PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a name!

Mikka
2011-09-19, 10:41 AM
So, hi there world-builders. I am really bad.. or at least.. really really really slow with names. So i was hoping i could get some ideas or inspiration from you guys for the name of the world i'm writing on here : )

Heres what i've done so far:

Map:
http://i.imm.io/9kFA.jpeg

Savonia

http://i.imm.io/9kBv.jpeg

Noble, Honorable and Piteous the Savony people are the height of human culture. Or at least, thats what the nobles and royal line of the country claim but the truth is the Savony are as cunning and calculating as any others if not more.
The kingdom is utterly feudal and controlled in an irongrip by the current king Guillaume IV. The vast majority of the population are barely more than slaves, serfs bound to their farmsteads and practically owned by the nobles that receive the fruit of their labour. A small part of the population are free folk. Craftsmen, artists, merchants and more who probably only exist because the nobility do need someone to provide them with the luxuries that mere serfs couldn't supply.

They would have people believe that their standing army consists only of their glorious knights, but the truth is that they are backed up by a vast number of common troops. Hunters and poachers of the kings decree act as scouts throughout the forests and as expert archer on the battlefield and while their massed ranks of unarmored infantry are less skilled their sheer numbers make up for it.

Grimståd

http://i.imm.io/9kBx.jpeg

The only human nation of XXX that retained its independence during the reign of YYY the Grimståd people, or the Grim as southerners call them do live up to their names. Fierce warriors nearly one and all, the Grim are a free people who are ruled by their Warchiefs and clanleaders through respect and ability rather than blood. They have ever been content to stay in their frozen north despite the fact that they are probably the only people with the capability and power to bring together the human nations to their former glory. Their martial prowess comes from an eternal struggle with the foulbloods coming down the mountains in the winter when food gets scarce and so every man and woman holds farmers tools, and fishing nets in the summer and swords, spears and axes in the bitter nights of winter. They are the only human nation where women and men stands as equals.

The Forestkith

http://i.imm.io/9kCx.jpeg

Unconcerned and indifferent to the warring politics of the mortal races the forestkin are still a major power to be reckoned with despite their seclusion. Anarchistic and not truely a nation the many different races of the wilds of the east and south consists of many elder races that perhaps once ruled the land long before the first humans arrived. Little is known of them save perhaps the common childrens rhyme that "No two kith are the same by far, and yet they are"

Their logic is something few can relate to and many still meet their makers in the hands or claws of the forestkith without ever knowing what they did to anger them and so, many thread warily if at all in the eldritch forests of the old ones. They are, unlike their name implies, not at all limited to the forests and are also found in lakes and rivers and on the Vaerran Steppes.

The Warring States

http://i.imm.io/9kEN.jpeg

Royce, Garran and Vestinia are named after three of the four heirs of the great XXX who after his death each forged their own territory out of the dying empire. In their lifetimes the once stable lands became a theatre of conflict between siblings with all too much power in their hands and only a few generations after their deaths not even their separate kingdoms could hold the test of time and the territories are now a chaotic group of independent citystates, villages, warlords territories and bandit lands that change as often as the wind. Only power rules the warring states, and like the Grim often say "Theres always a bigger beast"

Thingöll

http://i.imm.io/9kNC.jpeg

Inhabitated by the Austere and elder race of the High Folk Thingöll is a beautiful unmarred land. Due to their long lifetimes and their ascetic culture the High Folk do not pursue materials gains and thus the lands surrounding their efficient and hard cities are full of ancient trees and unbroken fields of wild growth, lush forests and rivers full of life that is more than enough to sustain the small population of the tall people. Then name Thingöll is said to mean Gateland in the High tongue but if there is a gate somewhere, even the guardians themselves have forgotten where it is.

High Folk Race

........................ High Folk

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2008/147/reviews/520538_20080527_embed002.jpg

Medium: As Medium creatures, High folk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Speed: High Folk base movement speed is 40 ft.

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma and another +2 to any single ability score.

Weapon Familiarity: High Folk may treat Crescent Axes and Mercurial Weapons as martial weapons, rather than exotic.

Grace: This ability grants a High One a +2 racial bonus to all Strength and Dexterity based checks. Furthermore, High Folk get an additional +2 AC bonus when using defensive fighting, total defence or combat expertise.

+2 racial bonus on Survival checks.

Automatic Languages: High Tongue

Favored Class: Fighter

Level Adjustment: +2

Crescent Axe
1d10 , 19-20/x3. Two-Handed, Tripping

Ninjadeadbeard
2011-09-19, 01:48 PM
This is a really epic setting. You've obviously put thought into this.

You gotta figure that the world would be named for either what it's made of (ie: Earth is made of earth) or its celestial position (Midgard, or Middle-Earth is between two realms). That's a good place to start.

