard or Archivist in the group!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-18, 09:28 PM
Have a Bard or Archivist in the group!

I think Bard fits the arcane caster part :smalltongue:

deuxhero
2011-09-18, 09:30 PM
Divine Bard :P

Steward
2011-09-18, 09:32 PM
If you're after the extra attack, a Speed weapon is a better investment (+3 bonus) because it doesn't run out.

Also, it isn't lime green.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-18, 09:34 PM
Divine Bard :P

..... well played sir... well played