PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Content 4: Attack of the 60-Inch AnthroPC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

John Cribati
2011-09-19, 07:12 PM
A continuation of the threads for Questionable Content (http://questionablecontent.net/), a M-F "slice of life" comic in which life is defined by coffee, robots, Butts Disease (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2016), and spontaneous metal interludes (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=666).

You have been warned.

Links To The Past
Questionable Content 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140480)
Questionable Content 2: Espresso With Extra Scorn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176418)
Questionable Content 3: Ironically Quite Popular (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194380)

Turalisj
2011-09-19, 07:14 PM
The imperial system of measurement wins again!

John Cribati
2011-09-19, 07:17 PM
But on today's comic... what is so interesting about men's behinds? Is it just because I'm a heterosexual male that I don't see any appeal in them? (opposed to female ones)

I've always found it kind of funny how everyone accepts sexualisation of females ("yay, Faye butt!"), but whenever male attractiveness is mentioned, someone always becomes confused and/or uncomfortable.

Meh. I'm generally confused about the fixation on behinds in general. I mean... we all know what comes out of there, right?

As odd as this sounds, my fixation on the female behind is on a purely mechanical level. Like, the hip sway does this thing where the left cheek goes clockwise and the right goes counterclockwise.

Coidzor
2011-09-19, 10:10 PM
^: Yeah, I never really understood how the heck the physics on that worked. Made me psyduck on more than one occasion in my physics and anatomy classes growing up...
It always seems people are a bit over-eager to get new threads started, be it discussing what the new thread should be called as soon as possiple or just the actual making of the thread.

I can understand if there was a good deal of discussion going on and there was concern for passing the fiffy page limit, but as it is we basically start new threads after just 49 pages now instead of 50.

Sorta depends on our whim and caprice, really, since the new thread generally gets created between the top 4 posts of the 50th page or the top 4 posts of the 51st page.

I've always found it kind of funny how everyone accepts sexualisation of females ("yay, Faye butt!"), but whenever male attractiveness is mentioned, someone always becomes confused and/or uncomfortable.

Not aimed at you in particular, it's just a general trend I've noticed. (plus, with you I'm 90% sure you were just trying to get back on track :smallwink:).

Confusion, I think, is mostly because most men don't really have noteworthy tail plumage. They're kind of flat and nonexistent for most from what I've been able to gather. Or they're sculpted muscle and if they've managed to sculpt their gluteals to that extent, the rest of their body is quite likely to be drawing far more attention (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCOMkbZw2XI), because, well, pecs and biceps and male gaze of threat categorization. I think.

Also, because women's butts have something to do with fertility instincts and being judged to be a good child-bearer with less of the inherent deception of the reason why human women have breasts and chimps and such do not, but there's not really anything of that sort for why a man's would be worth noticing for mate selection or arousal.

As for non-gluteals... I got nothing.

Just like I'm not really sure what to make of this strip. Then again, shorts never really made sense to me for outdoors wear except in dry climates where one is going to be out in the sun and dust as opposed to going through vegetation at all, ever.

HalfTangible
2011-09-19, 10:22 PM

Not aimed at you in particular, it's just a general trend I've noticed. (plus, with you I'm 90% sure you were just trying to get back on track :smallwink:).This is because (no secret here) guys are generally focused on physical attractiveness, whereas girls generally focus on mental attributes (emotions, intelligence, tact) and a higher percentage of the populace is straight than homosexual. So females get sexualized while guys get emotionalized.

The problem is that neither gender likes being treated solely as meat and character development is done through actions, thoughts and emotions, so the females in stories get the shorter end of the stick.

That's my theory, anyway, and TBF, psychology doesn't have to make sense (someone in ancient greece discovered that things that go up and to the right are more aesthetically pleasing to humans than down and to the left... apparently)

dogmac
2011-09-19, 10:27 PM
Look, women, on the whole, fall into one of two categories... butt likers and hand likers. Sometimes arm likers.

Yes, yes, we generally choose a bloke for his non-physical assets, but it doesn't mean we don't check out the physical ones.

For myself, I am a hand and arm chick, but most women I know check out behinds.

MoonCat
2011-09-19, 10:34 PM
I don't think I've ever fallen for someone based on how they look. Otherwise my crushes on Alan Rickman, George Hearn when he's dressed as Sweeney Todd (but not Johnny Depp in the same story), and Havelock Vetinari would be TOTALLY nonsensical.

Tirian
2011-09-19, 10:54 PM
Well, everyone knows that the female form is a thing of beauty. Ain't too many male nudes in the art world aside from Michelangelo's David.

I don't get what the whole thing is about, since Marten's shorts hardly show off any more than his pants do. There isn't even any thigh exposure.

Can someone remind me of the arc where we started caring about Padma in the slightest way? Because if Marten isn't wondering where this is leading then I'm sure not either.

HalfTangible
2011-09-19, 10:55 PM
Look, women, on the whole, fall into one of two categories... butt likers and hand likers. Sometimes arm likers.

Yes, yes, we generally choose a bloke for his non-physical assets, but it doesn't mean we don't check out the physical ones.

For myself, I am a hand and arm chick, but most women I know check out behinds.

A recent poll showed that, when cheated on, a woman will ask about the emotional part 62% of the time and the physical 38%. Males ask about the physical 54% and the emotional 46%.

I realize it's not always the case, dog. Hence 'generally'. :smallannoyed:

@V: That was the explanation given, yes.

Luzahn
2011-09-19, 11:01 PM
Well, its generally a biological thing, isn't it? Men only need physically viable mates for children, while women are saddled with providing for themselves and the children without a means to gather resources, and so need a socially viable mate.

But to post on subject: Does anyone find Faye's warm behavior in the last panel a bit off? I'm hoping it will be revealed as some form of cynical ploy.

Coidzor
2011-09-19, 11:09 PM
But to post on subject: Does anyone find Faye's warm behavior in the last panel a bit off? I'm hoping it will be revealed as some form of cynical ploy.

...Unless it's revealed to be a cynical ploy of some sort I'm probably just going to file it under the heading of "Non-canon one-off because Jeph wanted some lulz that day."

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-19, 11:11 PM
...Unless it's revealed to be a cynical ploy of some sort I'm probably just going to file it under the heading of "Non-canon one-off because Jeph wanted some lulz that day."

I always consider guest comics the only legitimate parts of the QC canon, so meh. :smallamused:

Marillion
2011-09-19, 11:17 PM
Speaking as a man who's been told he has one, y'all underestimate the appeal of a nice butt on a guy :smallcool:

HalfTangible
2011-09-19, 11:21 PM
Speaking as a man who's been told he has one, y'all underestimate the appeal of a nice butt on a guy :smallcool:

Personally i find the most appealing feature on a person to be their back when they're walking faster than me.

Because it means they're walking away.

Jokes aside, I have this thing for blood-red/brick-red hair... the kind of redhead that is RED. not orange. RED. Orange reminds me of one my friend's mother...

Kato
2011-09-20, 05:39 AM
Jokes aside, I have this thing for blood-red/brick-red hair... the kind of redhead that is RED. not orange. RED. Orange reminds me of one my friend's mother...

I tended to have a general aversion against red haeds romantically/sexually but if you look at pictures like this (http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17700000/Karen-Gillan-karen-gillan-17716324-500-700.jpg), this (http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/matt-smith-karen-gillan-amy-pond/karen-gillan.jpg) or this (http://www.taramtamtam.com/wallpapers/Unsorted/A/Alyson_Hannigan/images/Alyson_Hannigan_3.jpg) I have to give in...

Padma really has a weird sense of humor... and I have a weird urge to write Padme instead of Padma.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-20, 06:32 AM
Yeah Padma is strange to me too. I like the background. Looks like one of those jigsaw puzzles where every... single... piece looks the same. Working around the sides is the only way!!

