PDA

View Full Version : Advice for "Druid"/?/Arcane Hierophant/Mystic Theurge

hillkitler
2011-09-19, 08:04 PM
So I'm currently playing a 3rd level Aasimar "Druid" (Sidhe Scholar variant from Dragon #339, pg. 90...basically a not so natural Druid).
Stats are:
STR - 8
CON - 10
DEX - 10
INT - 18
WIS - 23
CHA - 20

I'm wondering what I should take as my arcane class before I transition to Arcane Hierophant/Mystic Theurge. Any suggestions? Wizard is alright...Sorcerer may be a better choice, as my Charisma is slightly higher. I'm not crazy about either, to be honest. Either way, I'm using Precocious Apprentice to qualify. I'm totally open to NOT going the Arcane Hierophant/Mystic Theurge route if anyone has a better suggestion. I just want to play something fun and flavorful without going "Druid" 20. Any and all books are fair game, along with most 3rd party material, including Pathfinder.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-19, 08:38 PM
If you are would like to dip into the elemental side of druidry, consider a sha'iir from dragon compendium. It provides very nice utility casting with the whole wizard spell list just a short wait away. It is less ideal as a main casting class due to said wait, but paired with druid and acting as backup casting it would be great. Take acquire familiar to meet the prereqs for AH.

Another interesting route is Duskblade. Take 3 levels though. Casting druid spells through your weapon makes for some interesting combinations. Once again acquire a familiar thorough a feat.

Another interesting idea would be to go straight Sha'iir 8 into AH with a dip in PRC ranger for animal companion and other required prereqs, then go AH. Sha'iir casts both divine and arcane spells, so it qualifies for AH on it's own.

Captain Six
2011-09-19, 08:49 PM
Wu Jen has always been my favorite class to get into Arcane Hierophant. Because of your variant it might not fit in as well, but it's a flashy, flavorful class. If you're lucky you might get a DM who will let you use the Wu Jen spell list for Sorcerer.

Warmage is kind of bland but it will give you a lot of offensive options while letting you prepare your druid spells for utility and emergencies. Also Warmages can wear armor so they're usually popular with Theurge classes.

Darrin
2011-09-20, 07:44 AM
I'm wondering what I should take as my arcane class before I transition to Arcane Hierophant/Mystic Theurge. Any suggestions?

Bard.

Not only can you get dual 9th-level casting via Green Whisperer (Dragon #311) and Sublime Chord, but it fits the whole "Sidhe" theme. For Dual 9's:

Bard 2/Druid 3/Green Whisperer 2/Arcane Hierophant 3/Sublime Chord 1/Arcane Hierophant +7/Mystic Theurge 3.

If you're feeling really daring, spend two feats on Shape Soulmeld: Impulse Boots and Open Least Chakra: feet to get evasion, and finish off your last 9 levels with Fochlucan Lyrist (the Scuzzlebut of PrC Requirements).

Little Brother
2011-09-20, 08:29 AM
My personal advice? Don't, the theurge-type classes are traps.

If you really want to, either do Darrin's idea, or go Magic Mantled Spell-to-Power Erudite(you lose you psicrystal) 3/Cerebromancer X on the Erudite to get a decent ML and powers, then Arcane Hierophant/Planar Shepard and boost your Wild Shape.

If the Cerebromancer doesn't work(I don't see why it wouldn't except for the cheddar overload), Sublime Chord entry tricks would be your best bet. If you don't think you can give up the Psicrystal bonus feat, just take Ardent 1, and pick up another decent ability.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-20, 09:53 AM
My personal advice? Don't, the theurge-type classes are traps.

Right, because it totally turns them into tier 5 guys.

Theurge classes aren't traps, they're simply subpar. And since you're already a full caster with a big spell list, "subpar" means "I gotta wait another couple of levels before destroying the world".

Arcane Heirophant, however, is good, seeing as it advances wizard casting, druid casting, wild shape, animal companion, and familiar. The extra spells per day aren't worth much, but the expanded spell list plus the extra spells per day does make you far more versatile.