PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Conundrum - Temple Trials

Talonblaze
2011-09-19, 01:15 AM
So I invented this god called Sole, whom is renown for the power of the 7 sins. Greed, Sloth, Envy, Wrath, Pride, Glutton and Lust. (Dunno if such a god already exists.)

Now, in order to obtain one of their main plot quest objectives they all need to pass the test for each and every one of these trails to get it.

However my problem is, how do I actually make these trails challenging? My players are rather intellectual and most things involving role play scenario cases are easily workable to them with their set goals and ideals.

I noticed the ones they could pass easily through simply outright refusal is Greed, Lust and Gluttony, while the Wrath, Pride and Envy can be outright ignored to a degree to pass.

So I'm curious if anyone had any solid ideas that would prevent a veteran player from simply walking away from the challenges presented? I'm against forcing them to act in manners their characters wouldn't in order to make the challenge interesting since the trial is meant to be on their free will. Some of the characters are a bit bound by one or two of the trials and might have some difficulty, but past that its a breeze for them. Trying to also avoid the cliche scenarios as well, since overall so far this has been too easy.

My biggest nemesis characters for these are Rangers, Paladins, Monks and just about any Good oriented class/character.

Darrin
2011-09-19, 07:00 AM
I noticed the ones they could pass easily through simply outright refusal is Greed, Lust and Gluttony, while the Wrath, Pride and Envy can be outright ignored to a degree to pass.

I'm not clear on what you're trying to test. Are the PCs trying to prove that they can *resist* these temptations, or are they trying to prove to Sole that they are more super-extra-doubly-sinful than the average shmoe?

Talonblaze
2011-09-19, 07:59 AM
I'm not clear on what you're trying to test. Are the PCs trying to prove that they can *resist* these temptations, or are they trying to prove to Sole that they are more super-extra-doubly-sinful than the average shmoe?

Er.. Sorry if it wasn't clear. Resisting such. Those who give in to such temptations usually become disciples of Sole instead or fall prey tot he trials and never come out.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-09-19, 08:32 AM
This is tricky, the trials need to be presented in a way that is passable by all of the PCs but not made trivial.

Greed could be something along the line of sacrificing an item or valuables worth X amount (they could get them back later depending on how generous you are)

Gluttony could involve them having to eat/drink just the right amount of something, perhaps a magical fruit that increases strength where they need exactly x strength to bypass a particular obstacle.

Wrath could be a big scary nasty monster where the only winning move is to not play.

A lot of these depend on your PCs and their backgrounds, could you give a brief summary of each of them?

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-19, 08:55 AM
There was a stargate episode about this. I like they way they did it.

Greed - Traped treasure chests. Something that summons a monster that can be avoided if they ignore the chest. Put it all throughout the dungeon tucked into the corners of rooms. Let the PC's spot it with a DC 15 spot check. The first one they think "this is a trap". After they spot it the third or fourth time they may start to wonder "are ALL the chests a trap, or are these just hidden treasure to help us along?"

- edit - better yet, disease. Now detect poision isn't an easy answer. Gestation period 5 min, they take 1d8 damage. Don't tell them they are diseased, just that thier gut wrenches and they take damage. For DC 15 to get rid of it based on the normal disease rules. If they return to the fountain to heal that damage then they just make it worse!

Sloth - There is a monster that guards a door. It asks "Do you wish to fight me, or pass?" if they choose to face it they get it's gem that prevents the statues in the next room from comeing alive.

Wrath - There is a small golem holding a switch looking down the hallway. It doesn't apear to see them. If they anounce themselves it waves and pulls the switch opening the door for them, thanking them for thier mind still open to peace. If they kill it the alarm goes off and big golems enter the room and try to kill them.

Lust - Sucubuses. Several of them. They get to save them as damsels and then they all get charmed.

Pride - A door asks who would enter. Any party worth thier salt will anounce themselves grandly. If they do - golems attack!

Glotony - Don't know, poison maybe. They are offered a fountain with a sign that says "to fill you up" that will heal thier wounds, but it has a delayed poision in it for con damage. Initial effect - heal 1d8 damage. Secondary effect 1d4 con damage 10 rounds later. There are 12 bottles next to the fountain that they can fill and take with them.

Envy - they come to a room with golems that fight eachother. One of the golems carries a powerfuly enchanted sword. After the fight the golems go inert, and the sword looks like you can just take it. If you do the remaining golems come to life and attack you, including the one with the sword.

BlueInc
2011-09-19, 10:05 AM
How much have the players done before this encounter in your campaign? I assume you know your players pretty well.

Try to focus your efforts on making things that will be challenging to specific players; a possibility would be to make the dungeons make enchantment/illusion spells designed to provoke each sin in people. If one of your players/characters is a kleptomaniac, then greed could potentially be a tough one for your players. If one of your players/characters is a "HULK SMASH" kind of guy, then wrath might be a toughie.

