PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Quick Alchemist Question

Zarin
2011-09-19, 09:33 AM
Running a level 1 mindchemist in a campaign, and I'm wondering if I've figured this correctly.

Normally my alchemist has two extract slots per day, say I quaff an Int. cognatogen giving me a significant Int. boost and allowing me two more extracts that day, if I take a minute a piece to mix up two more extracts do I retain them after the cognatogen wears off?

kestrel404
2011-09-19, 10:45 AM
An alchemist can create only a certain number of extracts of each level per day. His base daily allotment of extracts is given on Table: Alchemist. In addition, he receives bonus extracts per day if he has a high Intelligence score, in the same way a wizard receives bonus spells per day. When an alchemist mixes an extract, he infuses the chemicals and reagents in the extract with magic siphoned from his own magical aura. An extract immediately becomes inert if it leaves the alchemist’s possession, reactivating as soon as it returns to his keeping—an alchemist cannot normally pass out his extracts for allies to use (but see the “infusion” discovery below). An extract, once created, remains potent for 1 day before becoming inert, so an alchemist must re-prepare his extracts every day. Mixing an extract takes 1 minute of work—most alchemists prepare many extracts at the start of the day or just before going on an adventure, but it’s not uncommon for an alchemist to keep some (or even all) of his daily extract slots open so that he can prepare extracts in the field as needed.

I can see no reason at all why you would not be able to prepare the additional extracts you would gain based off of an enhanced intelligence score, and as the bold text above indicates, they would remain potent for 24 hours after (regardless of how your intelligence changed). After the intelligence boost wears off, you would of course be unable to prepare those 'extra' extracts, but while you have the higher intelligence I see nothing stopping you from making up your new extracts.

The nice thing about this is that you would be able to do this in the field - since you can prepare additional extracts at any time, if you run into a situation where you've used up all your 4th level extracts (for example), but then boost your intelligence to gain an additional 4th level extract per day, then you can quickly prepare the extract you require.

Hope that helps.

Drothmal
2011-09-19, 12:39 PM
I am not sure about this, but my understanding is that all boosts to the casting stat need to be in place for at least 24 hours before they can grant the extra spells.

That's one of the reasons that Aspect of the Crone (for witches) is not the most broken ability ever (free +4 INT enhancement)

my 2cp

GoatToucher
2011-09-19, 04:26 PM
I am not sure about this, but my understanding is that all boosts to the casting stat need to be in place for at least 24 hours before they can grant the extra spells.

That's one of the reasons that Aspect of the Crone (for witches) is not the most broken ability ever (free +4 INT enhancement)

my 2cp

This. It works that way for items that lend abilities on a semi-permanent basis. I see no reason why it would be any different with alchemy. the intelligence boost, WOULD, however, increase your bomb bonus damage.

Starbuck_II
2011-09-19, 05:03 PM
Running a level 1 mindchemist in a campaign, and I'm wondering if I've figured this correctly.

Normally my alchemist has two extract slots per day, say I quaff an Int. cognatogen giving me a significant Int. boost and allowing me two more extracts that day, if I take a minute a piece to mix up two more extracts do I retain them after the cognatogen wears off?

It would only improve # of bombs, not spells.