Luzahn
2011-09-20, 07:07 AM
Gah! Too much background... Also, what I like is how Momo is not even spraying her skin. Looks like its just going on the shorts.

And I hope those aren't Hannelore's. :smalleek:

eee
2011-09-20, 08:29 AM
Padma DOES seem to be becoming stranger, the more we get to know her. It's hard to figure her out...

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-09-20, 09:30 AM
Pffft.

Padma made me laugh so hard.

MoonCat
2011-09-20, 09:33 AM
I keep being reminded of a fifth grade me and a me now combination when I see Padma. This is somewhat disconcerting. :smalleek:

Marnath
2011-09-20, 10:05 AM
Why is she spraying bug spray on herself? Isn't it hard to get that cleaned off plastic?

Turalisj
2011-09-20, 10:08 AM
Is she made of plastic? Some some sort of future material?

Gaelbert
2011-09-20, 10:39 AM
Just like I'm not really sure what to make of this strip. Then again, shorts never really made sense to me for outdoors wear except in dry climates where one is going to be out in the sun and dust as opposed to going through vegetation at all, ever.

Where do you live? I can't wear long pants if the weather's any hotter than 20 degrees C (70 degrees F), and if I'm doing any sort of physical activity that goes much lower.

Tirian
2011-09-20, 10:53 AM
Momo's skin is apparently made out of something so flesh-like that people can be standing right in front of her and not know that she's a robot, so it's not simply plastic in the sense that we think about it. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration to wonder if she'd fool the mosquitoes too, so the bug spray might be a good idea to prevent punctures in skin that wouldn't necessarily heal itself.

Gamall
2011-09-20, 11:12 AM
Mosquitoes have a very developed sense of smell; they look for very specific chemicals produced by the human body, then they use visual detection and heat detection to acquire and home in on their hapless victims.

It is therefore unlikely that just looking like human skin would be enough to fool them.

BiblioRook
2011-09-20, 12:42 PM
Where do you live? I can't wear long pants if the weather's any hotter than 20 degrees C (70 degrees F), and if I'm doing any sort of physical activity that goes much lower.

I'm in Southern California and I refuse to not wear long pants year round. I hate shorts. Tshirts too for that matter.

Actually, an eco-freindly fun fact from my days as an oceanography student. Apparently a simple way to avoid mosquitoes is to just wear long sleeves and pants. Mosquitoes are lazy, if it's not conveniently right there in plain sight I guess they don't bother.

Tirian
2011-09-20, 01:48 PM
Mosquitoes have a very developed sense of smell; they look for very specific chemicals produced by the human body, then they use visual detection and heat detection to acquire and home in on their hapless victims.

It is therefore unlikely that just looking like human skin would be enough to fool them.

At the very least, Momo's chassis would almost certainly also be radiating heat, if for no other reason than that Marigold wasn't yelping in pain when Momo was spooning her on that first night. You're right that she probably wouldn't be excreting the scents herself (although that top-of-the-line model she was envying might...), but if she rubbed up against a human, who is to say that she wouldn't pick up something?

And, yes, this is wildly over-thinking the situation. If nothing else, I'm sure that she's doing no harm by applying bug spray and may just be seeing what it feels like.

Gamall
2011-09-20, 02:43 PM
Momo's chassis would almost certainly also be radiating heat,
Yes, but she has no reason to have veins or arteries, and I am pretty sure mosquitoes use heat detection specifically to locate those and thus determine where they should start drilling for the sweet, sweet nectar. So Momo is safe, as the poor mosquito will see an inedible uniformly warm surface, instead of a lattice of pulsating heat that spells "lunch".

And, yes, this is wildly over-thinking the situation.

Do carry on, over-thinking things is exactly what this forum is there for.

What d'ya mean "no" ?

Keld Denar
2011-09-20, 02:46 PM
Confusion, I think, is mostly because most men don't really have noteworthy tail plumage.
Speak for yourself. I was clothes shopping recently, and had to go from my usual 34" waist shorts up to a 36" waist because my butt is TOO big for the 34" ones. The clerk made a joke about finding me some apple bottom jeans, and my girlfriend got a good laugh. She tells me she likes my butt all the time. Keep in mind, its not wide, just...bulbous. The opposite of flat.

I tended to have a general aversion against red haeds romantically/sexually but if you look at pictures like this (http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17700000/Karen-Gillan-karen-gillan-17716324-500-700.jpg), this (http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/matt-smith-karen-gillan-amy-pond/karen-gillan.jpg) or this (http://www.taramtamtam.com/wallpapers/Unsorted/A/Alyson_Hannigan/images/Alyson_Hannigan_3.jpg) I have to give in...
Discussions of hot redheads and no mention of Felicia Day? Blasphemy!

Morph Bark
2011-09-20, 02:57 PM
Discussions of hot redheads and no mention of Felicia Day? Blasphemy!

Y'know, frankly, I don't think Felicia Day is "hot" at all. Cute perhaps, or pretty, but not hot.

Also, to finally see an outdoorsy view like this in QC is... it's a milestone. Let's commemorate this with some heavy drinking of coffee.

Knaight
2011-09-20, 05:21 PM

That might just be a low temperature tolerance. I wear long pants, always, and 40 C (105 F, approx.) is just fine for them. They just have to be thin.

MoonCat
2011-09-20, 05:25 PM
I'm in Southern California and I refuse to not wear long pants year round. I hate shorts. Tshirts too for that matter.

Actually, an eco-freindly fun fact from my days as an oceanography student. Apparently a simple way to avoid mosquitoes is to just wear long sleeves and pants. Mosquitoes are lazy, if it's not conveniently right there in plain sight I guess they don't bother.

Whereas I, who lives in Washington, right on the Pacific Ocean (I mean, you do too, but I live five blocks away from it) has never worn a long sleeved shirt in the last six years.

Traab
2011-09-20, 09:48 PM
I have no butt, nor do I have hips. I have to wear a belt so tight it cuts off circulation to my legs to avoid losing my pants, and even then I still have to hitch them up from time to time. I frequently state that my body is a straight line from my ankles to my arm pits. Well, not counting the huge gut at least. So I also feel confusion with the male butt thing, since ive never had one to get compliments on.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-09-20, 09:57 PM
I have a very bony butt. I have a friend who has a DAMN fine butt though, and that's comin' from one heterosexual cis-male to another.
And the weather where I am goes from 45C, which is about 120F, to -30C, which is about -25F, I think?

Edit: right, my point. My point was that you HAVE to wear shorts and tees in the winter, and jeans and sweaters in the winter. Otherwise you get sick and die.

John Campbell
2011-09-21, 12:49 AM
I have seen mosquitoes attack my laptop. They'd land, usually somewhere over the CPU, attempt to bite, hesitate, fly a centimeter or two, land, attempt to bite, hesitate, fly a centimeter or two in a different direction, land, attempt to bite...

All the while completely ignoring me. For some reason, I'm not an attractive target for mosquitoes, if there's anyone else at all around. Apparently a warm computer is good enough. (The black flies love me, though.)

I've also been told I have a nice butt. Though given that the lady who told me that: a) has pretty much only ever seen me in baggy Viking pants, b) was more than a little drunk at the time, and c) called me by someone else's name (see b), I'm taking it with a large grain of salt.

Morph Bark
2011-09-21, 04:00 AM
Edit: right, my point. My point was that you HAVE to wear shorts and tees in the winter, and jeans and sweaters in the winter. Otherwise you get sick and die.

Don't you mean summer in the first instance?

Also, WHAT THE EFF SAM?

Shadow of the Sun
2011-09-21, 04:24 AM
Well, it's more or less confirmed that Sam is badass.

In other news, Padma is basically the Raven of the bakery crew.

Gamall
2011-09-21, 05:51 AM
Well, it's more or less confirmed that Sam is badass insane.

