PDA

View Full Version : Forest Gnomes and Forest Animals? (3.5)

Coidzor
2011-09-19, 04:38 AM
So, I was looking at the forest gnome after getting reincarnated into one, and I was kinda wondering about the bit where they can talk to forest animals. The DM has currently ruled that I can get the language despite not being born one, as of now.

However there's a question as to just what that means I can talk to... whether that's just animals that one would expect to live in a forest/have it as their environment tag, even if they were not living in one (say, wolves or deer that are from the plains); animals that are essentially the same as animals with the forest environment tag as in the whole wolf vs. dog vs. coyote thing, animals with the forest tag for their environment, or animals that reside/were raised in/have adapted to residing in a forest even if they lack that environmental qualifier?

Feytalist
2011-09-19, 04:50 AM
The simplest way to rule this would be:

IF you are currently in a forest and

IF the target animal is currently in the same forest and

IF said target animal has forest as its environment

THEREFORE you can communicate with said animal.

Something like that. But there are other ways to rule it as well, I imagine.

Coidzor
2011-09-19, 04:54 AM
The simplest way to rule this would be:

IF you are currently in a forest and

IF the target animal is currently in the same forest and

IF said target animal has forest as its environment

THEREFORE you can communicate with said animal.

Something like that. But there are other ways to rule it as well, I imagine.

If by simplest you mean the most actively hostile and antagonistic to me as a player, yes.

Feytalist
2011-09-19, 04:59 AM
If by simplest you mean the most actively hostile and antagonistic to me, yes.

Of course. What else could I mean? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, it was meant for a race who is assumed to stay their whole life within the same forest. It's like a normal gnome's speak with burrowing animals, really.

Just make it a speak with animals for any animal with forest in its environment tag and go nuts.