PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Moments

DonutBoy12321
2011-09-18, 09:15 PM
What's the most memorable moment from one of your games? Be it the best quote, a hilarious argument, a battle gone wrong, or a moment that is simply epic, post it here.

Mine is when, in my D&D 3.5 game, the Knight's horse was slain in the middle of a huge battle, and the Druid wild shaped into a horse to be his mount.

PhallicWarrior
2011-09-21, 11:25 PM
Mine's probably from the tail end of a Mutants & Masterminds campaign I ran. The party consisted of a girl with multiple limbs and anatomic separation, so she could become a storm of body parts; a D&D-esque wizard unbound by spells-per-day (Read: EXTREMELY OP); and a rich guy who could make portals at reaction speed (Read: ALSO EXTREMELY OP). At the end of the campaign they wound up captured on an alien prisoner transport, with a universal power-dampener in effect. Now, without powers, the party consisted of: a guy in flowy robes that provided him no protection, a rich guy with no way to leverage his wealth, and a FORMER SWAT OFFICER IN PEAK PHYSICAL CONDITION. All campaign long, the other two party members had mocked her for her relative uselessness. So what was the first thing she did after waking up in a cell with the two of them and realizing no one's powers worked? She beat the bloody hell out of both of them, then proceeded to lead a prison riot and take over the ship.

thubby
2011-09-22, 02:08 AM
my namesake wielding the unconscious paladin to bludgeon a bunch of gnolls to death. we still talk about it.

Bearpunch
2011-09-22, 08:13 AM
I have a couple of moments, actually. One os more of an ongoing joke, however. My buddy recently started a Warforged character that is a jerk to the rest of the party and does nothing but sit there and whine. As you know, warforged have no nether-regions, so the entire party has begun calling him "no-****". Hilarity ensues.

My favorite moment ever, though, was the very first game I ever DMed, the players fought their first enemy: the great and mighty level 1 Kobold! Spooky...

Well, after an hour and a half of fighting the thing, the players capture it and attempt to find out what is going on. During this, our ranger shoots the kobold in the leg, and our cleric healed it, then our mage used burning hands on it they got the information they needed. The kobold of course dies.

Three adventures later, our mage dies and our ranger dies. The player of the mage drafts up a Wilden with some memories of Mindartis, the mage.

The player with the ranger... became a Kobold bard/invoker (Dont ask). He was killed in battle against an invading party of a Cleric, a Mage, and a Ranger... but a god of the dead brought him back for a task. So now we have a cleric in the same party of the kobold he tortured earlier. Gold.

Mindartis
2011-09-22, 11:53 AM
One of my most memorable moments came from the first couple of games I played. I was a mage, and I wasn't known for doing well on my Athletics checks. So, a Bugbear stole our stuff. We chased after it. I rolled a 1, fell behind the party quite a bit. The bugbear climbed a cliff, and I rolled (not a 1, but nothing great) allowing me to catch up to the party, rather winded, and climbed the mountain after it. Then there was a log in our path. In an attempt to jump over it, I rolled another 1. I tripped over the log, landed in ****, and passed out. It is still talked about to this day.

Tl;Dr
Don't rely on Mages to do Athletics checks. You might end up unconcious in a pile of ****.

Obrysii
2011-09-23, 10:45 AM
We were playing a gestalt Eberron game, with the DM compensating for our greater strength with enhanced NPCs. We were captured by a sorceress and taken prisoner aboard an airship. I was playing a werebear monk, and I managed to punch a hole in the wooden hull. I was told not to do that by unnerved guards.

When the battle started outside, my werebear morphed into hybrid form, ripped his way through the cell's wooden bars and went atop with his party mates. When the sorceress flew beneath the ship, my character promptly jumped off the side and climbed down the wooden hull, making crazy climb checks and a few damage checks to dig his claws into the hull to stay safe.

Later, fighting a vampire, the necropolitan member of the party "played dead" to get the vampire off of him. The bluff succeeded - against my werebear, who promptly "raged" against the vampire. I scored very high rolls and ended up taking the vampire out in a single round of roleplay induced awesome.

--

Another game we played was an evil "loser" party of monsters ... a kobold, a bullywug, a shifter, etc. I had the bullywug, and at level 8 managed to have 145hp, more than twice that of any other party member and four times that of the party rogue. We found ourselves in a tournament, and the kobold (a wilder) quickly became the fan-favorite. He was named the Kobold King and had quite a posse of fans following him around. He got away with so much murder...

And once my Talon of Tiamat bullywug (named Ravi Ollie) breath-weaponed a pixie that was just trying to play pranks on us ... she had 4hp and he did 16 acid damage. The poor DM was laughing so sadly about that.

Mindartis
2011-09-25, 03:41 PM
I just DM'd another adventure this weekend, so I have a good one. All of these revolve around one specific thing, so Ill just leave it short and sweet.

While in a dungeon/cave, the PC's discover a secret door. Our monk manages to punch the exact right spot, and opened the door. After doing a couple of perception and arcana checks, they decide to enter. And the door swings closed on them, locking them inside. They light their torch, and the monk does a perception check on the dead adventurers that are found inside. He rolls, and for ****s and giggles i say he finds a dead cat along with the loot. He decided to take it. Later on, while looting either a desk or a dead body, He finds a scroll of revival... and uses it on the cat. however, it fizzled out, and the cat is half-alive. He can't use his hind legs. So then the monk makes a kitty wheelchair for said cat. I don't know how this all went down, but it was hilarious, and I felt like sharing the story of Gimpy (the cat) with you guys. The cat nearly died several times, in hilarious and critical miss ways.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-09-26, 04:13 AM
Euh, haven't played any D&D in a bit, but I can give you some from yesterday?