There.

And she is holding that snake by the tail... 7:1 that she's going to be bitten for her efforts (even colubrids can bite, though they have no venom to speak of).

edit: between mosquitoes and snakes, this thread is becoming quite the zoology discussion...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-09-21, 07:54 AM
Yes, I did mean summer for the first one.
And yeah, Sam's cool, in my books.

Luzahn
2011-09-21, 08:07 AM
I'm guessing Sam doesn't have many friends. She seems determined to get a snake to show Momo.

Traab
2011-09-21, 08:34 AM
Now for a comic of everyone else freaking the hell out. I mean good lord, she just jumped off a small CLIFF to catch a SNAKE! The HELL?!

eee
2011-09-21, 08:56 AM
GAH, CRAZY CHILD!!!!!

Traumatized snake, too, probably,,,

Gez
2011-09-21, 09:41 AM
Jim the silver fox must have entrusted the raising of his daughter to the family cat. That's about the only way to explain this behavior.

Venom3053000
2011-09-21, 10:08 AM
the second i saw Sam say snake all i could think of was:

Sam: Snake!... Snake? Snaaaaaaake

Morph Bark
2011-09-21, 10:10 AM

Cue ideas that Sam is actually Meryl and Silverfox is Roy.

Yana
2011-09-21, 11:40 AM
Or, Sam could be half lemming.

Kato
2011-09-21, 11:58 AM

Weird, I was thinking along the same lines...

BiblioRook
2011-09-21, 02:25 PM
Man, I'm liking Sam more and more

Also, first a radical change in scenery, now radical changes in perspective? This arc seems to be pushing QC forward in leaps and bounds.

EternalMelon
2011-09-21, 02:41 PM
Man, I'm liking Sam more and more

Also, first a radical change and scenery, now radical changes in prospective? This arc seems to be pushing QC forward in leaps and bounds.

Budum' Tsh.

Gez
2011-09-21, 04:24 PM
I don't see anything prospective that has changed. There is a nice perspective effect though.

John Campbell
2011-09-21, 04:45 PM
On the bright side, the only venomous snake up in this neck of the woods is the Eastern rattlesnake, and I'm thinking that girl-human is probably not foolhardy enough to grab one of those by the tail.

Um. Probably. Maybe.

Keld Denar
2011-09-21, 06:56 PM
Silly Jeph, falling damage is measured in d6s, not d10s...

The Glyphstone
2011-09-21, 09:57 PM
Silly Jeph, falling damage is measured in d6s, not d10s...

Not in Deathwatch - though admittedly, Sam is not a Space Marine.

It is in WoD, though.:smallcool:

BiblioRook
2011-09-22, 03:33 AM
I don't see anything prospective that has changed. There is a nice perspective effect though.

Usually the comic isn't much more then a view of the characters fro 3/4 up and from the side, I don't think I can really recall a time where it might have show the comic facing the characters head-on or (from today's comic even) off a little in the distance even. This is something I'm really enjoying, I think it adds depth.

Also in regard to today's comic, don't be such a baby Padma. Sam just jumped off a cliff voluntarily and came out of it perfectly fine :P

Gamall
2011-09-22, 04:05 AM
Also, first a radical change and scenery, now radical changes in prospective?

Usually the comic isn't much more then a view of the characters fro 3/4 up and from the side, [...]

<explain the joke>
I am sure that Gez agreed that a change of perspective in the comic is nice; he was making a light-hearted jest about your (mis)spelling of the word, which radically changed the meaning of your original sentence. :smallbiggrin:
</explain the joke>

Morph Bark
2011-09-22, 05:46 AM
Also in regard to today's comic, don't be such a baby Padma. Sam just jumped off a cliff voluntarily and came out of it perfectly fine :P

Sam jumping off voluntarily decreased the falling damage by one die and she probably has more ranks in Jump/Tumble too.

Luzahn
2011-09-22, 07:08 AM
And then Elliot murdered Martin for touching Padma. Using the dangerous cliff.

MoonCat
2011-09-22, 09:03 AM
Oh Sam! I like you so much!

And I feel very sorry for Elliot. Look at his face! :smallfrown:

eee
2011-09-22, 10:17 AM
This hike is like crawling through a dungeon full of death traps! Who's going to be the next near-victim???

Holy_Knight
2011-09-22, 01:29 PM
Seriously... how did she not get hurt? She fell like 30 feet!

Also, did anyone else think maybe Padma was going to play a joke on Marten where it looked like she fell to her doom? Maybe it's just because I did that myself once...

BiblioRook
2011-09-22, 01:32 PM
This hike is like crawling through a dungeon full of death traps! Who's going to be the next near-victim???

Momo is going to fall off a cliff next, only for it to be revealed she has rocket boosters in her feet and/or hands (standard issue) and she was never in any danger

and from the looks of it, hitting every rock on the way down too.

Tirian
2011-09-22, 03:23 PM

She's pretty well scraped up over most of her body including what I presume to be large bruises on her cheek and elbow. And this is from a comic strip that normally draws "ouch lines" to show that someone is hurt.

eee
2011-09-22, 03:34 PM

About 2/3's of the way down, it looks like there's a bush that gave its all - all its leaves, anyway - to break her fall...

As for the rest, obviously her mother is a cat.

Also, did anyone else think maybe Padma was going to play a joke on Marten where it looked like she fell to her doom? Maybe it's just because I did that myself once...

We know Padma's got a sense of humor; but it's so strange I'm not sure she'd consider just pretending to fall to be funny.

Actually FALLING, now, that might be a thigh slapper to her...

Marnath
2011-09-22, 04:36 PM
So, Elliot's face in the last panel, is that a "why did she go to Martin and not me?" look or more of a "holy crap she almost fell to her death just now! O.O"?

The Glyphstone
2011-09-22, 04:53 PM
I approve of the experimenting with backgrounds and perspective, but it might be a bumpy road - in the third panel there, Padma looks kinda like a copy-pasted cutout that's been superimposed on the background and rotated slightly, rather than drawn in place there.

Luzahn
2011-09-22, 06:05 PM
Well, he rarely even draws feet. It'll be a bit strange at first with a non-flat surface.

Somebloke
2011-09-23, 02:38 AM
Experimentation is good, even with some bumpy artwork along the way.

eee
2011-09-23, 08:29 AM
And there goes Padma. (heavy sigh). Marten really DOES have the hots for her...

Traab
2011-09-23, 08:37 AM
I just think its interesting that padme is apparently related to nightcrawler, considering she managed to teleport in the last comic.

MoonCat
2011-09-23, 09:35 AM
Oh crap didn't Marten come from California? ****.

How did she teleport? :smallconfused:

Traab
2011-09-23, 09:51 AM
One panel she looks like she is about 5 degrees from falling off the cliff, next panel she is struggling to restart her heart with her hand on martens shoulder without so much as a single movement line to show she actually physically crossed the distance between them. Teleportation.

Shadow of the Sun
2011-09-23, 12:35 PM
Mmm...no.

Jeph there was asking that we, the reader, made an inference.

Not everything needs to be outright stated- movement lines mean very little.

Glass Mouse
2011-09-23, 01:59 PM

Or he's sad for Elliot?

Fawkes
2011-09-23, 02:14 PM
Or he's sad for Elliot?

No, no, Marten is sad because he is reminded of his former life as a hooker with a heart of gold in L.A., and is both regretful and wistful of those simpler, cougar-filled times.

I don't know how you guys aren't seeing this.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-09-23, 03:55 PM
No, no, Marten is sad because he is reminded of his former life as a hooker with a heart of gold in L.A., and is both regretful and wistful of those simpler, cougar-filled times.

I don't know how you guys aren't seeing this.

I got it, Fawkes. Not sure how everybody else missed it...