If you can get a hold of it, try reading Sins of the Saviors (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/adventurePath/riseOfTheRunelords/v5748btpy815p), a dungeon based on a few of the seven deadly sins; it'll give you some good ideas to play with. In the Pathfinder campaign world, each sin is matched up with a school of magic, which you can read more about here (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Runelord).

only1doug
2011-09-19, 03:40 PM
My suggestion, it will need some work to flesh it out.

The Trials of Sin.

One dungeon, a maze.

During the maze the PCs will be forced to face the trials to progress toward the exit.

Lust: - a scantily clad atttractive person (i don't say girl, this depends on party members particular desires) needs assistance that involves prolonged bodily contact (carry across stream or similar). failure to assist the person is sloth. Lewd remarks (in or out of character(gods can hear your thoughts, OOC remarks can be deemed to be thoughts)) is lust. Remarks made awhile afterwards still count (Lust or Wrath).

Pride: I don't need anything from the dungeon. - The Dungeon will not be able to be completed without using at least one item from within.

Greed: I need everything from the dungeon. - Taking everything that is encountered will prevent the dungeon from being completable.

Sloth: let someone else do it. - Only the party members who actively help solve the maze can progress out of it.

Envy: why should he have that?- an item required to progress through the dungeon should offer major advantage to several party members, the method of choosing who gets it has bearing on the outcome.

Wrath: bearing a grudge. - if at any point a party member shows signs of bearing a grudge where justice has already been served (or now injustice was present) they have failed by wrath.

Gluttony: comes in 6 forms- a meal is served and must be consumed: Avoiding eating is Sloth. Each Dish eaten will grant a benefit to the character who consumes it. (eating too many is greed and or gluttony). Eating too daintily or too eagerly are also gluttony.
Each Party member should consume 1 starter, 1 main course and 1 pudding dish, then make conversation around the table. eating either more or less is a failure of this test. some of the courses offered should be great delicacies costing a lot to create, eating these is also a failure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins#Gluttony

Talonblaze
2011-09-19, 08:01 PM
Well the group consists of a Paladin, Ranger, Monk, Wizard, Druid and Rogue. (Yes fairly large party.)

Most of them are Neutral to Good in overall alignment.
The Ranger, Wizard and Rogue are the most notable of the issues since they are the neutrals. None of them value gold, treasure, ego, or anything else. They are generally stotic characters where they take no relations to beauty, do not consume food needlessly and overall are quick to preform their tasks as fast as possible to move ahead in the best fashion possible.

The group is overall well synced and even grouping them together or set against with the trails to them would yield zero results. If anything it would only benefit them as they can aid each other to overcome any weaknesses they do have. The party knows not to touch anything they know might be a trap, but aren't shy about checking and taking items that may be of use. Being aware of the greed they will avoid taking everything. Envy is also redundant as instead of voicing who has the better gear, they work more on team optimization. They work too well together.

They are all basically Chasity bound and they will attack to defend themselves and they most likely expect it.

The Paladin is the only one who might be susceptible to Pride, but thats about it. Most of them turn the other cheek to wrath.

So I'd definitely want to avoid a repeat performance as this is exactly what seems to occur through these trials. As the temptation methods are the easiest to avoid and the others are covered by their blunt personalities.

Pretty generalized, but this is unfortunately what I have to work with.

BlueInc
2011-09-19, 08:16 PM
Most of them are Neutral to Good in overall alignment.

Throw the idea on its head? Maybe the only people who can make it through the trials are those who succumb to temptation (or find a creative way to get around the requirement).

So, for Wrath, you have to kill someone for little to nothing. For Pride, you have to be able to turn yourself into a golden statue (or something). For Gluttony, you have to eat an enormous amount by taking it from others. For Lust, you have to...befriend...a succubus. Sole thinks that the only way to make it through the trials is to be as hedonistic as he is, but the party finds ways to master their desires and complete the trials in other ways.

Talonblaze
2011-09-19, 08:39 PM
Throw the idea on its head? Maybe the only people who can make it through the trials are those who succumb to temptation (or find a creative way to get around the requirement).

So, for Wrath, you have to kill someone for little to nothing. For Pride, you have to be able to turn yourself into a golden statue (or something). For Gluttony, you have to eat an enormous amount by taking it from others. For Lust, you have to...befriend...a succubus. Sole thinks that the only way to make it through the trials is to be as hedonistic as he is, but the party finds ways to master their desires and complete the trials in other ways.

Hrm, never thought of doing it in that fashion, but does present alignment problems especially for the paladin since there is almost no way they can still remain a paladin if they follow through all 7 in most cases like so. Trying to make it a tad fair. Past that, it could probably work for the other characters since I never made it a requirement, but definitely makes sense.

deuxhero
2011-09-19, 09:05 PM
Temple Trials? Don't forget the stone statue of a head with a permanent magic mouth!

BlueInc
2011-09-19, 09:31 PM
Hrm, never thought of doing it in that fashion, but does present alignment problems especially for the paladin since there is almost no way they can still remain a paladin if they follow through all 7 in most cases like so. Trying to make it a tad fair. Past that, it could probably work for the other characters since I never made it a requirement, but definitely makes sense.

Well, the idea is that the players will find another way to defeat it, so you'll need to make the requirements a bit flexible.