Being called a gentleman because you didn't grab a woman by the boobs.
&
Being slapped with a Ipad.

polity4life
2011-09-29, 01:20 PM
It was a 4.0 campaign that closed up about a year ago. It was Act II of a three act campaign and I hopped into the group, making a sword-and-axe fighter defender/survival build that had to eschew great damaging/marking abilities for abilities that caused either damage reduction or healing. Why? The DM denied us a cleric. I could have made some other leader type with healing but the cleric is really best and the party lacked a defender. So I needed abilities that caused the most healing in one turn or maintained healing over time. Another player hopped in at the same time, making a mage. Also, resurrection was not allowed; you die and you're out.

The background of my character was largely laid out by the DM as he had to fit me half-way into the story. Long story short, this fallen divine entity, the Oracle, who became too attached to the happenings of the world was calling a small band of professional adventurers to combat the coming evil. This entity led the main party, who played Act I, to glory. Conversely, my mostly NPC party was wiped out, including my story-related love interest, leaving myself and the other PC who joined the sole survivors. We were literally sent to the void and back for nothing and the divine entity "released us" from our quest without any explanation or closure. My fighter and the mage went back to our hometown to tell the families of our dead friends of their fate. One of our companions was ridiculously rich and unmarried. He named all of his traveling party beneficiaries of his estate, estimated somewhere around 30,000 platinum. We had every incentive to lay down our arms and just enjoy the sweet life but we were too bitter and angry to let things lie as they were. We scoured the continent to find clues to answer questions: why were we left out? What happened after the Oracle left us? Why did this have to happen?

We eventually meet up with the Act I PC party, the heroes who slew the evil plaguing our collective homeland. They never lost touch of the Oracle, so the mage and I were pretty unhappy with them when we were forced to sail to the "lost continent". In fact, during combat, I would always prioritize protecting the mage over everyone else; she was the only person who understood how my character felt and the only friend I had left. My character, as I said, was bitter, angry, and at this point prone to bouts of rage. He killed over minor things simply because he couldn't cope. Eventually, he reaches some sort of epiphany and asks himself, "Would my love interest want me this way?" While on the adventures with the party, he tries to gather information about her god. Some artifacts and books remain and eventually he becomes a paladin through a ritual, speaking directly with her god as he is almost forgotten in this land. (Yes, I know the combo is very sub optimal but it worked well for story purposes). My character also thought that by doing this he would come closer to his lost love. She would occasionally talk to the other characters though some weird means but never to mine.

The DM messed around with some of the item rules and considered my shield a weapon instead of an arm-slot item for enchantment and I made it my holy avenger. Anyway...the story that brings me to the moment.

The story ultimately culminated to us having to fight Orcus, who had obscured an entire continent of the world as he built a power base to become a god. We eventually found him in league with Asmodeous. Orcus controlled the continent by literally sapping the essence out of seven elements and putting all of that power into seven individuals, known as Pillars. This affected everything about the world; people were sickly, crops didn't grow, and it affected what we gained when we leveled! Only after killing a Pillar did we reap what we were owed for adventuring. Anyway, after disposing of all of the Pillars, raising an army to attack Orcus' fortified palace in the capital, we had to fight him. The DM gimped him a bit though, saying that Asmodeous stole some of his power in order to make the fight difficult for Orcus.

The fight went on for two or so hours. Everyone but inept rogue was down. Orcus wailed on me for nearly 1,000 damage, targeting me because my holy avenger shield was beating him something fierce (the DM gave me a huge bonus to hit and a multiplier to damage). I rolled my nat 20 during my death saves and got back up. On my last attack, the DM described it as follows:

"You stagger to your feet, barely able to keep yourself up. Your wounds are great and your opponent is still standing, daunting and terrible. You charge at the beast and swing your shield arm at him as hard as you can. Holy energy clashes with a wall of pure evil energy. You push as hard as you can, and just as you are about to give, a bright light shines to your right. You see a slender, feminine hand reach out and lay on your forearm and you hear her voice, "I'm with you". Without a moment's notice, your shield bursts through the barrier of evil energy and strikes your foe..."

Aaaand then Orcus went to 0 HP. When he does in 4.0, he explodes. The DM rolled a nat 20 and literally destroyed everything about my character, save for the shield.

Yeah, best D&D moment ever. Sorry for the long read. And the reason I have that text about my last attack was that the DM saved everything in order to make a game or a novel. We're working on the former in RPG maker.

Edit: Way too much pronoun confusion for my taste. Cleaned up some.

Bearpunch
2011-09-29, 01:41 PM
That is ****ing awesome.

That is all.

RandomNPC
2011-10-03, 05:34 PM
I had the party meet a female town guard captain, and the good aligned dread pirate starts in with the sarcastic OOC "Hey baby" comments.

There was then a five minuet discussion about how a paladin has a vow of chastity and wouldn't be interested in him.

He responded throughout with valid points, like not all town guards are paladins, paladins don't have to take vows of chastity, and for all we know this lady never took any vows what-so-ever.

It took a little over five minuets and as DM I just sat there and watched, it was great.