Coidzor
2011-09-23, 05:24 PM
What was Marten's home town again?

Traab
2011-09-23, 05:29 PM
Mmm...no.

Jeph there was asking that we, the reader, made an inference.

Not everything needs to be outright stated- movement lines mean very little.

Or it's possible that I was joking. But that can't be. And I must have accidentally put jephs email address in my junk mail filter because I dont recall him ever asking me to make an inference. /disdainful sniff.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-09-23, 05:44 PM
What was Marten's home town again?

I don't think we ever learned, specifically.

Traab
2011-09-23, 07:59 PM
Back to humanoid anthro pcs. I submit THIS (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1011) comic! Now try and explain it! Specifically panel 2.

Tono
2011-09-23, 08:15 PM
Its already been stated that a good biit of her dad's work finds its way to private homes. That was most likely one of his prototypes or something, and the fully humanoid ones are new.

Eakin
2011-09-23, 08:19 PM

I know it would be a little out of character for Marten, but with Padma sort of being a hot expy of his ex girlfriend who's about to move to the opposite side of the country, he couldn't ask for a better opportunity for a rebound fling.

Traab
2011-09-23, 08:29 PM
Its already been stated that a good biit of her dad's work finds its way to private homes. That was most likely one of his prototypes or something, and the fully humanoid ones are new.

Maybe, but unless there has been significant time passing between that comic and comic 1996, I think its more of a plot hole. I mean, noone seems all that surprised by REALLY human looking chassis, that one was very fake in appearance. So it shows a significant jump in quality that doesnt seem to impress any of the gang who see momo looking pretty much totally human. She doesnt even appear to have any join lines on her body. But back then it was crazy! A humanoid chassis? Even one as fake looking as that it was unheard of!

*EDIT*
I know it would be a little out of character for Marten, but with Padma sort of being a hot expy of his ex girlfriend who's about to move to the opposite side of the country, he couldn't ask for a better opportunity for a rebound fling.

Oh god, The comic is ending! Marten will suddenly decide he is in love, sell his guitar, and MOVE BACK HOME TO BE WITH HIS NEW GIRL! Perfect callback setup for how he got here in the first place!

Coidzor
2011-09-23, 08:36 PM
Or maybe... maybe contemplating doing that will cause him to have a spurt of character growth and show that he's changed and grown and become a better person over the years so that he can choose not to do that.

That, or Marten will officially lose his main character status rather than it just being de facto. :smallbiggrin: MomoxMarigold Odd Couple sit com time!

Morph Bark
2011-09-24, 02:34 PM
That, or Marten will officially lose his main character status rather than it just being de facto. :smallbiggrin: MomoxMarigold Odd Couple sit com time!

One word.

One character.

Around since day one.

Not Marten.

Turalisj
2011-09-24, 02:55 PM
One word.

One character.

Around since day one.

Not Marten.

Pintsize? We're going to have a Pintsize comic?

Coidzor
2011-09-24, 03:58 PM
One word.

One character.

Around since day one.

Not Marten.
Pintsize? We're going to have a Pintsize comic?

Vader (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s), I think I'm going to have to let Steve Carell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc&feature=related) field this one.

Don't leave us Marten. Please!

John Campbell
2011-09-24, 07:18 PM
If I were Jeph Jacques, and I were writing Marten out of the strip, I wouldn't send him chasing across the country after what'sherface.

I'd send him to be with Sara.

In the allosaurus's belly.

BiblioRook
2011-09-26, 03:58 AM
...and Marten was never seen again.

Glass Mouse
2011-09-26, 04:23 AM
I haven't chuckled out loud at a QC strip for a long time.

This was a good one :smallbiggrin:

Kato
2011-09-26, 05:28 AM
Yeah, that was a nice one... Well, now if he lives through it he will have to fave Angus' anger next :smallbiggrin: Though, I'd rather like it if something unexpected would happen.

Eldan
2011-09-26, 06:26 AM
Yeah, that was a nice one... Well, now if he lives through it he will have to fave Angus' anger next :smallbiggrin: Though, I'd rather like it if something unexpected would happen.

Unexpected? Sure.

He's actually gay and has the hots for Marten.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-26, 06:28 AM
Huh. Elliot drunk. A clever ploy so he can rage.
Also, I JUST GOT the bugspray-software bug joke.:smallconfused:

Yana
2011-09-26, 07:38 AM
Cut to Hannelore finding Marten's corpse in her apartment and going into a homicidal rage of her own!

Traab
2011-09-26, 07:58 AM
Cut to Hannelore finding Marten's corpse in her apartment and going into a homicidal rage of her own!

This in turn triggers a frenzy of murder/suicides until the entire comic changes formats to Questionable Content: Zombie Angst!

MoonCat
2011-09-26, 09:17 AM
Dammit! Jeph, I actually liked Elliot, and ow you're turning him into this intimidating JERK. :smallannoyed:

Turalisj
2011-09-26, 09:32 AM
What, you don't think he just wants to have a cold drink after the hike?

HalfTangible
2011-09-26, 09:47 AM
Dammit! Jeph, I actually liked Elliot, and ow you're turning him into this intimidating JERK. :smallannoyed:

... How and how? :smallconfused::smallannoyed:

Elliot's barely had any dialogue, and even in this comic he's barely said anything. Obviously he wants to talk to Marten alone but that doesn't make him a jerk. Marten is the one who assumes Elliot's going to commit unspeakable acts of horror -_- and Marten's a pushover.

Luzahn
2011-09-26, 10:09 AM
Dammit, Elliot. You've already shown a remarkable stealth capacity. Don't let them just see you murderin'.

Tirian
2011-09-26, 10:29 AM
Elliot wants to have a beer and shoot a round of pool and dress in old-timey costumes with Marten. It's a time-honored male bonding ritual in Massachusetts, I'm told.

eee
2011-09-26, 10:35 AM
Yes, it is important to make that distinction regarding his feelings for Faye in the event he lives, to prevent future complications and death...

John Cribati
2011-09-26, 04:29 PM
I just realized that Elliot's a bouncer (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1883)

Marnath
2011-09-26, 04:32 PM
I just realized that Elliot's a bouncer (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1883)

There can't be two men named Elliot in a city? How do we know it's the same guy?:smallconfused:

MammonAzrael
2011-09-26, 04:32 PM

...huh. You think Jeph remembered that, or is it just coincidence? At this point, I'm inclined to agree that the two Elliots are one and the same.

The Glyphstone
2011-09-26, 04:55 PM
Someone email/tweet him to ask, and suggest that it be canon.

MoonCat
2011-09-26, 04:57 PM
Right, maybe not 'jerk' per se, but still. The death glares, the shoulder steering, the dragging him away. That's all unnecessary.

Marillion
2011-09-26, 05:04 PM
It's also all totally in character for a shy, socially awkward male. Some guys in Elliot's situation would repress it forever, leaving it only to death glares and irrational jealousy. Other guys in his situation will eventually take their "competitor" aside and attempt to work things out somehow, but being socially awkward, won't do so gracefully.

True story. I've been there.

Coidzor
2011-09-26, 05:29 PM
Ahh, shipping.

Marten's look of terror at the realization of just how big and strong Elliot's hands are is...

It's just adorable.

Traab
2011-09-26, 09:26 PM
:Look marten, ive been trying to find a way to say this all day, so im just going to say it. Stop showing interest in her, its making me upset. Mainly because I really want you to go out with me." Then it turns into sloppy makeouts that dora and marigold see, both of whom greatly enjoy the yaoi.

Holy_Knight
2011-09-27, 01:22 AM
Right, maybe not 'jerk' per se, but still. The death glares, the shoulder steering, the dragging him away. That's all unnecessary.

