PDA

View Full Version : Animal -> Magical Beast type Templates, The Search

Morph Bark
2011-09-19, 06:51 AM
I'm looking for official templates that turn an Animal-typed creature into one of the Magical Beast type. There are a lot of templates that change a creature into an Outsider or Undead, or a bunch with Intelligence boosts that don't work on Animals, but those obviously don't work in this case.

So if I could get a little help finding them all (Dragon-material excluded), that'd be awesome. :smallsmile:

EDIT: A little listing.

MM: Celestial and Fiendish
MMII: Chimeric
MMIII: None
MMIV: None
MMV: None
MoF: None
PlanHB: Anarchic and Axiomatic
Draconomicon: Draconic
SS: Monstrous Beast, Multi-headed and Winged

kestrel404
2011-09-19, 07:35 AM
Celestial/Fiendish are the simplest - they're in the SRD. Animals do not become outsiders, they become magical beasts when this template is applied.

Draconic (Races of the dragon? or dragon magic, I can't recall) - it just means that the creature has a half-dragon as an ancestor.

Anarchic 'unfinished' (Planar handbook 108) - creature becomes extraplanar, but animals become magical beasts instead of outsiders. There is an equivalent Axiomatic template (PL111)

And there are several more from dragon magazine.

For a full list, check out Chet Erez's templates list - Crystal Keep doesn't host the PDF anymore, but if you google around you can still find a copy.

Runestar
2011-09-19, 09:12 AM
Awakened animals have their type changed to magical beast, IIRC.

Mr.Smashy
2011-09-19, 10:09 AM
Awakened animals have their type changed to magical beast, IIRC.

You are correct. Keep in mind that awakened animals cannot serve as AC's or Familiars.

Morph Bark
2011-09-19, 10:44 AM
Celestial/Fiendish are the simplest - they're in the SRD. Animals do not become outsiders, they become magical beasts when this template is applied.

Anarchic 'unfinished' (Planar handbook 108) - creature becomes extraplanar, but animals become magical beasts instead of outsiders. There is an equivalent Axiomatic template (PL111)

"Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged."

Huh, y'know, I keep forgetting that a lot of templates that don't change type for higher-grade monsters or PCs can sometimes do that with animals. Thanks for the reminder.

Draconic (Races of the dragon? or dragon magic, I can't recall) - it just means that the creature has a half-dragon as an ancestor.

Draconomicon actually, and I see it has the same clause as Celestial.

Looking through the MM, Celestial and Fiendish indeed are the only ones in there.

JaronK
2011-09-19, 10:46 AM
Shadow template does it too.

JaronK

Coidzor
2011-09-19, 01:08 PM
Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm). Might be some other psionic templates.

Morph Bark
2011-09-20, 02:42 PM
Shadow template does it too.

JaronK

What book is that from?

kestrel404
2011-09-20, 02:55 PM
What book is that from?

Tome of magic.

Morph Bark
2011-09-20, 05:18 PM
Tome of magic.

It's not. You're confusing it with the Dark template. There is no Shadow template in Tome of Magic.

mootoall
2011-09-20, 05:36 PM
It's not. You're confusing it with the Dark template. There is no Shadow template in Tome of Magic.

Planar Handbook, I think? It's the more powerful, +2 LA version of Dark. Can't remember if that book is right though ...

Coidzor
2011-09-22, 06:18 PM
Googling has pointed at Manual of the Planes as the originator of Shadow template and Lords of Madness as where it was updated to 3.5.