Following the first example: Alterra (all land, essentially)
The second: Atanua (from the latin Ante Ianuam, or Before the Gate, considering the High Folk are probably old enough to have influenced human language development)

Hope this helps.:smallsmile:

Mikka
2011-09-19, 02:36 PM
This is a really epic setting. You've obviously put thought into this.

You gotta figure that the world would be named for either what it's made of (ie: Earth is made of earth) or its celestial position (Midgard, or Middle-Earth is between two realms). That's a good place to start.

Following the first example: Alterra (all land, essentially)
The second: Atanua (from the latin Ante Ianuam, or Before the Gate, considering the High Folk are probably old enough to have influenced human language development)

Hope this helps.:smallsmile:

Thanks.

Hmm, regarding the names they just sound like i've heard them before you know? So im leaning either towards just some obscure but coolsounding name or something that is related to the land itself..

thats when i thought of this!

Hmm.. since the place has been settled it was necessarily named by the new human settlers.. who named it.. Farland.. only over time as they lost touch with the humans the name Farland was, as a joke as first, exchanged with Near because now it was their long forgotten homelands that were far away while this.. is quite Near.

This also has the cool added impact that foreigners who come might still call the lands Farland, making them instantly recognizable as outlanders and adding just another little aspect that makes the world more detailed and real :

Near
http://i.imm.io/9mfC.jpeg

What do you think? :O

Ninjadeadbeard
2011-09-19, 04:12 PM
Oh, that's pretty clever! Never would have thought of it myself.

Anything else you needed help with?

Mikka
2011-09-19, 05:28 PM
Empire of Man and High King Callor

http://i.imm.io/9mwU.jpeg

The first settlers arrived that arrived in the new lands they dubbed Farland hundreds of years ago found an unspoiled bountiful land. Settlements turned into villages which in turn grew into towns and took on more stable forms. Communities were formed and explorers ventured deeper inland. Some discovering the High Folk to the north were while others were the unfortunate ones to make the first deadly contact with the forestkith. Monsters and beasts were driven north, east and south, away from the ever expanding human territories until most of the original inhuman inhabitants were as good as gone.

Between new settlers and the growth of the existing townsteads populations grew eksponentially while territorial growth was halted by the Forestkin in the east and the High Folk in the north. This resulted in fierce competition for land. Rivalries rose and squabbles turned into fights which in turn excalated into skirmishes and raids. Each community was suddenly fending for their own survival, alliances rose and fell, new ones were created only to fall to betrayal again. The only relatively peaceful lands were to the north in the current Grimståd, who'se lands were harsh enough to ward of all but the first settlers who had adapted. For nearly three generations this went on until the first Warlord Jarna carved out a kingdom for himself which brought about a short but peaceful period to the lands. Jarna however was a warlord not a ruler. He had created a kingdom but didn't have the will or ability to bring about proper peace and prosperity. When he died in a hunting accident it brought about a brief stretch of rebellions, outbreaks and claims of independence which were quickly and brutally cut down by Jarnas former Warchief Callor. He had quickly seized control of the majority of the armies and in a few years he had subjected all but Grimståd under him.

During the reign of High King Callor there was peace from the Stonekrag mountains to the southern glades of the kith. No man was above the law and even the lowliest peasant had the right to a fair trial. Trade flourished both in the empire and with the trading ships from the western sea. In return for rare gifts from the faraway homeland, the High Folk forged a gleaming blade and crown of the purest gold, said to be so bright it blinded any sinful man who looked upon it as he sat on his throne at in the capital at the foot of mount Garran. Somehow a pact was forged with the Forestkin and people could walk the forests without fear. The one fault in his rule was made in his deathbed, where he failed to appoint an heir.

http://i.imm.io/9mwr.jpeg

Leaving the empire in the hands of his four children is the one thing all historians agree upon who, his final and worst error. Each powerhungry and lacking their sires wisdom laid their own claim to the throne. Garran took the capital, Vestinia the bountiful lands to the south while Royce and Borond each fought for the north. Borond who pressed on his struggle with his brother despite the dwindling odds was murdered by his own commanders, who lead their remaining armies north where they founded Savonia. Meanwhile, Garrans powerhungry siblings each laid siege to the Capital Redstone in their greed for the golden crown and sword. Redstone was destroyed and nearly turned to rubble, Garran killed during a breach but the relics of the High King were never found. Both Vestinias and Royces forces bruised and battered withdrew to their domains, sister and brother sacrificing countless of lives in a decade long war for control of a kingdom that was no more. They both died of old age, never managing more than pushing their borders a few miles to the north or south.

Dark Kerman
2011-10-07, 04:44 PM
You could name the mountain range of Grimstad the World-Serpent's Tail. (You may want to develop your own world serpent god) Oh, and what did you use to make the map itself?