It's also all totally in character for a shy, socially awkward male. Some guys in Elliot's situation would repress it forever, leaving it only to death glares and irrational jealousy. Other guys in his situation will eventually take their "competitor" aside and attempt to work things out somehow, but being socially awkward, won't do so gracefully.

True story. I've been there.
It's possible he's acting that way out of concern for Padma, rather than jealousy over her. Maybe she has a tendency to get her heart broken and he just wants to give Marten the "don't hurt her" speech. Or has it been revealed that Elliot actually does have a crush on her?

BiblioRook
2011-09-27, 01:30 AM
I think all we really know is he has a one-sided crush on someone, and Padma does seem pretty oblivious to people being attracted to her.

It's also possible that it's both. I mean, the girl you like is about to move away forever and just mere days before it happens some guy is possibly attempting to make moves on her? Talk about adding insult to injury.

dogmac
2011-09-27, 02:32 AM
Man, that is some pretty large gulps of alcohol Elliott is having there.

BiblioRook
2011-09-27, 03:39 AM
I'm more confused as to how that bar is set up. Ether it's only two feet high or Will is standing on something :smallconfused:

Shadow of the Sun
2011-09-27, 03:41 AM
Oh Wil, I love you so much.

Morph Bark
2011-09-27, 07:09 AM
Someone email/tweet him to ask, and suggest that it be canon.

From today's comic it seems that it is.

When was Elliott introduced?

It's possible he's acting that way out of concern for Padma, rather than jealousy over her. Maybe she has a tendency to get her heart broken and he just wants to give Marten the "don't hurt her" speech. Or has it been revealed that Elliot actually does have a crush on her?

He has a crush on someone, but it's never been actually outright stated on whom.

I'm more confused as to how that bar is set up. Ether it's only two feet high or Will is standing on something :smallconfused:

Most bars I know are slightly elevated, Wil's could simply be even higher.

Sampi
2011-09-27, 08:19 AM
When was Elliott introduced?

Strip 1845 (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1845). Not named until 1865 (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1865).

Tirian
2011-09-27, 08:53 AM
Wil's cheekbone frightens and confuses me, and I think it always will.

Turalisj
2011-09-27, 08:59 AM
I thought that was a scar.

eee
2011-09-27, 09:02 AM
He has a crush on someone, but it's never been actually outright stated on whom.

Thank GOD it's not Sam...

Tirian
2011-09-27, 09:18 AM
I thought that was a scar.

He's got one on the other side too. Perhaps he was injured by the six-fingered man who murdered his father.

I naturally assumed he was habitually underfed when he entered the strip, and am looking forward to the day when Penelope fattens him up enough to put some flesh between us and his cheekbones.

MoonCat
2011-09-27, 09:33 AM
Strip 1845 (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1845). Not named until 1865 (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1865).

Whoa. I um... there was an art shift. again. And I remember when it wasn't there. Whoa.

Morph Bark
2011-09-27, 10:15 AM

So before the bouncer strip then.

Sounds legit. One Elliot, two jobs.

Kato
2011-09-27, 01:21 PM
Hu... I wouldn't have noticed... I wonder if this WAS planned in advance for so long or whether it is something he only came up with later... and what will happen next with Padma. Though, I don't see her ending up with Marten (not that I ever did)

CrimsonAngel
2011-09-27, 02:32 PM
Oh my gosh my heart just broke. :smallfrown: I actually teared up.

Gaelbert
2011-09-27, 10:21 PM
I was hoping Marten would chew Elliot out or something. Should have known that wouldn't happen.

HalfTangible
2011-09-27, 10:40 PM
I was hoping Marten would chew Elliot out or something. Should have known that wouldn't happen.

Marten has chewed out ONE person in the entire comic. And that person was a creeper. Elliot's behavior isn't creepy. It may be annoying, or wussy or whatever you want to call it, but he's not tracking down his idol's daughter via twitter and posting unwanted and unwarranted pictures on the internet.

MightyTim
2011-09-28, 07:25 AM
Well there goes my theory/hope that the entire thing was a big misunderstanding.

eee
2011-09-28, 09:34 AM
This is really pretty sad.

And Wil still doesn't have any self-preservation instincts...

MoonCat
2011-09-28, 09:41 AM
YAY! VICTORIAN CLOTHES!

<reads comic>

Oh... :smallfrown:

Poor Elliot. That's really too sad. Stupid, funny Will though!

Morph Bark
2011-09-28, 12:47 PM

YAY! VICTORIAN CLOTHES!

<reads comic>

Oh... :smallfrown:

Poor Elliot. That's really too sad. Stupid, funny Will though!

It's things like the sudden changes of heart that a single comic can bring that makes me love Jeph's work.

I definitely agree on that Wil's presence and note-taking added great humouristic value here. :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-09-28, 03:04 PM
It's things like the sudden changes of heart that a single comic can bring that makes me love Jeph's work.

I definitely agree on that Wil's presence and note-taking added great humouristic value here. :smalltongue:

Two comics actually. and I like Elliot, always have, but it was annoying me that Jeph was making him intimidating. No change of heart, just that Jeph's stopped making him act scary.

Luzahn
2011-09-28, 07:27 PM
Well, he never explicitly acted scary. It was pretty ambivalent, Martin's reactions just made him seem more aggressive.

Coidzor
2011-09-28, 09:52 PM
Well, he never explicitly acted scary. It was pretty ambivalent, Martin's reactions just made him seem more aggressive.

that's over-reacting for ya.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-28, 10:53 PM
I blame his hat. Is a scary hat. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-09-29, 04:10 AM
Marten's hat is strange, though. Never seen a top hat with such a small brim

MoonCat
2011-09-29, 09:28 AM
That unbuttoned waistcoat should not be staying in that position. /nerd

Eldan
2011-09-29, 09:33 AM
Perhaps it's massively starched. Or reinforced with wires.

Morph Bark
2011-09-29, 09:35 AM
Jeph's stopped making him act scary.

Never seemed that intimidating to me (aside from implications of what might happen, but that is still more in the mind of the viewer), but Marten's a natural drama queen.

...I wonder if either of his parents acted before taking up a different kind of acting?

Kato
2011-09-29, 11:20 AM
Hm... so... Marten doesn't think Eliott got a chance or what is he implying in that lat panel? That's mean, Marten. Poor Elliot.

Also, where do they get these costumes from? Has the bar them in stock?

Gez
2011-09-29, 11:32 AM
Also, where do they get these costumes from? Has the bar them in stock?

Yes. It's customary. (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1425)

MammonAzrael
2011-09-29, 02:15 PM
That's mean, Marten.

No, it's not. It's honest. Padma already has plans to move. She clearly doesn't have any feelings for Elliot, and finding out about his long-term infatuation with her is not enough for her to randomly decide to stay and jump into a relationship with him.

What would be mean would be to build up Elliot's hopes, claiming that Padma would certainly want to be with Elliot and that all he had to do was tell her how he felt.

Keld Denar
2011-09-29, 02:23 PM
Elliot's plan for wooing Padma, an overview:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/friends.png

Kato
2011-09-29, 05:37 PM
No, it's not. It's honest. Padma already has plans to move. She clearly doesn't have any feelings for Elliot, and finding out about his long-term infatuation with her is not enough for her to randomly decide to stay and jump into a relationship with him.

What would be mean would be to build up Elliot's hopes, claiming that Padma would certainly want to be with Elliot and that all he had to do was tell her how he felt.

I felt more like Eliott was wondering whether he ever had any chance and marten denying that... sure, building up his hopes would have been mean, too but still...

MammonAzrael
2011-09-29, 09:16 PM
Hannelore working at Nerdrotica! (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09292011.shtml) :smallbiggrin:

Kato
2011-09-30, 05:32 AM
Woohoo, spin-off!

Next up: QC: Chicago?

Gaelbert
2011-09-30, 11:50 AM
Woohoo, spin-off!

