PDA

View Full Version : Int-Based Spellcasting for Cleric

Kyouhen
2011-09-19, 07:15 PM
Greetings playgrounders!

So I'm just wondering, are there any feats or anything that would allow a Cleric to base their spellcasting off intelligence instead of wisdom? I could have sworn there was a feat somewhere but can't for the life of me figure out where. (Then again I think that might have involved strength-based casting instead...)

Zaq
2011-09-19, 07:17 PM
Archivists get all Cleric spells and are (primarily) INT-based casters.

If you're thinking of STR-based casting, an Aeshkrau illumian gets their bonus spells (of any class) based off STR, though the minimum casting requirement and the save DCs stay as they usually are.

Kyouhen
2011-09-19, 07:43 PM
Archivists get all Cleric spells and are (primarily) INT-based casters.

If you're thinking of STR-based casting, an Aeshkrau illumian gets their bonus spells (of any class) based off STR, though the minimum casting requirement and the save DCs stay as they usually are.

Yeah, problem is I need a way to do it with a Cleric. Put simply I currently have a Cleric/Fiendbinder and didn't get very good stats. Intelligence is my main stat so I can get some decent minions and control them, and my Wisdom is lacking. We're also working under a magic system a little closer to psionics, so my lowish Wisdom means I'm running out of steam much faster than the other casters and need to be a little more conservative with my spells. My pets are doing well, but I myself am lagging behind the party badly and a quick and easy fix to it would be to find a way to change my spellcasting stat to Int.

Talbot
2011-09-19, 07:46 PM
There's a Dragonlance book that's got a bunch of feats that do stuff like that. Unfortunately, I don't recall which book or which feats.

Acanous
2011-09-19, 07:46 PM
There's a feat in Dragonlance campeign setting that allows clerics to int-cast, but I forget the name of it.

sreservoir
2011-09-19, 07:54 PM
there are also a few third-party things which can help, but, well, third-party.

gorfnab
2011-09-19, 08:46 PM
There's a feat in Dragonlance campeign setting that allows clerics to int-cast, but I forget the name of it.
Academic Priest from Legends of the Twins.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-09-19, 08:53 PM
Yeah...BUT Academic priest keeps your DCs based off of wisdom...which means if you take it you can kiss offensive casting goodbye...AND it can only be taken at level 1 I believe..which means it won't work for you. My solution? Do what I do when I don't want to play a wis-based cleric. Become undead. Take a level in tainted sorcerer(can be found in the SRD)....now your casting stat is not any mental ability score but rather your taint score, which you have due to being undead. Best part? This taint score increases as you cast spells. Yes, tainted sorc is VERY cheesy and may get denied...but so long as you don't abuse it and make clear to your DM that you won't abuse it I'm sure you will be fine..

sreservoir
2011-09-19, 09:08 PM
I was thinking of lost tradition in bastards and bloodlines, actually.

Kyouhen
2011-09-19, 09:30 PM
Yeah...BUT Academic priest keeps your DCs based off of wisdom...which means if you take it you can kiss offensive casting goodbye...AND it can only be taken at level 1 I believe..which means it won't work for you. My solution? Do what I do when I don't want to play a wis-based cleric. Become undead. Take a level in tainted sorcerer(can be found in the SRD)....now your casting stat is not any mental ability score but rather your taint score, which you have due to being undead. Best part? This taint score increases as you cast spells. Yes, tainted sorc is VERY cheesy and may get denied...but so long as you don't abuse it and make clear to your DM that you won't abuse it I'm sure you will be fine..

As great as it would be to have that work, becoming undead is still a little tricky. That and I'd have to convince my DM to use taint (though considering the character he'd probably do it.)

I was thinking of lost tradition in bastards and bloodlines, actually.

Isn't Bastards and Bloodlines (and Legends of the Twins for that matter) a 3rd party publication? :smallconfused: I might be able to convince the DM to let me use it either way, but it'll go easier if it's an official source.

Wings of Peace
2011-09-19, 09:34 PM
As great as it would be to have that work, becoming undead is still a little tricky. That and I'd have to convince my DM to use taint (though considering the character he'd probably do it.)

Isn't Bastards and Bloodlines (and Legends of the Twins for that matter) a 3rd party publication? :smallconfused: I might be able to convince the DM to let me use it either way, but it'll go easier if it's an official source.

I'd try and convince him to allow Legend of the Twins since the first book in the Dragonlance line actually is primary material instead of 3rd party like the later books.

sreservoir
2011-09-19, 10:10 PM

I did mention that, yes.

Kyouhen
2011-09-19, 10:24 PM
And as is totally expected Lost Traditions and Academic Priest can both only be taken at level 1. :smallfrown: