PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7: Is This a Problem?

dragonsamurai77
2011-09-19, 08:53 PM
I've just discovered that my "home" folder (the one with my name") is read-only. I did some research online and discovered that that doesn't mean that the files themselves are read-only, just the folders, but it still may or may not cause problems, depending on where I read. Does anyone know:

-Is this actually a problem?
-If so, can I fix it? I tried Microsoft's method, to no avail.

Tirian
2011-09-19, 09:00 PM
I'm not an ubergeek on the Windows experience, but my thought just means that you can't rename or delete that folder. Which is a good thing, since you'd only want to be able to manage that through your account controls.

Ranger Mattos
2011-09-19, 09:04 PM
I don't think it should a problem. I've got the same thing on my Windows XP desktop, and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Arminius
2011-09-19, 09:51 PM
Nothing installing Linux won't fix.:smallbiggrin:

The good news(also kind of bad news), is that it will only be a problem if you are doing any kind of network sharing from those folders (http://itexpertvoice.com/home/fixing-the-windows-7-read-only-folder-blues/). I'm assuming this is just your personal computer, so you will probably be fine.

dragonsamurai77
2011-09-19, 10:10 PM
Nothing installing Linux won't fix.:smallbiggrin:

The good news(also kind of bad news), is that it will only be a problem if you are doing any kind of network sharing from those folders (http://itexpertvoice.com/home/fixing-the-windows-7-read-only-folder-blues/). I'm assuming this is just your personal computer, so you will probably be fine.

Yes, just personal use, so I guess I'll be OK.

Mando Knight
2011-09-20, 01:48 AM
I've just discovered that my "home" folder (the one with my name") is read-only. I did some research online and discovered that that doesn't mean that the files themselves are read-only, just the folders, but it still may or may not cause problems, depending on where I read. Does anyone know:

-Is this actually a problem?
-If so, can I fix it? I tried Microsoft's method, to no avail.

You're fine. It doesn't really mean it's read-only, and I think it's been the default setting on Windows since as long as I can remember looking at the properties window.

Until you run into issues regarding the folder (note: if you have problems writing to a folder, it's usually a permissions issue in Win 7, not the fact that the folder's "read-only"), I'd just shrug and go "Oh, you silly Microsoft."

Neftren
2011-09-23, 01:39 PM
You're fine. You might get an Administrator prompt (UAC) when trying to copy files in and out of it. If it really drives you nuts, you can generally right click on the top level directory (right click the folder) and change the permissions, making sure to apply to all files, subfiles, and subfolders.