Next up: QC: Chicago?

I could see a QC operating in Portland or San Francisco working well.

Tirian
2011-09-30, 11:58 AM
I could see a QC operating in Portland[...]

It wouldn't last (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1919).

Felius
2011-09-30, 12:09 PM
Elliot's plan for wooing Padma, an overview:(image snip)

Not really. All considered, he's actually shy, not acting like as a "nice guy™". He feels jealous, but he don't seem to feel entitled to Padma, which I fear is the major point.

Coidzor
2011-10-02, 05:22 PM
Well, Faye is savvy at least.

Eakin
2011-10-03, 01:00 AM
Well, Faye is savvy at least.

If by "savvy" you mean "overeacting because of her own abandonment issues" then yes.

Seriously "I have an unrequited crush on a girl but she's moving away" does not lead to "I WILL FOLLOW HER TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH" unless you are a super creepy stalker

Coidzor
2011-10-03, 01:12 AM
If by "savvy" you mean "overeacting because of her own abandonment issues" then yes.

Seriously "I have an unrequited crush on a girl but she's moving away" does not lead to "I WILL FOLLOW HER TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH" unless you are a super creepy stalker

*points upthread to the discussion of who would inherit main character status* :smallwink: No, I mean savvy, savvy?

Morph Bark
2011-10-03, 02:35 AM
Hannelore working at Nerdrotica! (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09292011.shtml) :smallbiggrin:

I recognize Hanners, the robot and the praying girl from Dumbing of Age. The guy might be Rayne Summers, I guess? Dunno who the girl with glasses is.

Gez
2011-10-03, 05:54 AM
The funny thing is that they're all listed in the fine print at the bottom of the picture. Girl with glasses in second panel is Helen from Penny & Aggie; girl with glasses in third panel is Candy from GWS.

Both girls with glasses have already appeared in SP crossovers. I don't think any of the rest did, though.

Turalisj
2011-10-03, 07:42 AM
Poor Marigold. Don't they realize how much a cup of ramen costs?

HalfTangible
2011-10-03, 08:04 AM

Martens done it before in this case

Venom3053000
2011-10-03, 09:52 AM
All Hail Froglord King Of The Amphibains

BRC
2011-10-03, 10:06 AM
All Hail Froglord King Of The Amphibains

So what you're saying is that they just found Billious Slick? [/homestuck reference]

BiblioRook
2011-10-03, 11:48 AM
Clearly Sam is a bad influence.
I mean, do you know what mud does to a motherboard?!

Mando Knight
2011-10-03, 03:10 PM
HAIL FROGLORD! Yep, Sam's a bad influence.

Coidzor
2011-10-03, 04:52 PM
Swamps? In Massachusetts?

Clearly Froglord is a witch.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-03, 05:46 PM
All Hail Froglord Our Toady Master!

Traab
2011-10-03, 06:49 PM
Martens done it before in this case

Except he was actually DATING the girl he left california to be with. Right now martens more in a place of, "Hey, she is cute, and interesting to talk to, it might be interesting to date her." not, "OMG! I WILL FOLLOW YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH! I shall mail my body parts to you one by one to prove my devotion! Errr, what was your name again?"

Coidzor
2011-10-03, 08:23 PM
Except he was actually DATING the girl he left california to be with. Right now martens more in a place of, "Hey, she is cute, and interesting to talk to, it might be interesting to date her." not, "OMG! I WILL FOLLOW YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH! I shall mail my body parts to you one by one to prove my devotion! Errr, what was your name again?"

I don't think either Faye or we were being entirely serious. :smallwink: Well, Faye at least not at first. Marten's not exactly the most trustworthy guy when it comes to good decisions, after all.

Traab
2011-10-03, 08:40 PM
I don't think either Faye or we were being entirely serious. :smallwink: Well, Faye at least not at first. Marten's not exactly the most trustworthy guy when it comes to good decisions, after all.

Pfft, marten makes great decisions!

Yana
2011-10-04, 09:53 AM
How the heck would Momo fit in a dishwasher? This... confuses me.

BRC
2011-10-04, 10:06 AM
How the heck would Momo fit in a dishwasher? This... confuses me.
I think the idea is that you disassemble the chassis before you put it in the dishwasher.

John Campbell
2011-10-04, 10:28 AM
Apparently, you take her skin off and just wash that.

Kato
2011-10-04, 10:43 AM
Pfft, marten makes great decisions!

Only the best!

So... Momo is showering... Don't get me wrong on that but I AM curious how she'd look without her chassis.

Traab
2011-10-04, 10:45 AM
Only the best!

So... Momo is showering... Don't get me wrong on that but I AM curious how she'd look without her chassis.

..... There is a RIGHT way to take that comment? :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2011-10-04, 10:47 AM
..... There is a RIGHT way to take that comment? :smalltongue:

It's a question of which is more disturbing - Momo's disembodied head sitting in the dishwasher staring at you, or Momo's mechanical frame with its skin peeled off and parts exposed standing in front of the dishwasher as it cleaned the skin.

Keld Denar
2011-10-04, 10:47 AM
Giggity giggity goo!

Kato
2011-10-04, 11:44 AM
It's a question of which is more disturbing - Momo's disembodied head sitting in the dishwasher staring at you, or Momo's mechanical frame with its skin peeled off and parts exposed standing in front of the dishwasher as it cleaned the skin.

Yeah, I was more curious about how her mechanical frame looked like. It's nothing sexual just... scientific curiosity (really).
But I think that would be an awesome image, her standing and waiting for her body do be cleaned.

Luzahn
2011-10-04, 04:30 PM
...I do not want to see Terminator-Momo.

On second thought, that would be awesome.

Somebloke
2011-10-05, 06:43 AM
...and once again Hanner's flaming robosexuality makes itself apparent.

Holy_Knight
2011-10-05, 02:16 PM
Elliot's plan for wooing Padma, an overview:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/friends.png
Good lord, that was horrifying...!

I thought it was more about her attraction to cleanliness, since Momo was literally "squeaky clean" at that point.

Iruka
2011-10-05, 02:36 PM

I think it's more like a childlike pleasure in producing squeeky sounds.

Kato
2011-10-05, 02:54 PM
I think it's more like a childlike pleasure in producing squeeky sounds.

Hm... I tend to agree. At least that's what it looked like. And now I'll stop myself before I get into any slash comments.

Marnath
2011-10-05, 02:59 PM
Hm... I tend to agree. At least that's what it looked like. And now I'll stop myself before I get into any slash comments.

It's not really slash since Momo isn't technically a female. :smallwink:

Gnoman
2011-10-05, 09:25 PM
Whatever it was, it was the cutest thing Jeph's drawn in quite awhile.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-05, 09:28 PM

Technically, it still is :smallbiggrin: - 'slash' in its original vernacular form is any pairing of characters.

Marnath
2011-10-05, 10:10 PM
Technically, it still is :smallbiggrin: - 'slash' in its original vernacular form is any pairing of characters.

Oh? I did not know that.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-05, 10:14 PM
Oh? I did not know that.

Nowadays it's same-gender pairings, admittedly, but since it's a derivative of the slash mark separating the two characters in question, it was once just a generic 'pairing fic' term.

Turcano
2011-10-06, 03:58 AM

As with most things in life, Cracked has the answer (http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-real-robots-built-to-love-you-to-death/).

Kato
2011-10-06, 05:29 AM
I dare to disagree. She is obviously supposed to be female and considers herself such. So in perspective of future developments in AIs and robot technology we should start getting used to accepting female AIs as females. Especially looking at...

Cracked (http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-real-robots-built-to-love-you-to-death/).
omgwtfbbq! Okay, maybe the author exaggerates a bit but that is kind of creepy... And it's not even up to date anymore, I think.

Coidzor
2011-10-06, 12:44 PM

Given the context of the story and Momo's earlier model having an equivalent body cavity, I'm going to go with the bit where she's an unfortunately reasonable facsimile.

Kato
2011-10-07, 06:21 AM
Poor Marten... He really gets his butt monkey status reestablished recently. Angus on the other hand... hur, hur. Well, we'll see how long it lasts.

John Campbell
2011-10-07, 09:51 AM
Did someone drop Angus on his head when he was a child?

Traab
2011-10-07, 10:01 AM
I figured he was going for the butt pinch, you know, duck duck goose?

The Glyphstone
2011-10-07, 10:33 AM
Perhaps Jeph's Butts Disease has metastasized, and now he also has Boobs Disease.

Traab
2011-10-07, 10:50 AM
Its more of a relapse of a prexisting condition. Faye got book honked a lot. Pintsize, dora, raven, sven, angus, I think marten is one of the few characters who havent gotten a boob honk off of her.

Kato
2011-10-07, 11:22 AM
Its more of a relapse of a prexisting condition. Faye got book honked a lot. Pintsize, dora, raven, sven, angus, I think marten is one of the few characters who havent gotten a boob honk off of her.

Really, so many? Wow, Faye is a boob honk slut... well, I guess half of 'em suffered for it.

Traab
2011-10-07, 12:10 PM
Oh wait! That creepy hanner stalkers fake hand got a boob honk too!

Marnath
2011-10-07, 12:59 PM
I was just going through the archives, and full sized anthroPC's have been around longer than I remembered. In strip 855 there's a human sized apple anthroPC hanging out with Winslow.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-07, 01:08 PM
She was a guest-star import from another comic though, so that may or may not be canon.

dps
2011-10-07, 04:36 PM

Well, some of our financial assets are physical--house, car, etc.

Yana
2011-10-07, 04:53 PM
I was just going through the archives, and full sized anthroPC's have been around longer than I remembered. In strip 855 there's a human sized apple anthroPC hanging out with Winslow.

Eve isn't even an AnthroPC, she's more of a Terminator if anything. Albeit a very very childlike Terminator.

Sir Conkey
2011-10-07, 06:44 PM
Angus is quickly becoming my favourite character. The audacity with which he approaches Faye earlier on was sort of funny. But recently? It's become goddamn HILarious.

Coidzor
2011-10-07, 08:02 PM
Angus is quickly becoming my favourite character. The audacity with which he approaches Faye earlier on was sort of funny. But recently? It's become goddamn HILarious.

Indeed, seeing normal boyfriend-girlfriend interactions between the two of them are always pretty lulzy. :smallbiggrin:

Eakin
2011-10-07, 08:41 PM

Agreed. Just think, if he'd shown up a couple of weeks (comic time) earlier he would have been brutally murdered several times over by now.

Faye's actually really lightened up in the last couple months (again, in-universe time). Which still leaves her less approachable than the average rabid wolverine, of course.

Yana
2011-10-10, 07:21 AM
Bird Care, huh? Is ST actually going to be a character in the main story, or am I reading too much into a cameo?

Probably the latter.

Glass Mouse
2011-10-10, 07:23 AM
She has shown up a bunch of times already, always as a background character. Time will tell if he's gonna do more with her, but one more cameo doesn't really say anything.

On another note, hey, art experiments! I approve :smallbiggrin:

dogmac
2011-10-10, 07:34 AM
Yeah, but there are a couple of panels where it REALLY looks like Steve is feeling Martin up.

Which, who knows, maybe he is!

Traab
2011-10-10, 07:34 AM
She has shown up a bunch of times already, always as a background character. Time will tell if he's gonna do more with her, but one more cameo doesn't really say anything.

On another note, hey, art experiments! I approve :smallbiggrin:

I like the fact that she seemed to be interested in staring after marten and steve. Signs of a new romantic interest? So long as it doesnt include yelling bird as a regular character ill be ok.

BiblioRook
2011-10-10, 12:58 PM
I can't imagine her getting too involved with the main comic, if for no other reason that might involve her being given a real name!

I saw this more as something like "HEY! Can you 'spot' the cameo? :smalltongue: "

Kato
2011-10-10, 02:16 PM
I like the fact that she seemed to be interested in staring after marten and steve. Signs of a new romantic interest? So long as it doesnt include yelling bird as a regular character ill be ok.

Oh my god, please not... Not that I hate Pintsize but one weird annoying character per comic is enough.

Heck, I didn't even recognize her... (well, still don't, really) but I have the weirdest feeling she will get involved in the plot somehow, maybe.

Marnath
2011-10-10, 04:19 PM
Sweet-tits has been featured in the background 4-5 times now, actually.

Coidzor
2011-10-10, 04:40 PM
Sweet-tits has been featured in the background 4-5 times now, actually.

Sounds like this calls for a Sweet-tits cameo montage.

Tirian
2011-10-10, 04:51 PM
Yeah, not that I don't believe you, but I haven't noticed her before now and I would enjoy being proven wrong.

Keld Denar
2011-10-10, 05:20 PM
Also, YAY for Usual Suspects reference. Probably Kevin Spacey's best role ever, to which 7even is a close second.

Marnath
2011-10-10, 05:24 PM
One (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1184)

Two (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1445)

Three (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1863)

Four (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1954)(maybe, she's only partly in frame so it might not be her)

Five (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2031)

That's not counting the times she's appeared by herself or with Yelling Bird.

*edit: There's also a girl here (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1967) that sort of looks like her, but with purple hair. But that might just be a coincidence of the art style, not a dye job?

Tirian
2011-10-10, 06:14 PM
*edit: There's also a girl here (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1967) that sort of looks like her, but with purple hair. But that might just be a coincidence of the art style, not a dye job?

I suppose the central question is along these lines. Is there only one petite woman in a college town with brown to reddish-brown bobbed hair? I suppose it's possible. Perhaps we don't notice her more often because she's delivering pizza in a long blonde wig. :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-10-10, 08:10 PM
I love the Bird Care touch. Hope the next filler will be Sweet Tits being in control of Yelling Bird temporarily.

John Campbell
2011-10-10, 11:29 PM
New romantic interest for Marten!

I mean Yelling Bird, of course.

Kato
2011-10-11, 06:48 AM
New romantic interest for Marten!

I mean Yelling Bird, of course.

What would that be? Ornophilia?

Anyway... Well... Elliott pretty much acted as I would... cowardly and stupid :smallbiggrin: Poor big boy.

MoonCat
2011-10-11, 07:25 AM
Uh... What did MArten EXPECT?

Coidzor
2011-10-11, 02:01 PM
Uh... What did MArten EXPECT?

Her to be glad that Elliott wasn't being an obvious over-sized Newfoundland Puppy anymore.

...Dangit, now I want me a babby bear. (http://www.google.com/search?q=newfoundland+puppy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=HB3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bpGUTvmVDcn00gHntNCNCA&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=720) :smallfrown: I would love it and keep it and hug it and name it Mr. Fluffles if he was a boy and Lady Fluffles of Fluffington upon Fuzzledale if she was a girl.

Edit: Sorry, I think I got distracted a bit there. Anyhoo, his does confirm that Padma has a critically low Perception in her S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

BiblioRook
2011-10-11, 02:36 PM
This is more Elliot's fault then Marten's, Marten did suggest that she might not feel the same way about him in return (or at least I would like to think that's what happened to the conversation after the comic cut away during that awkward pause), and if Elliot just fallowed though or at least just didn't bail like he did the situation wouldn't have been so bad.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the Elliot is actually sick and this whole thing was a misunderstanding due to really bad timing :smallsmile:

Tirian
2011-10-11, 04:52 PM
Though I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the Elliot is actually sick and this whole thing was a misunderstanding due to really bad timing :smallsmile:

I don't care enough about Padma or Elliot, but if I wanted this plot to go on I'd like them to find that Eliot is currently entertaining the Tequila Monster.

Weimann
2011-10-12, 06:37 AM
On the one hand, Faye is sooo cute (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2030). On the other, I don't get the joke. What's the deal with the duck?

Glass Mouse
2011-10-12, 06:41 AM
On the one hand, Faye is sooo cute (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2030). On the other, I don't get the joke. What's the deal with the duck?

Let Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck,_duck,_goose) explain.

Fun fact: I learned of this game when Belkar did it in the war for Azure City.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-12, 06:42 AM

Duck duck goose is a kids game where everyone sits in a circle, and one kids pats everybody on the head saying "duck" until he feels like saying "goose", in which case he runs the way he was walking (usually clockwise) and the "goose" chases him the same way. If the guy who said "goose" can sit down in the "goose's" old seat, the goose is the next picker.
Edit: Gah, dang wiki-ninjas.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-12, 06:42 AM

You never played 'Duck duck goose' as a kid?

Gez
2011-10-12, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the exciting world of cultural variations, where a game that is played by nearly all children in one country is virtually unknown, or at least very different, in another country that is not the same as the first one.

For example, Sweden and the USA are different places.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-12, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the exciting world of cultural variations, where a game that is played by nearly all children in one country is virtually unknown, or at least very different, in another country that is not the same as the first one.

What? I had no idea! You Swedish people are deceivers! :smalltongue:

Traab
2011-10-12, 08:19 AM

Bull, all countries are merely outposts of america created by strange people who dont want to be located in the motherland. I tend to think its a climate issue, some people just want to live in a different set of weather patterns for whatever reason.

Weimann
2011-10-12, 09:46 AM
Let Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck,_duck,_goose) explain.Ah, I see!

So Angus keeps patting her and then replaces the "goose" for "boobs", which is another type of bird (it is, right?). Then he plans on running away, as the game goes, since Faye will no doubt kill him.

You never played 'Duck duck goose' as a kid?Not that particular one, no. As Gez said, they don't really have that one around here, although I'm sure many kids make it up on their own. It's not a "traditional" game, though.

Tirian
2011-10-12, 10:23 AM
Clearly the next time the United States hosts the Olympics we should have DDG as an exhibition event.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-12, 11:35 AM
Ah, I see!

So Angus keeps patting her and then replaces the "goose" for "boobs", which is another type of bird (it is, right?). Then he plans on running away, as the game goes, since Faye will no doubt kill him.

Not that particular one, no. As Gez said, they don't really have that one around here, although I'm sure many kids make it up on their own. It's not a "traditional" game, though.

It's more of a bad pun, actually. To "goose" someone is a slang term for pinching their butt; since that's what everyone was expecting though, he went for another target.

Gamall
2011-10-12, 12:16 PM
Swedish people are deceivers! :smalltongue:

Yes they are.

Especially the French ones. Those are the worse.

Fawkes
2011-10-12, 01:10 PM
So Angus keeps patting her and then replaces the "goose" for "boobs", which is another type of bird (it is, right?).

The bird is actually a booby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booby). Of course, there are also tits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_(bird)).

Psychonaut
2011-10-13, 10:20 AM
And hooters (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Athene_noctua_%28cropped%29.jpg/220px-Athene_noctua_%28cropped%29.jpg).

And bazongas (http://horrorwood.info/horrorwoodhills/realbananabird.jpg). Okay, maybe not.

Holy_Knight
2011-10-13, 11:55 AM
And hooters (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Athene_noctua_%28cropped%29.jpg/220px-Athene_noctua_%28cropped%29.jpg).

And bazongas (http://horrorwood.info/horrorwoodhills/realbananabird.jpg). Okay, maybe not.
Those are just slang though, whereas "booby" and "tit" really are the actual names of some bird types.

Coidzor
2011-10-13, 02:53 PM
Silly Marten. So that's why you're so unmanly, you never learned how to dance.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-13, 08:05 PM
... clearly I should learn how to dance!
instead of just winging it, like I do now.

Coidzor
2011-10-13, 09:22 PM
It is pretty much mastery of one's body combined with the art of seduction, after all.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-13, 09:38 PM
It is pretty much mastery of one's body combined with the art of seduction, after all.

Well, I got the two parts down separately, how hard could it be to put them together...
right?

John Cribati
2011-10-13, 10:17 PM
You forgot Rhythm and coordination.

Mando Knight
2011-10-13, 11:04 PM
different set of weather patterns for whatever reason.

...Wait, weather has a pattern? Or do you just mean those times when you're more likely to have blistering heat, too much rain, or freezing cold? :smalltongue:
(For those who don't understand, weather in the American Midwest goes like this: if you don't like it, wait a day or two.)
So, how much NCIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6xGdeY5xQ) was Jeph watching when he wrote this one?

Shogo
2011-10-14, 04:00 AM
If those two ever, ever hook up for any reason at all . . . My disappointment will be palpable.

Creepy bastard.

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-14, 04:26 AM
I like how Dale has permanent shinyglasses now. His creepiness is endearing.

eee
2011-10-14, 09:30 AM
Poor Marigold. "Clean, hard working, sober, responsible: Good Lord, what sort of monster have I become?!?" Apparently Hanners' grounding of her and keeping her off games for a few days was enough to break the worst of Mar-bear's all consuming addiction...

I wonder what she's going with her time now?

Traab
2011-10-14, 10:10 AM
Well, she has real life friends now, she might go out to the bars with them or otherwise hang out.

Kato
2011-10-14, 02:11 PM
I grief for Marigold... though I feel much the same when I actually do spend time on something else than my video games... it's like I'm a different person.
Well... we'll see if she finds the way back into the light.

BiblioRook
2011-10-14, 03:48 PM
If those two ever, ever hook up for any reason at all . . . My disappointment will be palpable.

Creepy bastard.

I don't know, I always kinda found Dale entertaining. My complaint with him more is that I think he lacks depth. He;s basically only there to antagonize Marigold and nothing else.

Traab
2011-10-14, 05:18 PM
I grief for Marigold... though I feel much the same when I actually do spend time on something else than my video games... it's like I'm a different person.
Well... we'll see if she finds the way back into the light.

I was actually similar in my obsession with gaming. And it ended the same way. Something came along that pulled my attention away briefly from my games, then suddenly I found myself not even wanting to play much anymore. Ive gotten hooked on games since then, but nothing will ever compare to my first mmo binge playing everquest for 36 hours straight, without a break.

Tirian
2011-10-14, 05:51 PM
I don't know, I always kinda found Dale entertaining. My complaint with him more is that I think he lacks depth. He;s basically only there to antagonize Marigold and nothing else.

Yeah, he was introduced as this cool "Everyone likes Dale!" character, and after those first two or three strips it hasn't been at all clear why anyone would like Dale. I was kind of hoping that this whole plan has been figuring out if she was right for his guild of people who have lives outside the game, but it's really just panned out that he's a major jerk.

Mando Knight
2011-10-14, 11:59 PM
See, Marigold, that's why you don't append (Save Ends) to your geekery. You might just accidentally make that throw.

Morph Bark
2011-10-15, 04:13 AM
While in the real world chances would be slim, comic drama rules tell me I now have to be afraid for Elliott turning into a creepy stalker of Padma's or Marten's.

At least if they hook up we can call them Padmarten.

Kato
2011-10-17, 05:29 AM
Yay, more Portmonteau names....

Anyway, Hanners proves she has psychic powers by predicting either a gang bang or a sauna visit for Steve... Well, I'm looking forward to either, I guess?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-17, 07:30 AM
Y'know, I just realized that there was no doubt in my mind that Hanners didn't actually tell the future?

Yana
2011-10-17, 07:40 AM
Stranger things have happened in this universe. Roomba mating being the most blatant.